Crows 2015

Talk on the national game

Re: Crows 2015

Postby Robran » Sun Mar 22, 2015 8:48 pm

Im not sure if i missed something but was that worsfold yestie in crows colours and if so wat is his role???
GO THE COCKS
The mighty cocks 2018 premiers
Robran
League - Best 21

Has liked: 209 times
Been liked: 189 times

Postby carey » Sun Mar 22, 2015 8:51 pm

Robran wrote:Im not sure if i missed something but was that worsfold yestie in crows colours and if so wat is his role???

Was just a once of mate. Was asked to give his opinion on the 'game day' methods of the Adelaide football club.
you've gota keep on keep'n on .........
carey
Coach

Has liked: 2808 times
Been liked: 2996 times
Grassroots Team: Paralowie

Postby valleys07 » Sun Mar 22, 2015 9:36 pm

Red Rocket wrote:Did Hartigan end up getting a touch?
Last I heard the commentary he hadnt touched the ball and that was in the third quarter

1 Kick for the game. Massive deficiency for the AFC, but in saying that though- Walsh has committed to investing time in his development which is a positive step. They can't afford to make the mistake of fast-tracking Lever.
“Think of me like Yoda, but instead of being little and green I wear suits and I'm awesome. I'm your bro—I'm Broda!”

HOGG Shield 2015 Division I Premiers.
HOGG Shield 2017 Premier League Premiers.
valleys07
Coach

Has liked: 767 times
Been liked: 1169 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby hawks21 » Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:05 am

valleys07 wrote:
Last I heard the commentary he hadnt touched the ball and that was in the third quarter

1 Kick for the game. Massive deficiency for the AFC, but in saying that though- Walsh has committed to investing time in his development which is a positive step. They can't afford to make the mistake of fast-tracking Lever.

Didnt see the game but who was he standing and did they get a kick? Tahlia used to not get a kick from his opponent didnt either....if he does a job each week possessions will come
hawks21
Reserves

Has liked: 85 times
Been liked: 37 times

Postby valleys07 » Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:15 am

hawks21 wrote:
valleys07 wrote:

Didnt see the game but who was he standing and did they get a kick? Tahlia used to not get a kick from his opponent didnt either....if he does a job each week possessions will come

Both Hartigan and Cheney rotated on Butcher and Westhoff.
“Think of me like Yoda, but instead of being little and green I wear suits and I'm awesome. I'm your bro—I'm Broda!”

valleys07
Coach

Postby stan » Mon Mar 23, 2015 1:34 pm

valleys07 wrote:
hawks21 wrote:
valleys07 wrote:

Both Hartigan and Cheney rotated on Butcher and Westhoff.

And that is a weakness at the moment. Talia will cover the best defender with no worries but that second tall forward jas gotten away from you guys for the second week in a row.

Its a tough spot at the moment but when Lever comes on you guys will be pretty solid down there.
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1253 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby Booney » Mon Mar 23, 2015 4:45 pm

Brad Crouch has had an op on a fracture in his foot suffered in the NAB against Port.

Likely to be sidelined for 2 months.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7492 times
Been liked: 10774 times

Postby stan » Mon Mar 23, 2015 7:44 pm

Booney wrote:Brad Crouch has had an op on a fracture in his foot suffered in the NAB against Port.

Geez the boy has some crap luck.
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1253 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby hawks21 » Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:49 am

stan wrote:
Booney wrote:Brad Crouch has had an op on a fracture in his foot suffered in the NAB against Port.

Geez the boy has some crap luck.

Has he ever, hopefully he can come back and have a good second half of the season, the kid has some serious talent! His brother might be take his spot, 14 touches in the first half on saturday first hit out for the season are good signs.
hawks21
Reserves

Has liked: 85 times
Been liked: 37 times

Postby Gozu » Sun Apr 05, 2015 7:05 pm

We're the pride of South Australia...
"The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment" – Warren Bennis
Gozu
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 660 times

Postby daysofourlives » Sun Apr 05, 2015 8:13 pm

Gozu wrote:We're the pride of South Australia...

So proud you dont have them on the teams you support ;)
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
Spargo's Good Friday Cup Champion 2020
daysofourlives
Coach

Has liked: 2423 times
Been liked: 1660 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

Postby Robran » Sun Apr 05, 2015 9:34 pm

Clearly the captaincy sits well with taylor walker outstanding game by our new leader. danger was awesome again sad to here roo say that he thought it was 50/50 best to stay beyond this year.thought cheney was very good down back but i worry about hartigan im not sure how he will go. well done to van berlo coming back from a nasty injury but wish he will work on his disposal can be costly at times..
GO THE COCKS
The mighty cocks 2018 premiers
Robran
League - Best 21

Has liked: 209 times
Been liked: 189 times

Postby valleys07 » Mon Apr 06, 2015 1:03 am

Great win today (as much as it pains me to say that!)

I will hopefully get around to posting my review of the game tomorrow for those that are interested.

valleys07
Coach

Postby Gozu » Mon Apr 06, 2015 4:14 pm

daysofourlives wrote:
Gozu wrote:We're the pride of South Australia...

So proud you dont have them on the teams you support ;)

I became disillusioned during the Trigg/Craig era of stagnation.

I was only being a bit of a smartarse playing on the 'front running fans' riff.
"The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment" – Warren Bennis
Gozu
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 660 times

Postby valleys07 » Mon Apr 06, 2015 10:16 pm

Round 1 Review- Adelaide vs. North Melbourne- Roos Philthy as Tex stars!

AFC 21.14.140
NMFC 9.9.63

Goals- Walker 6, Betts 4, Jenkins 3, Sloane, Dangerfield 2, Smith, Lynch, Laird, Cameron 1.

Thank me Crows fans- this isn’t easy :lol: !

Sitting at Adelaide Oval yesterday I honestly can’t say I was surprised at the way the Crows played, what did surprise me however, was just how poor North Melbourne were. The crows were simply clinical yesterday, their strengths used with such authority that their weaknesses didn’t even look like being exploited. Watching them in NAB 3 against the Power- it’s evident the crows are a far better contested outfit this season. Throughout his time at Port Adelaide, Walsh was known for his strong emphasis on 2 way running, with winning contested footy, pressure defence when without the footy and sticking tackles a “recipe for success” through his partnership with Hinkley- a main reason why the Power ranked 3rd for contested possession, 2nd for tackles, 2nd for clearances and 3rd for 1 % acts in 2014. The crows in the same statistical categories under Sanderson/Camporeale ranked 7th/17th/10th/11th- a massive contrast in workrate. It’s in the aforementioned 4 categories which will signify Adelaide’s improvement in 2015- and was it on show yesterday!

Chatting to my Roo supporting mate at the start of the day, we both agreed that the game would be won in the midfield. Adelaide have an obvious Achilles heel in the backline, with only Talia widely renowned as a consistent shut down defender. The Roos needed quick ball from the likes of Dal Santo, Cunnington, Swallow, Wells to give Waite and Petrie one out contests. Well Goldstein did his job but after that the Roos were absolutely belted in the midfield. Sloane, Dangerfield and Douglas just helped themselves to clearance after clearance, and with minimal defensive pressure from the Roos, found Walker and Lynch on the lead as if it were a training drill. Whatever these blokes didn’t catch, Betts found. Clinical.

Back to my area of improvement- how did the crows fare? Contested possessions won 142-115, tackles won 57-50, clearances dominated 40-27 and 1% acts won 43-30- The Walsh effect. The Roos were deprived of the footy to the point the crows rank #1 in the comp so far for least opponent kicks per game, and unlike previous seasons under Sanderson- the crows possessed the footy with intent- their ranking of #1 in kicks over the round suggesting they are prepared to wait for the option to appear, rather than blazing away. Consequently Walker registers 15 marks (9 I50) for 6 goals, Jenkins 7 marks (4 I50) for 3 goals and Lynch 5 marks (2 I50) for a goal. Only time will tell how they fare when placed under the level of pressure such as that applied by a Fremantle or Hawthorn- a great start and positive change none the less.

My Top 5:

Taylor Walker- He is my Robbie Gray of 2015. It takes a player 12 months to get back from a knee recon, and another 12 months to get back to their best and Walker stamped an almighty captain’s presence on yesterday’s game, and a message to the competitions best defenders that he means business for 2015. In fairness every key forward would have dominated with that level of service, but 22 touches, 15 marks, 6.5 and 2 goal assists resemble numbers only Carey used to put up. 3 votes mark it down.

Rory Sloane- I hate the Adelaide Football Club with a passion, but if I had choice of one player to play for the Power- it would be Rory. Tough, Respected, Skillfull and a Determined character- everything you want at your footy club. Was brilliant around stoppages yesterday and was dominant on the spread and on the counter. Numbers of 26 possessions (13 contested), 6 marks, 5 clearances, 5 tackles and 2 goals represent a really good day at the office. Teams such as Hawthorn and Sydney have multi-dimensional midfields capable of winning contested footy, dominating on the outside and hitting the scoreboard. Rory ticked all the boxes yesterday in a great game.

Eddie Betts- I’m a self-proclaimed knocker of Betts, particularly his output against the top 4 sides- but week by week he is silencing his doubters. You can only beat the opposition that is put in front of you, and Betts played a quality small forward game. Walker made things easy- if he wasn’t taking grabs on the lead or clunking a pack mark, the ball was headed to the foot where the #18 would swoop through and either set up a team mate or snap a goal. 21 possessions, 7 tackles, 4 goals and 2 goal assists is as quality game from a small forward as you are likely to see.

Richard Douglas- Since his maiden Malcolm Blight medal win, Richard Douglas is a rather unassuming but damaging midfielder. Whilst much of the focus is on Dangerfield, Sloane and Smith- Dougy goes about his business with damaging effect. The games leading possession winner with 31 touches, he also recorded 9 clearances, 7 I50s and 2 goal assists. The only flaw on his game yesterday was his disposal efficiency, going at 61%.

Rory Laird- Crows fans will ask “What the, Valleys? Where is Danger??”- Well Rory’s game ranks above that. Got the better of Harvey, restricting him to 18 touches and no scoreboard impact, whilst collecting 24 touches and 3 R50’s himself. Either Sando had absolutely no idea how to use him, or he is one of the many crows to have had great pre-seasons and is reaping the rewards.

Honourable Mentions:

Patrick Dangerfield- One cog in an impressive midfield unit yesterday. 25 touches (16 contested), 6 clearances and 2 goals. Left foot on the run in the last following his own work from the centre clearance all class.

Daniel Talia/Kyle Hartigan- Played great games on Petrie and Waite- restricting them to 1 goal in total.

Cam Ellis-Yolmen- Has had a ripping pre-season and looked very promising in his 2nd game. Has always been a very good contested player but much maligned user of the footy by foot. 15 touches (8 uncontested) @ 80% DE shows he has worked hard on that side of his game and is reaping the rewards.

Well 1-0 and sitting pretty atop of the table is a nice feeling for Crows fans, rendering me to an uncomfortable working week!

The biggest thing for Adelaide now is maintaining that level of intensity. Walsh and his team, as well as their supporters have now seen just how good they look in full flight, surely the question lingers- we have seen our best, what is our worst- how big is the gap? This will ultimately decide where Adelaide finish in 2015, and just how far they have progressed. So far- the signs look good. I am certainly looking forward to our R5 meeting, in what is already shaping up to be a corker of a showdown.

Valleys.

valleys07
Coach

Postby heater31 » Mon Apr 06, 2015 10:30 pm

Very good assessment from the non biased point of view (well mostly...) Don't let the Advertiser get hold of these they may give you a job and commence their brainwashing.
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1263 times

Postby Fluffbag » Tue Apr 07, 2015 12:40 pm

I was surprised that North dropped Ben Brown as one of the crows main weaknesses is a lack of height in the backline and I thought you would test them with 3 talls.
Fluffbag
Under 16s

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 48 times
Grassroots Team: Modbury

Postby Ron Burgundy » Tue Apr 07, 2015 1:06 pm

valleys07 wrote:Round 1 Review- Adelaide vs. North Melbourne- Roos Philthy as Tex stars!

AFC 21.14.140
NMFC 9.9.63

Goals- Walker 6, Betts 4, Jenkins 3, Sloane, Dangerfield 2, Smith, Lynch, Laird, Cameron 1.

Sitting at Adelaide Oval yesterday I honestly can’t say I was surprised at the way the Crows played, what did surprise me however, was just how poor North Melbourne were. The crows were simply clinical yesterday, their strengths used with such authority that their weaknesses didn’t even look like being exploited. Watching them in NAB 3 against the Power- it’s evident the crows are a far better contested outfit this season. Throughout his time at Port Adelaide, Walsh was known for his strong emphasis on 2 way running, with winning contested footy, pressure defence when without the footy and sticking tackles a “recipe for success” through his partnership with Hinkley- a main reason why the Power ranked 3rd for contested possession, 2nd for tackles, 2nd for clearances and 3rd for 1 % acts in 2014. The crows in the same statistical categories under Sanderson/Camporeale ranked 7th/17th/10th/11th- a massive contrast in workrate. It’s in the aforementioned 4 categories which will signify Adelaide’s improvement in 2015- and was it on show yesterday!

A few statistical corrections.

Last season Adelaide ranked 2nd for Ave Contested Possessions, Port Adelaide 7th. (Adelaide had 2.6 more Contested Possies a game)
Last Season Adelaide ranked 17th for Average Tackles, Port Adelaide 6th. (Port Laid 7 more Tackles a game)
Last Season Adelaide ranked 8th for Clearances, Port Adelaide 2nd (Port had 1.1 more Clearances a game)
Last Season Adelaide ranked 8th for Average 1%ers, Port Adelaide 6th (Port had 0.8 more 1%ers a game)

Completely agree with workrate comments. Tackling pressure is a great reflection of workrate. Adelaide trailed Port considerably last season.
However Adelaide and Port were statistically similar with the other 3 'recipes for success' with Adelaide actually averaging more CP per match. Not sure if you used gross numbers or averages for these stats, but using averages provides a more rounded comparison.

Enjoyed the write up! Great stuff.
Ron Burgundy
League - Best 21

Has liked: 174 times
Been liked: 137 times

Postby MW » Tue Apr 07, 2015 1:10 pm

Fluffbag wrote:I was surprised that North dropped Ben Brown as one of the crows main weaknesses is a lack of height in the backline and I thought you would test them with 3 talls.

Always a risk though as most often a Cheney type will come in and kill the marking contest spilling it to the defenders who, being smaller and quicker will run it out.

I don't think NM can fit Brown, Waite and Petrie in the same forward line.
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2602 times
Been liked: 1846 times

Postby valleys07 » Tue Apr 07, 2015 1:16 pm

Ron Burgundy wrote:
valleys07 wrote:Round 1 Review- Adelaide vs. North Melbourne- Roos Philthy as Tex stars!

AFC 21.14.140
NMFC 9.9.63

A few statistical corrections.

Last season Adelaide ranked 2nd for Ave Contested Possessions, Port Adelaide 7th. (Adelaide had 2.6 more Contested Possies a game)
Last Season Adelaide ranked 17th for Average Tackles, Port Adelaide 6th. (Port Laid 7 more Tackles a game)
Last Season Adelaide ranked 8th for Clearances, Port Adelaide 2nd (Port had 1.1 more Clearances a game)
Last Season Adelaide ranked 8th for Average 1%ers, Port Adelaide 6th (Port had 0.8 more 1%ers a game)

Completely agree with workrate comments. Tackling pressure is a great reflection of workrate. Adelaide trailed Port considerably last season.
However Adelaide and Port were statistically similar with the other 3 'recipes for success' with Adelaide actually averaging more CP per match. Not sure if you used gross numbers or averages for these stats, but using averages provides a more rounded comparison.

Enjoyed the write up! Great stuff.

A fair point there Ron- I did use gross numbers where average would have been a far better number to use. I guess the point I was trying to emphasize was 2 way running and workrate- which came across at the end of the day.

A massive improvement for the crows in this area!

valleys07
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL