HFL Division 2 (Country)

Talk on any country footy league or club from the SA Country area

Re: HFL Country Division

Postby choppy » Mon Mar 23, 2015 4:57 pm

Elmer J Thudpucker wrote:
choppy wrote:Any body have any goss on how Bridgy are looking this year, coming from Div 1 will they take Div 2 by storm like Lofty did, me thinks not

Who knows how we'll go. We were certainly a better Central Division A Grade side than Lofty were when they went down (we won 6 games last year), however have lost a couple of players in the off-season, and got a couple back the other way.

We have no expectations, nor are we taking anything for granted. Clearly other sides in Div. 2 are recruiting up for a big year (Kersbrook, Nairne, Meadows). But, make no mistake, we will not be changing the philosophy of building our future on our youngsters, supplemented with some wise old heads.

Looking forward to hosting all Div. 2 clubs at Bridgy or Callington (both ovals are looking a treat) and visiting some ovals for the first time.

I think Lofty recruited well to come to Div2 if that makes sense probably a better team than when they left Div . I would believe most clubs have the same philosophy just need a couple of extras to compliment their local base of players. Surely you would have expectations, would you not be disappointed to make top 3?
choppy
Rookie

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 3 times

Postby Elmer J Thudpucker » Mon Mar 23, 2015 5:09 pm

choppy wrote:
choppy wrote:Any body have any goss on how Bridgy are looking this year, coming from Div 1 will they take Div 2 by storm like Lofty did, me thinks not

Who knows how we'll go. We were certainly a better Central Division A Grade side than Lofty were when they went down (we won 6 games last year), however have lost a couple of players in the off-season, and got a couple back the other way.

We have no expectations, nor are we taking anything for granted. Clearly other sides in Div. 2 are recruiting up for a big year (Kersbrook, Nairne, Meadows). But, make no mistake, we will not be changing the philosophy of building our future on our youngsters, supplemented with some wise old heads.

Looking forward to hosting all Div. 2 clubs at Bridgy or Callington (both ovals are looking a treat) and visiting some ovals for the first time.

I think Lofty recruited well to come to Div2 if that makes sense probably a better team than when they left Div . I would believe most clubs have the same philosophy just need a couple of extras to compliment their local base of players. Surely you would have expectations, would you not be disappointed to make top 3?

Yes you're correct. If you want to push deep into finals you need to finish in the top 3 - that is the goal, but it's not an expectation.

I know Lofty recruited Ben Gordon who kicked over 100 goals, but not sure who else? (Peterson-Gray only played 3 games so I don't count him).
Elmer J Thudpucker
Rookie

Been liked: 31 times
Grassroots Team: Bridgewater

Postby Toto » Mon Mar 23, 2015 10:01 pm

choppy wrote:

Yes you're correct. If you want to push deep into finals you need to finish in the top 3 - that is the goal, but it's not an expectation.

I know Lofty recruited Ben Gordon who kicked over 100 goals, but not sure who else? (Peterson-Gray only played 3 games so I don't count him).

We(Nairne) have only actually "recruited" two players. The rest were players coming here to play off their own back which is fantastic for the club! Spent a long time mid-pack the last few years building out local youngsters in to solid A graders(Rupcic brothers, Davey, Smith, Gamma, Strout if he can get is body right, etc.) and have a fantastic coach in Tony Fielke drilling them in to the game style he wants. Very keen to get the year underway and give it a good crack! I think it will be a bit more of an open year than previous seasons, which makes everything more exciting!
Welcome to the Raiders as well, can't wait to have a good out against your club.
Toto
Under 16s

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 20 times

Postby redsox » Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:12 pm

Meadows have dropped their Under 13's and Maccy have pulled their Under 17's and joined up with Kangarilla making it a 6 team U/17 comp.

I can see why Echunga did what they did to stay out of this comp.
redsox

Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 2 times

Postby Elmer J Thudpucker » Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:32 pm

redsox wrote:Meadows have dropped their Under 13's and Maccy have pulled their Under 17's and joined up with Kangarilla making it a 6 team U/17 comp.

...and you can see why most other Div 2 clubs fought so hard to have Sedan Cambrai not allowed to remain in given they had no junior teams at all, only to have their wishes overturned by the HFL to appease the leftover Hahndorf junior colts.
Elmer J Thudpucker
Rookie

Postby redsox » Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:36 pm

Mount Lofty, Blackwood, Hahndorf and Mt Barker all with second teams in the Div 2 Under 13 comp.
redsox

Postby running defender » Thu Mar 26, 2015 12:18 am

Who is running this league the big 4 clubs or the board? At this very moment I'd say the big 4 clubs they just plonked there left over kids where ever it suits them the board says great look at Div 2 all those junior teams meanwhile Kangarilla almost extinct , and at least 5 other clubs in both Div's struggling for kids . I'll say in 5 to 7 yrs 3 clubs will be no longer with us and this board will be responsible. For f**k sake fill the clubs that are struggling first or in 5 yrs time you all might playing each other 4 time's a year that would be interesting not.
running defender
Rookie

Been liked: 14 times
Grassroots Team: Echunga

Postby cracka » Thu Mar 26, 2015 7:38 am

redsox wrote:Meadows have dropped their Under 13's and Maccy have pulled their Under 17's and joined up with Kangarilla making it a 6 team U/17 comp.

I thought Hahndorf were helping Kangarilla in U17's & Mt Barker were helping Maccy.
cracka
Veteran

Has liked: 462 times
Been liked: 567 times
Grassroots Team: Onkaparinga Valley

Postby redsox » Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:55 am

cracka wrote:

I thought Hahndorf were helping Kangarilla in U17's & Mt Barker were helping Maccy.

I think all 4 Clubs are going to make 1 super team.
redsox

Postby choppy » Fri Mar 27, 2015 8:08 am

I really think its time to get serious about the junior teams and not just talk about, like we have been for the last five years and nothing changes. I think we need to go back to concentrating on fielding two junior teams on a Saturday for both divisions. With junior colts and senior colts as the number 1 priority, fill those teams first at least most if not all of the clubs would be able to fill those grades, 4 games together as a club on Saturday is better than everyone scattered everywhere. u/15s go back to u/14 1/2 and leave the 17/s as are. If you have enough kids for a 13/s you nominate a team and you all play each other as in one division lets face it there may be 14 teams at most, because I believe some div 1 clubs are struggling to fill a side as is. If the bigger clubs have two teams they can even them out to be about the same in ability. You can still play these games before junior colts if both clubs that play each other have mini colts or they can play Friday nights as what has been happening in Div 2 from time to time. Furthermore if you have enough numbers to warrant we could re-introduce the u12 grades as discussed early last year by the board. I know their will be knockers which is fine but I cant think of any other solution, capping I believe wont work fact is the parents are the ones driving the kids and for what ever reason don't like to travel to far. All I know is it isn't getting better the way it is and clubs are losing their way trying to fill the three junior grades when there isn't enough kids to go around. I think if the pressure was off to fill a mini colts team most clubs would have two really healthy colts teams. Please don't get on here saying "clubs need to work harder to get kids" I think most clubs are working pretty hard to get kids and then trying to retain their own.
choppy
Rookie

Postby Elmer J Thudpucker » Fri Mar 27, 2015 8:21 am

choppy wrote:I really think its time to get serious about the junior teams and not just talk about, like we have been for the last five years and nothing changes. I think we need to go back to concentrating on fielding two junior teams on a Saturday for both divisions. With junior colts and senior colts as the number 1 priority, fill those teams first at least most if not all of the clubs would be able to fill those grades, 4 games together as a club on Saturday is better than everyone scattered everywhere. u/15s go back to u/14 1/2 and leave the 17/s as are. If you have enough kids for a 13/s you nominate a team and you all play each other as in one division lets face it there may be 14 teams at most, because I believe some div 1 clubs are struggling to fill a side as is. If the bigger clubs have two teams they can even them out to be about the same in ability. You can still play these games before junior colts if both clubs that play each other have mini colts or they can play Friday nights as what has been happening in Div 2 from time to time. Furthermore if you have enough numbers to warrant we could re-introduce the u12 grades as discussed early last year by the board. I know their will be knockers which is fine but I cant think of any other solution, capping I believe wont work fact is the parents are the ones driving the kids and for what ever reason don't like to travel to far. All I know is it isn't getting better the way it is and clubs are losing their way trying to fill the three junior grades when there isn't enough kids to go around. I think if the pressure was off to fill a mini colts team most clubs would have two really healthy colts teams. Please don't get on here saying "clubs need to work harder to get kids" I think most clubs are working pretty hard to get kids and then trying to retain their own.

You've nailed it - 100% agree.

This is entirely consistent with the submission made by Bridgewater to the HFL Review committee last year.
Elmer J Thudpucker
Rookie

Postby cracka » Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:52 am

choppy wrote:I really think its time to get serious about the junior teams and not just talk about, like we have been for the last five years and nothing changes. I think we need to go back to concentrating on fielding two junior teams on a Saturday for both divisions. With junior colts and senior colts as the number 1 priority, fill those teams first at least most if not all of the clubs would be able to fill those grades, 4 games together as a club on Saturday is better than everyone scattered everywhere. u/15s go back to u/14 1/2 and leave the 17/s as are. If you have enough kids for a 13/s you nominate a team and you all play each other as in one division lets face it there may be 14 teams at most, because I believe some div 1 clubs are struggling to fill a side as is. If the bigger clubs have two teams they can even them out to be about the same in ability. You can still play these games before junior colts if both clubs that play each other have mini colts or they can play Friday nights as what has been happening in Div 2 from time to time. Furthermore if you have enough numbers to warrant we could re-introduce the u12 grades as discussed early last year by the board. I know their will be knockers which is fine but I cant think of any other solution, capping I believe wont work fact is the parents are the ones driving the kids and for what ever reason don't like to travel to far. All I know is it isn't getting better the way it is and clubs are losing their way trying to fill the three junior grades when there isn't enough kids to go around. I think if the pressure was off to fill a mini colts team most clubs would have two really healthy colts teams. Please don't get on here saying "clubs need to work harder to get kids" I think most clubs are working pretty hard to get kids and then trying to retain their own.

This is entirely consistent with the submission made by Bridgewater to the HFL Review committee last year.

Only thing with that is some leagues nearby have an U18 age group so we could lose players to those leagues.
cracka
Veteran

Postby choppy » Fri Mar 27, 2015 11:36 am

cracka wrote:

Only thing with that is some leagues nearby have an U18 age group so we could lose players to those leagues.

We already play U17/1/2 now just keep it like that as posted.
choppy
Rookie

Postby cracka » Fri Mar 27, 2015 1:07 pm

choppy wrote:
cracka wrote:

We already play U17/1/2 now just keep it like that as posted.

Sorry misread your original post.
cracka
Veteran

Postby Legs Man » Fri Mar 27, 2015 2:01 pm

It is a fact that the smaller towns have limited numbers with respect to their junior grades - and the larger towns have an abundance.
Unfortunately propping up the small towns with an overflow scheme just won't work if the larger towns get to pick where their overflow kids play.
Introducing a feeder system where a Div 1 club is geographically aligned to a Div 2 club also has it's flaws due to some of the Div 1 clubs also struggling for junior players.
I do feel though that the larger clubs - by junior registrations - must be made to derive an A list to a certain number for both junior grades then allow dual registration for the overflow players to the club of their choice.
This option must be provided though as a rule to ensure it is implemented and enforced.
Parents then also have a say in where the overflow player dual registers and are more likely to support the scheme.
We have a problem currently with the larger junior clubs guarding their players which is in turn affecting the smaller clubs.
Once a junior player enters senior football the dual registration is annulled and the player must register with one of the 2 clubs.
Making the entry point for junior players looks like another logical solution with a lower bracket of u/ 14 introduced.
If clubs have junior sides below this eg u/12, u/10 then this is made into a separate junior program with only 1 registration allowed.

Unless the clubs as a whole and HFL make some smart moves and action change to the junior competition we will be in a situation where the spread of juniors across the hills is totally depleted and only a few large clubs will be fielding sides.
There are so many options now for kids playing sport or being active in other ways so positioning footy as the number 1 option is vital to keep hills footy flourishing.
It's easy to say - but hard to do - and to make this happen clubs have to be unselfish and willing to give a little to gain a lot.
Legs Man
Under 16s

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 44 times

Postby Stinga » Fri Mar 27, 2015 4:02 pm

Sounds reasonable to me Legs Man. We need those HFL clubs with an abundance of juniors to see the bigger picture - surely as a competition we are better to see as many kids playing footy as possible..... I am aware of one club who deliberately make it "difficult" for their overflow kids to play elsewhere even for just one season. They say that once they go, they never come back. I think that's says more about that particular club, than it does of the kid (and the parents) who just want to play footy every week.
Stinga
Mini-League

Has liked: 3 times
Grassroots Team: Macclesfield

Postby cossi11 » Fri Mar 27, 2015 4:25 pm

Off topic... are there any trials on this weekend?
2020 AFL Premiers: Richmond 12.9.81 def Geelong 7.8.50
2019 AFL Premiers: Richmond 17.12.114 def Greater Western Sydney 3.7.25
2017 AFL Premiers: Adelaide 8.12.60 def by Richmond 16.12.108
2012 D5 Premiers: Brahma Lodge 24.15.159 def Hope Valley 7.13.55
cossi11
League - Top 5

Has liked: 58 times
Been liked: 91 times

Postby carey » Fri Mar 27, 2015 6:27 pm

cossi11 wrote:Off topic... are there any trials on this weekend?

2015 Div 6 premiers v Gumeraca at Gum Sunday.
you've gota keep on keep'n on .........
carey
Coach

Has liked: 2809 times
Been liked: 2997 times
Grassroots Team: Paralowie

Postby carey » Fri Mar 27, 2015 6:29 pm

Kersbrook v Ingle Farm tomorrow. Unsure where.

Might head out and see if Jock is as a good a full back as he tells me.
you've gota keep on keep'n on .........
carey
Coach

Has liked: 2809 times
Been liked: 2997 times
Grassroots Team: Paralowie

Postby Monopoly Man » Fri Mar 27, 2015 6:36 pm

Anyone know Birdwood went against Mannum last week?
Monopoly Man
Rookie

Been liked: 6 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Country Footy