Southern Football League

A forum dedicated to the Southern Football League!

Re: Southern Football League

Postby Luke15 » Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:29 am

Mister Footy wrote:
godra wrote:Have heard Happy Valley was beaten comprehensively by Willunga on Saturday. How is Keemy going with the boys? Any major outs for HV?

A's and B's had trial against Willunga but no 18s game so 18s mixed up in senior teams. B's won and A's lost by about 4 goals I reckon. Probably 10 of the starting A grade didn't play and team had 8 18s in the side against a quality opposition. Keamy's first go at throwing team around - some B graders stood up and some didnt in the A grade. Good games to watch.

Willunga a great club - thanks for the run.

Major outs already on the forum but if you are too lazy to go back a few pages - McKenzie, McNamara, Borowski, Raitt, Sugg

Pretty happy with some quality ins :D :D :D

I reckon Keamy will be great for the younger guys. Who are the quality INS Mister Footy.
Luke15
Rookie

Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 18 times

Postby Oldman Munga » Wed Mar 25, 2015 11:17 am

Heard that MM @ SFL HQ has had a gutful of the points system and wants it canned , the model used in NTFL is each club has 22 and never changes , thoughts anyone ??
Oldman Munga
Rookie

Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 13 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby Look Good In Leather » Wed Mar 25, 2015 11:53 am

Oldman Munga wrote:Heard that MM @ SFL HQ has had a gutful of the points system and wants it canned , the model used in NTFL is each club has 22 and never changes , thoughts anyone ??

The points system is a joke, has inflated player prices and done nothing to "equalise" as it suggests.

Is purely there to protect the SANFL and SAAFL, and fails on both accounts.
Look Good In Leather
League - Best 21

Has liked: 150 times
Been liked: 284 times
Grassroots Team: Christies Beach

Postby BFG » Wed Mar 25, 2015 12:19 pm

Look Good In Leather wrote:
Oldman Munga wrote:Heard that MM @ SFL HQ has had a gutful of the points system and wants it canned , the model used in NTFL is each club has 22 and never changes , thoughts anyone ??

The points system is a joke, has inflated player prices and done nothing to "equalise" as it suggests.

Is purely there to protect the SANFL and SAAFL, and fails on both accounts.

agree, agree, agree! the points system has done nothing to stop mass player movements away from clubs and has definately increased player payments on average. It's broken and needs to be either majorly overhauled or scrapped.
BFG
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 25 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby qwerty » Wed Mar 25, 2015 3:34 pm

Couldn't agree more with the above comments, get rid of the system and if you want to limit player movements etc then cap it as OMM has said at say 15-17points.

Imagine the issues it will cause going forward for clubs given the state of the u/18 competition in the SLF. If the SFL wants to improve the standard of the league the points system is certainly not helping and is becoming a hinderance for clubs that are trying to be proactive and make their sides more competitive.

I also hear, others may feel free to correct me, 5 or 6 clubs have already applied for additional points and all have been knocked back - Happy Valley, Morphettvile Park, Noarlunga, Hackham and I can't recall the other/s that were mentioned.
qwerty
Under 16s

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 4 times

Postby Look Good In Leather » Wed Mar 25, 2015 3:39 pm

qwerty wrote:Couldn't agree more with the above comments, get rid of the system and if you want to limit player movements etc then cap it as OMM has said at say 15-17points.

Imagine the issues it will cause going forward for clubs given the state of the u/18 competition in the SLF. If the SFL wants to improve the standard of the league the points system is certainly not helping and is becoming a hinderance for clubs that are trying to be proactive and make their sides more competitive.

I also hear, others may feel free to correct me, 5 or 6 clubs have already applied for additional points and all have been knocked back - Happy Valley, Morphettvile Park, Noarlunga, Hackham and I can't recall the other/s that were mentioned.

Christies Beach had additional points allocated for this season, approved as part of our application at the start of last season. In November they decided to change and reduce our allocation. Seems in their eyes we overachieved last year.
Look Good In Leather
League - Best 21

Postby qwerty » Wed Mar 25, 2015 3:56 pm

Hear the same thing has happened at the shoes in-terms of the SFL agreed to a points allocation over a couple of years, now a few player retirements, player movements/crows reserves and season injuries that are all 0 or low points. Guess H.V lost a few 0 pointers also by what was said on the previous page with retirements/guys moving on and as you said with Christies having allocated points agreed upon, kind of screws up your recuriting plans, I see a crate left christies pressumably 0 points so that effictively costs you six points to replace that player, doesn't seem fair really.
qwerty
Under 16s

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 4 times

Postby Oldman Munga » Wed Mar 25, 2015 6:48 pm

qwerty wrote:Hear the same thing has happened at the shoes in-terms of the SFL agreed to a points allocation over a couple of years, now a few player retirements, player movements/crows reserves and season injuries that are all 0 or low points. Guess H.V lost a few 0 pointers also by what was said on the previous page with retirements/guys moving on and as you said with Christies having allocated points agreed upon, kind of screws up your recuriting plans, I see a crate left christies pressumably 0 points so that effictively costs you six points to replace that player, doesn't seem fair really.

Noarlunga have not applied for points as such , just want the 14 as agreed with the SFL last season , to then be told its 12 by the board , it just hogties clubs that put in the hard yards to attract good players to the League
Oldman Munga
Rookie

Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 13 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby Front & Centre » Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:45 pm

qwerty wrote:Hear the same thing has happened at the shoes in-terms of the SFL agreed to a points allocation over a couple of years, now a few player retirements, player movements/crows reserves and season injuries that are all 0 or low points. Guess H.V lost a few 0 pointers also by what was said on the previous page with retirements/guys moving on and as you said with Christies having allocated points agreed upon, kind of screws up your recuriting plans, I see a crate left christies pressumably 0 points so that effictively costs you six points to replace that player, doesn't seem fair really.

Doubt HV have applied for more points - some of their recruits this year are juniors returning to club therefore 0 points
Front & Centre
Rookie

Has liked: 33 times
Been liked: 12 times
Grassroots Team: Happy Valley

Postby shoe boy » Thu Mar 26, 2015 7:13 am

Great to see the above comments.
This system is a restriction on trade and as clubs we all have sponsors and members to answer to.
This also makes you wonder is the board of the SFL representing the best interest of the clubs or just bowing to the CFB ?
shoe boy
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 488 times
Been liked: 209 times

Postby shoe boy » Thu Mar 26, 2015 8:44 am

Over the wend on a business trip I met with senior board member of a very strong league who also raised the same points that have been debated above. "Equalisation" my arse was one of his comments and pointed out to me that a number of clubs have rallied to protect their business model (THE CLUB) from more restraints.

He informed me that a break away comp was an option and has been discussed at senior level with a major sponsor keen to get involved.

This made me think how a Super League would look if you had SFL/HFL/GSFL/RMFL look at this model with no restraints. A great game of footy every wend , bumper crowds, happy members and more so happy sponsors that see their money spent well with a solid business model.

Umpires would also love to be involved in a well run comp with administration from member clubs.

Just a thought because something has to be done!
shoe boy
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 488 times
Been liked: 209 times

Postby Front & Centre » Thu Mar 26, 2015 3:03 pm

shoe boy wrote:Over the wend on a business trip I met with senior board member of a very strong league who also raised the same points that have been debated above. "Equalisation" my arse was one of his comments and pointed out to me that a number of clubs have rallied to protect their business model (THE CLUB) from more restraints.

He informed me that a break away comp was an option and has been discussed at senior level with a major sponsor keen to get involved.

This made me think how a Super League would look if you had SFL/HFL/GSFL/RMFL look at this model with no restraints. A great game of footy every wend , bumper crowds, happy members and more so happy sponsors that see their money spent well with a solid business model.

Umpires would also love to be involved in a well run comp with administration from member clubs.

Breakaway comp from the SFL has been discussed at the upper most levels within some of the strongest clubs in the SFL and surrounding leagues. Think that is about the worst kept secret going around.
Front & Centre
Rookie

Has liked: 33 times
Been liked: 12 times
Grassroots Team: Happy Valley

Postby Look Good In Leather » Thu Mar 26, 2015 4:39 pm

Front & Centre wrote:
shoe boy wrote:Over the wend on a business trip I met with senior board member of a very strong league who also raised the same points that have been debated above. "Equalisation" my arse was one of his comments and pointed out to me that a number of clubs have rallied to protect their business model (THE CLUB) from more restraints.

Breakaway comp from the SFL has been discussed at the upper most levels within some of the strongest clubs in the SFL and surrounding leagues. Think that is about the worst kept secret going around.

Did I hear someone say SAFA?
Look Good In Leather
League - Best 21

Postby Dutchy » Thu Mar 26, 2015 8:18 pm

So OSB/L play Aldinga this Saturday, is that right? Any junior games or just A/B grade?
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2329 times
Been liked: 3541 times

Postby Look Good In Leather » Thu Mar 26, 2015 11:25 pm

Dutchy wrote:So OSB/L play Aldinga this Saturday, is that right? Any junior games or just A/B grade?

Would have to be only A/B, no junior program yet
Look Good In Leather
League - Best 21

Postby ol man emu » Fri Mar 27, 2015 7:00 am

shoe boy wrote:Great to see the above comments.
This system is a restriction on trade and as clubs we all have sponsors and members to answer to.
This also makes you wonder is the board of the SFL representing the best interest of the clubs or just bowing to the CFB ?

Business model, restriction of trade, answer to members and sponsors.
This is grass roots football.
What about developing juniors. and a couple of top up players.
EMUS? the rock stars of the outback.
emus are berserk. they run fast, playhard,
and to be honest, we admire their insanity.
ol man emu
Under 16s

Been liked: 7 times
Grassroots Team: Morphett Vale

Postby Look Good In Leather » Fri Mar 27, 2015 7:13 am

ol man emu wrote:

Grass roots football is the juniors. Our A-Grade teams represent our communities.
Look Good In Leather
League - Best 21

Postby cracka » Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:18 am

Look Good In Leather wrote:
ol man emu wrote:

Grass roots football is the juniors. Our A-Grade teams represent our communities.

So this proposed break away super league would be just A's & B's???
cracka
Veteran

Has liked: 462 times
Been liked: 567 times
Grassroots Team: Onkaparinga Valley

Postby MatteeG » Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:12 am

ol man emu wrote:

Nah- just ask for more points. Worked in 2014. Should be the model followed by all clubs.
helicopterking wrote:Flaggies will choke. Always have.
MatteeG
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 524 times
Been liked: 511 times
Grassroots Team: Flagstaff Hill

Postby Luke15 » Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:22 am

ol man emu wrote:

Here Here Ol Man Emu!!! Finally someone talking sense. What Merit and future is there in making a break away super league. How about clubs put more time and money into sorting out club culture and their juniors for sustained development instead of trying to bring in all these outside players and ask for extra points and win flags.

This is local footy, going to a local ground on a Saturday and watching all 5 grades play is what is it all about. Instead people want to take this special occurence out and let Money dictate again.
Luke15
Rookie

Been liked: 18 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  SFL