Southern Football League

A forum dedicated to the Southern Football League!

Re: Southern Football League

Postby godra » Mon Mar 30, 2015 1:37 pm

jet-airport wrote:
godra wrote:
Keyser Soze wrote:Ladder predictions for 2015

Reynella - will only lose 1 or 2 games all year
Morphett Vale - will be the only team to beat Reynella
Noarlunga - injuries the key not far away from top 2
Flagstaff Hill - improvers into top 4
Happy Valley - 1st round against Falcons is big but must cover some off season losses
Brighton - on the improve and added to list this season
Port Noarlunga - same as Shoes any injuries will decide big games, great year last year
Christies Beach - can they close the gap on the top 6

Morphettville Park - depth an issue, good players quality but getting older
Cove - some losses to cover bit of an unknown but a young team
Hackham - have they covered the losses from pre-season to win enough games, tougher draw
Marion - lots of new players, depth an issue
Edwardstown - solid squad the last few years, 1st round against Marion must win
Lonsdale - big win round 1 always give it a crack at home
Aldinga - lots of new players and new coach would like to win more than 3 games but might struggle

That is a fair review. My feeling is Reynella, Morphett Vale and Flaggies are the teams to beat this year. I only hope we see less one sided results this year. Hopefully the teams in the bottom half of the ladder all play competitive football and continue to fill numbers for A's and B's both weeks which I know for some teams towards the end of last year was beginning to be a struggle.

A few clearances from Edwardstown to Marion, not sure what is the go there. But then again Marion seem to have a few ins as well from all over.

Well done to OSB Lonsdale for Saturday, you can only imagine how the team song would have been belted out by the boys.

Agree good post Keyser. And the ol box on the hill : at the lion's den would of been rocking Sat night! ;) .:drinkers

Reynella M/vale Flaggies Noarlunga for me this year- These 4 have put a gap on some of the others in my opinion.
Porties closest of rest in 5th.
Valleys to drop in 2015, whole spine not playing this year, tough to cover senior key position players. Will be a battle between HV, Bombers, Saints, Twisties to make up 6th -8th, 2 will miss?? think it will be tight year with the final 5-8 spots decided last few rounds, bring on 2015.

Morphies my big improvers. With the return of various Sampson's and Bennet's if they are fit all year they are a tough outfit.
godra

Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 3 times

Postby spot on » Mon Mar 30, 2015 1:54 pm

Watched the trial game between M/V & Victor Harbor on Saturday, Josh Sampson played up forward and kicked a bag of goals so he will be a very handy return/inclusion.
spot on
Under 18s

Has liked: 44 times
Been liked: 9 times
Grassroots Team: Casterton

Postby Oldman Munga » Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:43 pm

mrp2626 wrote:Brighton had a great day of games down at the Shoe oval on Saturday. Was good to watch all games, and all were played in good spirit. Brighton won the A grade by about 5 goals in the end I believe. Noarlunga were without Johncock, Comer and Minns, and seemed to have a a bit more trouble than last year in the ctr.There was some good ball movement from both sides though. I think our guys will be more competitive this year by the looks of things. Looking forward to seeing what round 1 has in store for us. I would be interested to hear a Noarlunga perspective on the game!?

Agreed MRP was a good day of footy and might add rather well supported by your club who are not renowned for travelling , it's always good to blow the cobwebs out before the real stuff begins , your outfit look to be in great condition and I reckon luck permitting , you will have a reasonable yr
Been a fair bit of movement on the Noarlunga list in the off season with Minns(Pt Lincoln) W.Johncock (Glenelg ) Comer retiring and coaching our B Grade.Booga retiring again ,Hudson back to Mt Gambier due to work , B&F winner Rattley concentrating on work for now but expected to return before mid yr, Carlisle out for the season after shoulder surgery and Henry Kerinuia currently back on the Tiwi Islands but expected to return to Coburg in the VFL. where he has done some pre-season work
Lindsay Moreen has returned after a good season with the Tiwi Bombers
On the in front Copestick has returned after 3 years with Bordertown , Mitch Mulroney a 6ft 10 ruckman from Ainslie in the NEAFL ,Owen Henry from Tiwi Bombers, Owen Patterson from Tennant Creek, and Kynan Betts who won last yrs Mail Medal at Malle Pk in Pt Lincoln, and the return of Hocking,Emery and Atkinson who missed last yr with Knee reconstructions and ankle surgery respectively ,
We have also been selected as home club by Glenelg recruit Willie Rioli Jnr ,but I doubt we will see him at all such is the calibre of young Willie,.

Having Nick Mott,Matthew Johncock and Kynan Betts on the Crows Reserves Top Up List throws us a whole new scenario for 2015 , will be very interesting to see how that works , Mott and Johncock have had solid pre seasons and impressed early ,
All in all we are in a lot better place than we were at this stage last yr with more than 10 players expected to play B Grade who have had a good taste of A Grade footy , Mitts certainly will be a lot busier at team selection this yr with a bit more depth at his disposal
The $64 question is are we good enough to defend the flag ???? Ask me in late August and I'll give you an answer
Oldman Munga
Rookie

Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 13 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby shoe boy » Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:15 am

mrp2626 wrote:Brighton had a great day of games down at the Shoe oval on Saturday. Was good to watch all games, and all were played in good spirit. Brighton won the A grade by about 5 goals in the end I believe. Noarlunga were without Johncock, Comer and Minns, and seemed to have a a bit more trouble than last year in the ctr.There was some good ball movement from both sides though. I think our guys will be more competitive this year by the looks of things. Looking forward to seeing what round 1 has in store for us. I would be interested to hear a Noarlunga perspective on the game!?

Agree mrp it was great to see footy back with a good crowd and competitive footy in all grades.
I recall last year in this trial Brighton won by 12 goals.
shoe boy
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 488 times
Been liked: 209 times

Postby Hcaoc20 » Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:26 pm

King wrote:
Mister Footy wrote:Yeah right King! $$$ had nothing to do with it?

Agreed he is a handy small forward but he has a temper - gets more red & yellow cards than rest of Valleys side put together over last few years. :shock:

You're joking!!! If we had any dollars we certainly wouldn't be chasing a small forward!!!

You can take this to the bank he has been offered way more than he is worth fact
Hcaoc20
Mini-League

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 1 time
Grassroots Team: Ironbank

Postby Hcaoc20 » Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:34 pm

WHATS UP wrote:
Mister Footy wrote:
jet-airport wrote:

Agreed he is a handy small forward but he has a temper - gets more red & yellow cards than rest of Valleys side put together over last few years. :shock:

Think there were at least 4 clubs chasing him is my mail, 3 in other leagues and not the falcons but another "bird of prey" from SFL. I have heard as King that he wanted out of the Vikings, not sure why??

Chasing $$$$$$$$$$ ????

MF are you suggesting ya lock down back pocket Capt needs to do some extra boxing sessions for round 2?? :D
My moneys on MR in that one!! :)

You can take this to the bank he was poached and offered plenty I would be disappointed if I was some of the loyal Flaggies boys

Dunno what you are talking about mate :D As if a former club would give a player any extra attention :shock: Its not like the lads know what sets him off :lol:

Nah good luck to the kid. Reckon he wasnt a fan of last coach and Flaggies coach probably coached him when he was a Valleys junior.

Had his best year of football last year under previous coach and knows he has a good relationship with him. So I don't think that is the problem, maybe start looking at some of the people in charge before assuming things.
Hcaoc20
Mini-League

Grassroots Team: Ironbank

Postby Look Good In Leather » Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:53 pm

Not sure why Flaggies get so defensive when anyone refers to them recruiting. I would have thought it a good thing that they are aiming to be a serious challenger.
Look Good In Leather
League - Best 21

Has liked: 150 times
Been liked: 284 times
Grassroots Team: Christies Beach

Postby Keyser Soze » Tue Mar 31, 2015 11:44 pm

Look Good In Leather wrote:Not sure why Flaggies get so defensive when anyone refers to them recruiting. I would have thought it a good thing that they are aiming to be a serious challenger.

I think its about defending there junior development but no-one would deny they have been a front runner in this regard. However the past few years have shown that the inclusion of $ome valuable recruits to teams around the mark have been the missing link to premiership success.

2014 - Noarlunga
2012 - Happy Valley
2011 - Brighton
2010 - Reynella
Keyser Soze
Rookie

Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 10 times

Postby cracka » Wed Apr 01, 2015 11:37 am

Hcaoc20 wrote:
King wrote:

You're joking!!! If we had any dollars we certainly wouldn't be chasing a small forward!!!

You can take this to the bank he has been offered way more than he is worth fact

I reckon that could be a blanket statement for 90% of current country footballers.
cracka
Veteran

Has liked: 460 times
Been liked: 566 times
Grassroots Team: Onkaparinga Valley

Postby shoe boy » Thu Apr 02, 2015 7:47 am

Who is going to watch Marion v Towns tonight?

Or watch Port Noarlunga v M Vale under lights at Porties.
shoe boy
Assistant Coach

Postby fathersonsfl » Thu Apr 02, 2015 10:45 pm

I will be at the Shoes v Porties game......been awhile Shoe Boy!!
fathersonsfl
Rookie

Been liked: 2 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby Look Good In Leather » Fri Apr 03, 2015 6:47 pm

Assuming Marion lost last night as they haven't bothered entering the results in sportingpulse.
Look Good In Leather
League - Best 21

Has liked: 150 times
Been liked: 284 times
Grassroots Team: Christies Beach

Postby Down the Hill » Fri Apr 03, 2015 7:30 pm

Bit harsh LGIL. Game finished after normal upload time which may not have been set up anyway with the game being a Thursday night. And no-one at the SFL today to upload them either. Maybe it was a nil all draw.
Down the Hill
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 276 times
Grassroots Team: Brighton District & OS

Postby helicopterking » Fri Apr 03, 2015 7:37 pm

Marion lost by 5'goals after leading at half time.
helicopterking
Coach

Has liked: 298 times
Been liked: 667 times

Postby Dutchy » Mon Apr 06, 2015 10:36 pm

A DUMPED amateur league club based 13km north of the city may field a team in the Southern Football League this season.

The amateur league removed Wingfield Royals from the competition last month because they failed to have enough players to fill two teams.

But the SFL has offered Wingfield a lifeline to field one team in its C grade — if league clubs supported the move.

The C grade features teams as far away as 40km from the Ottoway-based Royals, such as Christies Beach.

The nearest SFL club, Morphettville Park, is about a 25-minute drive from Wingfield.

SFL president Craig Warman said he contacted the Royals because the league did not want teams to fold but would leave it to its clubs to decide their fate.

“If there’s an opportunity for the Southern Football League to be a good samaritan so to speak and give this club an opportunity to play in our C grade then we’d look at it,” Warman said.

Warman said the league was waiting on a formal application from the Royals.

“When the formal application comes in we’ll look at it then go to a vote of our clubs.”

Wingfield, which was established in 1954, finished bottom in the amateur league’s division seven last year.

In 2011, the Royals did not field a side yet returned the following season in C4.

The amateur league has left the door open for Wingfield to return in 2016 as long as they filled two squads.

“They may only be in for one year,” Warman said.

“I’ve had a conversation with several presidents and they don’t want clubs to fold either.

“Whether we can get it across the line, I’m a little bit doubtful.”

Christies Beach president Mick O’Neill said the club would discuss the matter at a meeting next week.

“We wouldn’t be interested in seeing anybody miss out on playing football ... but we haven’t seen anything written down from the league,” O’Neill said.

“Once we have, we’ll assess it and give a response.”

Wingfield officials are being sought for comment.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2321 times
Been liked: 3495 times

Postby shoe boy » Tue Apr 07, 2015 8:25 am

SFL president Craig Warman said he contacted the Royals because the league did not want teams to fold but would leave it to its clubs to decide their fate.

That would be a first!!!
shoe boy
Assistant Coach

Postby shoe boy » Tue Apr 07, 2015 8:26 am

fathersonsfl wrote:I will be at the Shoes v Porties game......been awhile Shoe Boy!!

Look forward to catching up Friday night.
shoe boy
Assistant Coach

Postby afc9798 » Tue Apr 07, 2015 10:23 am

shoe boy wrote:SFL president Craig Warman said he contacted the Royals because the league did not want teams to fold but would leave it to its clubs to decide their fate.

That would be a first!!!

Can just imagine C grade sides foaming at the mouth to travel to Wingfield for a game.
afc9798
Reserves

Has liked: 25 times
Been liked: 47 times
Grassroots Team: Happy Valley

Postby afc9798 » Tue Apr 07, 2015 10:24 am

shoe boy wrote:Who is going to watch Marion v Towns tonight?

Or watch Port Noarlunga v M Vale under lights at Porties.

Might wander down, should be a cracking game and will be good to see the new lights at Porties.
afc9798
Reserves

Has liked: 25 times
Been liked: 47 times
Grassroots Team: Happy Valley

Postby The Dude » Tue Apr 07, 2015 1:42 pm

Will be interesting to see who gets the bigger Friday crowd this week South vs Port at Noarlunga or down the road for Porties vs Shoes at Port Noarlunga
The Dude
Mini-League

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  SFL