Rnd 1 - Norwood v Sturt @ Coopers Stadium (Thur N 2/4)

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Rnd 1 - Norwood v Sturt @ Coopers Stadium (Thur N 2/4)

Postby Jim05 » Thu Apr 02, 2015 10:47 pm

RB wrote:
Jim05 wrote:Umpires doing there best to keep Sturt in it, disgraceful!

Lol so begins another season of Norwood being persecuted by the umps.

Lol coming from an Eagles supporter!
They were terrible, some absolutely baffling calls Sturts way in the second and third quarters. I wish Newton got half the soft ones Sturts forward line got, he had guys hanging off him all night. If they are going to pay the soft ones do it both ways.
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1125 times
Been liked: 3534 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Re: Rnd 1 - Norwood v Sturt @ Coopers Stadium (Thur N 2/4)

Postby JK » Thu Apr 02, 2015 10:56 pm

matt35 wrote:Really sounded like a case of Norwood doing what they had to. Not that they had it all their way, but never looked like losing either leading from start to finish.

We were definitely looking the 2nd best team at times, and had Sturt not missed around 3 (very very gettable) set shots in the last quarter when they were about 17 points down, they would have been every chance. Gotta say they really impressed me tonight. Honest, tight checking, fluent, very good by foot at times. If they build on that during the season, they won't be far away at all.

Pretty good start from us, rusty skills at times & whilst it was often under excellent pressure, we are more than capable of improving in that department, hopefully so.

Hope the Sturt lad is OK (Hansen maybe?), and massive credit to number 7 who took a fair knock to the head, but got back up (good player btw).
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4438 times
Been liked: 2985 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby CUTTERMAN » Thu Apr 02, 2015 11:03 pm

Yep, Ben Hanson. He's ok and was at the 3/4 time huddle. Fraser Evans was the other guy to get a knee to the head. Sturt burnt chances infront of goal with at least four gettable goals in the last 1/4 missed and numerous in the first half.
'PAFC don't want any advantages in the SANFL. It would only take away from any achievements we earned.'
Keith Thomas ABC 891 Radio, 21/6/14.
CUTTERMAN
League - Top 5

Has liked: 213 times
Been liked: 124 times

Postby Jim05 » Thu Apr 02, 2015 11:06 pm

JK wrote:
matt35 wrote:Really sounded like a case of Norwood doing what they had to. Not that they had it all their way, but never looked like losing either leading from start to finish.

We were definitely looking the 2nd best team at times, and had Sturt not missed around 3 (very very gettable) set shots in the last quarter when they were about 17 points down, they would have been every chance. Gotta say they really impressed me tonight. Honest, tight checking, fluent, very good by foot at times. If they build on that during the season, they won't be far away at all.

Pretty good start from us, rusty skills at times & whilst it was often under excellent pressure, we are more than capable of improving in that department, hopefully so.

Hope the Sturt lad is OK (Hansen maybe?), and massive credit to number 7 who took a fair knock to the head, but got back up (good player btw).

We will get better especially the defense once it gets settled. Mucked around with the ball too much in our defensive 50 and skills were sloppy at times but a good hitout. Sturt looked ok in patches but never felt in danger of losing as I felt we had another gear if needed. Jimmy was very good tonight, must of had atleast 40 touches, a lot of handballs but was an important link. Rucks were beaten soundly tonight and Kirkwood cut us to pieces
Jim05
Coach

Postby JK » Thu Apr 02, 2015 11:09 pm

Yeah I thiught Kirkwood was a standout, but the RPH thought Beard was clearly their best. Jimmy was sensational tonight.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4438 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby SANFLnut » Thu Apr 02, 2015 11:52 pm

Not how I saw it. Worst 4 decisions tonight:

1. Sturt player (Hansen?) copped contact from front in marking contest. Play on until he had to be stretchered off. No free.
2. Sturt player clearly kneed in the head just outside defensive goal square, Norwood goal results
3. Two Sturt players clash heads and somehow a Sturt free kick. Sturt point.
4. Newton drops his opponent to ground off the ball and umpire ignores it (If it's caught on video he could get games), Norwood goal to Davis

I thought Norwood clearly had the rub of the umps in first half and then probably Sturt after half time. The obvious and painful ones hurt Sturt more on my opinion.

Umps did at least let most things go.

Sturt won the rucks.
Norwood mids won more ball.
Sturt forward line gave nothing in first half.
Norwood looked shaky and worried at times, but Sturt didn't take their chances to hurt them on scoreboard.
Norwood made more errors than usual but Sturt made more errors than Norwood did.
Both sides are quality sides and will be up near the top again.
SANFLnut
Reserves

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 65 times
Grassroots Team: Happy Valley

Postby Jim05 » Thu Apr 02, 2015 11:55 pm

JK wrote:Yeah I thiught Kirkwood was a standout, but the RPH thought Beard was clearly their best. Jimmy was sensational tonight.

Hats off to whoever the recruiter is at Sturt, very good at picking up players from other SANFL clubs. Kirkwood and Beard amazing and was very surprised at how good Battersby is, didnt think he was that good last year but was impressive tonight and has a bit of mongrel about him
Jim05
Coach

Postby Bounce of the ball » Fri Apr 03, 2015 12:02 am

Wedgie wrote:
stampy wrote:huge interest in this one

First round doesn't start for most SANFL fans till next week.
I have no more interest in tonight's game or tomorrow's game than trial game scores.
Dumb arse SANFL making shorter seasons and starting a season off with a fart instead of a bang.

10 years ago I'd be at every game, did 4 games in one afternoon once!
Enjoyed the AFL on TV tonight though, even the soccer was more appealing if my team hadn't had 6 goals kicked against it! lol

First round started for Norwood and Sturt fans though ?

Soccer is more appealing than watching Norwood play! LOL . Why not just give the SANFL away mate ? Seems you run it down a lot ,so maybe focus on rugby or soccer .
I hate the way things have changed as well and I have to get to many games ,Norwoods game plan is 3-5 years old(AFL wise) and not one side has combated it ? It will turn as the boring AFL did . Soccer may not though...........

I'll stick with the SANFL comp though.
Bounce of the ball
Reserves

Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 65 times

Postby Jim05 » Fri Apr 03, 2015 12:22 am

Over 7k there tonight.
Not too bad at all
Jim05
Coach

Postby DOC » Fri Apr 03, 2015 8:56 am

Although the crowd was good, there was very little atmosphere where I was ( the hill) and I am not sure why?

Sturt could have won the game but wasted their opportunities in front of goal. Both sides ran hard and tackled well. Thought the umpires did a good job overall, sure some mistakes but no change since the game was invented.

Saw the second half of the reserves and would expect Duldig to press for selection next round.
DOC
Coach

Has liked: 723 times
Been liked: 2076 times

Postby Wedgie » Fri Apr 03, 2015 9:58 am

Bounce of the ball wrote:Soccer is more appealing than watching Norwood play! LOL . Why not just give the SANFL away mate ? Seems you run it down a lot ,so maybe focus on rugby or soccer .

Ironically I will for the North v Norwood game at Prospect, I'll be in Sydney at the Tottenham v Sydney game :lol:

It was more a post about the stupid programming kicking off the season with only 4 teams out of 10 when IMHO we should be promoting the hell out of a blockbuster round to get things rolling but anyway in the meantime I'll enjoy rugby, soccer and footy, play on.... ;)
Could be worse, I could be completely brain dead and like League..... :D
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2020 times
Been liked: 3862 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby Wedgie » Fri Apr 03, 2015 10:04 am

On the game, interested in the opinion of those there, was Allan's game as amazing as his stats or were a lot of them ineffectual?
Looks damn good on paper.

37 disposals
18 kicks
6 marks
6 tackles
6 clearances
6 Inside 50s
0 score
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2020 times
Been liked: 3862 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby Jim05 » Fri Apr 03, 2015 10:23 am

Wedgie wrote:On the game, interested in the opinion of those there, was Allan's game as amazing as his stats or were a lot of them ineffectual?

37 disposals
18 kicks
6 marks
6 tackles
6 clearances
6 Inside 50s
0 score

Jimmy was very good, 3 votes for sure. Got a lot of the ball in tight spaces and started alot of plays. Even though his kicking isnt his strong point he still hit his targets nearly everytime. If he does that every week he will poll a pile of votes
Jim05
Coach

Postby Q. » Fri Apr 03, 2015 10:29 am

Really enjoyed the game. Thought the display of tackling and other pressure acts was sensational by both teams.
Q.
Coach

Has liked: 970 times
Been liked: 2396 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

Postby kneedeepinthehoopla » Fri Apr 03, 2015 10:32 am

Wedgie wrote:
stampy wrote:huge interest in this one

First round doesn't start for most SANFL fans till next week.
I have no more interest in tonight's game or tomorrow's game than trial game scores.
Dumb arse SANFL making shorter seasons and starting a season off with a fart instead of a bang.

10 years ago I'd be at every game, did 4 games in one afternoon once!
Enjoyed the AFL on TV tonight though, even the soccer was more appealing if my team hadn't had 6 goals kicked against it! lol

You follow the coasties?!?!
kneedeepinthehoopla
Under 16s

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 54 times

Postby hawks21 » Fri Apr 03, 2015 10:39 am

SANFLnut wrote:

Not how I saw it. Worst 4 decisions tonight:

1. Sturt player (Hansen?) copped contact from front in marking contest. Play on until he had to be stretchered off. No free.
2. Sturt player clearly kneed in the head just outside defensive goal square, Norwood goal results
4. Newton drops his opponent to ground off the ball and umpire ignores it (If it's caught on video he could get games), Norwood goal to Davis

I thought Norwood clearly had the rub of the umps in first half and then probably Sturt after half time. The obvious and painful ones hurt Sturt more on my opinion.

Umps did at least let most things go.

Sturt won the rucks.
Norwood mids won more ball.
Sturt forward line gave nothing in first half.
Norwood looked shaky and worried at times, but Sturt didn't take their chances to hurt them on scoreboard.
Norwood made more errors than usual but Sturt made more errors than Norwood did.
Both sides are quality sides and will be up near the top again.

Pretty spot on sum up. Jim obviously watched a different game to everyone else!

How I saw it. Great contest, tackling and pressure from both sides exceptional all day. Kurtze got us back in the game in the 3rd dominating the ruck with Kirkwood. Early our mistakes cost us goals, easy marks being dropped and handball errors inside Norwoods 50.. I felt in the end we were the better side but couldn't build any score board pressure, we convert those first couple in the last quarter and we go onto win IMO. Bad kicking is bad football as they say. Norwood putting the cue in the rack at 3 quarter time, thought I was watching Fremantle play with the flooding.
hawks21
Reserves

Has liked: 85 times
Been liked: 37 times

Postby Big Phil » Fri Apr 03, 2015 12:53 pm

SANFLnut wrote:

Not how I saw it. (One of the) Worst 4 decisions tonight:

The reason the two Sturt players clashed heads was because Norwood player caused this (Georgiou, I think?) by pushing his opponent in the back, which caused the contact on the Double Blues players...
Big Phil
Coach

Has liked: 120 times
Been liked: 271 times

Postby norwood8 » Fri Apr 03, 2015 1:00 pm

Wedgie wrote:On the game, interested in the opinion of those there, was Allan's game as amazing as his stats or were a lot of them ineffectual?

37 disposals
18 kicks
6 marks
6 tackles
6 clearances
6 Inside 50s
0 score

It was mate, clearly BOG after quarter time for me. Probably the best game he has played for us, would be stiff to not get the 3 votes. His performance was pure class.
norwood8
Under 18s

Has liked: 85 times
Been liked: 95 times
Grassroots Team: OSB Lonsdale

Postby Jimmy_041 » Fri Apr 03, 2015 4:52 pm

Norwood management strikes again.
The service changes at Coopers Corner caused a lineup of 20m - 25m at the one window whilst the soft drink window attendant twiddled her thumbs
They only fixed it late in the 3rd quarter after several members gave the CEO an earful at half time in the RSL club
I'm sure the money he was trying to save was overshadowed by the reduced turnover
Jimmy_041
Coach

Has liked: 718 times
Been liked: 1071 times
Grassroots Team: Prince Alfred OC

Postby carey » Fri Apr 03, 2015 5:09 pm

Jimmy_041 wrote:Norwood management strikes again.
The service changes at Coopers Corner caused a lineup of 20m - 25m at the one window whilst the soft drink window attendant twiddled her thumbs
They only fixed it late in the 3rd quarter after several members gave the CEO an earful at half time in the RSL club
I'm sure the money he was trying to save was overshadowed by the reduced turnover

At the Port v WC game at the Parade 1 bar ran out of beer at the 7min mark of the first term. :shock:
you've gota keep on keep'n on .........
carey
Coach

Has liked: 2796 times
Grassroots Team: Paralowie

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL