Port Adelaide 2015

Talk on the national game

Re: Port Adelaide 2015

Postby cracka » Wed Apr 01, 2015 7:11 pm

Footy Smart wrote:
valleys07 wrote:
cracka wrote:Really wish you weren't just a Port supporter & could do your write ups for every team.

Cheers Cracka- appreciate the feedback mate!

I certainly wont be doing write-up's for every game- It takes me long enough to do the Port Adelaide games :lol:

However- If there is demand for it and if time permits, I'm happy to provide some analysis on the crows games that I watch. I will be heading to AO with a mate this week so could compose a review on their game. I cant guarantee they will be as in-depth as the Port ones though!

Id certainly read a crows review Valleys.

definitely & I'd say we wouldn't be the only ones happy to read it.
cracka
Veteran

Has liked: 458 times
Been liked: 560 times
Grassroots Team: Onkaparinga Valley

Postby valleys07 » Mon Apr 06, 2015 1:00 am

Round 1 Review vs. Fremantle- Butchered!

PAFC 10.8.68
FFC 11.9.75

Goals- Wingard, Wines 2, Butcher, White, Boak, Neade, Ebert, Schulz 1.

Such is the level of anticipation and the intense build up to round 1, it’s feelings of separation between the winners and losers that are unrivalled throughout the remainder of the year for mine. In the grand scheme of things it’s merely four points, but one cannot under-estimate the feeling of an early season win to springboard a team into the upcoming season. It’s a funny old feeling sitting here 0-1, as we Port fans have been privy to special starts over the recent 2013-14 seasons.

For the neutral observer, tonight’s game was a ripping spectacle between 2 teams that are destined to be around the mark at the business end of the season. It was typical of Fremantle, just hard, contested football where Port Adelaide were just unable to get their free flowing game style in sync. Over the last 6 months since the Preliminary loss to Hawthorn, Ken Hinkley has spoken publically about winning the 10 or so moments that define games of football. Tonight sadly- we were again beaten in this area when it mattered. When the game was in the balance in the last, Sandilands monstered in ruck, Mundy was winning stoppage clearances, Fyfe turned on beast mode to verify his status as one of the games truly elite, and Pav was just there taking critical marks and kicking clutch goals when his team needed him most. Whilst our match winners in Boak, Gray, Wines, Wingard were all doing their upmost to get us over the line in the last, that clutch moment just didn’t come from these names- when it’s not your night, then….

When viewing the season holistically, we will be better for these crunch games- real finals like intensity. I do sit here a little concerned over a few names that have had interrupted pre-seasons, or have had unconvincing NAB campaigns. Premiership teams are built around players 15-22 as much as the critical components of a side, and it’s hard to mount a case in favour of Port players in that bracket tonight. Whilst I am doing my best to avoid jumping at shadows being round 1- White, Neade, Butcher will all fall heavily under the microscope in the week leading up to a critical round 2 clash at home against the Swans.

Things that went right:

• The games from some of our young guns tonight left me salivating at the thought of what they may be producing in another 2-3 years. 4 of my top 5 players tonight are under the age of 22- hopefully another stepping stone in seeing us cement ourselves as a long term challenger.
• Our defence. Given the volume of forward 50 entries that Fremantle generated (58-42), and the pace to which they were transitioning the football (33.3 disposals per goal compared to 39, and 18.3 disposals per scoring shot compared to 21.7), I thought our defence as a team battled manfully well. Hombsch was a star as that 3rd man up/intercept marker and Impey was magnificent again on Ballantyne. Pavlich was the only real forward that got away from us tonight- hardly a disgrace.

Things that went wrong:

• The Lobbe omission. Please don’t misread this, as our number 1 ruckman’s late withdrawal isn’t the reason we lost- but many a Port fan unable to control their trouser movement at the thought of the big #4 flying for catches inside our F50 were left disappointed before the first bounce, not to mention how we suffered on field. Ryder battled manfully but was monstered by Sandilands, and Butcher was left outclassed by a Fremantle defence well assisted by our mediocre transition going forward. Lobbe will be a massive in for next weeks clash make no mistake.
• The old adage of match fitness. Too many players for my liking went into this game with little or no match fitness, and we paid a costly price. I thought all our players missing for portions of the pre-season had their moments, however in the last quarter when the heat was on in the kitchen, I have to say we needed more from these names to get across the line. I’m happy to trust Hinkley’s judgement- we have bitten the bullet on occasions in the past with success, however tonight was not to be.

Player Reviews:

TOP 5:

Brad Ebert- A fantastic performance tonight from Ebert, his trademark gut running and aggressive link up typified his performance. 34 Possessions (27 uncontested- leading possession getter for the match), 14 marks, 7 tackles and 5 I50’s are some solid numbers, and the only focus area I see for him is Disposal Efficiency.

Oliver Wines- An absolute ****ing bull for us in the contested stakes, and his duel with Fyfe was compelling viewing! Finished with 27 touches (12 contested), 7 marks, 5 clearances, 6 tackles, 5 I50’s and 2 goals- compared with Fyfe who had 31 (15 contested), 4 marks, 4 clearances, 2 tackles, 7 I50’s and 1 goal. I was critical of Wines throughout the night in this duel (just ask Failed Creation haha!), but Wines gets the nod between the 2, another feather in the cap for this outstanding 50 gamer. Has there been a better 50 games since Judd? Unlikely.

Jared Polec- Simply exploded tonight, and his strength in the contest and ability to release the footy was just outstanding. Seemed to be the only Port player able to find the footy and work his way into space, his delivery an absolute joy to watch. 29 touches and 5 R50’s @ 82%- quite possibly the best game of football I have seen Jared play at AFL level. If that’s a sign of things to come this season, he will reach A grade status by seasons end.

Jarman Impey- I had Tom Jonas just about best on at half time, but at completion this lad worked his way into my 5. For the 2nd time in 12 months he completely blanketed Ballantyne’s influence on the contest, Ballantyne restricted to 10 touches and 2 goals (1 late courtesy of the Pittard blunder), whilst helping himself to 15 touches and 4 tackles. He made numerous dashing runs down the ground in an effort to add offensive prowess to his repetoire- just needs more confidence on his runs, often fumbling the bounce halting momentum.

Jack Hombsch- Simply brilliant in the first 3 quarters, as the 3rd up intercept. Carlisle being subbed was the game changer, with Pav having a dynamite last quarter on Hombsch- hardly a disgrace given the gap in experience. Finished with 18 touches, 4 marks, 6 R50’s and four 1% acts. Hopefully gets first crack at Buddy next Saturday night.

The Rest:

Robbie Gray- Plenty of the footy (31 touches, 9 clearances, 8 tackles), seemingly the only player capable of reading Sandilands’ taps. I really enjoyed his game tonight- he would be in many people’s top 5.

Travis Boak- Something was missing tonight from Trav and I can’t quite pinpoint it. Solid numbers (25 touches, 10 marks, 5 tackles), his endeavour as normal, unquestionable. Kicked a ripping goal late in the last- however probably lacked his usual impact on the stoppages, and delivery inside 50 perhaps a little untidy due to the pressure applied.

Jackson Trengove- Back to marshalling our back 6 as if he had never left, and thought it was a solid performance playing primarily on Zac Clarke. 21 disposals, 7 marks and seven 1% acts. A typical performance we have come to expect from Jacko. Will only get better.

Chad Wingard- From the players to have missed parts of the pre-season, I thought he was probably the best of the lot. Seemed to run through the midfield a bit and finished with 20 disposals, 8 marks, 5 I50’s and 2 goals. Seems to pop up out of a sprinkler when we are transitioning the footy from defence to attack, and I hope and pray we see more midfield minutes from him, as he is a truly exquisite user of the footy.

Hamish Hartlett- A fairly run-of-the-mill game from Hamish, seemingly in and out of the contest for most of the evening. 19 touches isn’t great reading, but the most disappointing stat for mine was the 1 I50- with such a lethal right boot, we need him on the end of offensive transition to give our forwards the best chance. Another who will benefit from the run.

Kane Cornes- Nullified Stephen Hill tonight, and finished with 19 possessions. Another workmanlike performance, which is typical of Kane.

Tom Jonas- As aforementioned, I had him just about BOG for us at the half, but faded out of the contest a bit as it wore on. Primarily matched up against Walters and smashed him, restricting him to 9 touches whilst collecting 18 himself. Cracking game.

Matthew Broadbent- 18 touches, 7 marks and 4 I50’s on paper, I thought his offensive game was quite good. He along with Hartlett are needed when transitioning the footy, capable of kicking over the lines. Solid performance.

Justin Westhoff- Normally starts the season like a house on fire but he got belted tonight by Ibbotson. Offered us nothing along with Schulz and Butcher and definitely one who will benefit with Ryder up forward, finishing with just 15 touches.

Matt White- Concerned for his spot in the side, as he has hardly got out of first gear all year. 14 touches and a goal looks ok on paper- but his buzz around the contest and aggressive running seems to have disappeared from his game. Need a big lift from him.

Jasper Pittard- Thought his performance defensively tonight was solid, but most will remember his blunder, gifting Ballantyne the goal and Fremantle the win. Take the good with the bad when talking Pittard’s game, but he seems more astute with his decision making (despite the obvious mistake).

Patrick Ryder- Belted in hitouts (46 to 20) but did some good things around the ground. 12 touches and 5 marks, Paddy is another who will benefit from the run tonight. Craving to see him in action up forward, as that is the primary aspect for his recruitment.

Jake Neade- Lucky to be in the side for mine this week, and just unable to compete at this level when not given any time and space. I talk about taking chances, and his out on the full from 25m out in the 2nd quarter almost had me calling the RAA claims department for accidental damage to my TV. Monfries will start in the 18 next week and Neade will be lucky to hold his spot, as 12 touches and a goal just isn’t offering us enough. 4 tackles a highlight of his game.

Jay Schulz- McPharlin couldn’t have given him a bigger belting. He spent the majority of the evening around half back chasing kicks. Enough said.

Alipate Carlisle- Cramp or injury- not sure but he was subbed off at the start of the last quarter. Much like NAB 3, trailed Pav for most of the evening, finishing with just 9 touches.

John Butcher- A late call up and will be out of the side quicker than he was put in if Lobbe is fit and firing. Wasn’t assisted at all by the sluggish delivery- Spurr absolutely lapping up the intercept marks. A nice goal in the 1st quarter but just 1 kick and 2 handballs after quarter time, finishing with 7 disposals.

Angus Monfries- Not a substitutes arsehole, and failed to have any impact on the game. Needs to start in the 22 or play in the SANFL.

Can’t wait to see us back at the Portress this Saturday night to take on the Swans. The AFL have given us some quality fixtures on the back of a couple of strong seasons and we need to make the most of these by getting 50,000 to the game. I watched the Sydney game on Saturday, noting whilst their comeback win was an outstanding effort, it will be interesting to see their response if placed under similar levels of pressure knowing that we are a fitter side than Essendon. I have my hopes pinned on Kenny priming the boys for this one, with the dangers of 0-2 in this comp hopefully a kick-starter to ignite the season. Crunching the numbers, it seems that no side who has made the grand final since 2008 has lost more than 6 games for the season, so the term “must win game” is literal in the big picture. Until next week- carn the pear!

Valleys.
“Think of me like Yoda, but instead of being little and green I wear suits and I'm awesome. I'm your bro—I'm Broda!”

HOGG Shield 2015 Division I Premiers.
HOGG Shield 2017 Premier League Premiers.
valleys07
Coach

Has liked: 767 times
Been liked: 1168 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Mon Apr 06, 2015 9:41 am

I think Rucci needs to look over his shoulder as the Valley of darkness is creeping in on him!

enjoy your write ups!
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11805 times
Been liked: 3582 times

Postby whufc » Mon Apr 06, 2015 9:58 am

Port can not play in the GF with Butcher in their best 21!

Not saying he is in their best 21 but if through injuries/others form etc etc they can not win a prelim final carrying that spud
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5565 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby woodublieve12 » Mon Apr 06, 2015 10:00 am

You mentioned the swans game this week valleys, you guys would have to be very confident.

If the swans play like they did on Saturday we will be pumped and zero chance of a comeback. Parker likely to miss this week
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Has liked: 3016 times
Been liked: 2384 times

Postby Grahaml » Mon Apr 06, 2015 10:35 am

Funny thing was this game was billed as a potential grand final preview and while it was a good game to watch, looking back I'm not sure either side was that impressive. Port had a lot of passengers, mostly in their forward line. They also had a lot of mids that seemed down a tad. Yet they almost beat Fremantle over there. Fremantle themselves weren't overly impressive but I wonder what it says when you can have no key forwards having an influence and almost beat a WA side on their own turf. I know, round 1 and all that, but the best teams usually start well and I'm not sure Fremantle look as strong as was widely expected.

Had a good laugh though when the commentators kept talking about how important this game was for top 2 spots. Fair enough to say it's a game that either side could look back on as an opportunity missed/taken but we don't really know yet whether either side will even be close to top 2. Footy is a strange game. Back in 2005 everyone thought Port and Brisbane were going to battle for top 2 and they ended up battling to make the finals. Adelaide were meant to be wooden spooners and won the minor premiership.
Grahaml
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 169 times

Postby valleys07 » Mon Apr 06, 2015 12:16 pm

woodublieve12 wrote:You mentioned the swans game this week valleys, you guys would have to be very confident.

If the swans play like they did on Saturday we will be pumped and zero chance of a comeback. Parker likely to miss this week

Wubbsy- I think you have to be confident going into every game when your side is challenging for the title. On paper we certainly have the talent to get the job done.

Our record against Sydney is less than flattering, and whilst Parker will be a big loss for the Swans, there is still Kennedy, Hannebery, McVeigh to contend with through the midfield. Heeney showed he is far from out of his depth either.

We need to get on top of buddy this time around and Hombsch simply must go to him, with Carlisle to Tippett and Trengove as the intercept. Hopefully Schulz actually plays forward of centre this week and we are half a show. Never discount the swans though- you don't make 2 out of the last 3 grand finals through luck and will go in as favourites based on form between the 2 sides.

Will be an absolute rip snorter!
“Think of me like Yoda, but instead of being little and green I wear suits and I'm awesome. I'm your bro—I'm Broda!”

valleys07
Coach

Postby DOC » Mon Apr 06, 2015 1:54 pm

mighty_tiger_79 wrote:I think Rucci needs to look over his shoulder as the Valley of darkness is creeping in on him!

enjoy your write ups!

Speaking of Rucci, Ports game finished about nine o'clock yet they can not get one word in the morning paper? He could just make it up ......
DOC
Coach

Has liked: 723 times
Been liked: 2076 times

Postby Booney » Tue Apr 07, 2015 10:06 am

Pressure, pressure and some more pressure. That’s exactly what Port Adelaide and Fremantle brought with them to Sunday’s opening fixture in the West.

Port suffered a set back before the bounce with ruckman Matt Lobbe a late withdrawl with quad tightness. He was replaced in the selected side by the much maligned John Butcher ( the only John playing in the AFL this year... ). One must wonder if this was known about prior to Ports departure, it’s unusual to take a tall as a travelling emergency.

The Power jumped out of the blocks early, kicking the first two goals and having numerous F50 entries as Fremantle simply struggled to get their hands on the ball. Port heaped the pressure on early, tackling with intent and running forward of the ball creating space and options for the midfield group led early by Polec, Gray and Wines. Port were 2.2 before Fremantle scored, but late goals saw the margin reduced to 4 points at ¼ time.

The second quarter started a little differently, Fremantle held Port up for 10 minutes or so and took advantage of a sloppy piece of defensive work to kick the first two goals and hit the lead. The arm wrestle was starting to unfold. Port snaffled two late goals and led by 2 points at the half. By this time though, Mundy, Barlow and more worryingly so Fyfe had started to get their hands on the ball. Paddy Ryder in his first game for Port Adelaide was battling manfully against big Sandilands, the Fremantle giant was holding sway though and had started to offer his midfield more hitouts to advantage and the likes of Gray, Wines and Boak started to lose the clearances. ( Ultimately won 41-30 by Fremantle )

Fremantle clearly identified Port skipper Travis Boak and Justin Westhoff as keys to Port taking away the Easter eggs. While Westhoff had 16 touches and 6 marks, he failed to hit the scoreboard and with only one goal each to Schulz and Butcher the much talked of “old defence” of Fremantle stood tall. McPharlin and Johnson blanketed Port’s big men in the F50 and while not taking many marks ( 6 between them ) they held Schulz out wide on up the ground and Butcher, well, he’s Butcher.

With 2 score changes in the first half, there were two in the frantic third quarter that showed why both these sides should be around come the pointy end of the season. Here though Fremantle, on the ample shoulders of Matthew Pavlich who ultimately was the difference between the two sides. Two third quarter goals to the inspirational skipper had him as the only multiple goal scorer on the ground at that time and it meant Port were now under the pump defensively. In a very untimely fashion Alipate Carlile began to cramp up and was subbed out early in the last leaving Jack Hombsch to try and control the Fremantle skipper who was showing at age 33 he’s still a genuine gun. F50 entries were drying up for Port and it showed. In the end Fremantle had 58-42 in the end and the weight of numbers started to build in the third quarter.

Despite this, Port still led at ¾ time this time by 3 points.

The final quarter saw three players stand up. Pavlich and Fyfe for Fremantle and Ollie Wines for Port Adelaide. While the likes of Ballantyne chipped in with two second half goals, Pavlich was the clear difference between the two sides. His efficiency in front of goal was crucial late. He finished with 4 straight from his sides 11.9 – it was the difference.

With 4.4 to 3.0 in the last quarter Fremantle held sway around the ground, used the ball better when it counted and Port suffered a small dose of the fumbles when it mattered most. Don’t worry about Jasper Pittards last quarter howler, tackled while bouncing the ball 15 out in front of Fremantles goals, that’s how Hinkley likes Pittard to play, take the game on and run and with 3 minutes to go and two goals needed to win it really was Port’s last rush. The ensuing free kick and goal put Fremantle 12 points in front, another behind and the 13 point lead with 2:45 on the clock was going to be and proved to be too much.

The good :

Ollie Wines – Not much needs to be said about this kid. In his 50th game ( 50 straight ) there are not too many 20 year olds who play the game as he does. Strong, skilful and capable of stepping up in the moment as he showed again on Sunday with a last quarter tackle, free kick and goal from just on 50, this kid is a freak.
Jared Polec – ( 29 @ 82 % ) Showed dash early, broke out of a couple of contests with ease and looks to be more confident in his body and strength to take players on and enter or exit contested ball situations at pace.
Brad Ebert – Ebert led Ports disposal count with 34 ( 73% efficiency ) and worked up and down the ground with the energy he is known for.
Robbie Gray – 31 disposals at 77% is what we expect from him, but he was well held when things really mattered most. Very good early, sound through the middle but held in the last quarter. No shame in being subdued by the Fremantle midfield pressure though.

The not so :

Trengove, Hartlett and Wingard all looked under done. We all know all three had interrupted preseasons and Hinkley would be hard pressed to argue it didn’t show. Hartlett looked unsure of his hamstring, rarely seen at full pace he looked cautious. Trengove looked fit for running, but any contest above the head he failed to impact on with his shoulder obviously testing him. Wingard stood up on a couple of occasions in the middle and forward and of the three showed the best form. While small forward Neade ( who missed two sitters ) White and the sub Monfries gave little in scoreboard pressure, the likes of Pearce, Ballantyne and Walters combined for 5 majors. With Pavlich’s 4 straight, there’s the difference.

Port head home to Adelaide with 1 of the first tough 5 weeks gone by without any premiership points. No real issue though, by the looks of it anyone who goes to Perth and plays Fremantle and takes away the points will have earnt them, really earnt them.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby RustyCage » Tue Apr 07, 2015 10:32 am

DOC wrote:
Speaking of Rucci, he could just make it up ......

He usually does
I'm gonna break my rusty cage and run
RustyCage

Has liked: 1260 times
Been liked: 933 times

Postby Failed Creation » Tue Apr 07, 2015 2:52 pm

Imagine if @valleys07 and @Booney had a child...

The journalistic skills would be outstanding!
Politicians kissing babies for good luck,
TV preachers sell salvation for a buck.
You don't need no golden cross to tell you wrong from right,
The world's worst murderers were those who saw the light.
Failed Creation
Coach

Has liked: 3307 times
Been liked: 613 times
Grassroots Team: Gawler Central

Postby Booney » Tue Apr 07, 2015 3:11 pm

Failed Creation wrote:Imagine if @valleys07 and @Booney had a child...

The journalistic skills would be outstanding!

I won't be doing the birthing part. ;)
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Tue Apr 07, 2015 3:13 pm

what would it be called??

Vallooney

Balleys

balleyooney
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Postby MatteeG » Tue Apr 07, 2015 3:29 pm

mighty_tiger_79 wrote:what would it be called??

Adopted...
helicopterking wrote:Flaggies will choke. Always have.
MatteeG
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 524 times
Been liked: 511 times
Grassroots Team: Flagstaff Hill

Postby valleys07 » Tue Apr 07, 2015 3:34 pm

MatteeG wrote:

Adopted...

:lol:

Its a pity we aren't reviewing Horse racing:

"Trackside at Booney Valley"

Think of something more lame than that people! :lol:
Last edited by valleys07 on Tue Apr 07, 2015 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

valleys07
Coach

Postby Booney » Tue Apr 07, 2015 3:46 pm

valleys07 wrote:
MatteeG wrote:

Adopted...

:lol:

Its a pity we aren't reviewing Horse racing:

"Trackside at Booney Valley"

Think of somethink more lame than that people! :lol:

There's simply no denying it. You're a Dad now, making up that type of shit! :lol:
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Tue Apr 07, 2015 3:53 pm

Trust hawks supporters to burst my bubble
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Postby MW » Tue Apr 07, 2015 5:26 pm

MW
Coach

Has liked: 2581 times
Been liked: 1822 times

Postby carey » Tue Apr 07, 2015 8:35 pm

MW wrote:

Although I love that speech what relevance does it have here?

Are you implying Port were shit for a 1/4 then good for 3? I highly doubt it. I presume it's a pretty poor effort at humor.

I would say I look forward to your posts after you guys play Freo over there but, Such is the ease of your draw you don't play Freo over there. It would seem were in spoon contention according to brain dead Crow supporters.
you've gota keep on keep'n on .........
carey
Coach

Has liked: 2796 times
Been liked: 2985 times
Grassroots Team: Paralowie

Postby MW » Tue Apr 07, 2015 8:54 pm

need a tissue?
I posted it because I've never heard so much praise for losing side before which reminded me of this speech, but please go on about the Crows?
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2581 times
Been liked: 1822 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL