Do we need SANFL reserves???

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: Do we need SANFL reserves???

Postby VALE PARK » Wed Feb 25, 2015 4:20 pm

I hope not,if so I would expect a lot of contrived time wasting in the last quarters.
IMHO umpires don't like paying fees in the forward lines as it is.(slow play with defenders running the 28 min clock down).
Have seen no time on in junior grades,but IMHO not the go in SANFL senior footy.
Simple.
Just start the game a bit earlier if required.
VALE PARK
Under 18s

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 59 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby Ingorudi » Wed Feb 25, 2015 6:50 pm

I think just have league reserves and under 17s. If a kid ant playing reserves buy the time he is 18 or 19 then he won't make it anyway. So having 18yos mixing in with the older blokes in the reserves would fast track them if thay are going to be any good. If they take a bit longer to develop well thay are going to play 30 or 40 senior reserves games and it will make them better players for it. And we can't send players back to the a saafl or country leagues as it's hard to get them in the first place. And the coaches are trying to train the players to there game plain.
Ingorudi
Mini-League

Been liked: 2 times
Grassroots Team: Gawler Central

Postby stan » Thu Feb 26, 2015 7:22 am

Ingorudi wrote:I think just have league reserves and under 17s. If a kid ant playing reserves buy the time he is 18 or 19 then he won't make it anyway. So having 18yos mixing in with the older blokes in the reserves would fast track them if thay are going to be any good. If they take a bit longer to develop well thay are going to play 30 or 40 senior reserves games and it will make them better players for it. And we can't send players back to the a saafl or country leagues as it's hard to get them in the first place. And the coaches are trying to train the players to there game plain.

Hang on dont we have under 18s?
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1253 times

Postby Ingorudi » Thu Feb 26, 2015 2:58 pm

stan wrote:
Ingorudi wrote:I think just have league reserves and under 17s. If a kid ant playing reserves buy the time he is 18 or 19 then he won't make it anyway. So having 18yos mixing in with the older blokes in the reserves would fast track them if thay are going to be any good. If they take a bit longer to develop well thay are going to play 30 or 40 senior reserves games and it will make them better players for it. And we can't send players back to the a saafl or country leagues as it's hard to get them in the first place. And the coaches are trying to train the players to there game plain.

stan wrote:

Yes we do but I think we should have them mixing with the reserves as it would b better for them and fast track them if thay are going to be any good. U can have a rule that has 4 or 5 play under 17s per round. Or we could just piss off the cows and power and have an 8 team comp.
Ingorudi
Mini-League

Been liked: 2 times
Grassroots Team: Gawler Central

Postby Panther Pack » Fri Feb 27, 2015 1:02 pm

You remove reserves then you will probably remove support for the club.

Every reserve player would have family or friends come out and watch and either pay at the gate or even get a club membership, buy food and drink ect.

You take away 21 players from the club that 21 set or families and friends that no longer have a reason to go to games or continue any affiliation with the club.

I just think it's a bad idea to remove teams, the more people involved at the clubs the better.

In fact each SANFL club should have a women's team who could initially only play each team once like the u16's currently do.

Just another way to get more people involved at the club.
Panther Pack
Reserves

Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 137 times

Postby marbles » Fri Mar 06, 2015 9:30 pm

Will the AFL eventually go to a national reserves comp?
marbles
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 275 times
Been liked: 258 times

Postby Rising Power » Tue Mar 10, 2015 5:02 pm

marbles wrote:Will the AFL eventually go to a national reserves comp?

Maybe around the same time that the SANFL gets rid of the SANFL Reserves competition.
Rising Power
Under 16s

Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 44 times
Grassroots Team: Hectorville

Postby JK » Tue Mar 10, 2015 5:19 pm

marbles wrote:Will the AFL eventually go to a national reserves comp?

Not in the forseeable future. They don't need to under the current landscape.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4440 times
Been liked: 2985 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby SANFLnut » Wed Mar 11, 2015 6:58 am

I think you can rule out any changes to the U18 comp as the AFL were pushing pretty hard for this set up as it makes life easier for recruiting staff. Also probably makes State U18 selection easier.
Clubs that value their reserves team and use it properly get a huge benefit from it. There is a huge gap in standard from U18 footy and league side, there needs to be a stepping stone in between.
The only beneficiary of this suggested change would be Amateur League and Country Leagues who could recruit younger players from SANFL clubs
SANFLnut
Reserves

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 65 times
Grassroots Team: Happy Valley

Postby Look Good In Leather » Thu Apr 09, 2015 5:42 pm

The Reserves comp has run its race. The league comp will in time be realigned to U/23s (with 6 overage players) as it becomes more and more focused on being an AFL breeding ground rather than a competition in its own right. The primary focus of the clubs is starting to become the U/18s due to the draft payments (much like what the TAC cup has become).

I guess there are some benefits, the players who are not going to make it at AFL level can put back in at community level but it will be sad to see the demise of a competition that has been so important to many of us.
Look Good In Leather
League - Best 21

Has liked: 150 times
Been liked: 284 times
Grassroots Team: Christies Beach

Postby am Bays » Thu Apr 09, 2015 6:05 pm

Look Good In Leather wrote:The Reserves comp will in time be realigned to U/23s (with 6 overage players)

Edited for accuracy

I can see the reserves competition heading down that path but not the League

Too many people still interested in the league competition and the AFL structure for football nationally is to have State League Open competition in Victoria, WA, SA, TAS and in NSW/QLD/NT/ACT (however the future of the NEAFL has question marks over it given the withdrawal of some clubs in 2015).
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 162 times
Been liked: 1804 times

Postby Jim05 » Thu Apr 09, 2015 6:40 pm

SANFLnut wrote:I think you can rule out any changes to the U18 comp as the AFL were pushing pretty hard for this set up as it makes life easier for recruiting staff. Also probably makes State U18 selection easier.
Clubs that value their reserves team and use it properly get a huge benefit from it. There is a huge gap in standard from U18 footy and league side, there needs to be a stepping stone in between.
The only beneficiary of this suggested change would be Amateur League and Country Leagues who could recruit younger players from SANFL clubs

Interesting you say that, last night on SEN Mark Evans I think it was indicated that the AFL wasnt happy with the current u18 pathway and he mentioned one proposal was for the AFL to take over the running of all under 18 comps. I have no doubt that this will happen somewhere down the track, what they want they usually get
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1125 times
Been liked: 3536 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby johntheclaret » Fri Apr 10, 2015 9:24 am

Yeah and anyone over 23 coming back from injury will just have to run around the oval a few times to get match fit
johntheclaret
Coach

Has liked: 409 times
Been liked: 580 times

Postby tigerpie » Fri Apr 10, 2015 10:03 am

Panther Pack wrote:This thread is an outrage of course we need reserves!!!!!!

Losing the reserves will, even further disrupt grass roots footy.
An A Grade side, in the SFL or Ammos for instance, wouldn't be able to be confirmed until the SANFL league side ran on to the field, pretty much.
I'm sure the senior coach at Noarlunga or Henley would be rapt to hear 1 or 2 of his best players aren't available on the morning of their game.

The only way to drop the reserves is to get rid of the whole SANFL. Plain and simply cant happen.
tigerpie
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 498 times
Been liked: 429 times

Postby Dogwatcher » Fri Apr 10, 2015 12:50 pm

Something fishy about Miss Bream's post...

**MODERATOR NOTE: the spammer has now been banned**
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby VALE PARK » Fri Apr 10, 2015 3:04 pm

Maybe it's under way.
North Adelaide reserves have a 3 week break between their first game and their second game.
The boys must wonder why they bother with a tough 5 month preseason.
Surely a bit of amateurish programming by the SANFL.
Or a bit if a joke!
VALE PARK
Under 18s

Been liked: 59 times

Postby Special One » Fri Apr 10, 2015 4:59 pm

VALE PARK wrote:Maybe it's under way.
North Adelaide reserves have a 3 week break between their first game and their second game.
Or a bit if a joke!

It's the luck of the draw, the fixture was stuffed up by the cricket World Cup. It need to run side by side with the AFL comp
Special One
Rookie

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 4 times
Grassroots Team: Mt Burr

Postby Wedgie » Fri Apr 10, 2015 5:58 pm

Edited for accuracy
Special One wrote:
VALE PARK wrote:Maybe it's under way.
Or a bit if a joke!

It's the luck of the draw, the fixture was stuffed up by the AFL clubs being in our comp
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2024 times
Been liked: 3868 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Previous

Board index   Football  SANFL