HFL Division 3 (C grade)

Talk on any country footy league or club from the SA Country area

Re: HFL C Grade discussion

Postby Q. » Wed Jan 07, 2015 9:43 pm

What he said.

I'm not sure who has the Para Houghton records, but only the BPOS and HDFC history are recognised in the clubrooms.
Q.
Coach

Has liked: 970 times
Been liked: 2396 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

Postby Kickittometoo » Thu Jan 08, 2015 8:58 pm

Good to read lively discussion here again. HTR you mentioned Strath as a nearby club catching your juniors, Langhorne Creek would surely present problems for you too? no wonder juniors would be hard to imagine in the near future as both clubs are pretty out there. I think Milang are on the right track staying exactly where you are and playing good footy around good people. You pulling on the boots this year HTR?
Watching MILFS while you play footy
Kickittometoo
Rookie

Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 4 times

Postby Hear the roar » Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:42 pm

Kickittometoo wrote:Good to read lively discussion here again. HTR you mentioned Strath as a nearby club catching your juniors, Langhorne Creek would surely present problems for you too? no wonder juniors would be hard to imagine in the near future as both clubs are pretty out there. I think Milang are on the right track staying exactly where you are and playing good footy around good people. You pulling on the boots this year HTR?

Nah, no boots anymore. Looking forward to a big year behind the fence at Pantherland. 8)

Strath and Creek will always swallow our juniors; that's the deal when sandwiched between two big clubs. But we will field a senior side indefinitely because there will always be players in the area who can't or don't want to commit to sheep station stuff. And that doesn't mean they're not up to it, as many opposition C grade guns have discovered. Not paying a cent to any player helps. It creates an even playing field and keeps the player group respecting each other and happy. We don't pay coaching or training staff either. We've played some very talented lads over the last few seasons who came to us for those very reasons.

On that note, we start preseason in February. Any interested players PM me :D
Players win awards. Teams win games. Clubs win Premierships.
Hear the roar
Rookie

Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 21 times
Grassroots Team: Milang

Postby Ye Olde Place Kick » Fri Feb 06, 2015 8:34 pm

So is it confirmed yet that Sedan Cambrai will play C grade?
Bar Milang any other confirmed teams for C grade?
Ye Olde Place Kick
Under 16s

Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 42 times

Postby Elmer J Thudpucker » Fri Feb 06, 2015 9:08 pm

Ye Olde Place Kick wrote:So is it confirmed yet that Sedan Cambrai will play C grade?

I understand that Blackwood will be re-entering a team again in 2015. I'd be surprised if Ironbank and Uraidla aren't involved.

Apparently the C grade comp will be ramped up by the HFL with a longer season, umpire medal votes, leading goal kickers, etc.
Elmer J Thudpucker
Rookie

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 31 times
Grassroots Team: Bridgewater

Postby Ye Olde Place Kick » Fri Feb 06, 2015 9:12 pm

Elmer J Thudpucker wrote:
Ye Olde Place Kick wrote:So is it confirmed yet that Sedan Cambrai will play C grade?

I understand that Blackwood will be re-entering a team again in 2015. I'd be surprised if Ironbank and Uraidla aren't involved.

Apparently the C grade comp will be ramped up by the HFL with a longer season, umpire medal votes, leading goal kickers, etc.

Bridgewater/Callington entering a team?
Know they did have a mail medal for C grade in earlier times. Good to hear HFL is looking at the comp seriously.
Ye Olde Place Kick
Under 16s

Postby wazzal77 » Sat Feb 07, 2015 3:06 pm

Is the c grade an old fellas (!) comp, or more of younger comp to accomodate clubs who have too many b graders?
wazzal77
Rookie

Has liked: 44 times
Been liked: 23 times

Postby Alaska » Tue Feb 10, 2015 10:42 am

wazzal77 wrote:Is the c grade an old fellas (!) comp, or more of younger comp to accomodate clubs who have too many b graders?

Both and it depends on where each club is at in its lifecycle you tend to have age groups moving through clubs and the C grade is the opportunity to keep old ones playing and young ones that are not so committed interested. Also because you have a number of 18 to 20 year olds that have not been out to training as yet clubs will not know their numbers for C grade until the last minute.
2017 and 2018 NFL Fantasy Champion
Alaska
League - Best 21

Has liked: 96 times
Been liked: 64 times

Postby Esteban Vihaio » Wed Feb 25, 2015 5:56 am

I'm assuming the blackwood c's are back. Looks like they are kicked out of the ammos going by the talk in their forum. Can anyone confirm
Where's Bill? Yeah... Hmm... Bill is on the Villa Quatro, on the road to Salina. I will draw you a map.
Esteban Vihaio
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 89 times
Been liked: 36 times

Postby Ye Olde Place Kick » Thu Feb 26, 2015 4:55 pm

Esteban Vihaio wrote:I'm assuming the blackwood c's are back. Looks like they are kicked out of the ammos going by the talk in their forum. Can anyone confirm

Yes rule in ammos which they are enforcing you must have 2 teams. You can have a grace season of one team (Blackwood had last season) but then must field 2 or goodbye. Wingfield kicked out year as well for the same reason.
Ye Olde Place Kick
Under 16s

Postby 2words » Fri Feb 27, 2015 8:49 am

Ye Olde Place Kick wrote:
Esteban Vihaio wrote:I'm assuming the blackwood c's are back. Looks like they are kicked out of the ammos going by the talk in their forum. Can anyone confirm

Yes rule in ammos which they are enforcing you must have 2 teams. You can have a grace season of one team (Blackwood had last season) but then must field 2 or goodbye. Wingfield kicked out year as well for the same reason.

What div were Blackwood playing in the SAAFL last year?
2words
Rookie

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 0 time

Postby heater31 » Fri Feb 27, 2015 9:07 am

2words wrote:
Ye Olde Place Kick wrote:

What div were Blackwood playing in the SAAFL last year?

Don't think the SAAFL would have cared if it was the club's 4th team or not just that they wanted clubs to field 2 sides.
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1259 times

Postby Hear the roar » Fri Mar 20, 2015 11:28 pm

Alaska wrote:
wazzal77 wrote:Is the c grade an old fellas (!) comp, or more of younger comp to accomodate clubs who have too many b graders?

Both and it depends on where each club is at in its lifecycle you tend to have age groups moving through clubs and the C grade is the opportunity to keep old ones playing and young ones that are not so committed interested. Also because you have a number of 18 to 20 year olds that have not been out to training as yet clubs will not know their numbers for C grade until the last minute.

It doesn't seem to matter much Alaska re the ages. Milang field only Cs but the other clubs from both divisions appear to have roughly the same age mix. Our youngest player last year was 16 and the oldest 48 (with apologies for one 60plus coach who went out once when players were late). Most C graders will tell you that fitness is actually the key rather than age. This comp is underestimated and players move a lot faster than, say, the lower half of the Country B Grade comp. There's a lot of very fit lads out there who don't want to play at a higher level for various reasons. We've had quite a few retirees not come back after one game because they couldn't keep up. It seems the comp will be a lot stronger this year which is great news!
Players win awards. Teams win games. Clubs win Premierships.
Hear the roar
Rookie

Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 21 times
Grassroots Team: Milang

Postby Ye Olde Place Kick » Sun Apr 12, 2015 7:20 pm

With the name change this season could a mod perhaps change the name of the thread to Hills Division 3 (C grade)

With the new season starting next week a bit of very early history on C's in the HFL.

When the league was formed in 1967 so was the first C grade team. Heathfield Aldgate United had A&B's in the Central but fielded a third side in the Southern B grade as not all of the Southern clubs fielded A&B's.
In 69 they were joined by Uraidla doing exactly the same. 1970 with the Northern Zone having B grade (16 a side) for the first time Uraidla played in this grade as Mt Torrens didn't field a B grade.
In 72 the league moved to 4 zones and Uraidla moved to Zone 4 B grade as Macclesfield didn't field a B grade and Heathfield Aldgate to Zone 3 B grade as Milang didn't field a B grade.
73 Heathfield Aldgate and Lobethal ( fielding a 3rd side for the first time ) joined Uraidla in Zone 4 B grade.
74 the league went back to 3 zones for A&B's and colts Zone 1 for Central clubs, 2 for Northern clubs, Zone 3 for Southern clubs. Like this year with Division 3 they kept Zone 4 ( also went under the name of B2 as well ) for 5 of 6 Central clubs - Heathfield Aldgate, Uraidla, Lobethal, Onka Valley, Stirling (Mt Barker being the club that didn't) and a stand alone 1 team club in Sedan Cambrai making the 6th side in the first proper competition for C grade teams. Hope for Milang as Sedan Cambrai went on to win the Premiership undefeated with a 12-11 to 5-4 victory in the G/F over Heathfield Aldgate.
That's where my research ends for the time being, ( I believe the B2 comp continued on in 75 and a C grade comp has been apart of the HFL most years since ) so if any one can add to this please do so.
Ye Olde Place Kick
Under 16s

Postby cracka » Sun Apr 12, 2015 7:46 pm

Ye Olde Place Kick wrote:With the name change this season could a mod perhaps change the name of the thread to Hills Division 3 (C grade)

With the new season starting next week a bit of very early history on C's in the HFL.

When the league was formed in 1967 so was the first C grade team. Heathfield Aldgate United had A&B's in the Central but fielded a third side in the Southern B grade as not all of the Southern clubs fielded A&B's.
In 69 they were joined by Uraidla doing exactly the same. 1970 with the Northern Zone having B grade (16 a side) for the first time Uraidla played in this grade as Mt Torrens didn't field a B grade.
In 72 the league moved to 4 zones and Uraidla moved to Zone 4 B grade as Macclesfield didn't field a B grade and Heathfield Aldgate to Zone 3 B grade as Milang didn't field a B grade.
73 Heathfield Aldgate and Lobethal ( fielding a 3rd side for the first time ) joined Uraidla in Zone 4 B grade.
74 the league went back to 3 zones for A&B's and colts Zone 1 for Central clubs, 2 for Northern clubs, Zone 3 for Southern clubs. Like this year with Division 3 they kept Zone 4 ( also went under the name of B2 as well ) for 5 of 6 Central clubs - Heathfield Aldgate, Uraidla, Lobethal, Onka Valley, Stirling (Mt Barker being the club that didn't) and a stand alone 1 team club in Sedan Cambrai making the 6th side in the first proper competition for C grade teams. Hope for Milang as Sedan Cambrai went on to win the Premiership undefeated with a 12-11 to 5-4 victory in the G/F over Heathfield Aldgate.
That's where my research ends for the time being, ( I believe the B2 comp continued on in 75 and a C grade comp has been apart of the HFL most years since ) so if any one can add to this please do so.

Love it YOPK. I could add to this but cant find the research I did.
cracka
Veteran

Has liked: 458 times
Been liked: 559 times
Grassroots Team: Onkaparinga Valley

Postby Ye Olde Place Kick » Sun Apr 12, 2015 11:52 pm

cracka wrote:
Ye Olde Place Kick wrote:With the name change this season could a mod perhaps change the name of the thread to Hills Division 3 (C grade)

Love it YOPK. I could add to this but cant find the research I did.

Thanks Cracka having fun looking back on HFL's history. Just to add to 74 the Mail Medal winner for Zone 4 was R Searle (Stirling 16 votes) not bad for a player from the bottom team.
Also would like to know if Palmer Zone 4 B's and Littlehampton Zone 4 A's could of played in this comp, as both clubs played abet with one team in 73 but alias it was the last time either did play.

edit - To answer my own question just read in the Courier March 74 that Littlehampton pulled out of all competitions and Palmer were in talks with Sedan Cambrai to amalgamate and play in Zone 2 but that must of failed as both clubs were going to play in Zone 4 but as scores have shown alias Palmer didn't. Still like to know more about the demise of both clubs if any one knows more.
Thanks to the mods for changing the thread title.
Ye Olde Place Kick
Under 16s

Re: HFL Division 3 (C grade)

Postby cracka » Tue Apr 14, 2015 8:15 pm

Pretty sure Littlehampton disbanded after 73 as most players went to either Nairne or Mt Barker.

I have a clipping from the courier that Palmer & Sedan/Cambrai were in talks of merging but must have fallen down as both fielded teams in the 1974 Zone 1 B2 comp (effectively C grade). So not sure if Palmer disbanded in 74 or 75. Sedan/Cambrai merged with Mt Torrens to form Mt Torrens/Cambrai from 75 to 86 then they went back to being Sedan/Cambrai & joined Mid Murray FL in 87.

While on the history of the HFL, Bremer (playing out of Callington) also played in the 72 (A&B) & 73 (A's only) Zone 4 comp after coming from the Zone 3 comp (southern based hills clubs), then in 74 had a B grade only playing in Maccys B grade spot. In 75 & 76 Bremer played in the Zone 1 B2 (C grade) comp. In 77 & 78 they went back to zone 3 playing in Meadows' B grade spot then in 79 they merged with Nairne.
In 77 a team from the Inverbarackie 16thAD called Army (even though Onka Valley FC was a merger between Onkaparinga & Woodside/Army) played in Zone 2 A grade while Nairne played in their B grade spot, alternating venues between the Army Barracks & Nairne oval. In 78 this combination played in Zone 1 then disbanded in 79 when Nairne merged with Bremer.
cracka
Veteran

Has liked: 458 times
Been liked: 559 times
Grassroots Team: Onkaparinga Valley

Postby Ye Olde Place Kick » Tue Apr 14, 2015 9:12 pm

cracka wrote:Pretty sure Littlehampton disbanded after 73 as most players went to either Nairne or Mt Barker.

I have a clipping from the courier that Palmer & Sedan/Cambrai were in talks of merging but must have fallen down as both fielded teams in the 1974 Zone 1 B2 comp (effectively C grade). So not sure if Palmer disbanded in 74 or 75. Sedan/Cambrai merged with Mt Torrens to form Mt Torrens/Cambrai from 75 to 86 then they went back to being Sedan/Cambrai & joined Mid Murray FL in 87.

While on the history of the HFL, Bremer (playing out of Callington) also played in the 72 (A&B) & 73 (A's only) Zone 4 comp after coming from the Zone 3 comp (southern based hills clubs), then in 74 had a B grade only playing in Maccys B grade spot. In 75 & 76 Bremer played in the Zone 1 B2 (C grade) comp. In 77 & 78 they went back to zone 3 playing in Meadows' B grade spot then in 79 they merged with Nairne.
In 77 a team from the Inverbarackie 16thAD called Army (even though Onka Valley FC was a merger between Onkaparinga & Woodside/Army) played in Zone 2 A grade while Nairne played in their B grade spot, alternating venues between the Army Barracks & Nairne oval. In 78 this combination played in Zone 1 then disbanded in 79 when Nairne merged with Bremer.

Yes must have the Courier piece Cracka re Littlehampton, Palmer and S/C. Also agree with the Mt Torrens/Cambrai merger and Bremers history up to the end of 74, yet to go into 75 and beyond. Thought the Army team was around in 75 as I remember playing on their base? As for Palmer according to a book I have Palmer Football Club by Harold McLaren in their last meeting if they were placed in the same zone as 73 (Zone 4 B grade) they would not field a team and also I couldn't find any games featuring them from the Courier in 74 , thus 73 their last season. Williamstown left also after 73 to go into the Barossa League. Langhorne Creek after 77 and Milang after 78 went into the Great Southern league.
Ye Olde Place Kick
Under 16s

Postby Ye Olde Place Kick » Fri Apr 17, 2015 5:34 pm

How are teams and their numbers looking for the start of the season?
Ye Olde Place Kick
Under 16s

Postby Ye Olde Place Kick » Sun Apr 26, 2015 8:16 pm

cracka wrote:Pretty sure Littlehampton disbanded after 73 as most players went to either Nairne or Mt Barker.

Doing some more research and yes Cracka you were spot on with the Bremer (they won the premiership in 74, runner up 75 and premiers in 76), Narine and Army history. Will write it up later on.
Ye Olde Place Kick
Under 16s

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Country Footy