HFL Division 1 (Central)

Talk on any country footy league or club from the SA Country area

Re: HFL Division 1 (Central)

Postby Legs Man » Tue Apr 14, 2015 8:26 pm

youngpace wrote:
jumbo20 wrote:gee shortest career at a club-See Brodie Topham already leaving TV back to Birdwood?? Maybe it was the oval...

That is quick!
Or have we seen TV out bid for the first time? Country forum suggests the Roosters are playing with a lot of points this year (handy to get 0 points back). Birdwood could be trying to push for a Central re-birth in 2016.

If Birdwood can field 2 senior sides and the 2 junior sides required then it would be great to have them in Div 1.
As you know I reckon this should be the only requirement to play Div 1 so clubs that can all follow as one.
The clubs that can't field all sides play Div 2 and as a league we do whatever we can to assist in the junior area - whether it means overflow kids play, Div 1 clubs field junior sides on their behalf and we structure the draw to maximise this.
No Div 3 - and through natural attrition the clubs struggling in Div 1 will eventually end up in Div 2 - whether it be for on field success or going through a rebuilding phase.
The geographical landscape of hills footy is changing so rapidly that we must adapt as a league and create our future now.
As proven over the past few years unless we change soon the loss of participants in hills footy will continue and clubs will fold due to financial constraints etc etc. ( unfortunately a trend that is common to a lot of amateur comps )
For mine I really believe that one of the major factors for families is being able to "go to the footy" as a family and be part of a local community that bonds as one.
The ability to do this at one venue each weekend outweighs the negatives across all divisions and may provide a long term solution.
There are lots of major changes required to achieve this, foremost being the base level restructure of our competition - which can be implemented if all the clubs are on the same page. ( I reckon this is a big ask though )
Simply a suggestion which may be too simplistic - but at least it's a suggestion! : :YMHUG:
Legs Man
Under 16s

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 44 times

Postby The Gimp » Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:58 am

youngpace wrote:
jumbo20 wrote:gee shortest career at a club-See Brodie Topham already leaving TV back to Birdwood?? Maybe it was the oval...

That is quick!
Or have we seen TV out bid for the first time? Country forum suggests the Roosters are playing with a lot of points this year (handy to get 0 points back). Birdwood could be trying to push for a Central re-birth in 2016.

I see he played B grade for TV on the w'end so maybe he just wants to play A grade.
He still has a lot of mates at Birdy so very happy to have him back at the club!
The Gimp
Reserves

Has liked: 45 times
Been liked: 15 times
Grassroots Team: Birdwood

Postby The Gimp » Wed Apr 15, 2015 9:22 am

Not sure if Birdwood are pushing for Div 1 and I think if they were, the only reason would be to get out of the shambles of div 2 which really isn't a good enough reason.
Personally, I would like to see two strong divisions with clubs that can fill all 4 grades (A, B, SC & JC) and at the moment I think we have 16 clubs that can do that so therefore 2 x divisions of 8 clubs each.
Gum and Maccy both have JC but no SC and Gum also has U13 but Maccy doesn't. Sed/Cam don't have any.
Until these clubs can fill all 4 grades, then they shouldn't be accepted into div 1 or 2.
Harsh, but it will ensure the integrity of the top 2 divisions and return them both back to being strong comps. I know Gum wouldn't be far off fielding a SC side but this may make them work a little harder to get those few extra players to ensure they stay in div 2. I'm unsure of where Maccy sit with junior numbers but Sed/Camb are just not suited to div 2 and probably never will be with the decline in population in that area.
If it was a one-off season where they missed a grade, it could probably be accepted (Kangarilla & Kersbrook come to mind) but these three clubs have consistently failed to fill all grades for a long time and it has hurt the integrity and quality of div 2 (not to mention Callington).
The clubs that don't fill all 4 grades then can make up the 3rd div with the C grade teams.

I then think the U13 comp should be separate with possibly 2 or 3 divisions on their own similar to the modifieds (U11-U8) program.

It's about time the clubs and board drew a line in the sand and looked at the betterment of the league and not individual clubs. Saying that, I think the clubs started to by voting Sed/Camb into div 3 but for some unknown reason, the board turned it over!
The Gimp
Reserves

Postby Legs Man » Wed Apr 15, 2015 10:04 am

The Gimp wrote:Not sure if Birdwood are pushing for Div 1 and I think if they were, the only reason would be to get out of the shambles of div 2 which really isn't a good enough reason.
Personally, I would like to see two strong divisions with clubs that can fill all 4 grades (A, B, SC & JC) and at the moment I think we have 16 clubs that can do that so therefore 2 x divisions of 8 clubs each.
Gum and Maccy both have JC but no SC and Gum also has U13 but Maccy doesn't. Sed/Cam don't have any.
Until these clubs can fill all 4 grades, then they shouldn't be accepted into div 1 or 2.
Harsh, but it will ensure the integrity of the top 2 divisions and return them both back to being strong comps. I know Gum wouldn't be far off fielding a SC side but this may make them work a little harder to get those few extra players to ensure they stay in div 2. I'm unsure of where Maccy sit with junior numbers but Sed/Camb are just not suited to div 2 and probably never will be with the decline in population in that area.
If it was a one-off season where they missed a grade, it could probably be accepted (Kangarilla & Kersbrook come to mind) but these three clubs have consistently failed to fill all grades for a long time and it has hurt the integrity and quality of div 2 (not to mention Callington).
The clubs that don't fill all 4 grades then can make up the 3rd div with the C grade teams.

I then think the U13 comp should be separate with possibly 2 or 3 divisions on their own similar to the modifieds (U11-U8) program.

It's about time the clubs and board drew a line in the sand and looked at the betterment of the league and not individual clubs. Saying that, I think the clubs started to by voting Sed/Camb into div 3 but for some unknown reason, the board turned it over!

Certainly another good option if it can be implemented.
Would you keep relegation - and if so would you provide all clubs the same apps points to give everyone the same opportunity?

Agree that the most recent decision regarding S/C and allowing Hahndorf to hijack this amazed me as the clubs obviously voted the other way and were trying to sort it out. ( this has only exacerbated the problem and should have been overturned due to the clubs having final say when this type of situation arises )
Let the clubs determine the future - not the board.
Legs Man
Under 16s

Postby cracka » Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:29 am

Legs Man wrote:
The Gimp wrote:Not sure if Birdwood are pushing for Div 1 and I think if they were, the only reason would be to get out of the shambles of div 2 which really isn't a good enough reason.

Would you keep relegation - and if so would you provide all clubs the same apps points to give everyone the same opportunity?

Agree that the most recent decision regarding S/C and allowing Hahndorf to hijack this amazed me as the clubs obviously voted the other way and were trying to sort it out. ( this has only exacerbated the problem and should have been overturned due to the clubs having final say when this type of situation arises )

I'm getting the vibe that it wasn't so much Hahndorf that did this but that they are merely a pawn in this debacle. Hahndorf only have 29 U15's which is not enough for a second side. Sedan have around 6 to contribute to this side but we were told they can't play every week because they're helping Torrens Valley. WTF.
cracka
Veteran

Has liked: 458 times
Been liked: 560 times
Grassroots Team: Onkaparinga Valley

Postby Legs Man » Wed Apr 15, 2015 1:20 pm

cracka wrote:
Legs Man wrote:

I'm getting the vibe that it wasn't so much Hahndorf that did this but that they are merely a pawn in this debacle. Hahndorf only have 29 U15's which is not enough for a second side. Sedan have around 6 to contribute to this side but we were told they can't play every week because they're helping Torrens Valley. WTF.

Always good to have your input Cracka as your finger is well and truly on the pulse.
Get the feeling that Hahndorf were certainly guarding their overflow though from surrounding clubs and this was a means to do this.
Certainly extreme though considering the distance.
WTF with TV sticking their finger in the pie also - the clubs need to band together and stop this sort of situation from occurring.
Oh sorry - the clubs actually did I believe but the HFL made a decision on their behalf against the clubs wishes and vote - when it's not their call IMO.
Should be another great round of footy this weekend !
Legs Man
Under 16s

Postby Legs Man » Wed Apr 15, 2015 1:33 pm

Yellow & Black wrote:You're obviously not a racing enthusiast Windbag, pretty sure my selections are still running.

I couldn't be more proud of the way the junior committee, coaches and volunteers at Tigerland roll up their sleeves and get stuck in, a lot of passion there. Winning is a healthy attitude, I hope we can knock off the Maggies this weekend and I'll certainly be cheering the boys on, but based on previous seasons it's a very uneven competition and I don't imagine Hahndorf or Blackwood weakening.

I wonder what the record scores are in Junior & Senior Colts?

Hey Y&B - sorry this is a bit after the fact - but your guys were great at Echunga on the weekend and conducted themselves well.
Noticed a few of your guys watching the races also and it was great that a few players and members had a beer after the match at our club.
Legs Man
Under 16s

Postby batmanbegins » Wed Apr 15, 2015 2:01 pm

Well round 2 should be bring another exciting round as the comp is so even this year with anyone having the ability to beat anyone on a given day, tips for this week;
Blackwood V Uri- Dundovic and Bricknell are two big ins for the woodies and were the difference on the weekend against the devs but they are going to have to step up another gear if they want to beat uraidla. Uri's will have a couple return this week but appear to be a younger side this year which is what they needed as they got found out for pace in the GF last year. Ivens and delvins are all class plus the youngsters stepped up on the weekend and cant see them losing this weekend. Uraidla by 6 goals.
Torrens Valley V Onkas- Having seen Onkas there a good young side but im not sure they will have the class or the key defenders to match up with TV. Hopefully a few key players return for them this week as they will need them against O'sullivan, Montgomery and co. How you stop the 3 key forwards is going to be hard, really you just have to control their midfield but thats easier said than done. TV will be a bit to good in this game. Tv by 5 goals.
Barker V Echunga- Remind me not to tip against echunga or uraidla again, echunga are all class and great to watch. Strangely barker only kicked 4 goals on the weekend and maybe they have changed their game plan a bit but maybe they just had a bad day. Should be another cracking game though, I expect barker to lift after last week with the quality they have but echunga with lindsay, aish and carey leading the way are very hard to beat. If the edmonds brothers are out will be a loss but Henke should come in to compensate. Echunga by 2 goals.
Lobethal V Hahndorf- Lobethal will be hungry to make up for last week and I feel hahndorf may be in trouble as I just think the class of lobe will be to much for the dorf. Hourigan looks a quality recruit but they are a young side that leave to much too to few at the moment and purling, roberts boys and hourigan cant carry them all the time. Maybe if Wittwer is back from the crows and handby they will be trouble the tiges but FIsher will kick a bag with Baust and co dominating the middle. Lobethal by 8 goals.
Ironbank V Lofty- Night game at the postage stamp of ironbank which renews an old rivalry between the devs and the thunderers. Lofty were very competitive as always against the woodies and were up most the game with miles dominating but just lacked that killer instinct. Lofty will always tackle and make you work very hard but they lack the polish and key position players of other sides. Bankers had a good solid start to the year and will want to make it two from two, De Visser and motlop will be hard to stop but the likes of muirden, walter and beard also were very good on the weekend. Ironbank to kick away in the last and win by 3 goals.
batmanbegins
Reserves

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 187 times

Postby youngpace » Wed Apr 15, 2015 3:53 pm

Legs Man wrote:
cracka wrote:
Legs Man wrote:

Always good to have your input Cracka as your finger is well and truly on the pulse.
Get the feeling that Hahndorf were certainly guarding their overflow though from surrounding clubs and this was a means to do this.
Certainly extreme though considering the distance.
WTF with TV sticking their finger in the pie also - the clubs need to band together and stop this sort of situation from occurring.
Oh sorry - the clubs actually did I believe but the HFL made a decision on their behalf against the clubs wishes and vote - when it's not their call IMO.
Should be another great round of footy this weekend !

Great to see focus on the League as a whole! I favor an 8x10 competition structure, as it keeps a number of strong clubs in Country and I think it is to early to remove Maccy and Gum. Wanting out of the lower shambles division is well good enough a reason to push for promotion. That is a concern. My understanding is that a club voted motion is final and the HFL board are a mediating body.

I can understand that S/C have an arrangement with TV. Being neighboring clubs, it makes sense (no different to ECH/MT B and MAC/HAHN). Looks to me that they and TV have been on the front foot and made arrangements. They have done what was needed to ensure their teams (clubs div 1 spot) existence. And made sure more kids got a game of footy.

In years gone by Country has slowly depleted as it fell to the way side of Central. This triggered clubs desires for promotion. Stirring up the pot and resulting in a fast surge in the standard of competition. Centrals competitiveness has tightened up in the last couple of years and the spill over effect may just be starting to appear in Country. Also getting the cogs moving on a lot of issues that are well over due for addressing. If a whole and complete league can be obtained again it will improve the longevity and quality of footy in The Hills.
youngpace
Rookie

Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 5 times
Grassroots Team: Echunga

Postby Legs Man » Wed Apr 15, 2015 4:27 pm

Agree whole heartedly YP !
The issues have certainly now been highlighted and need addressing.
It can only be done though if the clubs get together and sort this out WITHOUT any direction or recommendation by the HFL or CFL thus allowing an outcome that can't be questioned and works for all the clubs involved.
Does the possibility of becoming an independent league/ competition come into consideration allowing this process to occur?
The onus of responsibility also becomes that of the participating clubs which makes sense as they are the competition.
Happy to have a mediating hierarchy still - but the decision making capacity needs to be abolished fully via our constitution.
Unless this occurs it won't happen as history is telling us.
Let the clubs provide our future path and competition makeup.
Legs Man
Under 16s

Postby Corona Man » Wed Apr 15, 2015 4:37 pm

^ you seem very well informed YP!
1961, 1971, 1976, 1978, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 2008, 2013, 2014, 2015.... And don't you forget it!
Corona Man
Coach

Has liked: 1275 times
Been liked: 3461 times

Postby youngpace » Wed Apr 15, 2015 5:17 pm

Legs Man wrote:Agree whole heartedly YP !
It can only be done though if the clubs get together and sort this out WITHOUT any direction or recommendation by the HFL or CFL thus allowing an outcome that can't be questioned and works for all the clubs involved.
Does the possibility of becoming an independent league/ competition come into consideration allowing this process to occur?
The onus of responsibility also becomes that of the participating clubs which makes sense as they are the competition.
Happy to have a mediating hierarchy still - but the decision making capacity needs to be abolished fully via our constitution.

Na, it can only be done with all three parties working together. With the decision making power held in the vote and with the greater bodies (CFL, HFL) guidance. The vote should be what puts the outcome out of question. And I believe that is the vibe of our constitution.
Independent league! Are you mad man. We should be trying to build footy up and improve what we already have. Not break it apart.
The stark reality is that the HFL is a semi professional league. It is behind on what it should be structurally however. Perhaps footy is as a whole after AFL and SANFL.
youngpace
Rookie

Postby The Gimp » Wed Apr 15, 2015 5:26 pm

I'm not sure if I agree with all of this. The problem we have had for years is that the clubs generally only want what is best for them in the present. And if this continues, then you will never have the correct decisions being made for what is best for the league in the future.
I believe the decision needs to be taken out of the clubs hands and into an dependant body whose aim is to make decisions in the best interest of the whole league.
I understand that this will be difficult but the review that was done in Aug 2014 by the four independent guys came up with very similar things I have said.

In response to youngpace, when will be the right time to remove all the gaps in the colts draws (remove all the clubs without 4 teams) to try and regain the quality of div 2? Do we wait until they end up like Callington or Sed/Camb?
Maccy haven't had Sen Colts since 2010 and have only had 1 out of 3 colts teams in the last 2 seasons.
Gum aren't as bad and would expect them to bounce back and have fielded 2/3 colts teams in the last 3 seasons.
Sed/Camb have never fielded sen colts and last fielded jun colts in 2011.
Unfortunately I can't see this improving for Maccy or Sed/Camb in the near future unless something drastic is changed to the Div 2 age groups like U18's and U14's.
The Gimp
Reserves

Postby youngpace » Wed Apr 15, 2015 5:52 pm

Corona Man wrote:^ you seem very well informed YP!

Not at all. Everyone else seems to be supplying the info ( didn't know about the S/C vote), I have just been passing my opinions. The only info I deal with on here is what I gain on here.
As a wise man once said "I know a whole lot of something n not a lot of nothing".
youngpace
Rookie

Postby youngpace » Wed Apr 15, 2015 6:08 pm

The Gimp wrote:

I'm not sure if I agree with all of this. The problem we have had for years is that the clubs generally only want what is best for them in the present. And if this continues, then you will never have the correct decisions being made for what is best for the league in the future.
I believe the decision needs to be taken out of the clubs hands and into an dependant body whose aim is to make decisions in the best interest of the whole league.
I understand that this will be difficult but the review that was done in Aug 2014 by the four independent guys came up with very similar things I have said.

In response to youngpace, when will be the right time to remove all the gaps in the colts draws (remove all the clubs without 4 teams) to try and regain the quality of div 2? Do we wait until they end up like Callington or Sed/Camb?
Maccy haven't had Sen Colts since 2010 and have only had 1 out of 3 colts teams in the last 2 seasons.
Gum aren't as bad and would expect them to bounce back and have fielded 2/3 colts teams in the last 3 seasons.
Sed/Camb have never fielded sen colts and last fielded jun colts in 2011.
Unfortunately I can't see this improving for Maccy or Sed/Camb in the near future unless something drastic is changed to the Div 2 age groups like U18's and U14's.

This also has great merit. I have said before on here "the league is semi pro and thus needs professional direction and management" In other words it needs someone running the show, making the hard calls like you say. A paid staff who have the business and social qualifications for it.
I am definitely of the belief that due to clubs personal interests and motives decisions have been made outside of the best interest of footy in the past.
Strewth! I didn't realize that about Maccy. I have a soft spot for them, as I recall some real tough years in juniors at Echunga numbers wise and now look at where we are (noted we are still having to work hard on junior participation). I am also repeating myself when I say the long term fix to the balance of the league starts with balancing the junior comp out.
youngpace
Rookie

Postby Legs Man » Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:05 pm

Very good points YP and I tend to agree - what you are proposing as a business structure with respect to the way the league runs is so right.
Having the qualifications to do the job needed now the competition is at the semi professional stage really makes sense.
It also seems to be a good suggestion that the power is removed from the clubs due to the way things have panned out while they have supposedly had the deciding vote.
What has occurred over recent times has eventuated while the clubs have been in control I suppose.
Could it really happen though with so many parties involved?
Juniors is a real concern as we have recently experienced and lots of other clubs are currently battling.
Legs Man
Under 16s

Postby saintal » Sat Apr 18, 2015 6:34 pm

Bit of an upset, Hahndorf 10.14 def Lobey 2.5
SAFC- 60 years...
StKFC- 58 years..
saintal
Coach

Has liked: 346 times
Been liked: 428 times

Postby cracka » Sat Apr 18, 2015 7:02 pm

saintal wrote:Bit of an upset, Hahndorf 10.14 def Lobey 2.5

Looks like Echunga smashed Mt Barker too. Loby & Barker both winless on the bottom of the ladder after 2 rounds. Wouldn't have thought that 3 weeks ago.
cracka
Veteran

Has liked: 458 times
Been liked: 560 times
Grassroots Team: Onkaparinga Valley

Postby Red Rocket » Sat Apr 18, 2015 7:07 pm

Is that right that Mt Barker only kicked 1 goal?
Embarassing if so
Red Rocket
Under 18s

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 72 times
Grassroots Team: Kapunda

Postby Legs Man » Sat Apr 18, 2015 7:09 pm

cracka wrote:
saintal wrote:Bit of an upset, Hahndorf 10.14 def Lobey 2.5

Looks like Echunga smashed Mt Barker too. Loby & Barker both winless on the bottom of the ladder after 2 rounds. Wouldn't have thought that 3 weeks ago.

Mt Barker have kicked 5 goals in 8 quarters of footy!
Thought Lobey would beat Hahndorf so that is a great result for Hahndorf.
Echunga had both Edmonds, Snell and Luke Carey out today.
Uraidla v Echunga next week at Echunga should be an absolute cracker!
Legs Man
Under 16s

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Country Footy