Salisbury
12%
Westminster OS
12%

Total votes : 98

Re: Ch9 AFL Division 4 - 2015

Postby wonder_kid » Fri Apr 17, 2015 12:13 am

wristwatcher wrote:
wonder_kid wrote:Just what I got told mate I beleive who told me! Doesn't. Really matter much tho! Maybe some umpires need to be suspended for "attempting to umpire"!

Fair enough but I tend to back the league on this one. I have played for nearly 20 years and never been reported or suspended. I wasn't there so I don't know but I have umpired and been hit hard and believe it was no accident. The only time an umpire should be touched is after their game when you shake their hand and say thanks for the game.

just going by kernahans comments mate basically wasn't deliberate and shouldn't get 12 weeks suspension especially when the afl doesn't suspend players for it for the first offence !
wonder_kid
Under 18s

Has liked: 47 times
Been liked: 46 times

Postby HH3 » Fri Apr 17, 2015 12:44 am

Cohiba wrote:
wristwatcher wrote:
wonder_kid wrote:Just what I got told mate I beleive who told me! Doesn't. Really matter much tho! Maybe some umpires need to be suspended for "attempting to umpire"!

Fair enough but I tend to back the league on this one. I have played for nearly 20 years and never been reported or suspended. I wasn't there so I don't know but I have umpired and been hit hard and believe it was no accident. The only time an umpire should be touched is after their game when you shake their hand and say thanks for the game.

Only"if" they have umpired well......n' cest pas TJ. You don't reward mediocrity.....

Good umpiring is usually a matter of opinion. The losing team usually thinks the umpiring was shit.

If you only shake the umps hand when you think he umpired well, you should probably not shake half the players hands, coz i guarantee they made a shitload more mistakes over the 4 qtrs than the umpire did.

Respect them for what they do. They allow us to play the game.
I TOLD YOU SO

2013/14 NFL Tipping Comp Champion
HH3
Coach

Has liked: 3301 times
Been liked: 2433 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby jo172 » Fri Apr 17, 2015 9:02 am

wonder_kid wrote:
wristwatcher wrote:

just going by kernahans comments mate basically wasn't deliberate and shouldn't get 12 weeks suspension especially when the afl doesn't suspend players for it for the first offence !

There's a whole universe between "not being able to prove deliberate" and "accident". Hence reckless

Honestly, have you ever "accidentally" taken someone (let alone an umpire's) tooth out on a football field.

Pure fantasy.
jo172
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1198 times
Been liked: 724 times

Postby Lance's brother » Fri Apr 17, 2015 9:36 am

Cohiba wrote:
wristwatcher wrote:

Only"if" they have umpired well......n' cest pas TJ. You don't reward mediocrity.....

Jeez, you rate yourself a bit don't ya Cohiba? A hand shake from you is a reward is it? :)
Lance's brother
Under 18s

Has liked: 84 times
Been liked: 10 times
Grassroots Team: Westminster OS

Postby Cohiba » Fri Apr 17, 2015 11:52 am

HH3 wrote:
Cohiba wrote:
wristwatcher wrote:

Good umpiring is usually a matter of opinion. The losing team usually thinks the umpiring was shit.

If you only shake the umps hand when you think he umpired well, you should probably not shake half the players hands, coz i guarantee they made a shitload more mistakes over the 4 qtrs than the umpire did.

The point was about umpires.......not players performances.....That said, based on your comment, if players mistakes are often attributed to the outcome of matches.....the same can be said of umpires........Your notion players making a "shitload" of mistakes is a bit lop sided. Your comparing the potential of 21 players making mistakes as opposed to one or two umpires....If the comparison was one on one....I'd be questioning your ability to guarantee anything on this point........

I'll always give due deference to umpires for what they do, good or otherwise....can't have a game without them...no argument.

As for respect...in my book.... got to be earned ... Based on thoughts in this forum alone and on personal observations, it could be said there is more than one "tool" running around with a whistle in his mouth, particularly at Club level depending on your point of view. It is what it is.....Nowadays, the Tribunal sees that they are more than reasonably insulated from the type of abuse and scrutiny levelled at them in the past on both sides of the fence.

To quote the League "they are sacrosanct" (notwithstanding their level of competence and bias).

So let's not get to precious when I stated IMO....."you don't reward mediocrity" even though you seem happy to do so.
Cohiba
Reserves

Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 41 times

Postby HH3 » Fri Apr 17, 2015 12:13 pm

Cohiba wrote:The point was about umpires.......not players performances.....That said, based on your comment, if players mistakes are often attributed to the outcome of matches.....the same can be said of umpires........Your notion players making a "shitload" of mistakes is a bit lop sided. Your comparing the potential of 21 players making mistakes as opposed to one or two umpires....If the comparison was one on one....I'd be questioning your ability to guarantee anything on this point........

I'll always give due deference to umpires for what they do, good or otherwise....can't have a game without them...no argument.

As for respect...in my book.... got to be earned ... Based on thoughts in this forum alone and on personal observations, it could be said there is more than one "tool" running around with a whistle in his mouth, particularly at Club level depending on your point of view. It is what it is.....Nowadays, the Tribunal sees that they are more than reasonably insulated from the type of abuse and scrutiny levelled at them in the past on both sides of the fence.

To quote the League "they are sacrosanct" (notwithstanding their level of competence and bias).

So let's not get to precious when I stated IMO....."you don't reward mediocrity" even though you seem happy to do so.

I've played senior footy for a long time, and I would say the average umpire in my time would make maybe 5 or 6 100% wrong decisions per game.

If I had the same amount of possessions per game as they had decisions to make, I reckon I would f**k up way more than 5 or 6 of them. Be it by messing up the physical delivery of the ball, or the decision of where to give, shepherd, tackle, bump....yadda yadda. You get my point.

Also, they can only see things from one perspective, and then have multiple guys yelling at them who have seen the same incident from multiple angles between them, that highlights their mistake.

ALSO, when they make a mistake, usually play is stopped, letting everyone know that they have made a decision and it was wrong, now here's 20 seconds for everyone to take it in and get worked up over it. When a player makes a mistake, usually the ball is in play and most players on the field won't have time to think about it too much. Everyone pretty much moves on from it instantly.

I occasionally have a "word" to the umps, but afterwards I still usually respect them after the game. There has only been one umpire I thought blatantly cheated, and I got a 1 game suspension for calling him nasty names after a game a few years ago. He deserved it though. He was dismissed from club umpiring duties not long afterwards, I was told.
I TOLD YOU SO

HH3
Coach

Postby Cohiba » Fri Apr 17, 2015 1:25 pm

HH3 wrote:
Cohiba wrote:The point was about umpires.......not players performances.....That said, based on your comment, if players mistakes are often attributed to the outcome of matches.....the same can be said of umpires........Your notion players making a "shitload" of mistakes is a bit lop sided. Your comparing the potential of 21 players making mistakes as opposed to one or two umpires....If the comparison was one on one....I'd be questioning your ability to guarantee anything on this point........

I've played senior footy for a long time, and I would say the average umpire in my time would make maybe 5 or 6 100% wrong decisions per game.

If I had the same amount of possessions per game as they had decisions to make, I reckon I would f**k up way more than 5 or 6 of them. Be it by messing up the physical delivery of the ball, or the decision of where to give, shepherd, tackle, bump....yadda yadda. You get my point.

Also, they can only see things from one perspective, and then have multiple guys yelling at them who have seen the same incident from multiple angles between them, that highlights their mistake.

ALSO, when they make a mistake, usually play is stopped, letting everyone know that they have made a decision and it was wrong, now here's 20 seconds for everyone to take it in and get worked up over it. When a player makes a mistake, usually the ball is in play and most players on the field won't have time to think about it too much. Everyone pretty much moves on from it instantly.

I occasionally have a "word" to the umps, but afterwards I still usually respect them after the game. There has only been one umpire I thought blatantly cheated, and I got a 1 game suspension for calling him nasty names after a game a few years ago. He deserved it though. He was dismissed from club umpiring duties not long afterwards, I was told.

Based on what you've said as a senior footballer you obviously didn't rack up a lot of possessions in your stellar career. Also, on at least one occasion you disrespected an umpire, got suspended, and as a consequence that umpire was subsequently "dumped", according to you. It makes your point of view a bit shaky.

The upside is I believe the vast majority of our umpires do a great job often in difficult circumstance. But like players (who get suspended for example) there are on occasions when you can question their performance and competence to do he task at hand.

On that note I think we will only agree to disagree regarding umpires. All the best on the weekend laddie.....
Cohiba
Reserves

Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 41 times

Postby Footy Chick » Fri Apr 17, 2015 1:57 pm

I love how people think it's un-sportsman like not to shake hands with an opposition coach no matter the outcome but shaking an umps hand should purely be determined on said umps performance?

OOOOOkaaaaayyyyyyy....
Don't play games with a girl who can play 'em better...

Gatt_Weasel wrote:if they (Walkerville) dont win the flag ill run around the block of my street naked :) you can grab a chair and enjoy the view
Footy Chick

Has liked: 1738 times
Been liked: 2146 times

Postby HH3 » Fri Apr 17, 2015 2:03 pm

My point wasn't very clear Cohiba. I think I deserved the week off, because I shouldn't have said what I said, even though, in my mind, he deserved it. He's the umpire and I should have left it alone.

So if I ran into him and knocked a tooth out, I would probably expect a lengthy time on the sidelines. And it would be deserved.

You are right about one thing though. I'm quite shit.
I TOLD YOU SO

HH3
Coach

Postby woodublieve12 » Fri Apr 17, 2015 2:06 pm

Footy Chick wrote:I love how people think it's un-sportsman like not to shake hands with an opposition coach no matter the outcome but shaking an umps hand should purely be determined on said umps performance?

OOOOOkaaaaayyyyyyy....

shaking an umpires hand is a great way to get votes... Have a half decent game, be the first to shake the umpires hand.. :D
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Has liked: 3025 times
Been liked: 2398 times

Postby jo172 » Fri Apr 17, 2015 3:16 pm

Should I not shake an opponent's hand if they're shit?
jo172
League - Top 5

Postby Footy Chick » Fri Apr 17, 2015 3:25 pm

jo172 wrote:Should I not shake an opponent's hand if they're shit?

Should you shake an opponents hand if he has shit on it? ;)
Don't play games with a girl who can play 'em better...

Gatt_Weasel wrote:if they (Walkerville) dont win the flag ill run around the block of my street naked :) you can grab a chair and enjoy the view
Footy Chick

Has liked: 1738 times
Been liked: 2146 times

Postby superlative steve » Fri Apr 17, 2015 3:25 pm

So a so called "big dog" as someone referred to him got pushed into an umpire with enough force to knock a tooth out. Please
superlative steve
Under 16s

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 30 times

Postby Bluedemon » Fri Apr 17, 2015 4:48 pm

so if it was deliberate he would have got more?

when has head clashes been a 10 game suspension?

has something else happened in the game for this to occur?
SAFooty.net, where you hear the community football news first
Bluedemon
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 83 times
Been liked: 97 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

Postby jo172 » Fri Apr 17, 2015 4:54 pm

Bluedemon wrote:so if it was deliberate he would have got more?

You mean when has recklessly making severe, high contact with an umpire been 10 games?

I'm honestly surprised it's less than 12
jo172
League - Top 5

Postby S Demon » Fri Apr 17, 2015 4:57 pm

It is slightly confusing. He either did it deliberately in which case he should have got life OR he did it accidentally in which case he gets maybe a week and told to be more careful around the umpires. I guess it's hard without having seen it or knowing all the facts, but 10 weeks is a big suspension if it wasn't a deliberate act and 10 weeks is too light if it was IMO
S Demon
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 312 times
Been liked: 370 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby jo172 » Fri Apr 17, 2015 5:00 pm

S Demon wrote:

It is slightly confusing. He either did it deliberately in which case he should have got life OR he did it accidentally in which case he gets maybe a week and told to be more careful around the umpires. I guess it's hard without having seen it or knowing all the facts, but 10 weeks is a big suspension if it wasn't a deliberate act and 10 weeks is too light if it was IMO

Or he did it recklessly (which he was found guilty of) which is the middle standard ...
jo172
League - Top 5

Postby Look Good In Leather » Fri Apr 17, 2015 5:19 pm

wonder_kid wrote:Lol slamming these guys like they are thugs Ive been told the attemlted striking was a push to the chest and the head butt didnt happen and was a dive that looked bad .. also been told that anton got pushed into the umpire if any of this is true could it be another case of northern suburb club being unfairly treated?

The Old Scholars Cartel strikes again!
Look Good In Leather
League - Best 21

Has liked: 150 times
Been liked: 284 times
Grassroots Team: Christies Beach

Postby Look Good In Leather » Fri Apr 17, 2015 5:21 pm

HH3 wrote:
Cohiba wrote:
wristwatcher wrote:

...and get well rewarded for it. Having said that, they should be allowed to feel safe out there.
Look Good In Leather
League - Best 21

Postby Look Good In Leather » Fri Apr 17, 2015 5:25 pm

Cohiba wrote:
HH3 wrote:
Cohiba wrote:

The point was about umpires.......not players performances.....That said, based on your comment, if players mistakes are often attributed to the outcome of matches.....the same can be said of umpires........Your notion players making a "shitload" of mistakes is a bit lop sided. Your comparing the potential of 21 players making mistakes as opposed to one or two umpires....If the comparison was one on one....I'd be questioning your ability to guarantee anything on this point........

The role/position should be respected
Your comment is fair for an individual, but the position should be respected
Look Good In Leather
League - Best 21

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Adelaide Footy League