Rnd 3 - Glenelg v Central Fri 7.10

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: Rnd 3 - Glenelg v Central Fri 7.10

Postby Spargo » Fri Apr 17, 2015 1:24 pm

wild dog wrote:Retzlaff a big out kicking 4 of a small total last week. Stevens who looks promising also an out and combined with Goodrem depletes what was an ok first up game list despite the loss. Guys like Habel, Potter and Edmead and with the timely inclusion of Obrien can make the most of the conditions. I would like to see Habel play further forward - very skillful and composed with pace and must make this a break out year. Roy likes him breaking the lines but we need another option for goal.
Dogs by 12 pts.

With the inclement weather and likeliness of a small crowd, I'd imagine there'll be an abundance of free parking in the surrounding streets for those making the trip to Brighton Rd tonight ;)
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ
2024 champ, Spargo’s Good Friday Cup @ Ascot

I’ll wait for an angel, but I won’t hold my breath
‘Magine they’re busy, think I’m doin’ ok…
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5474 times
Been liked: 5116 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby wild dog » Fri Apr 17, 2015 3:40 pm

Spargo wrote:
wild dog wrote:Retzlaff a big out kicking 4 of a small total last week. Stevens who looks promising also an out and combined with Goodrem depletes what was an ok first up game list despite the loss. Guys like Habel, Potter and Edmead and with the timely inclusion of Obrien can make the most of the conditions. I would like to see Habel play further forward - very skillful and composed with pace and must make this a break out year. Roy likes him breaking the lines but we need another option for goal.
Dogs by 12 pts.

With the inclement weather and likeliness of a small crowd, I'd imagine there'll be an abundance of free parking in the surrounding streets for those making the trip to Brighton Rd tonight ;)

:lol: good point. If I can make it, car parking wont be a concern except for where the cab can pull up. The concern is making it past the braying Glenelg residents and executives holding pitchforks and burning Central supporter effigies. Crossing Gepps Cross on a Friday night scares the bejeezuz out of the poor pitiful sods.
wild dog
Under 18s

Has liked: 56 times
Been liked: 180 times
Grassroots Team: Smithfield

Postby Wedgie » Fri Apr 17, 2015 5:41 pm

Big Phil wrote:On Alleway, not sure on the exact figure but he would be pushing close to a dozen games, for mine...

He was up to 8 last year. So up to 9 now?
Lets panic every time he gets a suspension as if he plays till 40 he might get close to the limit at which you'd get let off anyway if you're playing for one of the SANFL's love children.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2042 times
Been liked: 3886 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby matt35 » Fri Apr 17, 2015 11:58 pm

Just back from another frustrating game from a Glenelg point of view. Another game where we played some good Football in patches, but in between were blitzed. First 4 goals and last 4 goals, with Centrals kicking 11 out of 12 goals in between.

Crowd: 2,667.
No Surrender!
matt35
Under 18s

Has liked: 513 times
Been liked: 51 times
Grassroots Team: Boston

Postby cennals05 » Sat Apr 18, 2015 9:45 am

Well it was a woeful first and last quarter. We really only played one and a half quarters. We have to start killing sides off. It could have been a 10 goal win. We won't get away with playing one and half quarters against any of the other sides.

Thanks to Glenelg for staying on the field and recognising Thommo.
cennals05
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 146 times
Been liked: 248 times

Postby whufc » Sat Apr 18, 2015 11:01 am

cennals05 wrote:Well it was a woeful first and last quarter. We really only played one and a half quarters. We have to start killing sides off. It could have been a 10 goal win. We won't get away with playing one and half quarters against any of the other sides.

Thanks to Glenelg for staying on the field and recognising Thommo.

Agree

Happy with the win for a very inexperienced side but realistically we only played 1.5 quarters of decent football against a rabble will be wooden spoon side.

Need to learn to play 4 quarters before we can entertain the idea of playing finals
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5586 times
Been liked: 2527 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby Tech1 » Sat Apr 18, 2015 12:59 pm

Don't rate Centrals, easily the worst side we have played this year. Sturt>South>Centrals. Having said that, all they needed to do was play a quarter and a half of really good footy and it was enough to beat us. The way we played in the third quarter was a disgrace, our players don't work hard enough, decision making is poor, skills have improved a bit but we are frontrunners, as soon as we where challenged they struggled, not disciplined either, too many easy free kicks given away. Hard to know when we will get a win, so far our best is good enough imho, in all three games we have looked great in a quarter or two but that's not good enough when you completely stop in the other quarters. Frustrating start to the year, hope we can improve and the players don't lose confidence even though they only have themselves to blame for the results so far.
Tech1
Rookie

Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 27 times

Postby whufc » Sat Apr 18, 2015 1:09 pm

Tech1 wrote:Don't rate Centrals, easily the worst side we have played this year. Sturt>South>Centrals. Having said that, all they needed to do was play a quarter and a half of really good footy and it was enough to beat us. The way we played in the third quarter was a disgrace, our players don't work hard enough, decision making is poor, skills have improved a bit but we are frontrunners, as soon as we where challenged they struggled, not disciplined either, too many easy free kicks given away. Hard to know when we will get a win, so far our best is good enough imho, in all three games we have looked great in a quarter or two but that's not good enough when you completely stop in the other quarters. Frustrating start to the year, hope we can improve and the players don't lose confidence even though they only have themselves to blame for the results so far.

Funnily enough if it wasn't for 3 junk time goals once the game was dusted we have had the most comfortable win against your mob this year

I reckon apart from Glenelg are dead set spooners and Norwood are the best it's far to early in the season to have a pecking order for the other 6 sides
whufc
Coach

Postby Big Phil » Sat Apr 18, 2015 1:10 pm

Tech1 wrote:Don't rate Centrals, easily the worst side we have played this year. Sturt>South>Centrals. Having said that, all they needed to do was play a quarter and a half of really good footy and it was enough to beat us. The way we played in the third quarter was a disgrace, our players don't work hard enough, decision making is poor, skills have improved a bit but we are frontrunners, as soon as we where challenged they struggled, not disciplined either, too many easy free kicks given away. Hard to know when we will get a win, so far our best is good enough imho, in all three games we have looked great in a quarter or two but that's not good enough when you completely stop in the other quarters. Frustrating start to the year, hope we can improve and the players don't lose confidence even though they only have themselves to blame for the results so far.

Central probably had 3 or 4 of their best starting 21 out...
Big Phil
Coach

Has liked: 120 times
Been liked: 271 times

Postby whufc » Sat Apr 18, 2015 1:40 pm

Big Phil wrote:

Glenelg did have a few keys outs though as well didnt they?

For Centrals you could argue Retzlaff and Goodrem are number 1 & 2 as our most important players.

Some would also have Waldhutter in our top 5 as well
whufc
Coach

Postby Tech1 » Sat Apr 18, 2015 3:52 pm

whufc wrote:
Big Phil wrote:

Glenelg did have a few keys outs though as well didnt they?

For Centrals you could argue Retzlaff and Goodrem are number 1 & 2 as our most important players.

Some would also have Waldhutter in our top 5 as well

Probably 3 out for us in our best team. Alleway is clearly our best forward (that's where we are at atm), Proud one of our best defenders, McCarthy another key defender who would be in our best 18. We really are lacking in the key forward and key backman areas, we've recruited plenty of pace and skill but massively lacking in the big man department, even with those guys included.
Tech1
Rookie

Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 27 times

Postby am Bays » Sat Apr 18, 2015 8:54 pm

Bays will not finish last this year

We've demonstrated this year our best is good enough against two finalists from last year and the perennial benchmark of the competition in the last 20 years.

Our problem is that our worst is just not acceptable because we start playing "me" footy not "we" footy.. Stop our silly mistakes and our results will improve.

Each week our "me" footy has decreased. Wins are just around the corner for us

Keep writing us off though.
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 162 times
Been liked: 1807 times

Postby JK » Sat Apr 18, 2015 9:05 pm

Don't think anyone would doubt the Bay's would improve this year, they surely had to. But so will several of their opponents. The Crows might save them but unfortunately mate it's hard not to see the Tiges getting caught up in the battle for the spoon.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4458 times
Been liked: 2986 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby johntheclaret » Sun Apr 19, 2015 12:46 am

am Bays wrote:Bays will not finish last this year

We've demonstrated this year our best is good enough against two finalists from last year and the perennial benchmark of the competition in the last 20 years.

Our problem is that our worst is just not acceptable because we start playing "me" footy not "we" footy.. Stop our silly mistakes and our results will improve.

Who has a worse outfit than Glenelg am?
johntheclaret
Coach

Has liked: 409 times
Been liked: 580 times

Postby whufc » Sun Apr 19, 2015 9:46 am

am Bays wrote:Bays will not finish last this year

Apart from the Crows, hard to see you finishing anywhere else.
whufc
Coach

Postby am Bays » Mon Apr 20, 2015 2:00 pm

johntheclaret wrote:Who has a worse outfit than Glenelg am?

Norwood has always had a worse outfit/Guernsey than us

The new umpires rig is a pretty poor outfit too!!

I only posted in this thread so when I posted in our winning threads I didn't get accused of being an Eagles supporter and only posting after a win!!!

:D :D
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 162 times
Been liked: 1807 times

Postby topsywaldron » Mon Apr 20, 2015 5:26 pm

johntheclaret wrote:Who has a worse outfit than Glenelg am?

Has or is?
'People are not stupid. They know when they are being conned. And two reserves teams operating in a League competition will reduce it to a farce, a competition without a soul.'

Dion Hayman 24th July 2013
topsywaldron
Veteran

Has liked: 21 times
Been liked: 218 times

Postby Dogwatcher » Mon Apr 20, 2015 5:38 pm

Or we talking haute couture here?
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby topsywaldron » Mon Apr 20, 2015 5:54 pm

Leave Todd Grima out of this.
'People are not stupid. They know when they are being conned. And two reserves teams operating in a League competition will reduce it to a farce, a competition without a soul.'

Dion Hayman 24th July 2013
topsywaldron
Veteran

Has liked: 21 times
Been liked: 218 times

Postby wild dog » Mon Apr 20, 2015 9:06 pm

Classy of Glenelg Footy Club staying out and recognising Thomos 250th after what must have been a disappointing loss. Well done.
wild dog
Under 18s

Has liked: 56 times
Been liked: 180 times
Grassroots Team: Smithfield

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL