The never ending No AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: The never ending No AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

Postby twosheds » Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:37 am

Cambridge Clarrie wrote:I can't believe people are still going on about this... :roll: Move on...

What you can't believe people are expressing an opinion on something they have strong feelings about, imagine us having the temerity to do that.
Get your own Arts Show ya fairy !
twosheds
Under 16s

Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 18 times

Postby johntheclaret » Mon Apr 27, 2015 11:13 am

There is a lot of discord on here and a lot of " get over it" or "move on"
But step back for a second. Those who feel passionately about not having Reserve teams in the SANFL have a right to push their cause, and where else are they expected to do this other than on a football forum dedicated to the SANFL.

Anyone who suggests they should raise it with their clubs should think first.
A) Don't you think these people, so passionate about their league, haven't already done that?
B) During the whole 'debate', such as it was, how many of the 6 clubs that voted yes actually asked for their own members views?
C) Ergo, the clubs not having asked for views let alone votes from members, how many are likely to acknowledge or accept any dissension from any members?

In other words, where else are these passionate supporters of the SANFL supposed to vent their protests other than on a football forum dedicated to the SANFL ?
I note that many who take the "move on" or "get over it" stance are either Port Adelaide supporters or have the Crows as their AFL team. Either way those same people have an obvious loyalty to the AFL or their reserve sides and not ultimately to the SANFL.

Personally I think it is a shame what has happened to the SANFL forum on SAFooty.net and feel for the administrators who need to generate income to pay for the site. Many members have stopped posting, traffic certainly seems to be on the wane and this might be a worry for the admin team ?

I am sure the "move on" or "get over it" brigade will point the finger at the 'whingers' for driving posters away, without a single consideration that some posters have "moved on" and "got over it" by changing sports codes or just lost interest altogether. Or god forbid decided that the SANFL is no longer for them and neither is an SANFL forum.

I have a genuine sympathy for those SANFL supporters who oppose the unilateral decisions made by 'Their' clubs. I've taken the stance to continue supporting my club by way of memberships and sponsorship but I certainly feel the SANFL has been degraded by the inclusion of the AFL Reserve sides. But it is an easier decision for me, not standing on the outer every week watching my team.
I also acknowledge the absolute frustration, anger and genuine angst many members feel that a club they have supported all their lives made a fundamental league changing decision without having the opportunity to not only vote on the issue but even have a say.

Remember for true SANFL fans, like fans of other sports, their club is for life. It's part of their family, it's their wife, son and daughter, it's their best mates and a way of life. Those who feel betrayed by their club will feel genuine anger and heartache which sometimes you can't just "get over it" or "move on".

And if you think it's all bullshit, think how you feel when your team loses a grand final !! Now transfer that feeling every day of the week, every week of the season. It might be a bit easier when you have 2 teams, an AFL team and an SANFL team and therefore you genuinely don't understand what all the fuss us about? Well good luck to ya. Not everyone feels the same.
johntheclaret
Coach

Has liked: 409 times
Been liked: 580 times

Postby Cambridge Clarrie » Mon Apr 27, 2015 11:26 am

twosheds wrote:
Cambridge Clarrie wrote:I can't believe people are still going on about this... :roll: Move on...

What you can't believe people are expressing an opinion on something they have strong feelings about, imagine us having the temerity to do that.

I can imagine the same comments be made in ten years time on page 10,233 of this thread...

I'd prefer not to have the AFL teams in the comp, but it's a fact and so I've moved on...
"They do say, Mrs M, that verbal insults hurt more than physical pain. They are, of course, wrong, as you will soon discover when I stick this toasting fork into your head"
Cambridge Clarrie
League - Best 21

Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 31 times

Postby Spargo » Mon Apr 27, 2015 11:30 am

johntheclaret wrote:There is a lot of discord on here and a lot of " get over it" or "move on"
But step back for a second. Those who feel passionately about not having Reserve teams in the SANFL have a right to push their cause, and where else are they expected to do this other than on a football forum dedicated to the SANFL.

A) Don't you think these people, so passionate about their league, haven't already done that?
B) During the whole 'debate', such as it was, how many of the 6 clubs that voted yes actually asked for their own members views?
C) Ergo, the clubs not having asked for views let alone votes from members, how many are likely to acknowledge or accept any dissension from any members?

In other words, where else are these passionate supporters of the SANFL supposed to vent their protests other than on a football forum dedicated to the SANFL ?
I note that many who take the "move on" or "get over it" stance are either Port Adelaide supporters or have the Crows as their AFL team. Either way those same people have an obvious loyalty to the AFL or their reserve sides and not ultimately to the SANFL.

Personally I think it is a shame what has happened to the SANFL forum on SAFooty.net and feel for the administrators who need to generate income to pay for the site. Many members have stopped posting, traffic certainly seems to be on the wane and this might be a worry for the admin team ?

I am sure the "move on" or "get over it" brigade will point the finger at the 'whingers' for driving posters away, without a single consideration that some posters have "moved on" and "got over it" by changing sports codes or just lost interest altogether. Or god forbid decided that the SANFL is no longer for them and neither is an SANFL forum.

I have a genuine sympathy for those SANFL supporters who oppose the unilateral decisions made by 'Their' clubs. I've taken the stance to continue supporting my club by way of memberships and sponsorship but I certainly feel the SANFL has been degraded by the inclusion of the AFL Reserve sides. But it is an easier decision for me, not standing on the outer every week watching my team.
I also acknowledge the absolute frustration, anger and genuine angst many members feel that a club they have supported all their lives made a fundamental league changing decision without having the opportunity to not only vote on the issue but even have a say.

Remember for true SANFL fans, like fans of other sports, their club is for life. It's part of their family, it's their wife, son and daughter, it's their best mates and a way of life. Those who feel betrayed by their club will feel genuine anger and heartache which sometimes you can't just "get over it" or "move on".

And if you think it's all bullshit, think how you feel when your team loses a grand final !! Now transfer that feeling every day of the week, every week of the season. It might be a bit easier when you have 2 teams, an AFL team and an SANFL team and therefore you genuinely don't understand what all the fuss us about? Well good luck to ya. Not everyone feels the same.

One of the best posts I've ever read on this site.
Well said JTC.
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ
2024 champ, Spargo’s Good Friday Cup @ Ascot

I’ll wait for an angel, but I won’t hold my breath
‘Magine they’re busy, think I’m doin’ ok…
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5475 times
Been liked: 5116 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby whufc » Mon Apr 27, 2015 11:49 am

johntheclaret wrote:There is a lot of discord on here and a lot of " get over it" or "move on"

Perfect post mate

You should see some the looks I get at work when people find out I love aussie rules but don't support an AFL team or care much for the AFL comp
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5586 times
Been liked: 2527 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Mon Apr 27, 2015 12:00 pm

Quite simply the best post on this issue

You can see the lack of interest in the SANFL with very little activity in the match threads both prior to and after a match
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11839 times
Been liked: 3597 times

Postby o five » Mon Apr 27, 2015 2:34 pm

Excellent post fellow Rooster 8)
o five
Under 16s

Has liked: 219 times
Been liked: 39 times

Postby tipper » Mon Apr 27, 2015 5:30 pm

bennymacca wrote:
LPH wrote:matt35: It rained @ 1/2 time last year & most of the Cows supporters left - or did I hallucinate the outer wing disperse?
Twist the crowd numbers anyway you wish - fact is they are down & so are memberships & the reason is these 2 entities.

crowd numbers were up last year... no matter how you twist it.

whether they are up this year is a different argument, and it looks like they wont be.

no, you are twisting it Benny. crowd numbers were up on the record lowest year for attendances ever-2013. from memory the 2014 figures were the second lowest for the last 15 or 20 seasons, and the numbers are right here in this thread, brought up at the end of the season by myself and others. dig through and find them if you dont believe me.

and so far this season, the afl sides are averaging less than 2000 people at their games. pretty damning numbers, although it is early in the season i suppose. are the crows expecting any other fan favourites to return from lengthy injuries this season? that may help their numbers a bit i suppose.....
tipper
League - Top 5

Has liked: 359 times
Been liked: 531 times
Grassroots Team: Peake

Postby twosheds » Mon Apr 27, 2015 6:22 pm

hear Hear !
twosheds
Under 16s

Postby twosheds » Mon Apr 27, 2015 6:27 pm

Cambridge Clarrie wrote:
twosheds wrote:

I can imagine the same comments be made in ten years time on page 10,233 of this thread...

I'd prefer not to have the AFL teams in the comp, but it's a fact and so I've moved on...

You do realise you have the option not to come into a discussion entitled "The never ending No AFL in the SANFL whinge thread" don't you ?
twosheds
Under 16s

Postby sjt » Mon Apr 27, 2015 8:16 pm

Walsh on 5aa said tonight of the "state league team", to paraphrase- they were in both the games against north Adelaide and west Adelaide but they had to rest players in the final quarter in case of afl preparation, thus reducing rotation flexibility. Great integrity our competition. The afl lottery as Roy laird mentioned fully unashamedly announced.
sjt
League - Best 21

Has liked: 118 times
Been liked: 59 times

Postby LPH » Mon Apr 27, 2015 8:26 pm

Thank You JTC - the voice of reason (even if you are a Burnley Fan ;) )
Fine post - Kudos to You

Get over it?
I don't think one could completely get over something being slowly eroded away, that was so CENTRAL to one's existence for so long. :(
Stephen Trigg & Rob Chapman are SA Football Patriots
LPH
League - Best 21

Has liked: 541 times
Been liked: 326 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

Postby saintal » Mon Apr 27, 2015 8:37 pm

sjt wrote:Walsh on 5aa said tonight of the "state league team", to paraphrase- they were in both the games against north Adelaide and west Adelaide but they had to rest players in the final quarter in case of afl preparation, thus reducing rotation flexibility. Great integrity our competition. The afl lottery as Roy laird mentioned fully unashamedly announced.

https://soundcloud.com/fiveaa/phil-walsh-27415

From 18:00 or so. Too honest for his own good, basically confirming what we already knew.

Feel free to rest 3 or 4 blokes in the final term on Saturday night if you like Phil

:roll:
SAFC- 60 years...
StKFC- 58 years..
saintal
Coach

Has liked: 346 times
Been liked: 429 times

Postby southee » Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:53 pm

Cambridge Clarrie wrote:
twosheds wrote:

Bloody hard to "move on"when my club asked it's members whether they should vote "yes"or "no". (yes, to all other clubs its called consultation !!!)

Feedback from members/supporters was "no" and my club held its promise (unlike some clubs that sold their souls) and voted "no".

Plus the fact I am still pretty pi$$ed off from getting beaten by a team of professional full time footballers in the Preliminary Final last year that may have cost us our first flag since 1964........but hey, we can only try again in 2015.

If anyone, I think I have a right to be pretty dark on the issue but also the other clubs who decided at the midnight hour to go back on their word, lie to their members/supporters and vote "yes".

Anyway, its done and its has definitely had a negative effect on the competition and unfortunately interest in the SANFL as a whole.

Let's hope our kids coming though will have some interest in the SANFL in years to come. :?
Is out of change.....thanks Cambridge Clarrie!!!
southee
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 858 times
Been liked: 122 times

Postby topsywaldron » Tue Apr 28, 2015 6:19 pm

As indicated by anyone with understands sport, great post JTC.

That some nimrods can't understand wanting their clubs achievements to mean something, by competing on a level playing field against other clubs all striving for the same thing is beyond me.

Yes I went crazy at the full time siren in last year's GF but there's always a little question in my mind as to how Port would have gone if they had been allowed to pick Bruggeman. Easily in their best 21, their only recognised tap ruckman and forced to give way to some no name AFL clone running around the midfield. Maybe Norwood would have still won but to be playing a team whose only ambition wasn't to win the GF will always leave a sour taste in my mouth. *

Let's hope we can flog a proper team in the GF this year.
'People are not stupid. They know when they are being conned. And two reserves teams operating in a League competition will reduce it to a farce, a competition without a soul.'

Dion Hayman 24th July 2013
topsywaldron
Veteran

Has liked: 21 times
Been liked: 218 times

Postby Dutchy » Tue Apr 28, 2015 8:51 pm

saintal wrote:
sjt wrote:Walsh on 5aa said tonight of the "state league team", to paraphrase- they were in both the games against north Adelaide and west Adelaide but they had to rest players in the final quarter in case of afl preparation, thus reducing rotation flexibility. Great integrity our competition. The afl lottery as Roy laird mentioned fully unashamedly announced.

https://soundcloud.com/fiveaa/phil-walsh-27415

From 18:00 or so. Too honest for his own good, basically confirming what we already knew.

Feel free to rest 3 or 4 blokes in the final term on Saturday night if you like Phil

:roll:

Listened to that this morning while driving in the country today and I nearly crashed the car in anger, anyone think they respect our competition now? Now they don't give a shit officially and are happy to rub out noses in it.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2322 times
Been liked: 3495 times

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:04 pm

I haven't listened to it, but did Rowey or Bicks pick him up on that???

I doubt they battered an eye to it
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Postby Big Phil » Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:15 pm

mighty_tiger_79 wrote:I haven't listened to it, but did Rowey or Bicks pick him up on that???

No. Moved straight onto the next question, regarding pulling* the sub at AFL level...
Big Phil
Coach

Has liked: 120 times
Been liked: 271 times

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:18 pm

Thanks BP for confirming what I thought.
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Postby Dutchy » Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:21 pm

Big Phil wrote:
mighty_tiger_79 wrote:I haven't listened to it, but did Rowey or Bicks pick him up on that???

No. Moved straight onto the next question, regarding pulling* the sub at AFL level...

Which is almost as bad as the comment itself, shows how desensitised the media are about the SANFL now, 5AA don't have any SANFL content anymore
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2322 times
Been liked: 3495 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL