Rnd 4 - Central v Eagles @ Playford Alive (Sat 25/4)

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: Rnd 4 - Central v Eagles @ Playford Alive (Sat 25/4)

Postby ferret » Sun Apr 26, 2015 10:47 am

Great to see the Eagles' persistence with some of their former juniors now paying dividends. Although some/many thought they should have been shelved the fruit is now bearing. Although not stars at underage levels a good grounding at reserves level has proved successful. Friendships and bondings formed by playing together for numerous years brings great spirit vital for a successful team.
Much criticised Sam Martyn was not bought up in an AFL type environment hence has does not look like a fluid smooth moving footballer, but his gut running from start to finish wins out for him. Must be persisted with.
Godden in the off season has obviously put a lot of planning into the game plan and his relationship with the players. Both having a significant effect.
The use of Goldsworthy and Jarrad coming out of defence has been devastating and sets up many opportunities.
Lachy McGregor has shown the benefit of a second league preseason and has shown form that must put him in contention for a state berth.
Huge test next week as the Eagles have not yet beaten a Crows or power reserve team.
ferret
Reserves

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 137 times

Postby Mickyj » Sun Apr 26, 2015 10:58 am

wedgetail wrote:Missed the Norwood game last week unfortunately and was worried about this one due to our poor record at Eliz. The trend out here has been poor starts and being 3-4 goals down at 1/4 time and virtually out of the game due to Centrals strong teams over that time holding us at arms length. Being up at 1/4 time today into the wind was foreign territory and proved to be decisive as centrals, with less quality than in the past and the Eagles with more run, body pressure and a better game style took control. An even team effort with McGregor, Goldsworthy, Borholm all playing big roles.

Sorry u missed the norwood game Wedgetail started the same way into the wind that week as well.
Land based Lure Bream Fisherman
PB
Hardbody Bream 38cm
Hardbody Mulloway 40cm
Softplastic Bream 38cm
Fly Bream 30cm
Mickyj
Coach

Has liked: 154 times
Been liked: 22 times

Postby cennals05 » Sun Apr 26, 2015 12:45 pm

Eagles looked good. They use the ball very well. We on the other hand cannot seem to hit a target with a kick or a handball. If you turn it over against the Eagles their rebound is good and will hurt on the scoreboard.

Centrals once again showed they can have as much play but just the skill level is letting us down at the moment and also the forward line hasn't quite worked itself out yet with Retzlaff out.

One sour point of the day was that Centrals were charging veterans to get in! My Dad came down after the march and was asked to pay, along with a few others. The club say they were not told by the SANFL that servicemen and ex-servicemen got in for free. Complete cop out if you ask me. How many ANZAC day games have we played in over the last 15 years? Anyway the club are aware of the error and there are a few veterans that they owe an apology and a couple of beers to. Not acceptable to be treating veterans like that on ANZAC day.
cennals05
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 146 times
Been liked: 248 times

Postby whufc » Sun Apr 26, 2015 12:48 pm

cennals05 wrote:Eagles looked good. They use the ball very well. We on the other hand cannot seem to hit a target with a kick or a handball. If you turn it over against the Eagles their rebound is good and will hurt on the scoreboard.

Centrals once again showed they can have as much play but just the skill level is letting us down at the moment and also the forward line hasn't quite worked itself out yet with Retzlaff out.

One sour point of the day was that Centrals were charging veterans to get in! My Dad came down after the march and was asked to pay, along with a few others. The club say they were not told by the SANFL that servicemen and ex-servicemen got in for free. Complete cop out if you ask me. How many ANZAC day games have we played in over the last 15 years? Anyway the club are aware of the error and there are a few veterans that they owe an apology and a couple of beers to. Not acceptable to be treating veterans like that on ANZAC day.

But will continue to blame the fans for why the Dogs attendances are dropping

We are very quickly becoming the Glenelg of the SANFL! ;)
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5586 times
Been liked: 2527 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby JK » Sun Apr 26, 2015 1:04 pm

whufc wrote:
cennals05 wrote:Eagles looked good. They use the ball very well. We on the other hand cannot seem to hit a target with a kick or a handball. If you turn it over against the Eagles their rebound is good and will hurt on the scoreboard.

But will continue to blame the fans for why the Dogs attendances are dropping

We are very quickly becoming the Glenelg of the SANFL! ;)

Except the Bays actually get their lights on ;) (even of only for A while)
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4458 times
Been liked: 2986 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby Mr Fuller » Sun Apr 26, 2015 3:03 pm

So I finally saw the eagles for the first time on Saturday and they looked very impressive. We look fitter and faster (with the absence of Powell) which has allowed our midfielders to push forward and create more goal-kicking options than being totally reliant on Wundke and Ainger.

The move of Goldsworthy to the backline has been a masterstroke by Godden. He had clearly stagnated as a forward and this move has allowed him to use his creativity and excellent ball delivery to set up many forward thrusts.

The inclusions of Petrenko and Rowntree this year have helped take the opposition’s attention off Boyd which in turn has given him more freedom to find the ball. Hayes is our other midfield recruit but isn’t up to SANFL league standard just yet. However he has all the skills required and has significant potential for improvement as the season wears on.

Bornholm looks to have made great strides and dominated on Saturday (though admittedly I am not sure about whether the bulldogs opponent was a rookie or not). But if he can maintain this form then we will have a very good rucking combo with the inclusion of Thurlow when he returns from injury in a few weeks.

McGregor is a sensation though I recall he started in similar fashion last year. His challenge will be to keep it up throughout the season.

Our backlines appear much tougher and harder at the ball. Certainly the absence of Sumner helps but I think all the players have stepped it up.
Whittlesea seems like a promising player. However, I was a little puzzled as to why he was chosen ahead of Von Bertouch who I thought was one of best players last year. Was the latter injured or did he play in the reserves?

Martyn appears to have improved out of sight. He always was a good runner but he appears to have improved his disposal and ball getting ability. Schwarz and Poole extremely disappointing and it is massively concerning how both continue to get a game. Lack of depth? Despite significant time on the park, neither got enough of the footy and continued to make basic skill areas throughout the game which caused turn-overs. Both need to be dropped ASAP. I would expect Allmond to come into the side in the next few weeks to replace one of them.

I also think we need to work out kicking from full-back. Not sure whether Thompson should be given this task as he made some really dumb decisions a couple of which led to Centrals’ goals. I would give Goldsworthy the responsibility if he remains down there.

All up though it was a very encouraging performance. By beating Centrals at Elizabeth (which we haven’t done in years) Godden managed to tick off one challenge. This week he has the opportunity to test his game plan against the Power who mauled us last year.
Mr Fuller
Reserves

Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 123 times

Postby wristwatcher » Sun Apr 26, 2015 5:23 pm

Mr Fuller wrote:So I finally saw the eagles for the first time on Saturday and they looked very impressive. We look fitter and faster (with the absence of Powell) which has allowed our midfielders to push forward and create more goal-kicking options than being totally reliant on Wundke and Ainger.

The move of Goldsworthy to the backline has been a masterstroke by Godden. He had clearly stagnated as a forward and this move has allowed him to use his creativity and excellent ball delivery to set up many forward thrusts.

The inclusions of Petrenko and Rowntree this year have helped take the opposition’s attention off Boyd which in turn has given him more freedom to find the ball. Hayes is our other midfield recruit but isn’t up to SANFL league standard just yet. However he has all the skills required and has significant potential for improvement as the season wears on.

Bornholm looks to have made great strides and dominated on Saturday (though admittedly I am not sure about whether the bulldogs opponent was a rookie or not). But if he can maintain this form then we will have a very good rucking combo with the inclusion of Thurlow when he returns from injury in a few weeks.

McGregor is a sensation though I recall he started in similar fashion last year. His challenge will be to keep it up throughout the season.

Our backlines appear much tougher and harder at the ball. Certainly the absence of Sumner helps but I think all the players have stepped it up.
Whittlesea seems like a promising player. However, I was a little puzzled as to why he was chosen ahead of Von Bertouch who I thought was one of best players last year. Was the latter injured or did he play in the reserves?

Martyn appears to have improved out of sight. He always was a good runner but he appears to have improved his disposal and ball getting ability. Schwarz and Poole extremely disappointing and it is massively concerning how both continue to get a game. Lack of depth? Despite significant time on the park, neither got enough of the footy and continued to make basic skill areas throughout the game which caused turn-overs. Both need to be dropped ASAP. I would expect Allmond to come into the side in the next few weeks to replace one of them.

I also think we need to work out kicking from full-back. Not sure whether Thompson should be given this task as he made some really dumb decisions a couple of which led to Centrals’ goals. I would give Goldsworthy the responsibility if he remains down there.

All up though it was a very encouraging performance. By beating Centrals at Elizabeth (which we haven’t done in years) Godden managed to tick off one challenge. This week he has the opportunity to test his game plan against the Power who mauled us last year.

Good write up Mr. F

How did they work Ainger and Wundke this week?
The PNU Falcs 2005,06,13 x 2,14 and Div 1 Premiers in 2019......The SA 3peat - 2003,04,05
wristwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 845 times

Postby Mickyj » Sun Apr 26, 2015 7:24 pm

wristwatcher wrote:
Mr Fuller wrote:So I finally saw the eagles for the first time on Saturday and they looked very impressive. We look fitter and faster (with the absence of Powell) which has allowed our midfielders to push forward and create more goal-kicking options than being totally reliant on Wundke and Ainger.

Good write up Mr. F

How did they work Ainger and Wundke this week?

Seeing your a power fan should we tell the enemy how they played
A the same as last week
b different than last week
c the same as last year
d none of the above
PB
Hardbody Bream 38cm
Hardbody Mulloway 40cm
Softplastic Bream 38cm
Fly Bream 30cm
Mickyj
Coach

Postby dogbreath » Sun Apr 26, 2015 10:59 pm

Boys v Men unfortunately. Weagles way too good.

Keep that up and they are premiership favourites.
dogbreath

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 24 times

Postby human_torpedo » Mon Apr 27, 2015 11:21 am

Mondays are always better when the Eagles win because the usual Eagles fans who seem to live to berate Goddsy and the playing group are no where to be seen.. Its refreshing
human_torpedo
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 371 times

Postby Premiers » Mon Apr 27, 2015 5:43 pm

To Mr Fuller,
Accepting that the Forum is for supporters to give their opinions, it's disappointing to read your frequent harsh appraisals of Poole and Schwarz,s form. You've obviously formed a blinkered opinion and are unable to accept or recognise the improvement in these lads - both players played big parts in the Eagles win against Norwood. For example, Schwarz 21 disposals, 16 tackles 9 clearances against the reigning premier's midfielders suggests your way off - but of course, you weren't at the Norwood match! Schwarz and Poole may never be a "Cross or Kirkwood" but they're bursting their guts for the Eagles, improving and deserve a little respect. Godden obviously thinks so.
Premiers

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time
Grassroots Team: Adelaide University

Postby JK » Mon Apr 27, 2015 6:04 pm

Premiers wrote:Schwarz 21 disposals, 16 tackles 9 clearances against the reigning premier's midfielders suggests your way off

That's a massive day out! Whilst we were very poor that day, our midfield rarely get's beat up like that.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4458 times
Been liked: 2986 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby Mr Fuller » Mon Apr 27, 2015 7:50 pm

Premiers wrote:To Mr Fuller,
Accepting that the Forum is for supporters to give their opinions, it's disappointing to read your frequent harsh appraisals of Poole and Schwarz,s form. You've obviously formed a blinkered opinion and are unable to accept or recognise the improvement in these lads - both players played big parts in the Eagles win against Norwood. For example, Schwarz 21 disposals, 16 tackles 9 clearances against the reigning premier's midfielders suggests your way off - but of course, you weren't at the Norwood match! Schwarz and Poole may never be a "Cross or Kirkwood" but they're bursting their guts for the Eagles, improving and deserve a little respect. Godden obviously thinks so.

Fair enough, though I really don't believe having played 1 reasonable game this season and 2 ordinary matches (as well as poor previous seasons) qualifies as me being 'way off' in my assessment that these two blokes aren't up to it. Given you defence of these guys I am going to assume you weren't at Elizabeth??

Look I'm not denying these guys give their all for the club which is great but here comes a time when the Coach needs to make a call that there is no more improvement to come. The question is how long do they get before we try some of the other kids?
Mr Fuller
Reserves

Postby Mickyj » Mon Apr 27, 2015 8:04 pm

human_torpedo wrote:Mondays are always better when the Eagles win because the usual Eagles fans who seem to live to berate Goddsy and the playing group are no where to be seen.. Its refreshing

Spot on even the complaining one from the Eagles nest has gone missing
PB
Hardbody Bream 38cm
Hardbody Mulloway 40cm
Softplastic Bream 38cm
Fly Bream 30cm
Mickyj
Coach

Postby Mickyj » Mon Apr 27, 2015 8:19 pm

Mr Fuller wrote:
Premiers wrote:To Mr Fuller,

Fair enough, though I really don't believe having played 1 reasonable game this season and 2 ordinary matches (as well as poor previous seasons) qualifies as me being 'way off' in my assessment that these two blokes aren't up to it. Given you defence of these guys I am going to assume you weren't at Elizabeth??

Look I'm not denying these guys give their all for the club which is great but here comes a time when the Coach needs to make a call that there is no more improvement to come. The question is how long do they get before we try some of the other kids?

While those two werent as good as they were against Norwood Bomber stepped up and played his best game for the year .

LEts not be picky even veterans stuff up from game to game
PB
Hardbody Bream 38cm
Hardbody Mulloway 40cm
Softplastic Bream 38cm
Fly Bream 30cm
Mickyj
Coach

Postby ferret » Mon Apr 27, 2015 8:22 pm

Mr Fuller you are an absolute pain in the arse supporter, always negative and critical.
Supporters were always critical when we lost our best juniors to the draft. Now we try and develop the next tier down to provide the club with long term rewards, you still complain that it's taking too long. If they are not the cream of the crop they will always take longer to develop.
Tom Schwartz was given the clubs best player award against Norwood.
Angus Poole has been great in all three games, provides something the club has lacked at ground level for some time. Our small ground level players in Boyd, McGregor and Poole have added a different and exciting element to our game plan. Also, Poole is a very accurate kick for goal.
To make knowledgeable and informed comments you should regularly watch both reserves and league matches throughout the year.
ferret
Reserves

Postby ferret » Mon Apr 27, 2015 8:23 pm

Mr Fuller you are an absolute pain in the arse supporter, always negative and critical.
Supporters were always critical when we lost our best juniors to the draft. Now we try and develop the next tier down to provide the club with long term rewards, you still complain that it's taking too long. If they are not the cream of the crop they will always take longer to develop.
Tom Schwartz was given the clubs best player award against Norwood.
Angus Poole has been great in all three games, provides something the club has lacked at ground level for some time. Our small ground level players in Boyd, McGregor and Poole have added a different and exciting element to our game plan. Also, Poole is a very accurate kick for goal.
To make knowledgeable and informed comments you should regularly watch both reserves and league matches throughout the year.
ferret
Reserves

Postby Mr Fuller » Mon Apr 27, 2015 8:46 pm

Disappointing that you take offence to observations Ferret. I comment on all the good performances and bad performances on most games but it appears you have no stomach to read the latter even when it is absolutely warranted. I do watch most game Ferret. How about yourself? Were you actually dedicated enough to make an effort to take the drive to Elizabeth on the weekend to watch (in potentially poor weather) the match? I know many eagles supporters who weren't. What in my comments about the game were not accurate? Godden coached well, he has changed his game-plan from last year and it looks great. We had some great players as well as some passengers. Get over it FFS and stop being so precious!!!
Mr Fuller
Reserves

Postby Mickyj » Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:23 pm

Mr Fuller wrote:Disappointing that you take offence to observations Ferret. I comment on all the good performances and bad performances on most games but it appears you have no stomach to read the latter even when it is absolutely warranted. I do watch most game Ferret. How about yourself? Were you actually dedicated enough to make an effort to take the drive to Elizabeth on the weekend to watch (in potentially poor weather) the match? I know many eagles supporters who weren't. What in my comments about the game were not accurate? Godden coached well, he has changed his game-plan from last year and it looks great. We had some great players as well as some passengers. Get over it FFS and stop being so precious!!!

Ferret was there sitting just up from me.
I wouldn't question whether ferret attends from my knowledge he attends training every week as well
PB
Hardbody Bream 38cm
Hardbody Mulloway 40cm
Softplastic Bream 38cm
Fly Bream 30cm
Mickyj
Coach

Postby Mr Fuller » Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:30 pm

Mickyj wrote:
Mr Fuller wrote:Disappointing that you take offence to observations Ferret. I comment on all the good performances and bad performances on most games but it appears you have no stomach to read the latter even when it is absolutely warranted. I do watch most game Ferret. How about yourself? Were you actually dedicated enough to make an effort to take the drive to Elizabeth on the weekend to watch (in potentially poor weather) the match? I know many eagles supporters who weren't. What in my comments about the game were not accurate? Godden coached well, he has changed his game-plan from last year and it looks great. We had some great players as well as some passengers. Get over it FFS and stop being so precious!!!

Ferret was there sitting just up from me.
I wouldn't question whether ferret attends from my knowledge he attends training every week as well

Excellent then. We need more supporters like him who are willing to attend. However he (and Premiers) need to avoid being so one-eyed that they aren't able objectively critique performances. I'd much rather read an accurate summary of a match and player performances (good and bad) then the censored version that they appear to prefer.
Mr Fuller
Reserves

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL