Southern Football League

A forum dedicated to the Southern Football League!

Re: Southern Football League

Postby heater31 » Fri May 01, 2015 4:16 pm

Look Good In Leather wrote:
Super Fred wrote:
Luke15 wrote:
heater31 wrote:[quote="reppoh_eht"]
What has Life Membership got to do with the points system?

Father/Son rule for the SACFL I think......

So apparently the rules state that if your father is a life member of a footy club then the son is a 0 point player. On the weekend "allegedly" The Shoes made their new Ruckman Mulroney's dad a life member because of his service in the Army. The guy has never ever been involved with Noarlunga footy club. Now technically Mulroney is a 0 point player. So technically Noarlunga are doing nothing wrong but Morally and Ethically there is a whole heap wrong with this. Main 2 would be de-valuing and spitting in the face of their worthy life members and secondly making a mockery of the already questionable points system.

People will always exploit loopholes in rules and regulations to suit.
Never heard of instant qualification of life membership for service in the forces at any sporting club I have been a part of.
Perhaps a quick change to rules surrounding eligibility was had by the football committee if true.
Don't agree with it if that was the case,and I am sure some living life members would not be too pleased either.

It is up to clubs what reasons they present life membership for.

Again, another case of the SACFL implementing rules without really considering the consequences or loopholes.

Noarlunga not the only club to do it, last year I think it was that Goolwa gave Russell Ebert life membership for "Services to Football" so that son Brett could be recruited as a zero pointer. The ridiculous restraint that is the points system will create situations like this so that clubs can pick their best available players, not just the best combination that can fit under the points cap.[/quote]
I wonder if any of these awards are awarded as per the constitution?
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1263 times

Postby afc9798 » Fri May 01, 2015 4:59 pm

Noarlunga not the only club to do it, last year I think it was that Goolwa gave Russell Ebert life membership for "Services to Football" so that son Brett could be recruited as a zero pointer. The ridiculous restraint that is the points system will create situations like this so that clubs can pick their best available players, not just the best combination that can fit under the points cap.[/quote]

If that's correct, then I think a lot less of Russell Ebert than I did previously. If there's no significant or demonstrable link between a life member and that club, then it really cheapens the whole idea of it. I couldn't imagine Russell accepting this, unless of course he's not even aware that he's now a life member!!

I guess it comes down to each clubs own conscience as to how this occurs, but if I was on the committee of a club, I certainly would vote against it and actively encourage others to as well.
afc9798
Reserves

Has liked: 25 times
Been liked: 47 times
Grassroots Team: Happy Valley

Postby sweendog » Fri May 01, 2015 5:16 pm

The CBFC would like to thank there latest life member ANGELO FEVOLA for all of his hard work and tireless hours his put into his beloved saints..hes even more proud his son Brenden will be having a run this week all for the love of his proud club his been apart of for 2 weeks..the $$$hoes will go to any lengths for a flag and while doing that makes this league a bigger joke as it already is....
oh when the saints go marching in
sweendog
Rookie

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 12 times
Grassroots Team: Christies Beach

Postby tigerpie » Fri May 01, 2015 5:34 pm

Apparently the shoes changed their constitution to allow it. Pretty poor reflection on the club in my opinion.
tigerpie
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 501 times
Been liked: 431 times

Postby afc9798 » Fri May 01, 2015 5:36 pm

tigerpie wrote:Apperently the shoes changed their constitution to allow it. Pretty poor reflection on the club in my opinion.

Is this actually confirmed or just rumour. If it's fact, that's embarrassing.
afc9798
Reserves

Has liked: 25 times
Been liked: 47 times
Grassroots Team: Happy Valley

Postby tigerpie » Fri May 01, 2015 5:38 pm

afc9798 wrote:
tigerpie wrote:Apperently the shoes changed their constitution to allow it. Pretty poor reflection on the club in my opinion.

Is this actually confirmed or just rumour. If it's fact, that's embarrassing.

Fact.....and the deafening silence from shoe boy may confirm it?
tigerpie
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 501 times
Been liked: 431 times

Postby sweendog » Fri May 01, 2015 5:42 pm

$$hoe boy is currently doing the gardening atm.. :weedman: :weedman: :weedman:
oh when the saints go marching in
sweendog
Rookie

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 12 times

Postby Look Good In Leather » Fri May 01, 2015 6:00 pm

afc9798 wrote:If that's correct, then I think a lot less of Russell Ebert than I did previously. If there's no significant or demonstrable link between a life member and that club, then it really cheapens the whole idea of it. I couldn't imagine Russell accepting this, unless of course he's not even aware that he's now a life member!!

I guess it comes down to each clubs own conscience as to how this occurs, but if I was on the committee of a club, I certainly would vote against it and actively encourage others to as well.

The situation has been created by the poorly justified points system which unnaturally restricts clubs ability to recruit. As a result it encourages clubs to unnaturally modify their own rules to cater for it.

It could be argued it is less ethical to leave out a deserving player in favour of an undeserving/lesser player just to fit under a points cap, than it is to present an undeserving person with a particular award or honour. If this is true about Noarlunga, they have modified a "ceremonial" club rule (i.e. Criteria for Life Membership) rather than modifying an "operational" club rule (i.e. Selection Policy).

As most will know, I am not a fan of the APPS. Anything that exposes the farce it is, can be helpful.

I noticed someone suggesting that existing Life Members at Noarlunga would be unhappy, I am sure that unhappiness will quickly dissipate if it results in them winning a premiership. Club > Individual.
Look Good In Leather
League - Best 21

Has liked: 150 times
Been liked: 284 times

Postby Peter Griffen » Fri May 01, 2015 7:00 pm

Ridiculous! It's country footy!
Peter Griffen
Under 16s

Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 15 times
Grassroots Team: Barmera-Monash

Postby Look Good In Leather » Fri May 01, 2015 8:45 pm

Peter Griffen wrote:Ridiculous! It's country footy!

I agree, hence why players who move into the area should be able to play for a local club and not have to be turned away or left out of the team in order to balance up points.
Look Good In Leather
League - Best 21

Postby Oldman Munga » Fri May 01, 2015 9:59 pm

Heard talk of this last night , I'm speechless ,dumbfounded and disappointed , personally I would rather win the spoon than resort to this
Oldman Munga
Rookie

Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 13 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby Look Good In Leather » Fri May 01, 2015 10:12 pm

Oldman Munga wrote:Heard talk of this last night , I'm speechless ,dumbfounded and disappointed , personally I would rather win the spoon than resort to this

Understand the sentiment, but without bending the rules I am not sure how you are going to keep recruiting Tiwi Island boys, unless they are coming to play B-Grade.
Look Good In Leather
League - Best 21

Postby Oldman Munga » Fri May 01, 2015 10:41 pm

Oldman Munga wrote:Heard talk of this last night , I'm speechless ,dumbfounded and disappointed , personally I would rather win the spoon than resort to this

Understand the sentiment, but without bending the rules I am not sure how you are going to keep recruiting Tiwi Island boys, unless they are coming to play B-Grade.

Nothing to do with Tiwi lads we only have Moreen (1pt) , think it's more about the imbalance should Johncock (2) and Betts (3) both be called up to Crows SANFL duties ,having 3 of our players on the Crows top up list creates all sorts of scenarios week to week ,
Regardless Of the reasoning I'm against this course of action
Seriously just f**k the whole points system off , it's a load of crap , the game survived 125 yrs without it , clubs can't attract quality players to the comp because of it ,sponsors and members deserve better for their money ,
Wouldn't it be nice if the Redcoats had the lollies to tell the CFL to shove the points and let the clubs get on with it
:butthead:
Oh well it is what it is and we have to get on with it ](*,) ](*,) :weedman:
Oldman Munga
Rookie

Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 13 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby Numbers » Fri May 01, 2015 10:56 pm

Can anyone confirm 100% if this is true?

If true, there would be REAL Life Members turning in their graves that the club they built is being given away.

Also, if true I am sure the league could step in & take away points & premiership points for brining the game into disrepute?

It is choices like these that can destroy football clubs! Then again, Trevor couldn't give a shit about the club, just his personal win loss ratio!
Numbers
Rookie

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 3 times

Postby Look Good In Leather » Fri May 01, 2015 11:39 pm

Oldman Munga wrote:

Nothing to do with Tiwi lads we only have Moreen (1pt) , think it's more about the imbalance should Johncock (2) and Betts (3) both be called up to Crows SANFL duties ,having 3 of our players on the Crows top up list creates all sorts of scenarios week to week ,
Seriously just f**k the whole points system off , it's a load of crap , the game survived 125 yrs without it , clubs can't attract quality players to the comp because of it ,sponsors and members deserve better for their money ,
Wouldn't it be nice if the Redcoats had the lollies to tell the CFL to shove the points and let the clubs get on with it

If Johncock & Betts get called up, that saves 5 points that would be used up by them. Losing Mott would be more damaging as he is a 0 pointer.
Look Good In Leather
League - Best 21

Postby Dazza44 » Sat May 02, 2015 12:25 am

Oldman Munga wrote:

.... and speaking of Tiwi lads coming to play B Grade, I see that Lindsay Moreen is named in the B Grade for the shoes tomorrow :)
Dazza44
Rookie

Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 9 times
Grassroots Team: Flagstaff Hill

Postby Look Good In Leather » Sat May 02, 2015 3:49 pm

How did the SFL's most infamous B-Grader go today for Hackham? Did he pay for the security guard?
Look Good In Leather
League - Best 21

Postby Peter Griffen » Sat May 02, 2015 6:12 pm

Reynella by 21 goals over Happy Valley :shock:
Peter Griffen
Under 16s

Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 15 times
Grassroots Team: Barmera-Monash

Postby spot on » Sat May 02, 2015 6:23 pm

Emus 34 - 16 defeated Aldinga 3 - 5. Emus kicked 24 goals in the second half.
spot on
Under 18s

Has liked: 44 times
Been liked: 9 times
Grassroots Team: Casterton

Postby pantherman » Sat May 02, 2015 7:00 pm

Numbers wrote:Can anyone confirm 100% if this is true?

If true, there would be REAL Life Members turning in their graves that the club they built is being given away.

Also, if true I am sure the league could step in & take away points & premiership points for brining the game into disrepute?

It is choices like these that can destroy football clubs! Then again, Trevor couldn't give a shit about the club, just his personal win loss ratio!

Find it a long shot that a coach would have any say in this type of decision Numbers. Also a stretch to suggest that a coach that has coached at a club for 7 or 8 years and won 2 flags wouldn't care about a club.

Suggest you drop that long harboured grudge you seem to have against everything NFC ,even though it is at times quite laughable.
pantherman

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 7 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  SFL