Rnd 5 - Port v Eagles @ Alberton (Sat 2/5)

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Rnd 5 - Port v Eagles @ Alberton (Sat 2/5)

Postby Big Phil » Wed Apr 29, 2015 8:53 am

The Magpies would have been disappointed with their second half against Norwood last week and will be looking to bounce back while the Eagles broke their 4000+ days record out at The Ponderosa, belting the Dogs...

This is probably game of the round, for mine, between the two western suburbs rivals...

Saturday, May 2nd @ Alberton Oval, Alberton

Reserves @ 11:25am

League @ 2:10pm

Broadcast - 107.9 LifeFM from 1:30pm
Big Phil
Coach

Has liked: 120 times
Been liked: 271 times

Re: Rnd 5 - Port v Eagles @ Alberton (Sat 2/5)

Postby Mickyj » Wed Apr 29, 2015 1:26 pm

Can another hoodoo be broken Eagles to finally beat an AFL team
Land based Lure Bream Fisherman
PB
Hardbody Bream 38cm
Hardbody Mulloway 40cm
Softplastic Bream 38cm
Fly Bream 30cm
Mickyj
Coach

Has liked: 154 times
Been liked: 22 times

Postby SANFLnut » Wed Apr 29, 2015 4:01 pm

Eagles going well but I fear significant contributions from Redden and Stewart on the wrong team will see Port get home by 4-5 goals.
SANFLnut
Reserves

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 65 times
Grassroots Team: Happy Valley

Postby johntheclaret » Wed Apr 29, 2015 4:31 pm

SANFLnut wrote:Eagles going well but I fear significant contributions from Redden and Stewart on the wrong team will see Port get home by 4-5 goals.

Will Stewart be playing?
johntheclaret
Coach

Has liked: 409 times
Been liked: 580 times

Postby johntheclaret » Wed Apr 29, 2015 4:36 pm

Unpredictable so I'm predicting Port Adelaide Reserves or WWT will win this in a close one that could be by 10 goals.
johntheclaret
Coach

Has liked: 409 times
Been liked: 580 times

Postby wild dog » Fri May 01, 2015 12:23 pm

LefevreWoodvilleWestTorrensParalowie by 24 pts.
wild dog
Under 18s

Has liked: 56 times
Been liked: 180 times
Grassroots Team: Smithfield

Postby Mickyj » Fri May 01, 2015 1:27 pm

wild dog wrote:LefevreWoodvilleWestTorrensParalowie by 24 pts.

Tounge in cheek my Eagle brothers and sisters might be easier to write
"Port natives "
PB
Hardbody Bream 38cm
Hardbody Mulloway 40cm
Softplastic Bream 38cm
Fly Bream 30cm
Mickyj
Coach

Postby matt35 » Sun May 03, 2015 12:11 am

Crowd; 2751.
No Surrender!
matt35
Under 18s

Has liked: 513 times
Been liked: 51 times
Grassroots Team: Boston

Postby Mickyj » Sun May 03, 2015 7:02 am

matt35 wrote:Crowd; 2751.

And the "Port" people went very quiet after half time :)

Any reports on Reddens injury
PB
Hardbody Bream 38cm
Hardbody Mulloway 40cm
Softplastic Bream 38cm
Fly Bream 30cm
Mickyj
Coach

Postby ferret » Sun May 03, 2015 9:31 am

A great team game by the Eagles yesterday. No really outstanding individuals. A team effort where every player did their bit and followed the game plan. The first half was a war of attrition to see who would crack first, the Eagles appeared to be wilting ten minutes from half time and a couple of goals to the power reserves seemed to give them a lift which should have given them the confidence to kill off the Eagles in the second half, along with their supposed superior AFL fitness. A positive attitude from the Eagles after half time and the willingness to a chance proved decisive.
When the power fell behind their lack of guts to take chances made it easy for the Eagles to close out the game.
Although the stats suggest that maybe the power were the better team the more direct play and the chance taking made it all obvious to those watching that the Eagles deserved to win.
The Eagles have now beaten the two grand finalists from last year.
Was the poor performance against West Adelaide the waking up call they needed.
It appears some intensive work in the off season on a completely different game plan, bridge mending, regaining the players confidence in him and giving a few local former juniors a chance is paying off handsomely for Godden.
ferret
Reserves

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 137 times

Postby wedgetail » Sun May 03, 2015 10:33 pm

Agree Ferret. With von Bertouch, Allmond and Thurlow not in the league team, there is pressure at the selection table.
I thought Rowntree played his best game since his knee op, Raymond looked more like his old self with his attack on the ball, Petrenko was fearless and tackled hard and Ainger was constructive. Power reserves didn't seem to have a plan B when the Eags took the game to them in the second half. You are not going to win games by chipping the ball around in your back half when 2-3 goals down.
Luck is where opportunity meets preparation
wedgetail
Under 18s

Has liked: 245 times
Been liked: 83 times

Postby ferret » Mon May 04, 2015 10:13 am

What is the use of the powers reserve reserve team or commonly upgraded to be called the academy.
From what I saw on Saturday there was very little talent and surely none likely to be drafted from this team. At the end their fitness level looked appalling or was this just the lack of talent. Let the players go to other SANFL clubs where they would most likely get better coaching and get into a better fitness regime.
According to Eagle sources, there were at least 7-8 players playing in the reserves reserve that were zoned to and should be playing with the Eagles either at U18 or reserves level. If the players are not up to U18 or reserves level at least let the Eagles have a look at them first.
Is the redistribution of the SANFL league zones on an equal playing field when players in the Eagles zone can play for the powers reserve reserve team?
ferret
Reserves

Postby Gozu » Mon May 04, 2015 4:25 pm

matt35 wrote:Crowd; 2751.

2,571 ;)
"The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment" – Warren Bennis
Gozu
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 660 times

Postby Mr Fuller » Mon May 04, 2015 6:54 pm

Thought the game was pretty ugly early with both side applying pressure and causing the other to make terrible mistakes. In the second quarter Port began to kick away and it felt like there was a chance we would meekly surrender.

To the team's credit they showed they were up for a fight and slowly willed themselves back into the game with some creative play and willing to take the game on. Importantly, they still retained the discipline, accountability and structure which forced Port to continue to play the chipping, stop-start game that we saw particularly in the first quarter.

Early on I felt we were getting smashed in the rucks with Redden getting his hand to most ball and giving his onballers first use. His absence later in the game was telling and Bornholm was finally able to dictate the play. FWIW I still think Bornhom is a little small for a ruckman and gets monstered against these giants. So it will be really important to get Thurlow back.

Usual suspects all played well, in particular Goldsworthy, Boyd and Petrenko I thought. Not really sure why Jarrad had such a quiet game. Lewis looks unfit and slow but obviously missed early in the season with injury. Assume him to get better.

Now we have beaten the grand finalists and our next challenge will be to make sure we keep these high standards and ensure we don't drop our guard to the less fancied teams.
Mr Fuller
Reserves

Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 123 times

Postby ferret » Mon May 04, 2015 7:12 pm

Another inspiring report by Mr Fuller. Typical.
ferret
Reserves

Postby Mr Fuller » Mon May 04, 2015 7:32 pm

ferret wrote:Another inspiring report by Mr Fuller. Typical.

Sorry Ferret. I forget how delicate you are. Will try in future to use 'sublime' rather than 'good' to describe the performance of the team given how upsetting it is for you.
Mr Fuller
Reserves

Postby Mickyj » Mon May 04, 2015 8:10 pm

Mr Fuller wrote:Thought the game was pretty ugly early with both side applying pressure and causing the other to make terrible mistakes. In the second quarter Port began to kick away and it felt like there was a chance we would meekly surrender.

To the team's credit they showed they were up for a fight and slowly willed themselves back into the game with some creative play and willing to take the game on. Importantly, they still retained the discipline, accountability and structure which forced Port to continue to play the chipping, stop-start game that we saw particularly in the first quarter.

Early on I felt we were getting smashed in the rucks with Redden getting his hand to most ball and giving his onballers first use. His absence later in the game was telling and Bornholm was finally able to dictate the play. FWIW I still think Bornhom is a little small for a ruckman and gets monstered against these giants. So it will be really important to get Thurlow back.

Usual suspects all played well, in particular Goldsworthy, Boyd and Petrenko I thought. Not really sure why Jarrad had such a quiet game. Lewis looks unfit and slow but obviously missed early in the season with injury. Assume him to get better.

Now we have beaten the grand finalists and our next challenge will be to make sure we keep these high standards and ensure we don't drop our guard to the less fancied teams.

Funny its been reported elsewhere how Bomber beat the port ruckmen .
He certainly did from where i was sitting , In fact many eagles fans could be heard saying Redden didnt play that bad when he was an Eagle.
Redden was only gone from part way through the last quarter .
Lewis looked better against the dogs .
Hayes who you didnt mention was praised by the Eagles coaches for a much improved game once moved forward .

Just as an Eagles member and fan how about a bit more happiness when the Eagles win .
Really tiring reading negative stuff by Eagles fans when they win . then again most of the doomsayers have gone missing since the eagles have won 3 in a row and are Equal top with the best percentage !!
PB
Hardbody Bream 38cm
Hardbody Mulloway 40cm
Softplastic Bream 38cm
Fly Bream 30cm
Mickyj
Coach

Postby Mickyj » Mon May 04, 2015 8:13 pm

ferret wrote:What is the use of the powers reserve reserve team or commonly upgraded to be called the academy.
From what I saw on Saturday there was very little talent and surely none likely to be drafted from this team. At the end their fitness level looked appalling or was this just the lack of talent. Let the players go to other SANFL clubs where they would most likely get better coaching and get into a better fitness regime.
According to Eagle sources, there were at least 7-8 players playing in the reserves reserve that were zoned to and should be playing with the Eagles either at U18 or reserves level. If the players are not up to U18 or reserves level at least let the Eagles have a look at them first.
Is the redistribution of the SANFL league zones on an equal playing field when players in the Eagles zone can play for the powers reserve reserve team?

Its a disgrace why take the Eagles area away give them ports area and then take players away .

Smells like doing everything for Port and stuff the rest
PB
Hardbody Bream 38cm
Hardbody Mulloway 40cm
Softplastic Bream 38cm
Fly Bream 30cm
Mickyj
Coach

Postby Mr Fuller » Mon May 04, 2015 10:32 pm

Mickyj wrote:
Mr Fuller wrote:Thought the game was pretty ugly early with both side applying pressure and causing the other to make terrible mistakes. In the second quarter Port began to kick away and it felt like there was a chance we would meekly surrender.

Funny its been reported elsewhere how Bomber beat the port ruckmen .
He certainly did from where i was sitting , In fact many eagles fans could be heard saying Redden didnt play that bad when he was an Eagle.
Redden was only gone from part way through the last quarter .
Lewis looked better against the dogs .
Hayes who you didnt mention was praised by the Eagles coaches for a much improved game once moved forward .

Just as an Eagles member and fan how about a bit more happiness when the Eagles win .
Really tiring reading negative stuff by Eagles fans when they win . then again most of the doomsayers have gone missing since the eagles have won 3 in a row and are Equal top with the best percentage !!

I think Redden had the better of him at centre bounces - I was referring to his tap work.

Reckon Bombers great strength is his around the ground play. Probably the complete opposite of Redden. I reckon he'd go alright as a key forward because he can take a decent pack mark and is reasonable kick for goal. I could see him resting in a forward pocket at times when he interchanges with Thurlow.
Mr Fuller
Reserves

Postby Aerie » Mon May 04, 2015 10:59 pm

Let's hope that enough teams beat Port and Crows reserves throughout the minor round so we can at least have a genuine finals series.

A terrific few weeks for the Eagles. We all know nothing will be proven until they can win a final, but good that they are putting their best foot forward to get there again.
Aerie
Coach

Has liked: 147 times
Been liked: 504 times

Next

Board index   Football  SANFL