The 2015 Attendance Comparisons Thread

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: The 2015 Attendance Comparisons Thread

Postby Pseudo » Tue May 05, 2015 7:39 pm

Too obvious? :D
Clowns OUT. Smears OUT. RESIST THE OCCUPATION.
Pseudo
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 1557 times
Grassroots Team: Marion

Postby sjt » Tue May 05, 2015 9:14 pm

JK wrote:Spelly, would you happen to have average attendance figures for Port H&A games over say the last 5 years, up til now?

In 2013 Keith Thomas was interviewed in an Advertiser article re the value of the Magpies in the lead up to the reserves decision. He stated
"the magpies have ranked in the top three for attendances since 2005"-Adelaide now Keith thomas article.

The truth at the time was;

2006-4th, 07-5th, 08-4th, 09-5th, 10-5th,11-4th and 2012 3rd. One in seven truthful, very misleading and incompetence in presenting the right numbers.
Last edited by sjt on Tue May 05, 2015 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sjt
League - Best 21

Has liked: 118 times
Been liked: 59 times

Postby LPH » Tue May 05, 2015 9:28 pm

Booney wrote:
JK wrote:Spelly, would you happen to have average attendance figures for Port H&A games over say the last 5 years, up til now?

I'm going to hasten a guess it has not dropped as much as the over all attendances have. Purely a guess.

At the risk of ridicule & whilst it is true that I am no English Teacher, isn't the term "... hazard a guess"?
Unless of course you are making a 'quick' guess, perhaps?
Stephen Trigg & Rob Chapman are SA Football Patriots
LPH
League - Best 21

Has liked: 541 times
Been liked: 326 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

Postby Aerie » Tue May 05, 2015 10:18 pm

LPH wrote:
Booney wrote:

I'm going to hasten a guess it has not dropped as much as the over all attendances have. Purely a guess.

At the risk of ridicule & whilst it is true that I am no English Teacher, isn't the term "... hazard a guess"?

Hasten a guess is a good term to use to describe the decision to admit Reserves sides into the comp.
Aerie
Coach

Has liked: 147 times
Been liked: 504 times

Postby Panther Pack » Tue May 05, 2015 10:25 pm

If the SANFL want to increase crowds then this is what they need to do:

Advertise the league more, seems like this has really dropped off so the casual fan would have no idea when games are on

Drop admission price to $10 its a more rounded figure and provides a point of difference to the AFL, also advertise that its only $10

SANFL clubs need to start doing more promotional deals with amateur clubs maybe handing out buy 1 get 1 free tickets at clubs presentations

No more silly concepts like split rounds all teams play every week and if a week off is required all teams have the week off

Why can't Friday Night footy be played every week? The AFL markets there whole round around it but given they barely play friday nights in Adelaide the SANFL should just onto that timeslot and really pump it and rotate it around the grounds
Panther Pack
Reserves

Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 139 times

Postby PatowalongaPirate » Tue May 05, 2015 10:35 pm

The problem with dropping the admission price is that clubs would then have to slash their membership prices.
safooty Melbourne Cup Day Tipping Champion 2018 & 2019 #Back2Back
2018 safooty NFL Tipping Champion
PatowalongaPirate
2022 SA Footy Punter of the Year

Has liked: 446 times
Been liked: 1209 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby spell_check » Tue May 05, 2015 10:38 pm

Panther Pack wrote:No more silly concepts like split rounds all teams play every week and if a week off is required all teams have the week ofs

Whenever the talk of admitting a tenth team to the competition from as far back as the late 90s eg. suggestions like Northern Territory, Port Melbourne, Tasmania, Woodville Crows, Subiaco etc, I couldn't help but think but rather than keeping it at 20 rounds, it would always go to 18 rounds because it's 'fair'. The result of having 5 weeks less matches is the season has to be padded out,
spell_check
Coach

Has liked: 45 times
Been liked: 178 times

Postby johntheclaret » Wed May 06, 2015 6:37 am

spell_check wrote:
Panther Pack wrote:No more silly concepts like split rounds all teams play every week and if a week off is required all teams have the week ofs

Whenever the talk of admitting a tenth team to the competition from as far back as the late 90s eg. suggestions like Northern Territory, Port Melbourne, Tasmania, Woodville Crows, Subiaco etc, I couldn't help but think but rather than keeping it at 20 rounds, it would always go to 18 rounds because it's 'fair'. The result of having 5 weeks less matches is the season has to be padded out,

Easy. Make 8 and play 3 times ;)
johntheclaret
Coach

Has liked: 409 times
Been liked: 580 times

Postby johntheclaret » Wed May 06, 2015 6:42 am

Panther Pack wrote:If the SANFL want to increase crowds then this is what they need to do:

Advertise the league more, seems like this has really dropped off so the casual fan would have no idea when games are on

Drop admission price to $10 its a more rounded figure and provides a point of difference to the AFL, also advertise that its only $10

SANFL clubs need to start doing more promotional deals with amateur clubs maybe handing out buy 1 get 1 free tickets at clubs presentations

No more silly concepts like split rounds all teams play every week and if a week off is required all teams have the week off

Why can't Friday Night footy be played every week? The AFL markets there whole round around it but given they barely play friday nights in Adelaide the SANFL should just onto that timeslot and really pump it and rotate it around the grounds

^^^^^ This
It's about the SANFL promoting it's league. And the SANFL clubs jumping on the marketing bandwagon.
Do something to attract new fans and draw back the old fans.
johntheclaret
Coach

Has liked: 409 times
Been liked: 580 times

Postby cennals05 » Wed May 06, 2015 8:42 am

johntheclaret wrote:
Panther Pack wrote:If the SANFL want to increase crowds then this is what they need to do:

^^^^^ This
It's about the SANFL promoting it's league. And the SANFL clubs jumping on the marketing bandwagon.

The SANFL didn't want to pay $6000 to have the SANFL show on FIVEaa this year, so it doesn't look like they want to do much in the way of advertising.
cennals05
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 146 times
Been liked: 248 times

Postby shoe boy » Wed May 06, 2015 9:18 am

The W/Adelaide game v Central looked like 50 people attended from watching the telecast .
shoe boy
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 488 times
Been liked: 209 times

Postby Booney » Wed May 06, 2015 9:52 am

LPH wrote:
Booney wrote:

Ridicule,why would anyone ridicule you?

:lol: :lol: :lol:
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7481 times
Been liked: 10770 times

Postby ferret » Wed May 06, 2015 10:30 am

One of the annoying features of the nine team league competition was the skewing of the premiership table with teams not having played the same number of matches. Going on the premiership position it was difficult to get a reasonable idea of true positions as people were unsure if the teams who had played less games were still to play their extra game against a stronger or weaker teams.
Now the bye has been eliminated from the fixture, the SANFL has still managed to stuff this up by starting with a split round one, but not completing this round until round 14 (July 18). I don't mind a split round over consecutive weeks but this is ridiculous.
Keep it simple SANFL and more people might get interested in the SANFL.
ferret
Reserves

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 137 times

Postby wild dog » Wed May 06, 2015 10:45 am

cennals05 wrote:
johntheclaret wrote:^^^^^ This

The SANFL didn't want to pay $6000 to have the SANFL show on FIVEaa this year, so it doesn't look like they want to do much in the way of advertising.

It used to be marketed as an alternative to the AFL. Now it is part of it. Rusted on supporters are dropping off, a few AFL lovers have been picked up. Id rather they save marketing dollars and subsidising AA under the current model, and find a way to get back to an AFL alternative. Then market it.
Centrals were blamed for years for the dropping off of the crowds. Now we have Norwood and Port back up the top, with Sturt not doing too badly. Theoretically crowds should be up. Not only are the crowds so far this year severely reduced, there is bugger all atmosphere.
wild dog
Under 18s

Has liked: 56 times
Been liked: 180 times
Grassroots Team: Smithfield

Postby JK » Wed May 06, 2015 10:50 am

Well said Wild Dog .. The atmosphere reeks of a social gathering. There's always been an aspect of that, but punters would still follow the game and be vocal about it. Not from what ive seen this year so far.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4457 times
Been liked: 2986 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Wed May 06, 2015 10:51 am

You are forgetting that the biggest bandwagon in the SANFL is currently empty as they are on the bottom of the table and have only got a point due to lights going out at home!
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11834 times
Been liked: 3593 times

Postby Dogwatcher » Wed May 06, 2015 11:59 am

LPH wrote:
Booney wrote:

Pretty certain Booney was making a quick guess, as he was very fast to respond to that post.
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby Arch44 » Wed May 06, 2015 2:00 pm

I think the style of football is affecting the crowd numbers. The full oval press going both ways is very frustrating to watch! I left Richmond Oval Sunday more annoyed with the standard of footy than Centrals actually losing. My 1st game in 2 years and it might be another 2 years before I go back.
Hogg Shield Div IV 2018 Winner
Arch44
League - Top 5

Has liked: 717 times
Been liked: 272 times

Postby Arch44 » Wed May 06, 2015 2:02 pm

shoe boy wrote:The W/Adelaide game v Central looked like 50 people attended from watching the telecast .

Felt like it too
Hogg Shield Div IV 2018 Winner
Arch44
League - Top 5

Has liked: 717 times
Been liked: 272 times

Postby Dogwatcher » Wed May 06, 2015 2:09 pm

Arch44 wrote:I think the style of football is affecting the crowd numbers. The full oval press going both ways is very frustrating to watch! I left Richmond Oval Sunday more annoyed with the standard of footy than Centrals actually losing. My 1st game in 2 years and it might be another 2 years before I go back.

Had that exact convo with someone this morning.
Most sides don't have the skill to play that properly, meaning the standard of some games is awful.
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL