Port's use of runner/physio v Sturt to be investigated

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Port's use of runner/physio v Sturt to be investigated

Postby norwood8 » Tue May 12, 2015 6:47 pm

If true, would seriously hope they are fined heavily.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/afl/port-adelaides-use-of-runner-and-physio-in-sanfl-match-to-be-investigated/story-fnii05e5-1227352137222

HAS the Port Adelaide Football Club been crossing the boundaries when it comes to using its runner and physiotherapist at SANFL games?

The Advertiser has obtained footage from a spectator at the Sturt v Port game and it shows

Magpies runner Eugene Warrior in yellow and physiotherapist Michael Wilson in the black on the ground for an extended period.
The SANFL has opened an investigation following a complaint from the Sturt Football Club after the game at Alberton on Saturday.

It is believed the Double Blues were unhappy with the amount of time Warrior and Wilson, the former Power star, spent on the ground.

VOTE: Have your say below now

Each year the clubs are reminded of the obligations of runners to deliver their message to the players and immediately leave the ground. Medical staff can only enter the arena to treat an injured player.
norwood8
Under 18s

Has liked: 85 times
Been liked: 95 times
Grassroots Team: OSB Lonsdale

Re: Port's use of runner/physio v Sturt to be investigated

Postby spell_check » Tue May 12, 2015 10:41 pm

Sorry to go off topic, but I might be going crazy in saying that this is the only thread/post on this particular match!

Anyway, what penalties do the AFL hand out if it was in an AFL match?

And another off topic thing, but while I'm on a roll, a match at Alberton involving Sturt has only had one lower attendance. The estimated 2,000 which was at the Round 9 1915 match
spell_check
Coach

Has liked: 45 times
Been liked: 178 times

Postby therisingblues » Wed May 13, 2015 12:07 am

Port seems to have a history of nuisance staff on the field during games. Didn't that arnfield bloke use to get in trouble often back in the day?
While on the topic of the crowd at Alberton, it sounded on the radio like there was a heap more Sturt supporters there, I mentioned that on the scores thread but someone who was actually at the game countered the comment. Perhaps just a fluke placement of the affects mike? Anyone at the game who could give an indication?
I'm gonna sit back, crack the top off a Pale Ale, and watch the Double Blues prevail
1915, 1919, 1926, 1932, 1940, 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1974, 1976, 2002, 2016, 2017
therisingblues
Coach

Has liked: 369 times
Been liked: 514 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby southee » Wed May 13, 2015 12:13 am

...and this is news ?? Port have been doing stuff like this for years!!

Serial pest Armfield comes to mind!
Is out of change.....thanks Cambridge Clarrie!!!
southee
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 858 times
Been liked: 122 times

Postby heater31 » Wed May 13, 2015 9:23 am

Port will get slapped with a wet fish over this..... :roll:
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1263 times

Postby carey » Wed May 13, 2015 9:31 am

heater31 wrote:Port will get slapped with a wet fish over this..... :roll:

Yeah I guess Warrior and Wilson should be sentenced to 6-8 months behind bars???? Oh and Budda 3 months as an accessory to the major crime.

This is news? pffft give me a break! :roll:

If it was any other club apart from Port or Adelaide there would be no discussion at all.
you've gota keep on keep'n on .........
carey
Coach

Has liked: 2808 times
Been liked: 2996 times
Grassroots Team: Paralowie

Postby Bounce of the ball » Wed May 13, 2015 10:35 am

Its an extra person on the ground who is not allowed. It's quite simple AND YES Hocking should is an accessory as he is the coach ! Far out .

Poor old Port hey . The facts are it was't another club it was Port . I'm sure we will hear a valid reason as to why he was on the ground when shouldn't be.
Bounce of the ball
Reserves

Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 65 times

Postby Rising Power » Wed May 13, 2015 11:56 am

It's the umpires' responsibility to police the presence of officials on the field. FFS there are 7 of them out there, plus the emergency umpire who sits between the two boxes! All it takes is one free kick to be awarded and it will stop, eventually.
Rising Power
Under 16s

Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 44 times
Grassroots Team: Hectorville

Postby wild dog » Wed May 13, 2015 12:07 pm

carey wrote:
heater31 wrote:Port will get slapped with a wet fish over this..... :roll:

Yeah I guess Warrior and Wilson should be sentenced to 6-8 months behind bars???? Oh and Budda 3 months as an accessory to the major crime.

This is news? pffft give me a break! :roll:

If it was any other club apart from Port or Adelaide there would be no discussion at all.

Is it news - yeah for me it is. There is a perception that an AFL reserves team is able to flaunt the rules because they don't really give a stuff about the premiership, they want to develop the guys through increased on field mentorship. One competition, 3 policies. Why not chuck a couple more in.
wild dog
Under 18s

Has liked: 56 times
Been liked: 180 times
Grassroots Team: Smithfield

Postby Ronnie » Wed May 13, 2015 12:09 pm

Rising Power wrote:It's the umpires' responsibility to police the presence of officials on the field. FFS there are 7 of them out there, plus the emergency umpire who sits between the two boxes! All it takes is one free kick to be awarded and it will stop, eventually.

I was thinking that myself, were the umpires asleep? The spare umpire would be in a decent position you would think to cotton on to what they were doing.

Forget about some measly money penalty, sanction them on game day. It will stop soon enough.
Ronnie
Reserves

Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 84 times

Postby tipper » Wed May 13, 2015 12:21 pm

Ronnie wrote:
Rising Power wrote:It's the umpires' responsibility to police the presence of officials on the field. FFS there are 7 of them out there, plus the emergency umpire who sits between the two boxes! All it takes is one free kick to be awarded and it will stop, eventually.

I was thinking that myself, were the umpires asleep? The spare umpire would be in a decent position you would think to cotton on to what they were doing.

Forget about some measly money penalty, sanction them on game day. It will stop soon enough.

i dont know that it will if the penalty is on game day. give away a few free kicks? who cares when the magpies are now all about teaching their players about the structures etc that the afl club wants. they dont care about the wins, its all about the development. however, hit the club that is constantly bleating about not making money with a financial penalty, that is a penalty they will take notice of.......
tipper
League - Top 5

Has liked: 359 times
Been liked: 531 times
Grassroots Team: Peake

Postby Rising Power » Wed May 13, 2015 12:34 pm

tipper wrote:
i dont know that it will if the penalty is on game day. give away a few free kicks? who cares when the magpies are now all about teaching their players about the structures etc that the afl club wants. they dont care about the wins, its all about the development. however, hit the club that is constantly bleating about not making money with a financial penalty, that is a penalty they will take notice of.......

Not if it's a $500 penalty as reported.

If, like you are inferring, Port will have an extra official on the park that is repeatedly giving away free kicks to the opposition: (a) it won't be doing much for player development, other than perhaps defensive set ups, will it? and (b) the official can be reported, (I assume) sent from the field if reported twice and then sanctioned/banned for a number of weeks by the SANFL tribunal. If the umpires just did their job there would be no issue.
Rising Power
Under 16s

Postby tipper » Wed May 13, 2015 12:42 pm

so up the dollar value of the penalty. put an extra zero on the end of that figure, then do the same each time they are caught again. no need to waste peoples time at the tribunal, no need to give one bloke a week or two off just for him to be replaced by someone else doing the same thing the following week, no need for the umpires to be doing anything other than watching the game rather than keeping an eye on an official that shouldnt be on the field anyway. easy fixed :)
tipper
League - Top 5

Has liked: 359 times
Been liked: 531 times
Grassroots Team: Peake

Postby Pseudo » Wed May 13, 2015 1:19 pm

Rising Power wrote: the official can be reported, (I assume) sent from the field if reported twice and then sanctioned/banned for a number of weeks by the SANFL tribunal.

Really? On the rare occasion that a runner has been referred to the SANFL tribunal, the runner has escaped without penalty, due to the tribunal claiming no existing guidelines for dealing with non-players. (IIRC).
Clowns OUT. Smears OUT. RESIST THE OCCUPATION.
Pseudo
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 1557 times
Grassroots Team: Marion

Postby Rising Power » Wed May 13, 2015 1:46 pm

Pseudo wrote:
Rising Power wrote: the official can be reported, (I assume) sent from the field if reported twice and then sanctioned/banned for a number of weeks by the SANFL tribunal.

Really? On the rare occasion that a runner has been referred to the SANFL tribunal, the runner has escaped without penalty, due to the tribunal claiming no existing guidelines for dealing with non-players. (IIRC).

Time to make some guidelines then.
Rising Power
Under 16s

Postby therisingblues » Wed May 13, 2015 1:51 pm

Pseudo wrote:

I missed a lot of recent SANFL history being overseas, but could you give a few examples of clubs doing this? I don't want to be a narrow thinker and ATM I can only think of the one club that has ever done this.
I'm gonna sit back, crack the top off a Pale Ale, and watch the Double Blues prevail
1915, 1919, 1926, 1932, 1940, 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1974, 1976, 2002, 2016, 2017
therisingblues
Coach

Postby Pseudo » Wed May 13, 2015 2:11 pm

therisingblues wrote:
Pseudo wrote: On the rare occasion that a runner has been referred to the SANFL tribunal, the runner has escaped without penalty, due to the tribunal claiming no existing guidelines for dealing with non-players. (IIRC).

I missed a lot of recent SANFL history being overseas, but could you give a few examples of clubs doing this? I don't want to be a narrow thinker and ATM I can only think of the one club that has ever done this.

I could only think of The One Club too. I deliberately worded my comment to play down this aspect.
Clowns OUT. Smears OUT. RESIST THE OCCUPATION.
Pseudo
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 1557 times
Grassroots Team: Marion

Postby Bounce of the ball » Wed May 13, 2015 2:31 pm

Why didn't the emergency umpire do anything about it ?
Bounce of the ball
Reserves

Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 65 times

Postby therisingblues » Wed May 13, 2015 2:32 pm

Pseudo wrote:
therisingblues wrote:
Pseudo wrote: On the rare occasion that a runner has been referred to the SANFL tribunal, the runner has escaped without penalty, due to the tribunal claiming no existing guidelines for dealing with non-players. (IIRC).

I could only think of The One Club too. I deliberately worded my comment to play down this aspect.

Perhaps if any rule change was to result from this issue it could be named after that club? If it turns out they are the only perpetrators. (Why do I feel a need to type some sort of qualifier whenever I mention something which might be perceived as negative about "that club"? It's like a standard "not that there's anything wrong with that" to head off back lash.)
therisingblues
Coach

Postby stan » Wed May 13, 2015 5:42 pm

Typical bloody wharfie scum.
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times