Great Southern Football League

Talk on any country footy league or club from the SA Country area

Re: Great Southern Football League

Postby words of wisdom » Wed May 13, 2015 1:07 pm

BJ Ernest wrote:
The eclipse fan wrote:
fiftympenalty wrote:Jackpot jim
Not trying to deter you I just think its pointless in general to mention injuries as every team has them / players missing for work and other reasons. Injuries on the day are probably a valid point but no use talking about what players could be in the team if it wasn't for injuries from past weeks

I'm with jackpot, I'd rather know if a game was played without a bench! It definitely has an impact on a teams ability to perform on that day!
Or is this more of a deflection of what is really going on?? I've heard on the grapevine there is a couple of senior lads not happy with the fact Mergs won't wipe their bums for them like their previous coach would and It's having an affect on the young guns of the team!! Any thoughts??

Im sure everyone has injury issues, I certainly know Willunga are having more than their fair share of injury problems at the minute. Without naming them there were as many as 10 missing Saturday, and even with the depth at the club this is still a very testing time for the Dees. To get a win on the weekend, despite the creeks being depleted was a great win for the club and hopefully with the return of some important players this weekend hopefully they're able to compete and beat the Bays.
On Murgs. He's been great, the numbers on the track and injured guys on the sidelines at each and every session tells me the players have enjoyed his input and are not having any issues with him whatsoever. I'd worry about your own backyard Eclipse rather than relying on grapevines for your information.

I saw Ben "Bull" Baxter got the call up to the A's a couple of weeks ago BJ - how far away is Beefa? ;)
words of wisdom
League - Best 21

Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 19 times
Grassroots Team: Mt Burr

Postby BJ Ernest » Wed May 13, 2015 1:24 pm

words of wisdom wrote:
BJ Ernest wrote:
The eclipse fan wrote:
fiftympenalty wrote:Jackpot jim
Not trying to deter you I just think its pointless in general to mention injuries as every team has them / players missing for work and other reasons. Injuries on the day are probably a valid point but no use talking about what players could be in the team if it wasn't for injuries from past weeks

I'm with jackpot, I'd rather know if a game was played without a bench! It definitely has an impact on a teams ability to perform on that day!
Or is this more of a deflection of what is really going on?? I've heard on the grapevine there is a couple of senior lads not happy with the fact Mergs won't wipe their bums for them like their previous coach would and It's having an affect on the young guns of the team!! Any thoughts??

Im sure everyone has injury issues, I certainly know Willunga are having more than their fair share of injury problems at the minute. Without naming them there were as many as 10 missing Saturday, and even with the depth at the club this is still a very testing time for the Dees. To get a win on the weekend, despite the creeks being depleted was a great win for the club and hopefully with the return of some important players this weekend hopefully they're able to compete and beat the Bays.
On Murgs. He's been great, the numbers on the track and injured guys on the sidelines at each and every session tells me the players have enjoyed his input and are not having any issues with him whatsoever. I'd worry about your own backyard Eclipse rather than relying on grapevines for your information.

I saw Ben "Bull" Baxter got the call up to the A's a couple of weeks ago BJ - how far away is Beefa? ;)

After the association game WoW. Chum Reed had the boots in the car on the weekend incase of a late withdrawal!
BJ Ernest
League - Best 21

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 4 times
Grassroots Team: Willunga

Postby field of dreams » Fri May 15, 2015 8:05 am

Nice to hear from you BJ! Hope all is going well for you.
What a great comp we have this year. 5 games that could go either way this week.
Mt Comp v VH. 2v1, both undefeated... Dogs favourites at home
Bays v Will. 3v6. I still think the Dees will improve as the year goes on but Bays should win this week.
GPE v Strath. 4v8. Goolwa surprised me with their losses to the top 2 and the cogs are starting to turn at Strath. Tough to pick... Strath.
McLaren v Pongy. 7v5. Who knows... I tossed a coin and it came up muddy!
Yank v Creek. 10v9. Going with yank - long flight for the Hawks!
field of dreams
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 126 times
Been liked: 78 times

Postby shoe boy » Fri May 15, 2015 9:22 am

field of dreams wrote:Nice to hear from you BJ! Hope all is going well for you.
What a great comp we have this year. 5 games that could go either way this week.
Mt Comp v VH. 2v1, both undefeated... Dogs favourites at home
Bays v Will. 3v6. I still think the Dees will improve as the year goes on but Bays should win this week.
GPE v Strath. 4v8. Goolwa surprised me with their losses to the top 2 and the cogs are starting to turn at Strath. Tough to pick... Strath.
McLaren v Pongy. 7v5. Who knows... I tossed a coin and it came up muddy!
Yank v Creek. 10v9. Going with yank - long flight for the Hawks!

FOD
Has the standard of football dropped ?
shoe boy
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 488 times
Been liked: 209 times

Postby field of dreams » Fri May 15, 2015 9:54 am

Good question shoe boy. I've only seen victor play strath, mclaren and creek. ie didn't see Bays or GPE.
Victor have already won as many games as they did last year, and from the games I've seen the improvements are incremental rather than chalkncheese. That shows how even our comp is but maybe adds weight to saying the standard has decreased.
I might think differently after VH v MC this week but at this stage I'd say yes, the icing has gone off the top tier but then the bottom clubs are better making for better, more even contests across the board (although apart from Yank, it was really competitive in 2014 too).
2c each way maybe but thats my thoughts from a small sample size - others might think differently.
field of dreams
League Bench Warmer

Postby dogsrbarkin » Fri May 15, 2015 5:32 pm

[u]ROUND 6[/u
Yank v Creek......Yank to win their 2nd game all the best to thommo..Yank 10pts

Goolwa v Strath..Goolwa still on the hunt another BIG name signs $$$...Goolwa by 12 pts

Bays v Willunga....Bays are still favs 4 the flag, sorry murgs but its all bays by 54 pts

Mclaren v Myponga...can't believe Mclaren's form they are a good side.. Mclaren by 24pts

Compass v Victor....this WILL be a cracker game a late goal will decide it...Dogs by 5 pts

Hoping for a sunny day, good luck to all :D
dogsrbarkin
Rookie

Been liked: 5 times

Postby Off The Wall » Fri May 15, 2015 5:38 pm

Adelaide Football League (SAAFL) GOOLWA/PT ELLIOT FOOTBALL CLUB French, Barnaby Pending 2015-05-12

Would be surely pushing around 40 years old now?
Off The Wall
Under 16s

Has liked: 29 times
Been liked: 22 times

Postby dogsrbarkin » Fri May 15, 2015 6:29 pm

Off The Wall wrote:Adelaide Football League (SAAFL) GOOLWA/PT ELLIOT FOOTBALL CLUB French, Barnaby Pending 2015-05-12

not too sure when was his last game ?
dogsrbarkin
Rookie

Postby dogsrbarkin » Fri May 15, 2015 6:31 pm

field of dreams wrote:Good question shoe boy. I've only seen victor play strath, mclaren and creek. ie didn't see Bays or GPE.
Victor have already won as many games as they did last year, and from the games I've seen the improvements are incremental rather than chalkncheese. That shows how even our comp is but maybe adds weight to saying the standard has decreased.
I might think differently after VH v MC this week but at this stage I'd say yes, the icing has gone off the top tier but then the bottom clubs are better making for better, more even contests across the board (although apart from Yank, it was really competitive in 2014 too).
2c each way maybe but thats my thoughts from a small sample size - others might think differently.

Not sure about that Fod looks like plenty of ex league players cleared in
dogsrbarkin
Rookie

Postby field of dreams » Fri May 15, 2015 9:27 pm

dogsrbarkin wrote:
Not sure about that Fod looks like plenty of ex league players cleared in

Definitely dogs.. I'm sure sides will improve as the year goes on as they gel.
Yet to see anyone play at a level near the quality of cohesive team footy that the creeks/dees/strath put out in past seasons.
field of dreams
League Bench Warmer

Postby The eclipse fan » Fri May 15, 2015 9:44 pm

Yank vs Creek - creek by a few points.
Goolwa vs Strath - the money men (even if its borrowed) 5 goals
Enc vs Willunga - really hope Murgs gets the boys going but think bays by 3 goal
Vale vs Pongy - going pongy as this is about the time of season vales stack the ressies to chase a flag 3 goal
compass vs Victor - to close to pick think it will be a drawer

Question for a newbie!! why doesn't one of the previous grandfinalist coaches, coach the association side?? and who makes this appointment, cos after reading the times (unless they got it wrong) im still dumbfounded
Live Forever
The eclipse fan
Mini-League

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 8 times

Postby The Little Master » Fri May 15, 2015 11:37 pm

Off The Wall wrote:Adelaide Football League (SAAFL) GOOLWA/PT ELLIOT FOOTBALL CLUB French, Barnaby Pending 2015-05-12

Turning 40 this year according to a Google search. correct me if I'm wrong but pretty sure he's lived in Goolwa for years?
The Little Master
Rookie

Been liked: 1 time

Postby field of dreams » Sat May 16, 2015 8:50 am

The eclipse fan wrote:Question for a newbie!! why doesn't one of the previous grandfinalist coaches, coach the association side?? and who makes this appointment, cos after reading the times (unless they got it wrong) im still dumbfounded

Dunno the answer... Who is the coach?
field of dreams
League Bench Warmer

Postby oldbomber » Sat May 16, 2015 8:57 am

Another tough round to pick, going for:
Yank 19pts
goolwa 28pts
bays 30pts
pongy 18pts
mt compass 6 pts at home
oldbomber
Rookie

Has liked: 41 times
Been liked: 33 times

Postby marbles » Sat May 16, 2015 10:42 am

The Little Master wrote:

Turning 40 this year according to a Google search. correct me if I'm wrong but pretty sure he's lived in Goolwa for years?

throw in former henley agrade captain scooter berry to goolwa too this week :D
marbles
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 275 times
Been liked: 258 times

Postby LexLuther » Sat May 16, 2015 11:14 am

Goolwa need all the help they can get, might need to borrow a few more $$ to be competitive with the top teams as we have seen the last 2 weeks
LexLuther
Mini-League

Been liked: 2 times
Grassroots Team: Yankalilla

Postby field of dreams » Sat May 16, 2015 12:31 pm

[emoji15]. How are you travelling for points LF?
field of dreams
League Bench Warmer

Postby Smashed Crab » Sat May 16, 2015 5:21 pm

Compass giving Victor a lesson according to Facebook. 12-6 to 4-4 at 3/4 time. Who would have predicted this from Compass at he start of the year? A and B grade undefeated after 6 rounds. (providing Victor don't kick 9 goals in last 1/4)
Smashed Crab
Rookie

Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 44 times

Postby field of dreams » Sat May 16, 2015 7:43 pm

Football lesson is a good description. Compass very good today, victor very ordinary, one umpire...[emoji16]
field of dreams
League Bench Warmer

Postby LuvsFooty » Sat May 16, 2015 10:05 pm

field of dreams wrote:[emoji15]. How are you travelling for points LF?

With everyone available we are a fair way over but a heap of injuries had kept it in check.
You can love football, but it wont always love you back!
LuvsFooty
League - Best 21

Been liked: 17 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Country Footy