The never ending No AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: The never ending No AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

Postby topsywaldron » Wed May 13, 2015 5:25 pm

mighty_tiger_79 wrote:Just heard a bit on AA

Bickley is still convinced that it is good to have them and when they go all sponsors will as well

I stopped my sponsorship because of the AFL reserves.
'People are not stupid. They know when they are being conned. And two reserves teams operating in a League competition will reduce it to a farce, a competition without a soul.'

Dion Hayman 24th July 2013
topsywaldron
Veteran

Has liked: 21 times
Been liked: 218 times

Postby CENTURION » Wed May 13, 2015 5:40 pm

I can tell you this, at this rate, Centrals won't be here in 5 years.
Member No. 988 & PROUD to sponsor The CDFC!!
CENTURION
Coach

Has liked: 204 times
Been liked: 112 times
Grassroots Team: Salisbury

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Wed May 13, 2015 6:10 pm

CENTURION wrote:I can tell you this, at this rate, Centrals won't be here in 5 years.

They certainly wont be alone
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11807 times
Been liked: 3583 times

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Wed May 13, 2015 6:13 pm

Did anyone listen to it after 4pm?

I wasnt able too
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11807 times
Been liked: 3583 times

Postby StrayDog » Wed May 13, 2015 6:28 pm

CUTTERMAN wrote:To be fair to Rowe he has never been totally for the reserves teams and has said that the old model wasn't broken, he's been quiet in his opposition yes but consistently against it while pleasing his masters also. He's on a good gig, can't really blame him for that too much.

I suppose when we listen to someone speak on important issues at any given time it always pays to read between the dollar signs. More obvious with some speakers than others.
"— here I opened wide the door; —
Darkness there, and nothing more."

- Edgar Allan Poe from " The Raven "

StrayDog
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 1132 times
Been liked: 192 times

Postby spell_check » Wed May 13, 2015 6:38 pm

JK wrote:
Fluffbag wrote:I would love to go back to the 80s and have 3 state leagues and 40,000 people supporting the local teams but it not going to happen as money control sports these days.

Not having a go at you mate, but I hate it when AFL apologists trot out lines thinking SANFL fans believe the glory days can be re-visited, because it's absolute fuggin BS!

Not one single Sanfl fan is under any illusion as to our place in the pecking order, we just want an equal, non-compromised competition. We're more than happy with crowds of 2.5-3k, offset by a few lower and a few blockbusters.

We'll still continue to make AFL players.

What is unreasonable in wanting to be un-interfered with? AFL supporters, the vast majority of whom have zero knowledge and interest when it comes to the Sanfl, continually cast aspersions that just aren't factual to try and support their attitudes of "no other competition in the country matters, we should use them as we see fit"

Gold.

One thing I've noticed (not so much on this site and not other SANFL based forum sites either) is that those who don't give two hoots about the SANFL ( only their AFL club) suddenly become experts on what's good for this competition; which is really only what's good for their AFL club.

Edit: By 'suddenly become experts' was when the Reserves team issue gained legs in 2013
spell_check
Coach

Has liked: 45 times
Been liked: 178 times

Postby StrayDog » Wed May 13, 2015 6:50 pm

Jim05 wrote:
mighty_tiger_79 wrote:I agree, I think its time for the SANFL to re-invent itself.

No more AFL players being distributed throughout the SANFL clubs.

Double Headers would be a great idea, could start the first game at around 3pm and then start the second at around 6 or 6-30 as an example.

This
Let them go to the VFL or ammos, no more AFL players in the comp.
Double headers are fantastic

Yep, play them on a smaller ground (preferably Norwood.) 6k+ crowd, would bring in a few neutrals as well, great atmosphere. Arrange some sort of catering split with any club that is happy to shift a home game. Winners all round.

StrayDog
League Bench Warmer

Postby Killa » Wed May 13, 2015 7:00 pm

SANFL clubs are struggling financially big time. A lot of these issues developed when the AFL decided to reduce financial support to the SANFL regarding not changing their name to 'AFL SA'. Ever since then SANFL clubs have gone missing in their zones, especially reduced school visits. When I was in primary school back in the day, North Adelaide would visit my school at least 5 times a year. The AFL reserves issue is only the tip, problems run much more deeper then AFL teams playing in the SANFL. At the moment the SANFL are not seeing eye-to-eye with the AFL. AFL are annoyed they paid off there dept straight way, which then stop the AFL controlling the SANFL from a far.
Killa
Under 18s

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 5 times
Grassroots Team: South Augusta

Postby southee » Wed May 13, 2015 7:03 pm

CENTURION wrote:I can tell you this, at this rate, Centrals won't be here in 5 years.

Either will South.

The 2 who stood up will probably be first to go. The other clubs should be real proud of themselves !
Is out of change.....thanks Cambridge Clarrie!!!
southee
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 858 times
Been liked: 122 times

Postby LPH » Wed May 13, 2015 7:22 pm

Jim05 wrote:I would pretty much guarantee a significant crowd increase next year if the two were booted out

What HE said!
Stephen Trigg & Rob Chapman are SA Football Patriots
LPH
League - Best 21

Has liked: 541 times
Been liked: 326 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

Postby StrayDog » Wed May 13, 2015 7:31 pm

Killa wrote:SANFL clubs are struggling financially big time. A lot of these issues developed when the AFL decided to reduce financial support to the SANFL regarding not changing their name to 'AFL SA'. Ever since then SANFL clubs have gone missing in their zones, especially reduced school visits. When I was in primary school back in the day, North Adelaide would visit my school at least 5 times a year. The AFL reserves issue is only the tip, problems run much more deeper then AFL teams playing in the SANFL. At the moment the SANFL are not seeing eye-to-eye with the AFL. AFL are annoyed they paid off there dept straight way, which then stop the AFL controlling the SANFL from a far.

Unfortunately, this tip seems, at this time, to be lead weighted.

I don't disagree the clubs have their issues outside of the AFL reserves, some of which they can control, others they can't. All points of issue between the boards and the paying punters.

As of yet, none of these other issues are being pointed at as causing crowds to plummet. Only something which was sited as a significant factor time and time again - not on this forum alone - way before it came to pass.

StrayDog
League Bench Warmer

Postby Wedgie » Wed May 13, 2015 8:13 pm

I know personally that if North played Sturt 3 times, Norwood 3 times, the Bays 3 times, etc, etc our crowds would be massively increased.
I"m not sure its viable to play the 3rd game against each club as a neutral game, ideally it would work but even if it didnt alternating each year would be good.
Crowds, interest and money would be so much better than what it is now.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2023 times
Been liked: 3867 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby The Apostle » Wed May 13, 2015 8:31 pm

topsywaldron wrote:Dion Hayman has just tweeted that he's running a story on tonight's news about the plummeting crowds and one CEO's call to urgently review the involvement of the two AFL clubs. Not sure who it is, hopefully one of the filthy six and not South or the Dogs.

https://twitter.com/dionhayman/status/5 ... 2281251840

CUTTERMAN wrote:Anyone record it?

HERE IT IS!!!:

The Apostle
League - Best 21

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 16 times

Postby Hazydog » Wed May 13, 2015 8:39 pm

A sobering thought, and I understand where you are coming from given the alarming decline in attendances, but don't forget the clubs have $2M coming there way. In the meantime, hopefully a few wins and some nicer weather will help get the crowds back to a more profitable level.
Players win touches, Teams win matches, Clubs win Premierships.
Hazydog
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 116 times
Been liked: 191 times

Postby Big Phil » Wed May 13, 2015 9:20 pm

topsywaldron wrote:
mighty_tiger_79 wrote:Just heard a bit on AA

Bickley is still convinced that it is good to have them and when they go all sponsors will as well

I stopped my sponsorship because of the AFL reserves.

You and your good mate UK Fan have something in common, then :)
Big Phil
Coach

Has liked: 120 times
Been liked: 271 times

Postby Big Phil » Wed May 13, 2015 9:27 pm

Interesting article from AdelaideNow...

http://mobile.news.com.au/sport/afl/new ... 7353939560

New SANFL chief Jake Parkinson says State league is not suffering from Crows and Power reserves

SANFL boss Jake Parkinson is pointing to increased club membership figures — and not fallen crowd numbers — as reason to not rethink the presence of Crows and Power AFL reserves teams in the state league.

Central District, an SANFL powerhouse before the AFL reserves debate ended with the State league’s refit to a 10-team competition last season, has called for the Crows and Power sides to be axed. The Bulldogs want an uncompromised SANFL with no AFL content.

That call rests with the SA Football Commission that has given the Adelaide and Port Adelaide football clubs a 15-year commitment to have their reserves teams in the SANFL — but with a review of their terms each season.

“And we are not hitting any panic buttons now,” Parkinson said.

Central District has reiterated its wish for no AFL content in the state league with Bulldogs chief Kris Grant backing his case on falling SANFL crowd figures.

SANFL attendances have slipped to a game average of 2637, six per cent down from last year’s mark of 2819. The 2637 figure is one of the lowest since 1997 when the SANFL had to deal with Adelaide hosting AFL games each weekend with the advent of the Power as the state’s second AFL entry.

At Crows SANFL games, the crowd figure — that was expected to average at 4000 — has dropped 36 per cent to 2173. The Magpies’ figure is down 15 per cent to a 2740 average. But Parkinson disputes the image these numbers leave of fans turning their back on the SANFL. He has compared Central District figures in 2014 and this season across the same opponents.

“The difference on a like-for-like count is 100,” Parkinson said. “The crowd figures are down for the weather. The Port Adelaide-Norwood grand final rematch at Adelaide Oval was superbly promoted, particularly by Port Adelaide. Then it poured on the night — you can’t help that.

“Our other key indicators are up — membership is up three per cent. Media interest and website activity is up. This tells us there is a vibrant and successful SANFL. And we are working at making it stronger.”

Adelaide Football Club SANFL chief Phil Harper wants to keep the Crows in the State league — and hold the same one-team model that is under fire today.

“We honestly believe being in the SANFL gives us an advantage no other AFL team has because the SANFL is a better competition than any other outside the AFL,” he said. “If we are not in the SANFL, that $400,000 licence fee goes from the SANFL to a travel company taking us to another State league (like the VFL).”

Of the one-team model with no academy team or SANFL recruiting zone, Harper said: “We are not rethinking it. If we had less injuries, we would have better results. Our model is working quite well.”

Big Phil
Coach

Has liked: 120 times
Been liked: 271 times

Postby Dutchy » Wed May 13, 2015 9:35 pm

What is your opinion on all this BP?
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2311 times
Been liked: 3484 times

Postby Jim05 » Wed May 13, 2015 9:37 pm

Parkinson can GAGF!
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1125 times
Been liked: 3534 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby JK » Wed May 13, 2015 9:47 pm

Jim05 wrote:Parkinson can GAGF!

Fair go Jim, this winter sport of ours has never been played in rain or cold until this year .. Is Jake Parkinson new to the country or something?

“Our other key indicators are up — membership is up three per cent. Media interest and website activity is up. This tells us there is a vibrant and successful SANFL. And we are working at making it stronger.”

How so Jake? Any chance of elaborating on such a broad comment, with, I dunno, maybe an explanation of how? Maybe it was by having only two teams play in round 1?

Somehow I have a lot more trust in someone like Kris Grant to have a better idea of the SANFL competition than this clown.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4440 times
Been liked: 2985 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby spell_check » Wed May 13, 2015 9:47 pm

Exclude the two Anzac Day matches last year and you average 2907 to this point.

Do the same for this year (well, the 24th) and you get 2541.

Want another comparison? 2009 had not two, but three matches badly weather affected on Anzac Day. In my table, 2009 averaged 3173. Take those three matches out and it's 3306. My point being, even that year is miles ahead of what we have this year even though one of the biggest drawing days on the SANFL calendar also had shoddy weather.

And if other days this year are cited, 'poor weather' isn't just a chance of a shower or a light shower or cooler than normal conditions.
spell_check
Coach

Has liked: 45 times
Been liked: 178 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL