Round 7 Adelaide v Port Balaklava Sunday 1.10pm

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: Round 7 Adelaide v Port Balaklava Sunday 1.10pm

Postby heater31 » Tue May 12, 2015 9:24 pm

Dutchy wrote:
OnSong wrote:
CENTURION wrote:meh

I look at comments such as these and on one hand, I get the whole "No AFL in the SANFL" thing but then we wouldn't have an opportunity like we have this weekend to showcase some of the state's best football talent in our back yard.
No other club in the history of the SANFL has ever had the initiative to cater for the regional crowd in this area by playing a match for premiership points in Balaklava.
We're chuffed to have it, even if it isn't a "traditional" SANFL club competing. We've put in so much time and effort into preparing to host it and we're looking forward to holding it on Sunday. Jam your apathy.

There have been plenty of SANFL games in the bush before.

With the current look of the Adelaide Reserves due to the Crows injury list many of the players will be "bush" top up players who would have never achieved an SANFL game than by default.

Unfortunately many of those fill ins said it was all too hard and left the SANFL system.....
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1259 times

Postby CENTURION » Tue May 12, 2015 9:25 pm

yep, keep promoting the AFL sides in the SANFL, we will all be gone soon.
Member No. 988 & PROUD to sponsor The CDFC!!
CENTURION
Coach

Has liked: 204 times
Been liked: 112 times
Grassroots Team: Salisbury

Postby spell_check » Tue May 12, 2015 9:32 pm

kneedeepinthehoopla wrote:
saintal wrote:Whilst I don't think this particular game benefits/enhances the SANFL "brand" (for lack of a better term) greatly, it would be good to see 1 or 2 country games each year involving genuine SANFL clubs.

Reckon we played a couple in our south east zone going back a decade or two. Penola I think? Westies gave us a touch up there from memory

viewtopic.php?p=1440902#p1440902

That match vs West was at Lameroo; South was played at Penola
spell_check
Coach

Has liked: 45 times
Been liked: 178 times

Postby Wedgie » Tue May 12, 2015 10:21 pm

Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2021 times
Been liked: 3862 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby OnSong » Tue May 12, 2015 10:30 pm

Dutchy wrote:
OnSong wrote:

I look at comments such as these and on one hand, I get the whole "No AFL in the SANFL" thing but then we wouldn't have an opportunity like we have this weekend to showcase some of the state's best football talent in our back yard.
No other club in the history of the SANFL has ever had the initiative to cater for the regional crowd in this area by playing a match for premiership points in Balaklava.
We're chuffed to have it, even if it isn't a "traditional" SANFL club competing. We've put in so much time and effort into preparing to host it and we're looking forward to holding it on Sunday. Jam your apathy.

With the current look of the Adelaide Reserves due to the Crows injury list many of the players will be "bush" top up players who would have never achieved an SANFL game than by default.

I didn't say that, I'm referring to our region.

And on the second point you could argue the same with the AFL expansion clubs giving more draft hopefuls a chance. For blokes like Charlie Molyneux who play country footy and can clearly mix it at League level, I think getting that opportunity is brilliant.
Right in front of me. RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME!
OnSong
Coach

Has liked: 524 times
Been liked: 543 times

Postby OnSong » Tue May 12, 2015 10:34 pm

Mythical Creature wrote:
OnSong wrote:

Well said there Onsong.

What are you hoping for crowd wise Sunday OnSong? There were 5,000 odd last year at Clare, however Tex was playing so would add a few extra supporters plus Clare is a bigger area. I would think anything over 3,000 would be a great result, however not sure if that's around the mark for what you are aiming for?

FWIW I will definitely make the effort to get to the ground and have a look for sure.

We aren't really sure but I think 3000 would be a good target to start with. The Tex draw card was a big thing, hoping the Crows bring a number of AFL players up to sign autographs etc so it gives the kids and families a bigger reason to come along too.
OnSong
Coach

Postby OnSong » Tue May 12, 2015 10:39 pm

daysofourlives wrote:Who benefits from the game?
where do the profits go, is it all to the Balaklave Footy Club?
Last years match was for a charity wasnt it?

Yeah the CFS Foundation is the major charity associated with the day.
Obviously the league and club stand to benefit from hosting the event as well.
OnSong
Coach

Postby OnSong » Tue May 12, 2015 10:40 pm

matt35 wrote:Would've gone up for this, but it clashes with Glenelg so that's where we'll be. Weather is looking about as good as it gets this time of year so certainly that won't turn anyone off. Hope for a good crowd and a Crows win; unfortunately I fear I'll have to be satisfied with a good crowd as I think Port will win this by around 6-7 goals.

Agree, hard to see the Crows winning but hoping for a good crowd with the great forecast.
OnSong
Coach

Postby OnSong » Tue May 12, 2015 10:42 pm

heater31 wrote:
Dutchy wrote:
OnSong wrote:

Unfortunately many of those fill ins said it was all too hard and left the SANFL system.....

And there's those who just flat out don't get the opportunity. Check Sam Rowland's stats in the ressies but can't crack the strong League side.
OnSong
Coach

Postby Big Phil » Tue May 12, 2015 10:46 pm

OnSong wrote:And there's those who just flat out don't get the opportunity. Check Sam Rowland's stats in the ressies but can't crack the strong League side.

One would suspect it's not all about stats in order to get a League game...

Brayden O'Hara played 3 years of really good Reserves football before getting a League opportunity at Centrals...
Big Phil
Coach

Has liked: 120 times
Been liked: 271 times

Postby RB » Tue May 12, 2015 11:07 pm

OnSong wrote:
Dutchy wrote:
OnSong wrote:

I didn't say that, I'm referring to our region.

And on the second point you could argue the same with the AFL expansion clubs giving more draft hopefuls a chance. For blokes like Charlie Molyneux who play country footy and can clearly mix it at League level, I think getting that opportunity is brilliant.

No doubt it's brilliant for Charlie, but the majority of Crows reserves top-up players are getting league games otherwise than on merit. Given the proud 140-year history of the SANFL, that quite frankly sucks.
R.I.P. the SANFL 1877 - 2013
RB
Coach

Has liked: 759 times
Been liked: 1073 times

Postby johntheclaret » Wed May 13, 2015 6:10 am

Big Phil wrote:
OnSong wrote:And there's those who just flat out don't get the opportunity. Check Sam Rowland's stats in the ressies but can't crack the strong League side.

Brayden O'Hara played 3 years of really good Reserves football before getting a League opportunity at Centrals...

Boras was the same for North. Great returns in the ressies but never fired up in the league
johntheclaret
Coach

Has liked: 409 times
Been liked: 580 times

Postby Big Phil » Wed May 13, 2015 10:08 am

johntheclaret wrote:
Big Phil wrote:

Boras was the same for North. Great returns in the ressies but never fired up in the league

Slight difference between Big Bad Johnny and Brayden is that O'Hara went on to win 3 flags, won a League B&F, played State footy and notched up just over 100 senior games...
Big Phil
Coach

Has liked: 120 times
Been liked: 271 times

Postby OnSong » Wed May 13, 2015 1:35 pm

Big Phil wrote:
johntheclaret wrote:
Big Phil wrote:

Slight difference between Big Bad Johnny and Brayden is that O'Hara went on to win 3 flags, won a League B&F, played State footy and notched up just over 100 senior games...

Yeah, that's a great effort from O'Hara but you could also understand why some would get jaded waiting in the wings for an opportunity.
OnSong
Coach

Postby wild dog » Thu May 14, 2015 12:58 am

OnSong wrote:Yeah, that's a great effort from O'Hara but you could also understand why some would get jaded waiting in the wings for an opportunity.

Also Brad Currie. Ja k Gunston while on the Crows list played a fair amount in Centrals reserves. From memory also Henderson. Now you just short circuit the process all clubs have in place and give the proverbial.

Good luck on the day though you have an excellent club and hope you get a big thirsty and hungry crowd.
wild dog
Under 18s

Has liked: 56 times
Been liked: 180 times
Grassroots Team: Smithfield

Postby jackpot jim » Sun May 17, 2015 2:45 pm

How ****'n hard is it to have opposing teams to wear contrasting strips?
Utter disgrace !
Makes for terrible watching on telly as the strips just seem to blend into each other.
Having said that i understand that no ones gives a F**K about these 2 teams anyway so i guess it's not an issue with most?
jackpot jim
Coach

Has liked: 339 times
Been liked: 444 times

Postby redden whites » Sun May 17, 2015 4:08 pm

Ordinary crowd.
redden whites
League - Best 21

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 8 times
Grassroots Team: Jamestown-Peterborough

Postby jackpot jim » Sun May 17, 2015 4:18 pm

redden whites wrote:Ordinary crowd.

Is there a crowd there?

Whose going to drive out to the middle of nowhere to watch it when its live on telly and city people whinge about having to travel more than 5 kms when the games played in the city anyway.
jackpot jim
Coach

Has liked: 339 times
Been liked: 444 times

Postby Jim05 » Sun May 17, 2015 4:19 pm

redden whites wrote:Ordinary crowd.

Its a practice match what do you expect
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1125 times
Been liked: 3534 times