Kane Cornes' book

Talk on the national game

Re: Kane Cornes' book

Postby heater31 » Wed May 13, 2015 12:22 pm

whufc wrote:
carey wrote:
MW wrote:Heard he is retiring after game 300....book launch makes sense now but what doesnt make sense is abandoning your team during a seaon when they should be challenging for the flag.

Life after football? My understanding is the next intake of Firies may not be for upwards of 2-3 years and he will then have to re-sit it all again.

Dom did it when he retired. (Mid year I mean)

That is correct about the firies, we may be losing a couple of employees over the next couple of months

There is an intake coming up but then after that it could be 2 or 3 years before the next.
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1259 times

Postby cennals05 » Wed May 13, 2015 12:36 pm

heater31 wrote:
whufc wrote:
carey wrote:
MW wrote:Heard he is retiring after game 300....book launch makes sense now but what doesnt make sense is abandoning your team during a seaon when they should be challenging for the flag.

Life after football? My understanding is the next intake of Firies may not be for upwards of 2-3 years and he will then have to re-sit it all again.

Dom did it when he retired. (Mid year I mean)

That is correct about the firies, we may be losing a couple of employees over the next couple of months

There is an intake coming up but then after that it could be 2 or 3 years before the next.

A guy at work announced he got in yesterday.
cennals05
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 146 times
Been liked: 248 times

Postby Dogwatcher » Wed May 13, 2015 12:53 pm

cennals05 wrote: A guy at work announced he got in yesterday.

:lol:
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed May 13, 2015 1:22 pm

cennals05 wrote:A guy at work announced he got in yesterday.

What about the fire dept?
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed May 13, 2015 1:23 pm

stan wrote:If Brendon Fevola can write a book then really its open slather.

Surely it's all pictures.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

Postby gossipgirl » Wed May 13, 2015 1:25 pm

is he going to Hawthorn ? ;)
Adelaide Crows World champions 2017 - Crows 4.11 to Lions 4.5
gossipgirl
League - Best 21

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 57 times
Grassroots Team: Boston

Postby Dutchy » Wed May 13, 2015 4:16 pm

Surprised, very selfish
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2311 times
Been liked: 3482 times

Postby Pag » Wed May 13, 2015 4:45 pm

Dutchy wrote:Surprised, very selfish

Not sure I wold say someone attempting to enter a career where saving lives is the #1 priority as selfish.

I did hear he missed the North game a few weeks back due to an exam or test of some kind. The AFL and it's clubs can't go on about how hard life is after football for players, and then block guys close to retirement who are trying to sort their post-football lives out.
Pag
Coach

Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 498 times

Postby test » Wed May 13, 2015 5:01 pm

Pag wrote:

Not sure I wold say someone attempting to enter a career where saving lives is the #1 priority as selfish.

I did hear he missed the North game a few weeks back due to an exam or test of some kind. The AFL and it's clubs can't go on about how hard life is after football for players, and then block guys close to retirement who are trying to sort their post-football lives out.

And securing employment for life to provide for his family, good on him.
test
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 143 times
Been liked: 31 times
Grassroots Team: Wallaroo

Postby Dutchy » Wed May 13, 2015 10:13 pm

Pag wrote:

Why did he commit himself to this season then? Im sure it just hasn't happened in the last month. He has denied a youngster being brought into the club and starting his career. When things get tough this year can other players just quit also?
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2311 times
Been liked: 3482 times

Postby David Brent » Thu May 14, 2015 10:08 am

I tend to agree, hasn't been handled very well by Kane the last few weeks.

If he wasn't 2 games away from 300 would Ken keep playing him? I doubt it..... Lost chance to get games into Ah Chee & other youngsters IMO. Suprised Ken being the straight shooter he is will let him play the next 2 games.
If you can keep your head when all around you have lost theirs, then you probably haven't understood the seriousness of the situation.
David Brent
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 98 times
Been liked: 161 times

Postby The Bedge » Thu May 14, 2015 10:13 am

Dutchy wrote:Why did he commit himself to this season then? Im sure it just hasn't happened in the last month. He has denied a youngster being brought into the club and starting his career. When things get tough this year can other players just quit also?

To be fair, it's hard to know where his thought process was at at the start of the year - he may well have been committed to the full year and beyond, but as the season got closer and begun perhaps that passion has dropped away.

People retire all the time from AFL football, often suddenly and mid-season, no one bats an eyelid and celebrate their career yet he's being selfish?

If he turned around and announced his retirement and said his body couldn't handle it anymore, no one would care... if he then joined the firies a week later no one would care.. but because he's announced a change in career he's selfish?!
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3188 times
Been liked: 3989 times

Postby the milky bar kid » Thu May 14, 2015 10:28 am

David Brent wrote:

I tend to agree, hasn't been handled very well by Kane the last few weeks.

If he wasn't 2 games away from 300 would Ken keep playing him? I doubt it..... Lost chance to get games into Ah Chee & other youngsters IMO. Suprised Ken being the straight shooter he is will let him play the next 2 games.

When Ken Hinkley came to the club, a big thing was respecting past champions with respect. He was given the option to cut Kane & responded "we don't treat club champions like that". Kane is rightly able to hold his position in the side on merit at the moment, so playing 2 more games is fine by me. I'm sure that it's been thoroughly discussed within the club between all stake holders & the club would be well within its right to say "you're contracted, you play" if it felt the need to do so.

From all reports even attempting a go at the firey's wasn't even contemplated until October well after I'm sure his 2015 contract was signed.

IMHO it is much more selfish to go out & get suspended on the field than it is to take the opportunity to set yourself up for a career post football when you have already given 10+ years of loyal service.
the milky bar kid
League - Best 21

Has liked: 119 times
Been liked: 238 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

Postby Footy Smart » Thu May 14, 2015 10:29 am

Why quit your job if you arent assured of getting a new one? He was no certainty to get in. Kane's done well in football and will do well outside of football. Good on him.
Footy Smart
Coach

Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 118 times
Grassroots Team: Modbury

Postby Booney » Thu May 14, 2015 10:43 am

Do you tell your current employer that you're looking at another career option before you get the new option offered to you? No, you don't.

Very unusual circumstances, nothing we've encountered before and impossible to judge a bloke for looking after himself after football.

I am disappointed that he has left mid season, but a 300 game 4 time b'n'f premiership player can leave on his terms, no issues.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby woodublieve12 » Thu May 14, 2015 10:56 am

Booney wrote:Do you tell your current employer that you're looking at another career option before you get the new option offered to you? No, you don't.

Very unusual circumstances, nothing we've encountered before and impossible to judge a bloke for looking after himself after football.

I am disappointed that he has left mid season, but a 300 game 4 time b'n'f premiership player can leave on his terms, no issues.

but it's a massive deal if a player requests to go to the reserves to find form and some game time???
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Has liked: 3016 times
Been liked: 2384 times

Postby Booney » Thu May 14, 2015 11:12 am

They're the same thing?
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby am Bays » Thu May 14, 2015 11:16 am

Best news of 2015, now I can go back to hating those pr!cks without any pangs of guilt because he was there.

Quality bloke, quality family well done Cornsey on a great career!!!
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 162 times
Been liked: 1804 times

Postby OnSong » Thu May 14, 2015 11:28 am

Roo copping a lashing over his article in the Tiser, suggesting Kane was pushed or selfish:
http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/afl/mark-ricciuto-kane-cornes-is-either-selfish-or-being-pushed-by-port-adelaide/story-fnp04d71-1227353774138

It's natural for people to be defensive of Kane, a great player, club legend etc. But Roo has been there, done that. The premiership window is open. Kane signed on for one more year, one more crack at one more flag. It's hard to believe Kane wouldn't want to be part of that success and with every possible chance they could achieve that feat, it does seem strange for him to pull the pin, regardless of any job offer on the cards. Selfish is not a word you would associate with Kane Cornes. It's hard to know exactly what to think about it but it doesn't sit right with me. Just hope it was on Kane's terms.
Right in front of me. RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME!
OnSong
Coach

Has liked: 524 times
Been liked: 543 times

Postby Booney » Thu May 14, 2015 11:32 am

Agreed, it doesn't sit right with me either.

Did he know all of this when he got on the plane to Dubai last year, when he committed to doing all he could as part of the playing group to (hopefully) take the next step with the PAFC to get to the pinnacle of the game in 2015? He may have, he may not have.

Ultimately I can't knock the bloke for taking care of his life/family after football. It's not great timing, granted.

The leadership group has every right to ask him some direct questions, what/where/why/when etc. though.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL