Kane Cornes' book

Talk on the national game

Re: Kane Cornes' book

Postby heater31 » Thu May 14, 2015 11:33 am

OnSong wrote:Roo copping a lashing over his article in the Tiser, suggesting Kane was pushed or selfish:
http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/afl/mark-ricciuto-kane-cornes-is-either-selfish-or-being-pushed-by-port-adelaide/story-fnp04d71-1227353774138

It's natural for people to be defensive of Kane, a great player, club legend etc. But Roo has been there, done that. The premiership window is open. Kane signed on for one more year, one more crack at one more flag. It's hard to believe Kane wouldn't want to be part of that success and with every possible chance they could achieve that feat, it does seem strange for him to pull the pin, regardless of any job offer on the cards. Selfish is not a word you would associate with Kane Cornes. It's hard to know exactly what to think about it but it doesn't sit right with me. Just hope it was on Kane's terms.

It only looks bad because the MFS recruitment process only happens once every 2 or 3 years. Kane is between a rock and a hard place as if he knocks it back he might have to wait 3 years until the next one. Highly doubt he would still be playing football in 3 years at AFL level.
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1263 times

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Thu May 14, 2015 11:38 am

some of the things ive read in the paper etc from journalists, basically suggest Port are a one man band and with Cornes leaving, they have no hope of winning the premiership.

I would hazard a guess that late last year this was discussed with Ken and Kane.
Kane would have mentioned his desire to start planning life after footy and the club could have then and there said No.

the situation is very unique.

A person leaves to look after the next 30 odd years of life and they are selfish, but when the club wants to delist a player, they are quickly forgotten about.

as for Roo, well there is an egotistical maniac if I have ever seen one
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11844 times
Been liked: 3600 times

Postby David Brent » Thu May 14, 2015 12:37 pm

OnSong wrote:Roo copping a lashing over his article in the Tiser, suggesting Kane was pushed or selfish:
http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/afl/mark-ricciuto-kane-cornes-is-either-selfish-or-being-pushed-by-port-adelaide/story-fnp04d71-1227353774138

It's natural for people to be defensive of Kane, a great player, club legend etc. But Roo has been there, done that. The premiership window is open. Kane signed on for one more year, one more crack at one more flag. It's hard to believe Kane wouldn't want to be part of that success and with every possible chance they could achieve that feat, it does seem strange for him to pull the pin, regardless of any job offer on the cards. Selfish is not a word you would associate with Kane Cornes. It's hard to know exactly what to think about it but it doesn't sit right with me. Just hope it was on Kane's terms.

http://www.theroar.com.au/2015/05/13/ka ... lways-has/

I found this article an interesting perspective on it...

IMO Ken Hinkley would be the most dissapointed, if he had known this was on the cards im sure he would rather have played another developing player in the tagging role for the first 8 rounds to gain the experiance. No doubt Kane is a club legend but I think he has let the team down a bit with decison.
If you can keep your head when all around you have lost theirs, then you probably haven't understood the seriousness of the situation.
David Brent
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 98 times
Been liked: 161 times

Postby OnSong » Thu May 14, 2015 12:56 pm

Booney wrote:Agreed, it doesn't sit right with me either.

Did he know all of this when he got on the plane to Dubai last year, when he committed to doing all he could as part of the playing group to (hopefully) take the next step with the PAFC to get to the pinnacle of the game in 2015? He may have, he may not have.

Ultimately I can't knock the bloke for taking care of his life/family after football. It's not great timing, granted.

The leadership group has every right to ask him some direct questions, what/where/why/when etc. though.

Absolutely. He's the club's best tagger, although Freo have been going without Crowley this season. Perhaps the Power has been watching Freo this year.

You would think a full strength Power side includes Kane Cornes, so it would hurt the premiership chances for sure.
Right in front of me. RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME!
OnSong
Coach

Has liked: 524 times
Been liked: 543 times

Postby OnSong » Thu May 14, 2015 12:59 pm

mighty_tiger_79 wrote:some of the things ive read in the paper etc from journalists, basically suggest Port are a one man band and with Cornes leaving, they have no hope of winning the premiership.

I would hazard a guess that late last year this was discussed with Ken and Kane.
Kane would have mentioned his desire to start planning life after footy and the club could have then and there said No.

the situation is very unique.

A person leaves to look after the next 30 odd years of life and they are selfish, but when the club wants to delist a player, they are quickly forgotten about.

as for Roo, well there is an egotistical maniac if I have ever seen one

Maybe so, but I actually agree with Roo.
OnSong
Coach

Postby Booney » Thu May 14, 2015 1:26 pm

OnSong wrote:

Did he know all of this when he got on the plane to Dubai last year, when he committed to doing all he could as part of the playing group to (hopefully) take the next step with the PAFC to get to the pinnacle of the game in 2015? He may have, he may not have.

Ultimately I can't knock the bloke for taking care of his life/family after football. It's not great timing, granted.

The leadership group has every right to ask him some direct questions, what/where/why/when etc. though.

Absolutely. He's the club's best tagger, although Freo have been going without Crowley this season. Perhaps the Power has been watching Freo this year.

You would think a full strength Power side includes Kane Cornes, so it would hurt the premiership chances for sure.

That's the kicker, for mine, it might.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7493 times
Been liked: 10776 times

Postby OnSong » Thu May 14, 2015 1:39 pm

Booney wrote:
OnSong wrote:

That's the kicker, for mine, it might.

What other defensive mid options have the Power got? Young? Moore?
OnSong
Coach

Postby the milky bar kid » Thu May 14, 2015 1:41 pm

OnSong wrote:What other defensive mid options have the Power got? Young? Moore?

To my knowledge, he's been groomed as his replacement for a while
the milky bar kid
League - Best 21

Has liked: 119 times
Been liked: 238 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

Postby OnSong » Thu May 14, 2015 1:44 pm

the milky bar kid wrote:
OnSong wrote:What other defensive mid options have the Power got? Young? Moore?

To my knowledge, he's been groomed as his replacement for a while

Fair enough. Hasn't been too bad of late, although his game on the weekend was his worst in a decent run of form IMO
OnSong
Coach

Postby Dutchy » Thu May 14, 2015 2:45 pm

Excellent article by Roo, its spot on, and its not the middle of the season as some are saying, he has played 5 games! He said this opportunity at the MFS came up in November, plenty of time to retire then and allow an extra kid to be drafted.

Plenty of time in the future for him to go to the MFS, its not as if he is going to be unemployed if he has to wait a couple more years, he already has a media profile.

Very very poor by him IMO and if Port had nothing to do with it I reckon they would be privately spewing also.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2324 times
Been liked: 3499 times

Postby cennals05 » Thu May 14, 2015 2:51 pm

He applied for the MFS in November. He only found out this week that he had been accepted. Ken Hinkley wrote his reference for the MFS and is quite happy to be supporting him. If people haven't listened to the press conference I suggest you do, both Ken and Kane explain everything. It was the club that wanted Kane to play his 300th.

A lot of assumptions and misinformation being peddled in this and the Port thread.
cennals05
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 146 times
Been liked: 248 times

Postby Dutchy » Thu May 14, 2015 3:00 pm

cennals05 wrote:He applied for the MFS in November. He only found out this week that he had been accepted. Ken Hinkley wrote his reference for the MFS and is quite happy to be supporting him. If people haven't listened to the press conference I suggest you do, both Ken and Kane explain everything. It was the club that wanted Kane to play his 300th.

A lot of assumptions and misinformation being peddled in this and the Port thread.

Doesn't mean it is right and can't be questioned.

Ken needs to answer some questions also then.

Why only 2 weeks ago were they talking about having him fit and firing later in the year?
Dutchy
Site Admin

Postby Booney » Thu May 14, 2015 3:01 pm

cennals05 wrote:He applied for the MFS in November. He only found out this week that he had been accepted. Ken Hinkley wrote his reference for the MFS and is quite happy to be supporting him. If people haven't listened to the press conference I suggest you do, both Ken and Kane explain everything. It was the club that wanted Kane to play his 300th.

Keep in mind, applying for something is one thing, accepting it when and if it is offered is another thing.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Footy Smart » Thu May 14, 2015 3:10 pm

Dutchy wrote:

Why only 2 weeks ago were they talking about having him fit and firing later in the year?

only 2 weeks ago that was still a possability
Footy Smart
Coach

Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 118 times
Grassroots Team: Modbury

Postby Booney » Thu May 14, 2015 3:14 pm

Dutchy wrote:

Only 48 hours ago he didn't have a place in the MFS on offer. Only 24 hours ago he had ( seemingly ) not 100% decided to take the offer up.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Dutchy » Thu May 14, 2015 3:27 pm

So 48 hours ago he had no inkling this was going to happen?
Dutchy
Site Admin

Postby Booney » Thu May 14, 2015 3:35 pm

Dutchy wrote:So 48 hours ago he had no inkling this was going to happen?

I think you're missing the point.

He knew he may have had an offer coming, but once offered that role he then had to decide if he wanted to take it, correct? I would imagine that decision to accept the role may have been made, "If they offer, I'm taking it". Perhaps it wasn't already decided, "Let's wait and see if they offer it before I decide".
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Dutchy » Thu May 14, 2015 3:36 pm

If thats the case and he has only just accepted the role today, why can't he play for another 4 weeks?
Dutchy
Site Admin

Postby Booney » Thu May 14, 2015 3:37 pm

Dutchy wrote:If thats the case and he has only just accepted the role today, why can't he play for another 4 weeks?

What's the 4 weeks, notice?
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby OnSong » Thu May 14, 2015 3:40 pm

Dutchy wrote:If thats the case and he has only just accepted the role today, why can't he play for another 4 weeks?

Injury risk apparently.

In summary though, Roo is right. Kane supposedly wasn't pushed. So it was entirely selfish. Plenty of people make their plans for post footy and his meant he would potentially bail on the club early in the season to pursue the dream job.

Mind you, after 15 years of service, he's entitled to do some stuff solely for Kane. But it still wouldn't be in the club's best interests, especially as they saw fit to sign him up for this year in July 2014. All the best to him.
OnSong
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL