Kane Cornes' book

Talk on the national game

Re: Kane Cornes' book

Postby Dutchy » Thu May 14, 2015 3:58 pm

Im sure the MFS give them a decent gap between appointment and start date.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2325 times
Been liked: 3505 times

Postby Dutchy » Thu May 14, 2015 3:59 pm

OnSong wrote:
Dutchy wrote:If thats the case and he has only just accepted the role today, why can't he play for another 4 weeks?

Injury risk apparently.

Don't play your 300th then.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Postby HH3 » Thu May 14, 2015 4:08 pm

Anyone else changing jobs wouldn't be a problem for anyone. Why is it when its an AFL footballer.

He's given notice. They don't have to pick him.

Brent Reilly retired yesterday, with no notice. How selfish!!
I TOLD YOU SO

2013/14 NFL Tipping Comp Champion
HH3
Coach

Has liked: 3301 times
Been liked: 2433 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby nuggety goodness » Fri May 15, 2015 9:30 am

I think we all jump on our high horse a bit quick here...

Forget its football for a second and put yourself in the scenario.

You've been at your current employer for 15 years and youve applied for something different. You're halfway through a major project but get the tap on the shoulder for the new gig. You're entitled to beca little bit selfish... you'll take all your sickie entitlements and whatever else you've 'earnt' and then go out on some kind of memorable milestone...

At first i thought it was selfish until i put his shoes on. Now i think I'm selfish too!!!
I am not talking to you for 3 minutes because you punched me in the head and it hurt and that was not okay for you to do
nuggety goodness
League - Top 5

Has liked: 329 times
Been liked: 219 times
Grassroots Team: Ovingham

Postby Dogwatcher » Fri May 15, 2015 9:36 am

Always have been ;)
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby OnSong » Fri May 15, 2015 10:23 am

I just feel the footy club is more than just an employer. It's chockas with people you care about, blokes bleed for their club, put themselves through all sorts of agony for it. You do stuff for your footy club you'd never do for a normal employer.
Right in front of me. RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME!
OnSong
Coach

Has liked: 524 times
Been liked: 543 times

Postby HH3 » Fri May 15, 2015 11:00 am

OnSong wrote:I just feel the footy club is more than just an employer. It's chockas with people you care about, blokes bleed for their club, put themselves through all sorts of agony for it. You do stuff for your footy club you'd never do for a normal employer.

Would you give up the chance to bring in good income for your family after your career is over in the AFL? Which wouldn't be too far off anyway.
I TOLD YOU SO

HH3
Coach

Postby Hefty » Fri May 15, 2015 11:24 am

Where can I find the image of when Barry Hall was going to knock his lights out at footy park???
Hefty
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 133 times
Been liked: 110 times
Grassroots Team: Golden Grove

Postby OnSong » Fri May 15, 2015 11:27 am

HH3 wrote:
OnSong wrote:I just feel the footy club is more than just an employer. It's chockas with people you care about, blokes bleed for their club, put themselves through all sorts of agony for it. You do stuff for your footy club you'd never do for a normal employer.

Would you give up the chance to bring in good income for your family after your career is over in the AFL? Which wouldn't be too far off anyway.

There's no denying it's a good opportunity. Having said that, you wouldn't think Kane would be struggling for good opportunities.
What if he was offered a lucrative media deal after he expressed interest in doing that late last year, then packed up mid season to pursue that?
By doing what he's doing, he is probably harming the premiership opportunities of 21 other players/mates. These are opportunities that don't present every 2-3-4 years. I understand his reasons why. I'm just not over the moon for him but good luck to the guy,
OnSong
Coach

Postby HH3 » Fri May 15, 2015 11:39 am

OnSong wrote:
HH3 wrote:

There's no denying it's a good opportunity. Having said that, you wouldn't think Kane would be struggling for good opportunities.
What if he was offered a lucrative media deal after he expressed interest in doing that late last year, then packed up mid season to pursue that?
By doing what he's doing, he is probably harming the premiership opportunities of 21 other players/mates. These are opportunities that don't present every 2-3-4 years. I understand his reasons why. I'm just not over the moon for him but good luck to the guy,

A media contract can wait. Firefighter intakes don't. He would need to wait years to get another shot at it. I don't think he would be the difference between them either winning or losing a premiership. He is also giving another guy an opportunity to win a premiership that wouldn't otherwise have been possible. So really, he's being unselfish by not clogging up the list longer than he has to.
I TOLD YOU SO

HH3
Coach

Postby Dutchy » Fri May 15, 2015 11:43 am

He also took away the opportunity for someone else to get drafted back in November when he applied for the job but decided to stay on the list. 2 ways of looking at it.

So those that support him would support Shultz, Westhoff and Carlisle doing the same later in the year?
Dutchy
Site Admin

Postby OnSong » Fri May 15, 2015 12:11 pm

HH3 wrote:
OnSong wrote:
HH3 wrote:

A media contract can wait.

I would have thought a good opportunity was a good opportunity, whether it be MFS, media, palaeontology, what ever. But we're both labouring points for no real reason. I'm retiring from this discussion to pursue other discussion opportunities. Free up the list for others to comment. :)
OnSong
Coach

Postby HH3 » Fri May 15, 2015 12:23 pm

That's selfish mate. You're taking away my opportunity to waste time to get through my extremely tedious workday.
I TOLD YOU SO

HH3
Coach

Postby OnSong » Fri May 15, 2015 12:25 pm

HH3 wrote:That's selfish mate. You're taking away my opportunity to waste time to get through my extremely tedious workday.

I've got stuff I've been meaning to do since November.
OnSong
Coach

Postby Dogwatcher » Fri May 15, 2015 12:53 pm

OnSong wrote:
HH3 wrote:That's selfish mate. You're taking away my opportunity to waste time to get through my extremely tedious workday.

I've got stuff I've been meaning to do since November.

Don't we all ;)
Dogwatcher
Coach

Postby nuggety goodness » Fri May 15, 2015 1:18 pm

Dogwatcher wrote:Always have been ;)

Touchè!

Why hit the leading forward when the goalsquare is now free?!?

But seriously... you dont quit one job in the hopes that you might get another just so that someone else can be employed that wouldnt have been otherwise... That's ridiculous and if thats selfish then tell me when you applied for your current job, did you put in your resignation at your old one? An application means diddly squat, especially in the line of work he's going into.

Sometimes you have to be selfish.
I am not talking to you for 3 minutes because you punched me in the head and it hurt and that was not okay for you to do
nuggety goodness
League - Top 5

Has liked: 329 times
Been liked: 219 times
Grassroots Team: Ovingham

Postby Dogwatcher » Fri May 15, 2015 1:25 pm

nuggety goodness wrote:
Dogwatcher wrote:Always have been ;)

Touchè!

Why hit the leading forward when the goalsquare is now free?!?

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Dogwatcher
Coach

Postby MW » Fri May 22, 2015 1:27 pm

I think you'll find he will still be in the media. Being a fireman would not be enough income coming off an AFL players salary
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2609 times
Been liked: 1850 times

Postby Spargo » Fri May 22, 2015 4:43 pm

MW wrote:I think you'll find he will still be in the media. Being a fireman would not be enough income coming off an AFL players salary

Plus, being a Cornes he'll miss the limelight/attention.
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ
2024 champ, Spargo’s Good Friday Cup @ Ascot

I’ll wait for an angel, but I won’t hold my breath
‘Magine they’re busy, think I’m doin’ ok…
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5486 times
Been liked: 5124 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Previous

Board index   Football  AFL