Southern Football League

A forum dedicated to the Southern Football League!

Re: Southern Football League

Postby lion heart » Wed May 20, 2015 3:57 pm

Saturdays. Not going to suit everyone (our u18s are severely hampered by college football but still play in the Saturday comp). Flaggies, Reynella, Valley and perhaps a few others will be against the idea. They have huge numbers i understand their concern but is it not the SFL's job to look after the everyone's interests or in this case the majority?

The facts are that the majority of clubs voted for the change to u15/17 - the league for whatever reason decided to overrule it.

Could 15,17s be the requirement for all clubs on a Saturday but still run comps to cater for other age limits on a sunday? I realise it is complicated - no way to keep everyone happy but the SFL clubs should be able to decide their own fate... Where has 15 years with no change got us?
O’Sullivan Beach F.C Est. 1975
Lonsdale F.C Est. 1977
O’Sullivan Beach/Lonsdale F.C Est. 2001
Premierships
A-Grade ~ 5
Reserves ~ 5
Juniors ~ 17
lion heart
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 64 times
Been liked: 62 times
Grassroots Team: OSB Lonsdale

Postby Esteban Vihaio » Wed May 20, 2015 9:26 pm

Look Good In Leather wrote:
Courtney Fish wrote:
Courtney Fish wrote:Replace Valleys with Christies would that please you LGIL?

That was not my point, we hear a lot about how we should split into 2 divisions, but nobody has come up with a model that will work.

The main motivator every time seems to be knee-jerk reactions to some one-sided games, but then a proposer will suggest that a club like Morphettville Park should play in the lower division because they do not have juniors - yet they have been one of the best performed teams so far this year.

I believe a division should be filled by the teams that can field a full set of teams and then one with the rest. Over time the score issues will sort themselves out as the juniors filter through.
Those clubs that don't field Saturday junior teams can either merge, fold or continue along happy with the odd Sunday team (or none at all) but at least they won't stuff up our junior competition/Saturday structure any further.

Maybe no Under 18's could be an exception otherwise Noarlunga, Cove and Morphett Vale won't have a full set of Juniors. So might as well have the twisties in there too.

If their survival in the top division relied upon it, I am sure they would doorknock the entire suburb hunting for the players.

What a load of disrepsectful crap
Where's Bill? Yeah... Hmm... Bill is on the Villa Quatro, on the road to Salina. I will draw you a map.
Esteban Vihaio
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 89 times
Been liked: 36 times

Postby Dutchy » Wed May 20, 2015 9:50 pm

lion heart wrote:Saturdays. Not going to suit everyone (our u18s are severely hampered by college football but still play in the Saturday comp). Flaggies, Reynella, Valley and perhaps a few others will be against the idea. They have huge numbers i understand their concern but is it not the SFL's job to look after the everyone's interests or in this case the majority?

The facts are that the majority of clubs voted for the change to u15/17 - the league for whatever reason decided to overrule it.

Could 15,17s be the requirement for all clubs on a Saturday but still run comps to cater for other age limits on a sunday? I realise it is complicated - no way to keep everyone happy but the SFL clubs should be able to decide their own fate... Where has 15 years with no change got us?

Im not sure how turning the Sat comp to 15/17's is going to all of a sudden improve the numbers so we have 14 teams across both grades?
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2311 times
Been liked: 3484 times

Postby Courtney Fish » Thu May 21, 2015 12:04 am

Dutchy wrote:
lion heart wrote:Saturdays. Not going to suit everyone (our u18s are severely hampered by college football but still play in the Saturday comp). Flaggies, Reynella, Valley and perhaps a few others will be against the idea. They have huge numbers i understand their concern but is it not the SFL's job to look after the everyone's interests or in this case the majority?

Im not sure how turning the Sat comp to 15/17's is going to all of a sudden improve the numbers so we have 14 teams across both grades?

I'd say it would be easier to fill an Under 17's than an Under 18's.
And when one club is allowed to field 13 mini's teams the league is setting itself up for more problems down the track. I know its hard telling kids we can't fit you in a side but it has to start at least at Under 8's before they even start at a club. 6 under 8 teams at one club is a joke even if they are 12 a side. Kids will play elsewhere if they really want to play footy. Because most will have to stop playing when they reach seniors anyway because there will be no room for them.
Courtney Fish
Under 16s

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 25 times

Postby Look Good In Leather » Thu May 21, 2015 12:34 am

Esteban Vihaio wrote:
Courtney Fish wrote:
Look Good In Leather wrote:[quote="Courtney Fish"]Replace Valleys with Christies would that please you LGIL?

That was not my point, we hear a lot about how we should split into 2 divisions, but nobody has come up with a model that will work.

The main motivator every time seems to be knee-jerk reactions to some one-sided games, but then a proposer will suggest that a club like Morphettville Park should play in the lower division because they do not have juniors - yet they have been one of the best performed teams so far this year.

I believe a division should be filled by the teams that can field a full set of teams and then one with the rest. Over time the score issues will sort themselves out as the juniors filter through.
Those clubs that don't field Saturday junior teams can either merge, fold or continue along happy with the odd Sunday team (or none at all) but at least they won't stuff up our junior competition/Saturday structure any further.

Maybe no Under 18's could be an exception otherwise Noarlunga, Cove and Morphett Vale won't have a full set of Juniors. So might as well have the twisties in there too.

If their survival in the top division relied upon it, I am sure they would doorknock the entire suburb hunting for the players.

What a load of disrepsectful crap[/quote]
How is that disrespectful?
Look Good In Leather
League - Best 21

Has liked: 150 times
Been liked: 284 times
Grassroots Team: Christies Beach

Postby Reader » Thu May 21, 2015 8:44 am

I know what is disrespectful crap, towns turning up to Morphett vale last week with only 2 teams for the whole day.
Reader
Mini-League

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 2 times

Postby shoe boy » Thu May 21, 2015 9:08 am

Reader wrote:I know what is disrespectful crap, towns turning up to Morphett vale last week with only 2 teams for the whole day.

Yep 2 weeks ago same at the Shoe?
And a home game 2 games only wtf
shoe boy
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 488 times
Been liked: 209 times

Postby lion heart » Thu May 21, 2015 10:41 am

Dutchy wrote:

Are you serious? Puts far less strain than the current 14/16/18. Use my club for example we could have Saturday u15/17 this year. As it stands we have sunday 14s, saturday 18s. Next year we could fill u18s but with no u16s we likely would not fill u18s for 3 seasons after that.... we are not the only team in that boat. Emus, Cove, Aldinga, Shoes would have fielded both this season (currently have 2.5 sat teams) - Porties, Hackham likely too. We can still cater for other grades on a Sunday but to me 15/17/B/A on a saturday makes too much sense.

I tell you another thing that is a joke- every team having 19 year olds in u18s!!!
Lonsdale F.C Est. 1977
Premierships
A-Grade ~ 5
Reserves ~ 5
Juniors ~ 17
lion heart
League Bench Warmer

Postby Dutchy » Thu May 21, 2015 10:47 am

Courtney Fish wrote:
Dutchy wrote:

I'd say it would be easier to fill an Under 17's than an Under 18's.
And when one club is allowed to field 13 mini's teams the league is setting itself up for more problems down the track. I know its hard telling kids we can't fit you in a side but it has to start at least at Under 8's before they even start at a club. 6 under 8 teams at one club is a joke even if they are 12 a side. Kids will play elsewhere if they really want to play footy. Because most will have to stop playing when they reach seniors anyway because there will be no room for them.

Just cause we change the age bracket by one year the issue with the college kids not playing Saturday's changes? How so?

6 teams this season (12 a side) was the same as 3 teams last year (18 a side with a squad of 24 not uncommon) its the SFL that have changed the games to 12 a side so don;t blame the clubs.

Interestingly Blackwood turned kids away from their sub junior program as they were full in February, hence we picked up a heap of new kids and disgruntled families. Not sure turning away kids is the smart thing to do.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Postby Dutchy » Thu May 21, 2015 10:49 am

lion heart wrote:
Dutchy wrote:

Are you serious? Puts far less strain than the current 14/16/18. Use my club for example we could have Saturday u15/17 this year. As it stands we have sunday 14s, saturday 18s. Next year we could fill u18s but with no u16s we likely would not fill u18s for 3 seasons after that.... we are not the only team in that boat. Emus, Cove, Aldinga, Shoes would have fielded both this season (currently have 2.5 sat teams) - Porties, Hackham likely too. We can still cater for other grades on a Sunday but to me 15/17/B/A on a saturday makes too much sense.

I tell you another thing that is a joke- every team having 19 year olds in u18s!!!

But wouldn't it be 13's/15/17's from the current 14/16/18's or are we expecting 13yo's to play u15's?
Dutchy
Site Admin

Postby lion heart » Thu May 21, 2015 11:11 am

It could be 13/14/15/16/17 or 13/14/15/17 but 15/17 on a Saturday. 15/17/B/A is attainable for every club on a consistent basis.

I understand Flaggies concern- you have a brilliant junior setup the envy of most clubs i am sure. I know you work hard and are well run but you also have a great catchment zone. We are drawing from a much smaller area - although our numbers are smaller it doesn't mean we are not working hard.
Lonsdale F.C Est. 1977
Premierships
A-Grade ~ 5
Reserves ~ 5
Juniors ~ 17
lion heart
League Bench Warmer

Postby woodublieve12 » Thu May 21, 2015 11:27 am

lion heart wrote:It could be 13/14/15/16/17 or 13/14/15/17 but 15/17 on a Saturday. 15/17/B/A is attainable for every club on a consistent basis.

I understand Flaggies concern- you have a brilliant junior setup the envy of most clubs i am sure. I know you work hard and are well run but you also have a great catchment zone. We are drawing from a much smaller area - although our numbers are smaller it doesn't mean we are not working hard.

they had that setup (they might still i am not sure) in the metro south junior football league and i personally believe that it's not best for junior development. You NEED a two year gap between age groups ( 12,14,16,18).
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Has liked: 3016 times
Been liked: 2384 times

Postby Look Good In Leather » Thu May 21, 2015 11:30 am

lion heart wrote:It could be 13/14/15/16/17 or 13/14/15/17 but 15/17 on a Saturday. 15/17/B/A is attainable for every club on a consistent basis.

At the moment 10 clubs have A,B, U/16 & U/14. If we change Saturday football next year to A, B, U/17 & U/15 - 10 clubs have a full set and it will be a much more manageable program - we can all then work to assist the other 5 clubs if they are willing.

As it stands, only 5 of our 15 clubs are currently capable of fielding (or willing to) all 5 Saturday sides. The U/13 age group can play on Sunday, which fits better as the majority of the kids would be of Primary school age and therefore it won't clash with their school football.
Look Good In Leather
League - Best 21

Postby Look Good In Leather » Thu May 21, 2015 11:41 am

lion heart wrote:The facts are that the majority of clubs voted for the change to u15/17 - the league for whatever reason decided to overrule it.

I also find it interesting (and somewhat disappointing) that 3 of the 6 clubs that voted against it failed to field all three grades this season (Cove, Hackham & Morphettville Park).
Look Good In Leather
League - Best 21

Postby lion heart » Thu May 21, 2015 11:48 am

At the moment 10 clubs have A,B, U/16 & U/14. If we change Saturday football next year to A, B, U/17 & U/15 - 10 clubs have a full set and it will be a much more manageable program - we can all then work to assist the other 5 clubs if they are willing.

As it stands, only 5 of our 15 clubs are currently capable of fielding (or willing to) all 5 Saturday sides. The U/13 age group can play on Sunday, which fits better as the majority of the kids would be of Primary school age and therefore it won't clash with their school football.

I like 13s on a sunday. u8,10,12,13 sunday. Saturday 15/17/B/A could be workable. That u13 group is probably an age when a lot of kids grow so a 1 year age group could be beneficial.
Lonsdale F.C Est. 1977
Premierships
A-Grade ~ 5
Reserves ~ 5
Juniors ~ 17
lion heart
League Bench Warmer

Postby Dutchy » Thu May 21, 2015 1:25 pm

Im all for change if it makes things better, just not convinced it will make any difference to clubs like Marion & Morphie Parks participating in these grades on a Saturday when they actively promote under age Sunday football. Are they trying to get Sat sides?

Not having a go as the Lions at all, of all the smaller clubs I can see the great work you are doing,
Dutchy
Site Admin

Postby jet-airport » Thu May 21, 2015 2:00 pm

lion heart wrote:

I like 13s on a sunday. u8,10,12,13 sunday. Saturday 15/17/B/A could be workable. That u13 group is probably an age when a lot of kids grow so a 1 year age group could be beneficial.

So therefore with highlighted above - A 13- 14 year old kid who has played for a club since u/8's and finds himself outside the best 25-30 players for 15's, will be forced to leave his mates and play for another footy club to continue to play footy!!! where's the development in that system??? they will either stop playing or join another league.
You cannot cut out Sun footy u/14's u/16's or whatever age, as this was set up for keeping kids in footy that are shall we say not as talented as other kids of the same age. Some clubs in our league seem to hold Sunday junior premierships in high regard :shock: and are also quite proud of not having Sat sides in underage years.
jet-airport
Rookie

Has liked: 34 times
Been liked: 15 times
Grassroots Team: Reynella

Postby Look Good In Leather » Thu May 21, 2015 2:14 pm

jet-airport wrote:
lion heart wrote:

So therefore with highlighted above - A 13- 14 year old kid who has played for a club since u/8's and finds himself outside the best 25-30 players for 15's, will be forced to leave his mates and play for another footy club to continue to play footy!!! where's the development in that system??? they will either stop playing or join another league.
You cannot cut out Sun footy u/14's u/16's or whatever age, as this was set up for keeping kids in footy that are shall we say not as talented as other kids of the same age. Some clubs in our league seem to hold Sunday junior premierships in high regard :shock: and are also quite proud of not having Sat sides in underage years.

I think this is where a lot of the misunderstandings come from. At no stage has there been any proposal to remove the Sunday juniors, there have been discussions regarding the age groups, but I think we all agree there is a need for an overflow Sunday competition. The focus has been fixing the broken Saturday structure and as has been shown this year, it has become urgent.
Look Good In Leather
League - Best 21

Postby lion heart » Thu May 21, 2015 2:23 pm

Exactly. Nobody wants to see anyone lost to the game but there is a massive need to get Saturday's right. 15/17/B/A is a minimum requirement (with flexibility). Sunday comps can cater for whatever age bracket there is a need for really.
Lonsdale F.C Est. 1977
Premierships
A-Grade ~ 5
Reserves ~ 5
Juniors ~ 17
lion heart
League Bench Warmer

Postby shoe boy » Thu May 21, 2015 4:42 pm

This week winners?

Back to back winners for Valley over the Sharks 32 points
Flaggies over Cove 40 points
Towns over Marion 60 points
Shoes 6 points over the Bombers ( ALL GAMES TO TRIAL NO INTERCHANGE STEWART @ SHOE ) :axe:
Hackham 30 points over Lions
Porties to draw v Twisties

Block buster Sunday to see Reynella 12 points over Emus.
shoe boy
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 488 times
Been liked: 209 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  SFL