Crows 2015

Talk on the national game

Re: Crows 2015

Postby MW » Wed May 27, 2015 1:27 pm

Whats the thoughts on the Betts "stitch up" comment.

I think it's a throw away line, but no doubt words to that effect were said but more so that he wanted to come to Adelaide and Adelaide wanted him. This does not mean a contract was signed.

From what I know, it is not illegal to talk to players about free agency before the deadline of signing them opens.

At least Rucci has something else to write about as shown in the last four of his articles over the last 24 hours
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2600 times
Been liked: 1844 times

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Wed May 27, 2015 1:30 pm

I think there is something in it
But probably not enough in it that will result in any fines/sanctions that were incurred when Trigg did the Tippett deal

people still read Rucci???
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11839 times
Been liked: 3597 times

Postby MW » Wed May 27, 2015 1:30 pm

lol not if i can help it
MW
Coach

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Wed May 27, 2015 1:32 pm

MW wrote:lol not if i can help it

imagine him today on the Drive show.....

I rarely listen to it these days, but I guess Rucci will be all over this in his slot this arvo
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11839 times
Been liked: 3597 times

Postby MW » Wed May 27, 2015 1:33 pm

I wont hear him but no doubt there will be an almighty blue with him and Bickley. Can't help but think Bicks can't stand the "man"
MW
Coach

Postby TEX07 » Wed May 27, 2015 1:54 pm

mighty_tiger_79 wrote:I think there is something in it
But probably not enough in it that will result in any fines/sanctions that were incurred when Trigg did the Tippett deal

people still read Rucci???

I think that there would be bugger all in to be honest, is there a difference between talking to an out of contract player and a free agent player?

If nothing was signed then its all supposed discussions. Would that be any different to say Sloane knowing that he "may" be offered 1.2mill from St Kilda, he is still contracted as of today with the Crows, if St Kilda announce publicly that they will chase him hard at end of season, Sloane now knows that they are keen and he may not have even had a conversation with them - this is just an example.

This would have been happening for ages - managers would be speaking with managers "off the record" without really doing anything wrong.
hola acabo de hacer que el yo se resuelve lo que este los medios en español
TEX07
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 140 times
Been liked: 49 times
Grassroots Team: Golden Grove

Postby Dogwatcher » Wed May 27, 2015 2:13 pm

I can't see much in it, no matter how much people want to get into Triggy.
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby Q. » Wed May 27, 2015 2:15 pm

Nothing in it. When Mick left Collingwood he did his best to rip the club apart and he's just trying to do the same here.
Q.
Coach

Has liked: 970 times
Been liked: 2396 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

Postby LaughingKookaburra » Wed May 27, 2015 4:50 pm

You would think that if this "stitch up" occurred at the time Mick says it did then the AFL would have found out when they did the full audit of Adelaide after the Tippett issue when they were trying to find anything irregular with player contracts and payments. The AFL would have to only look through their own records....
Can you bring a man to his feet when defeat is on repeat?
LaughingKookaburra
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 740 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

Postby Spargo » Wed May 27, 2015 5:10 pm

Dont worry, there's plenty of us out here that hope Trigg & the crows didn't learn the first time around with Tippett.
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ
2024 champ, Spargo’s Good Friday Cup @ Ascot

I’ll wait for an angel, but I won’t hold my breath
‘Magine they’re busy, think I’m doin’ ok…
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5476 times
Been liked: 5118 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby JK » Wed May 27, 2015 6:51 pm

Wouldn't have been any point in him signing anything whilst contracted to Carlton. As a RF the Crows had no say if Carlton had decided to match the offer.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4458 times
Been liked: 2986 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby Grahaml » Thu May 28, 2015 3:03 pm

How could the Crows possibly have had him signed back then? How could he have signed anything binding that the Crows could enforce when his FA came up? And as pointed out, he was a restricted agent anyway. If Malthouse was serious upset at losing Betts he should have asked Carlton why they wouldn't match the deal. Also the AFL should now be asking why Mick wouldn't go to them if he knew of such a deal. Especially given the Tippett Saga brought this to the forefront years ago.

Ultimately Trigg's version makes far, far more sense than Mick's. Almost always the more logical version is the true one. I'm tipping a strong retraction from Mick very, very soon.
Grahaml
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 169 times

Postby woodublieve12 » Thu May 28, 2015 3:23 pm

Grahaml wrote:How could the Crows possibly have had him signed back then? How could he have signed anything binding that the Crows could enforce when his FA came up? And as pointed out, he was a restricted agent anyway. If Malthouse was serious upset at losing Betts he should have asked Carlton why they wouldn't match the deal. Also the AFL should now be asking why Mick wouldn't go to them if he knew of such a deal. Especially given the Tippett Saga brought this to the forefront years ago.

Ultimately Trigg's version makes far, far more sense than Mick's. Almost always the more logical version is the true one. I'm tipping a strong retraction from Mick very, very soon.

i guess there is a first for everything ;)
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Has liked: 3025 times
Been liked: 2398 times

Postby Footy Smart » Mon Jun 01, 2015 11:56 am

Thoughts on Saturday nights game? IMO effort was there from everyone, we still kicked the ball terribly and had the yips infornt of goal . Had our chances to win the game but didnt. Thats why we are a side pushing for the 8 and not cementing ourselves.

Young Lever apart from his cross goal chip to Balentine just oozes talent. The pup he sold under pressure in the last shows his composure. fingers crossed the injuries stay away from him for a while so he can kep developing at the top level.

IMO Walsh got out coached in the last qtr. All game both sides had a plus one in defence. In the last, Lyon moved Ibbotson up to the contest and we left Cheney back inside 50. This meant they kept hammering the ball inside 50 and we couldnt get the thing back past half way. We needed to man up at the stoppage and try and win the game 1 on 1. Missed opportunity!
Footy Smart
Coach

Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 118 times
Grassroots Team: Modbury

Postby JK » Mon Jun 01, 2015 12:05 pm

Im not a big Crows fan, but I thought the game was outstanding the other night, and Adelaide delivered a performance I didn't think they were capable of without Sloane, Douglas, Smith etc. Probably the second most enjoyable game Ive watched this season (just behind Kangaroos v Port).

Thought Lynch made some costly errors in the last quarter, and the Crows body language didn't quite look the same as the previous 3 quarters - Looked either a lack of belief, or that they'd cashed in their petrol tickets over the previous 3 quarters.

Lever looked exceptionally promising, really think the Crows have a good one on their hands here. Kelly continues to play above the expectations I had of him. Cheney was excellent back there. Thought Martin provided some oomph in the 2nd and 3rd with just plain honest effort, Betts continued on kicking goals out of his butt, and the Dangerfield v Fyfe clash was one of the purest Ive seen in years, worth watching the game jsut for that contest alone.

Fremantle, well, they're playing like a team that expects to win every game, and they have the players to kick the crunch goals whereas Adelaide didn't. Think both clubs will take plenty from the game, given they have relatively different expectations at the moment.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4458 times
Been liked: 2986 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby bennymacca » Mon Jun 01, 2015 12:47 pm

JK wrote:Im not a big Crows fan, but I thought the game was outstanding the other night, and Adelaide delivered a performance I didn't think they were capable of without Sloane, Douglas, Smith etc. Probably the second most enjoyable game Ive watched this season (just behind Kangaroos v Port).

Thought Lynch made some costly errors in the last quarter, and the Crows body language didn't quite look the same as the previous 3 quarters - Looked either a lack of belief, or that they'd cashed in their petrol tickets over the previous 3 quarters.

Lever looked exceptionally promising, really think the Crows have a good one on their hands here. Kelly continues to play above the expectations I had of him. Cheney was excellent back there. Thought Martin provided some oomph in the 2nd and 3rd with just plain honest effort, Betts continued on kicking goals out of his butt, and the Dangerfield v Fyfe clash was one of the purest Ive seen in years, worth watching the game jsut for that contest alone.

Fremantle, well, they're playing like a team that expects to win every game, and they have the players to kick the crunch goals whereas Adelaide didn't. Think both clubs will take plenty from the game, given they have relatively different expectations at the moment.

Agree on everything you said here.

And you are right about the last quarter - the crows were hoping to get over the line, Freo just expected that they would. You even got that feeling in the crowd too - might be the happiest I have ever seen a crows crowd after a loss. Though to be fair I was about a dozen pints deep at the time so I could have been misreading the vibe a bit :D

It was also a fair reflection of where the two sides are at - the crows had to play out of the skins to take it up to Freo, and for the most part they did that. But besides betts we lacked a bit of class, particularly in front of goal.

If we can put in those sorts of performances every we will surely make finals, but in the end we really should have won that game.
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby Rik E Boy » Mon Jun 01, 2015 12:50 pm

I think you can make the eight. I reckon you are better than group of clubs just outside the top eight as well as Collingwood and Richmond who are both in.

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Has liked: 1698 times
Been liked: 1818 times

Postby Booney » Mon Jun 01, 2015 12:59 pm

Running at 58% disposal efficiency will hurt against average sides let alone the top sides and 2.8 from 10 set shots will kill you against anyone, not just the best sides. Sure the pressure Fremantle create ( real and perceived ) probably brings most sides efficiency crashing down.

Lever does look a ripper, get 3-5kg of muscle on him and he's set for a long career. Couple him with Talia and Shaw ( who I think is also a promising tall backman ) and the likes of Kelly (another likely type), Hartigan, Smith, Brown, Laird etc and clearly the defensively minded Walsh is building from the back.

He inherited a pretty good forward half with Walker, Betts, Jenkins and the mids in Danger, Sloane etc so not a lot to do there.

If Adelaide were cleaner against Port and Fremantle they'd be 8 points better off on the ladder and that's frustrating,I'm sure. If you don't get the ball, you can't use it,but when you do get it and burn it that's opportunity lost and with how even this year is you can't afford to waste opportunities.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7488 times
Been liked: 10772 times

Postby bennymacca » Mon Jun 01, 2015 1:15 pm

Booney wrote:Running at 58% disposal efficiency will hurt against average sides let alone the top sides and 2.8 from 10 set shots will kill you against anyone, not just the best sides. Sure the pressure Fremantle create ( real and perceived ) probably brings most sides efficiency crashing down.

Lever does look a ripper, get 3-5kg of muscle on him and he's set for a long career. Couple him with Talia and Shaw ( who I think is also a promising tall backman ) and the likes of Kelly (another likely type), Hartigan, Smith, Brown, Laird etc and clearly the defensively minded Walsh is building from the back.

He inherited a pretty good forward half with Walker, Betts, Jenkins and the mids in Danger, Sloane etc so not a lot to do there.

If Adelaide were cleaner against Port and Fremantle they'd be 8 points better off on the ladder and that's frustrating,I'm sure. If you don't get the ball, you can't use it,but when you do get it and burn it that's opportunity lost and with how even this year is you can't afford to waste opportunities.

good post.

Also why I like mitch grigg finally getting a few games in a row under his belt, and more importantly taking that opportunity. He is one that can use the ball well in the forward half - Jaensch and Smith and Mackay use it pretty well coming off half back, but it has been that inside 50 kick that has let us down
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby Footy Smart » Mon Jun 01, 2015 1:23 pm

Yep Boon your spot on DE has killed us, not just this year but last year as well. We were our own worst enemies, do all the hard work then turn the ball over and watch it sail through back over your head. Goal kicking has historically been a bit of an issue for AFC. Even walkers kicking has been hit and miss this year.

I did like Charlie Cameron's game as well, he did everything you want of a small FWD, needs to try and impact the scoreboard more but that will come.

Shaw offers plenty i think but he cant string the games together and when he does play he is always searching for form. I think now Kelly and Cheney have gone ahead of him in the medium defender possie. With otten also due back and hopefully fit we suddenly have some depth haha

As REB said we care capable of finishing in the 8 this year. But atm, the injuries shows our lack of depth through the mids and outside pace. Areas we have to find some young fellas in the coming drafts.
Footy Smart
Coach

Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 118 times
Grassroots Team: Modbury

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL