Southern Football League

A forum dedicated to the Southern Football League!

Re: Southern Football League

Postby afc9798 » Fri May 29, 2015 3:10 pm

Have only heard positive things about Steve Wallace. Big job ahead of him, but good to hear of big numbers out at training and hopefully this revitalises the group. I'm looking forward to the games this week and see if the positive feel flows on to the field.
afc9798
Reserves

Has liked: 25 times
Been liked: 47 times
Grassroots Team: Happy Valley

Postby Mister Footy » Sat May 30, 2015 6:12 pm

Vikings get the win over Brighton - good tight game with Steve Wallace having an influence already

Winners are grinners :D :D :D
Mister Footy
Under 18s

Has liked: 29 times
Been liked: 28 times

Postby Tiger Couple » Sun May 31, 2015 12:14 am

With a free Saturday I went around the corner and had a look at Hackham v Reynella. Went expecting a belting and to be honest Hackham gave a pretty decent account of themselves. They had a crack all day and applied some good pressure, however once they turned it over Reynella would open them up with pace and quick ball movement and with the size Reynella have inside 50 it is going to stretch most defenses.

25 Goals to 6 Goals is clearly a big margin but Hackham would have matched Reynella for effort, it is just lack of skill and size that hurt.
Tiger Couple
Under 16s

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 5 times

Postby shoe boy » Mon Jun 01, 2015 10:18 am

Association footy this w/end at artic park ](*,) thoughts?

I hear Hills have pulled out of Ass footy?
shoe boy
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 488 times
Been liked: 209 times

Postby Archer11 » Mon Jun 01, 2015 10:58 am

shoe boy wrote:Association footy this w/end at artic park ](*,) thoughts?

Isn't this the age old discussion point of why do we even play at this oval at all!!! I thought we were a grassroots competition anyway. Bring back the local venues just like the GSFL.

Too many players won't play unless money is involved !!!
Archer11

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time

Postby afc9798 » Mon Jun 01, 2015 1:54 pm

Archer11 wrote:

Isn't this the age old discussion point of why do we even play at this oval at all!!! I thought we were a grassroots competition anyway. Bring back the local venues just like the GSFL.

Agreed. Would far rather watch this at an SFL or GSFL club oval.
afc9798
Reserves

Has liked: 25 times
Been liked: 47 times

Postby Luke15 » Mon Jun 01, 2015 2:57 pm

Archer11 wrote:

I know for a fact Mitts tried to get the game played a local ground. Any ground in the SFL he wanted to play at to try and gain an advantage and get a better feel about the Association footy. The response he received from Warman and Co was about the following issues:

Easier for Crowd management and control regarding alcohol
financially made a commitment to SAFC with partnership and SFL offices being there.

Personally i reckon it is absolute crap that we have to have it at Hickenbotham oval, it is always cold, windy and a shit atmosphere. GSFL had it at Strathalbyn last year, how good would it have been to see a night Association game at Port Noarlunga??

Looking at the squad IF they can get their best side on the park then i reckon the Barbarians will be quite good. Any early predictions on who will play or not.
Luke15
Rookie

Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 18 times

Postby Down the Hill » Mon Jun 01, 2015 3:03 pm

I thought this years game was likely to be held at an SFL ground but the Port Noarlunga v Noarlunga Friday night game that went up against a South home game may have created some politics around the decision to play this weeks games at Hickinbotham. I'm happy for the GF day to stay at Hickinbotham because the crowd and traffic logistics has outgrown what any of our grounds can handle, however the crowd at an Association game is ideally suited for grounds that host minor SFL finals such as Porties, the Shoe, Bice or Aldinga. Plus it gives our blokes the sort of home ground advantage that we are entitled to as the host. Alcohol situation is surely a firthy. Morphett and Reynella play their big derbies every year to a larger crowd than Association games and the SFL and those clubs presumably manage alcohol/licensing issues.
Down the Hill
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 275 times
Grassroots Team: Brighton District & OS

Postby Luke15 » Mon Jun 01, 2015 3:13 pm

Down the Hill wrote:I thought this years game was likely to be held at an SFL ground but the Port Noarlunga v Noarlunga Friday night game that went up against a South home game may have created some politics around the decision to play this weeks games at Hickinbotham. I'm happy for the GF day to stay at Hickinbotham because the crowd and traffic logistics has outgrown what any of our grounds can handle, however the crowd at an Association game is ideally suited for grounds that host minor SFL finals such as Porties, the Shoe, Bice or Aldinga. Plus it gives our blokes the sort of home ground advantage that we are entitled to as the host. Alcohol situation is surely a firthy. Morphett and Reynella play their big derbies every year to a larger crowd than Association games and the SFL and those clubs presumably manage alcohol/licensing issues.

Very true DtH. I agree but it seems the SFL Board spend more time doing their Tribe FM commentary than actually doing their jobs and trying to do the right thing for the league and representing the SFL in a positive manner. The GSFL have taken the mickey out of the SFL for more than 5 years now because they are run so much more professionally.
Luke15
Rookie

Been liked: 18 times

Postby Look Good In Leather » Mon Jun 01, 2015 3:18 pm

Down the Hill wrote:...I'm happy for the GF day to stay at Hickinbotham because the crowd and traffic logistics has outgrown what any of our grounds can handle....

Has not grown since it has been at Hickinbotham
Look Good In Leather
League - Best 21

Has liked: 150 times
Been liked: 284 times
Grassroots Team: Christies Beach

Postby Look Good In Leather » Mon Jun 01, 2015 3:29 pm

Luke15 wrote:
Down the Hill wrote:I thought this years game was likely to be held at an SFL ground but the Port Noarlunga v Noarlunga Friday night game that went up against a South home game may have created some politics around the decision to play this weeks games at Hickinbotham. I'm happy for the GF day to stay at Hickinbotham because the crowd and traffic logistics has outgrown what any of our grounds can handle, however the crowd at an Association game is ideally suited for grounds that host minor SFL finals such as Porties, the Shoe, Bice or Aldinga. Plus it gives our blokes the sort of home ground advantage that we are entitled to as the host. Alcohol situation is surely a firthy. Morphett and Reynella play their big derbies every year to a larger crowd than Association games and the SFL and those clubs presumably manage alcohol/licensing issues.

Very true DtH. I agree but it seems the SFL Board spend more time doing their Tribe FM commentary than actually doing their jobs and trying to do the right thing for the league and representing the SFL in a positive manner. The GSFL have taken the mickey out of the SFL for more than 5 years now because they are run so much more professionally.

Funny comment, because we seem to run our league to appease the GSFL rather than our own clubs, eg.
  • Giving up home advantage for association games.
  • Letting them vote on our behalf at the SACFL even though we are the bigger league.
  • Playing our GF at an unappealing venue so that patrons attend their GF instead.
  • etc
Look Good In Leather
League - Best 21

Postby Down the Hill » Mon Jun 01, 2015 6:06 pm

LGIL, I can't agree with your constant wish to have the SFL Grand Final returned to a local ground. How would someone from Christies Beach have any idea what a Hickinbotham GF is like - for any grade. And I reckon the last 10 GF days before the move to SAFC were notably absent of any CB participation as well. So how can you compare the crowd and logistics of 1994 with now.
Down the Hill
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 275 times
Grassroots Team: Brighton District & OS

Postby ol man emu » Mon Jun 01, 2015 9:08 pm

The fact that there was a larger crowed at Port Noarlunga than Hickinbohtam on that Friday night
shows where the people would rather be.
Maybe South should play a game there.
How come every other Association can handle a crowd and traffic logistics at there own grounds but S.F.L. can't ?
How come G.S.F.L. can train at Hickinbotham but S.F.L. can't ?
EMUS? the rock stars of the outback.
emus are berserk. they run fast, playhard,
and to be honest, we admire their insanity.
ol man emu
Under 16s

Been liked: 7 times
Grassroots Team: Morphett Vale

Postby MatteeG » Mon Jun 01, 2015 10:22 pm

ol man emu wrote:How come G.S.F.L. can train at Hickinbotham but S.F.L. can't ?

Great question emu. Would it be because the GSFL is a wholly South zone whilst the SFL is a South/West/Glenelg zone?
helicopterking wrote:Flaggies will choke. Always have.
MatteeG
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 524 times
Been liked: 511 times
Grassroots Team: Flagstaff Hill

Postby Look Good In Leather » Mon Jun 01, 2015 11:39 pm

ol man emu wrote:How come G.S.F.L. can train at Hickinbotham but S.F.L. can't ?

I didn't know that the SFL could not, unaware of that story.

I have heard some stupid complaints about GSFL having access to the oval to train at. It's a neutral ground FFS, we have given up home ground advantage, they are in the SAFC zone, deal with it.
Look Good In Leather
League - Best 21

Postby Armytank » Tue Jun 02, 2015 12:28 pm

I hate Full Back.....................
Armytank
Under 18s

Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 21 times
Grassroots Team: Ironbank

Postby 1919 » Tue Jun 02, 2015 8:20 pm

What a joke, I'm so over bleeding heart Justices overturning cases such as this on appeal.

It's time some of those that attended to game (Townies supporters included) and claiming to have witnessed the incident offered to provide their account of the incident in a court so that the new magistrate can then use language that demonstrates it is not beyond reasonable doubt that it was a deliberate and brutal attack.

I've spoken personally with two who are adamant they witnessed it. Happy to provide those names to who ever is/ will be acting of Hearny's behalf
Rookie

Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 3 times

Postby Dazza44 » Wed Jun 03, 2015 1:45 am

ABSOLUTE JOKE !!!

Does Justice Nicholson know anything at all about the rules of the game ??? He talks about "he had employed a deliberate block that was within the rules of the game ... yet both parties agreed they were "about a kick" or "about 40 metres" away from the play. Any shepherd or block that far away is NOT within the rules of the game .

He only needed to look at the rules of the game ....
"A Shepherd is using the body or arm to push, bump or block:
(a) a Player who does not have possession of the football and who is
no further than 5 metres away from the football at the time when
the push, bump or block occurs; and
(b) where such contact is otherwise not Prohibited Contact under
Law 15.4.5."

QED
Dazza44
Rookie

Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 9 times
Grassroots Team: Flagstaff Hill

Postby tigerpie » Wed Jun 03, 2015 9:29 am

People I spoke to who were at the game said that although they didn't see the hit, they heard it from 60 metres away. That's not a "block"!
tigerpie
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 498 times
Been liked: 429 times

Postby shoe boy » Wed Jun 03, 2015 9:31 am

Who made the SFL squad?
shoe boy
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 488 times
Been liked: 209 times

PreviousNext