R8 - Centrals v Adelaide Reserves @ Elizabeth

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: R8 - Centrals v Adelaide Reserves @ Elizabeth

Postby Dogwatcher » Thu Jun 04, 2015 3:31 pm

Booney wrote:
Dogwatcher wrote:When Adelaide entered the AFL, football supporters all over the state dropped their previous club. Or chose to stay with their club. They didn't support both.

Depends on your definition of support though and that was 25 years ago. So the SANFL of 1994 differs to that of 2004 and certainly differs from that of 2015. 1994 numbers probably suggest many, many people did in fact support both.

Fair to suggest many people who lived through the wonderful era of the 70's and 80's are no longer with us. Gives them a pretty good excuse as to why they aren't showing up any more.

Dropped their previous AFL club.
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby bennymacca » Thu Jun 04, 2015 3:33 pm

whufc wrote:Not many 'true' 'loyal' fans over there have a big and small team, this is why a div2 side can still get 10-20k at a game depending on the club and city

yeah because its one big structure you would always support one team first, and if thats a lower team you might have a second team in the EPL that you follow casually.

But the SANFL and AFL is different

pretty sure the Barcelona reserves team plays in the spanish second division, so that might be a similar situation.
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby whufc » Thu Jun 04, 2015 3:35 pm

bennymacca wrote:
whufc wrote:Not many 'true' 'loyal' fans over there have a big and small team, this is why a div2 side can still get 10-20k at a game depending on the club and city

yeah because its one big structure you would always support one team first, and if thats a lower team you might have a second team in the EPL that you follow casually.

But the SANFL and AFL is different

pretty sure the Barcelona reserves team plays in the spanish second division, so that might be a similar situation.

Your correct about the Spanish system

I don't know a single person who follows a second English football club casually. I think you will find most still follow their local club (which enables a rabble like west ham will never win a thing be confident to move to a 50k stadium) and there is no way they would support a local rival and they couldn't give a crap about a team from outside their city

I find its a lot the opposite and supporters of lower clubs actually don't like the commercial nature of the big leagues
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5589 times
Been liked: 2531 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby bennymacca » Thu Jun 04, 2015 3:38 pm

So a person that has a team that is in say Div 2 just wont even bother with the premier league? Reckon they would at least follow someone casually, as a lot of you SANFL first fans might still take a passing interest in the AFL

whufc wrote:I find its a lot the opposite and supporters of lower clubs actually don't like the commercial nature of the big leagues

I reckon thats one of the main advantages of the lower leagues - you can still feel much more connected - even little things like going to the huddle at half time or kicking the footy on the oval at quarter breaks (shit can you even do those things anymore at the SANFL?)
bennymacca
Coach

Postby UK Fan » Thu Jun 04, 2015 3:43 pm

cennals05 wrote:I don't really care what anyone wears to the football. Nobody seems to make a fuss when someone wears a Hawthorn or Essendon colours to an SANFL game. It seems to only be a problem if it's the Crows or Power. Maybe those last week that had both colours on were going to the Crows game afterwards. It's not a big deal. As much as I would love the Crows to have no supporters the reality is that people are going to support an SANFL club and an AFL club. Given the crowds we are getting at SANFL I don't think alienating these supporters is helpful.

And I would definitely wear Centrals gear to a Crows game if I was forced to go to one.

So you'd go to a crows game if forced in red white and blue cos you support cdfc and cant stand AFC.

Sounds fair to me infact I'd do the same
fester69 wrote: I'm full of "pish and wind" !!You can call me weak !!

MW wrote: Well call me a special asshole!.

Booney wrote: I'm a happy clapper **** stick.

THE SKY HAS FALLEN!!!!
UK Fan
Coach

Has liked: 1202 times
Been liked: 502 times

Postby whufc » Thu Jun 04, 2015 3:46 pm

bennymacca wrote:So a person that has a team that is in say Div 2 just wont even bother with the premier league? Reckon they would at least follow someone casually, as a lot of you SANFL first fans might still take a passing interest in the AFL

whufc wrote:I find its a lot the opposite and supporters of lower clubs actually don't like the commercial nature of the big leagues

I reckon thats one of the main advantages of the lower leagues - you can still feel much more connected - even little things like going to the huddle at half time or kicking the footy on the oval at quarter breaks (shit can you even do those things anymore at the SANFL?)

No a person won't follow a big club

Could u imagine Milwall fans supporting West Ham, Chelsea or Arsenal in the big league at most they will support the team they play every week

You have to remember that teams in the lower div may have played bigger clubs in cup fixtures, met in the same league etc so there are genuine rivalries with teams in other divisions, countries etc where up until recently Centrals had never play Adelaide in a serious game before

Your real far of the mark here imho
Last edited by whufc on Thu Jun 04, 2015 3:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
whufc
Coach

Postby tipper » Thu Jun 04, 2015 3:49 pm

UK Fan wrote:
cennals05 wrote:I don't really care what anyone wears to the football. Nobody seems to make a fuss when someone wears a Hawthorn or Essendon colours to an SANFL game. It seems to only be a problem if it's the Crows or Power. Maybe those last week that had both colours on were going to the Crows game afterwards. It's not a big deal. As much as I would love the Crows to have no supporters the reality is that people are going to support an SANFL club and an AFL club. Given the crowds we are getting at SANFL I don't think alienating these supporters is helpful.

And I would definitely wear Centrals gear to a Crows game if I was forced to go to one.

So you'd go to a crows game if forced in red white and blue cos you support cdfc and cant stand AFC.

Sounds fair to me infact I'd do the same

i went to a power vs freo game wearing north gear a couple of seasons ago (was waiting for the north labrador foxtel cup game which was afterwards). was great fun paying out the power supporters (sadly there werent many freo supporters there). its obvious the afl fans in adelaide are no longer used to having opposition supporters at their games. was priceless watching their reactions when i got into them :lol:
tipper
League - Top 5

Has liked: 359 times
Been liked: 531 times
Grassroots Team: Peake

Postby RB » Thu Jun 04, 2015 3:53 pm

CUTTERMAN wrote:
RB wrote:
CUTTERMAN wrote:I've always thought it was a bit rich for SANFL supporters to take the high moral ground about AFL reserves sides in the SANFL while more than happy for their AFL reserves side to f*** up another state comp with their reserves team.

Bulls&%$. No-one is happy with their AFL teams' reserves sides screwing over any league. I don't know why anyone would draw that conclusion.

Really? Haven't spoken to many Power supporters recently then.

You were referring to Victorian AFL sides...
R.I.P. the SANFL 1877 - 2013
RB
Coach

Has liked: 767 times
Been liked: 1075 times

Postby Jim05 » Thu Jun 04, 2015 4:00 pm

bennymacca wrote:So a person that has a team that is in say Div 2 just wont even bother with the premier league? Reckon they would at least follow someone casually, as a lot of you SANFL first fans might still take a passing interest in the AFL

No the majority dont care about the EPL.
The people who support lower league clubs usually do so because of family or home town alliances, much more territorial. They usually couldnt give a stuff about the higher leagues and definately wouldnt have a second side.
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1126 times
Been liked: 3553 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby whufc » Thu Jun 04, 2015 4:05 pm

Jim05 wrote:

No the majority dont care about the EPL.
The people who support lower league clubs usually do so because of family or home town alliances, much more territorial. They usually couldnt give a stuff about the higher leagues and definately wouldnt have a second side.

If I even hinted to my old boy or mates that I was gonna have 'Southampton' while west ham were in the championship I would have been destroyed.
whufc
Coach

Postby bennymacca » Thu Jun 04, 2015 4:05 pm

Fair enough.

Well it just confirms how much weirder this situation is
bennymacca
Coach

Postby whufc » Thu Jun 04, 2015 4:05 pm

bennymacca wrote:Fair enough.

As you mentioned it's probably slightly comparable to the Spanish system

Which the big English clubs have gently tried to hint at implementing, at this stage it has been shut down the smaller clubs and the fans
whufc
Coach

Postby bennymacca » Thu Jun 04, 2015 4:08 pm

What actually happens to all of the EPL players that don't get a game every week?
bennymacca
Coach

Postby Jim05 » Thu Jun 04, 2015 4:12 pm

whufc wrote:
bennymacca wrote:Fair enough.

As you mentioned it's probably slightly comparable to the Spanish system

Which the big English clubs have gently tried to hint at implementing, at this stage it has been shut down the smaller clubs and the fans

Similar setups in other Euro leagues aswell.
Pretty sure Bundesliga clubs reserves are not allowed higher than div 3
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1126 times
Been liked: 3553 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby whufc » Thu Jun 04, 2015 4:16 pm

bennymacca wrote:What actually happens to all of the EPL players that don't get a game every week?

Either play in the reserves comp which has its own promotion/relegation division system, which is the same for the development squad and u/18 squad

Some would be loaned out to other clubs throughout the world
whufc
Coach

Postby Jase » Thu Jun 04, 2015 4:39 pm

whufc wrote:
bennymacca wrote:What actually happens to all of the EPL players that don't get a game every week?

Either play in the reserves comp which has its own promotion/relegation division system, which is the same for the development squad and u/18 squad

Some would be loaned out to other clubs throughout the world

...and some would just sit on the @rse earning 100K per week...

:D
Jase
League - Best 21

Has liked: 1480 times
Been liked: 552 times

Postby johntheclaret » Thu Jun 04, 2015 5:42 pm

bennymacca wrote:
Dogwatcher wrote:TBH, I can't think of too many other competitions in the world where Benny Mac would be faced with such a dilemma.

Possibly english football, where you supported a smaller local team, and also the bigger premier league team, but then your smaller team makes it to the premier league ala Bournemouth.

But in that circumstance you probably always subconsciously rank them because there is always that possibility.
That is also both team's A grade playing against each other though, not a reserves vs an A grade, so its not quite the same still.

RB wrote:
CUTTERMAN wrote:I've always thought it was a bit rich for SANFL supporters to take the high moral ground about AFL reserves sides in the SANFL while more than happy for their AFL reserves side to f*** up another state comp with their reserves team.

Bulls&%$. No-one is happy with their AFL teams' reserves sides screwing over any league. I don't know why anyone would draw that conclusion.

Plenty of people around telling the crows to "piss off to the ammos" - basically a NIMBY response.

Sorry Benny. You nearly had me until you played the "small club & premiership" card.
No one supports 2 clubs in the same league. Personally I find it hard to comprehend how anyone can really support 2 clubs of the same code.
North is my club....end of. I used to say I supported Carlton I the VFL but in reality it was little more than a passing interest. It didn't make me angry when they threw away a game and it didn't hurt when they lost. Looking out for their scores in the paper doesn't make you a supporter.

I have two sporting passions in my life. North Adelaide and Burnley FC. I couldn't give a rats arse about any other Aussie Rules club or any other Soccer club and hence I will never have a dilemma of having 2 teams in the same comp. Anyone who says they support Man U and Bournemouth is talking crap. Your heart can only be in one place.
Port was possibly the only exception before the reserves.
johntheclaret
Coach

Has liked: 409 times
Been liked: 580 times

Postby bennymacca » Thu Jun 04, 2015 6:01 pm

You dont have a local footy club that you used to play for, or your kids play for etc?

I think its easy to support a club at each "level" - grass roots, semi-professional, professional. and usually, in aussie rules at least, those clubs never come into contact with each other, so there is no conflict there.

you probably have one of those clubs that you follow more than the others though. For me that club has changed, probably went from Freeling to Centrals to the Crows as i have moved away from playing, to watching my cousin play, to purely just watching.

My EPL analogy seems to not be a very good one, but as we have discussed its different anyway as the lines are very much blurred between each grade etc.
bennymacca
Coach

Postby CENTURION » Thu Jun 04, 2015 6:19 pm

what have I done????
Member No. 988 & PROUD to sponsor The CDFC!!
CENTURION
Coach

Has liked: 204 times
Been liked: 112 times
Grassroots Team: Salisbury

Postby twosheds » Thu Jun 04, 2015 6:42 pm

CENTURION wrote:what have I done????

Ha Ha ; probably made Benny get firm as he has managed to affirm his "love" for both teams. Rob Chapman et al would love him !
Get your own Arts Show ya fairy !
twosheds
Under 16s

Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 18 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL