ASX

Anything!

Re: ASX

Postby gadj1976 » Thu Sep 03, 2009 8:48 pm

gadj1976 wrote:
devilsadvocate wrote:
gadj1976 wrote:It's gone up to 19.30 today so that's a good start. If it stays up I might rid of them and move back to mining. My mining shares are still not even half what they were when I purchased them.

The banks here in London are all up 5-15% today, so you should see another decent gain in ANZ and other banks tomorrow. Beware the risks around ANZ's business in Asia - could be some writedowns via secondary exposure to the US. WBC and CBA are the safest bank and NAB has already had a big write down. Although WBC

Sounds like my strategy - taking a short term profit on financials and shifting back into the miners for the med - long term. Keep hold of your miners - if they have good assets, they'll return to favour soon enough.

Thanks DA, don't worry I'm going in with eyes wide open. I expect them to rise in the short term then fall again maybe even more then my buy price.

ANZ dropped to about 13.50 but are now 21.15. All smiles here.

However, my mining shares are still at 3.9 cents, down from $1.54 buy price :(
gadj1976
Coach

Has liked: 795 times
Been liked: 849 times

Postby devilsadvocate » Wed Sep 09, 2009 2:18 pm

johnny_tightlips wrote:I got in cause they were going up and I got rid of them becuase i had no idea why they were going up and it looked like they were about to go down.
FYI - When i play with the penny dreadfuls it more like gambling than investing ;)

I also remember trading PDN and FMG. Got pdn at around 4.0 and sold at about 6. Got onto FMG at about $1 after the share split and got out at just under $2. They went to $12 :(

Wow, you were onto PDN early!

I did try a strategy of buying shares with decent volume at 0.001. That way the only way was up right? It worked a couple of times, but I had to hold for too long and lost interest. It was too risky putting in enough money to make it worthwhile too.
devilsadvocate
Coach

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 0 time

Postby Pumba » Thu Sep 17, 2009 1:54 pm

dus anyone know anything about PYM? have doubled in price over the last 6 months or so and at 10c seem like they have a fair bit of potential?
Pumba
Rookie

Has liked: 0 time

Postby WestIndiesWonder24 » Thu Sep 17, 2009 9:52 pm

Anyone know much about AGL Energy shares.....THink they have some great stuff in the pipeline????
WestIndiesWonder24
League - Top 5

Grassroots Team: United Aboriginal

Postby Q. » Wed Jun 03, 2015 11:10 pm

bump

anyone been active lately, where's your interest been?

I was thinking of selling off my Nufarm shares (gone up 30%) and re-investing in something with a history of better dividend returns.

Would have loved to have got on James Hardie last year.
Q.
Coach

Has liked: 970 times
Been liked: 2396 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

Postby HH3 » Fri Jun 05, 2015 4:53 pm

I've been looking at getting into investing for a fair few years. Worked at a financial planning firm about 7 years ago which got me interested.

Now looking into it seriously.

What would the minimum original outlay be to get into the market?

I just want to start small. Invest in some proven performers, just to learn and not lose too much, if any, over the next year or so.
I TOLD YOU SO

2013/14 NFL Tipping Comp Champion
HH3
Coach

Has liked: 3301 times
Been liked: 2432 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby Mythical Creature » Fri Jun 05, 2015 5:21 pm

Q. wrote:bump

anyone been active lately, where's your interest been?

I was thinking of selling off my Nufarm shares (gone up 30%) and re-investing in something with a history of better dividend returns.

Would have loved to have got on James Hardie last year.

Normally buy a parcel to add to my collection each year. Last year I bought TCL (Transurban) and looks to be a wise move so far. Year before I bought CDA (Codan) was a stupid move, chasing dividends which were about 10%. About a week after I bought them at $1.50 ish they announced new dividends which were scaled right back and they dropped by 50%. For some reason I have still hung on to them and they have come back a little. Luckily it was the smallest parcel I've ever bought as I only bought $1,500 worth.

Just recently took part in the NAB offer which was a no brainer to get more shares with no brokerage. With these being DRP that should speed things along with them nicely.

Im buying a decent chunk of a private company in the next month, so if there is anything left over I might look at buying a small parcel of something. Probably look at a utility maybe DUE (Duet) but I will need to do some more research first. ANN (Ansell) has been on my radar the last couple of years and I keep overlooking it. Probably should have another decent look at that again too.

I'm not much of a seller, in fact never sold so I'm obviously buy and hold so looking for relatively stable shares.
If you don't like it, change it. If you don't want to change it, it can't be that bad!
Mythical Creature
Veteran

Has liked: 189 times
Been liked: 237 times
Grassroots Team: United

Postby Mythical Creature » Fri Jun 05, 2015 5:23 pm

HH3 wrote:I've been looking at getting into investing for a fair few years. Worked at a financial planning firm about 7 years ago which got me interested.

Now looking into it seriously.

What would the minimum original outlay be to get into the market?

I just want to start small. Invest in some proven performers, just to learn and not lose too much, if any, over the next year or so.

Everyone talks about diversification which is hard to do with 1 parcel of shares. Maybe look at LIC's such as ARG or AFI to get you started or a low cost ETF such as the Vanguard series.
If you don't like it, change it. If you don't want to change it, it can't be that bad!
Mythical Creature
Veteran

Postby HH3 » Fri Jun 05, 2015 8:05 pm

So about $1000-$1500 to start? If i put that much in, i probably would look at putting it into a couple of companies.

When I was working in admin at the finacial planning place, the director got me to manage his super. He had some shares in just about every company on the market. Crazy stuff.
I TOLD YOU SO

2013/14 NFL Tipping Comp Champion
HH3
Coach

Has liked: 3301 times
Been liked: 2432 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby Q. » Fri Jun 05, 2015 9:20 pm

HH3 wrote:So about $1000-$1500 to start? If i put that much in, i probably would look at putting it into a couple of companies.

When I was working in admin at the finacial planning place, the director got me to manage his super. He had some shares in just about every company on the market. Crazy stuff.

I'd put that lot into Argo. Then activate their Dividend Reinvestment Plan (DRP), whereby every time they pay out a dividend, it gets reinvested into more Argo shares without any fees.

Then save up another $1500 ASAP and invest in AFIC shares + DRP.

That will be a fairly safe start. Start reading whatever you can about the share market and investing.

Invest, then save up more to invest. Repeat.
Q.
Coach

Postby Q. » Fri Jun 05, 2015 9:56 pm

Mythical Creature wrote:Normally buy a parcel to add to my collection each year. Last year I bought TCL (Transurban) and looks to be a wise move so far. Year before I bought CDA (Codan) was a stupid move, chasing dividends which were about 10%. About a week after I bought them at $1.50 ish they announced new dividends which were scaled right back and they dropped by 50%. For some reason I have still hung on to them and they have come back a little. Luckily it was the smallest parcel I've ever bought as I only bought $1,500 worth.

Just recently took part in the NAB offer which was a no brainer to get more shares with no brokerage. With these being DRP that should speed things along with them nicely.

Im buying a decent chunk of a private company in the next month, so if there is anything left over I might look at buying a small parcel of something. Probably look at a utility maybe DUE (Duet) but I will need to do some more research first. ANN (Ansell) has been on my radar the last couple of years and I keep overlooking it. Probably should have another decent look at that again too.

I'm not much of a seller, in fact never sold so I'm obviously buy and hold so looking for relatively stable shares.

Why Ansell? Just looking for some diversity?
Q.
Coach

Postby Pseudo » Fri Jun 05, 2015 11:11 pm

Is that Ansell as in the manufacturer of frangers?

So the next time I get my old fella away I'll be bolstering MC's dividend?

What a deflating thought...
Clowns OUT. Smears OUT. RESIST THE OCCUPATION.
Pseudo
Coach

Been liked: 1553 times
Grassroots Team: Marion

Postby Mythical Creature » Sat Jun 06, 2015 9:07 am

Pseudo wrote:Is that Ansell as in the manufacturer of frangers?

So the next time I get my old fella away I'll be bolstering MC's dividend?

What a deflating thought...

Diversity q.

If you wanna think of me every time you shoot your wad off, as long as you are comfortable with it! ;)

Think hospitals, cleaners etc. and gloves, hair nets, ohs etc. Also most of their leading products are all disposable items so you need to keep buying more creating a company with lots of consistent cash flow.
Mythical Creature
Veteran

Postby Q. » Thu Nov 12, 2015 4:35 pm

Anyone with Santos shares considering taking up their Entitlement Offer?

After they released details of the offer, their share price plummeted again, and the offer of shares @ $3.85 isn't a great deal less than their current price. But it's kind of tempting to grab a few at that price as they haven't been that low in 15 years.
Q.
Coach

Postby Q. » Fri Dec 18, 2015 10:08 am

Jumped on board A2M recently in the hopes that their foray into the Chinese infant formula market turns into a profitable one, they've jumped 20% today so will be watching that closely.

Watching the medical marijuana situation closely. It will be interesting to see what price Auscann opens up at next year.
Q.
Coach

Postby gadj1976 » Sun Dec 20, 2015 11:29 am

Q. wrote:Anyone with Santos shares considering taking up their Entitlement Offer?

After they released details of the offer, their share price plummeted again, and the offer of shares @ $3.85 isn't a great deal less than their current price. But it's kind of tempting to grab a few at that price as they haven't been that low in 15 years.

Hey Q. I worked there recently. I don't know much about their situation however the boffins internally were expecting oil to stay around 35 dollars a barrel for the rest of the year because the market is flooded with oil from all over the globe. Santos apparently have sold their oil at a fixed price well above 35 dollars a barrel so despite the share price, they expect their profit margin to increase.

Not sure on the impact of the GLNG plant in Qld will have. They're producing but I don't know the exact numbers and I don't know if that's as per expectation or not. Their website would be able to tell you if production is as forecast.

Also, they were saying internally that the business is set up to work and be profitable at 70 bucks a barrel (oil price). They've undertaken huge cuts there and they have a new CEO starting 1 Feb. So all things considered, I don't think their price will return to 15 dollars any time soon, but you'd think 4 dollars a share is a bit low all things considered.
gadj1976
Coach

Has liked: 795 times
Been liked: 849 times

Postby Q. » Sun Dec 20, 2015 11:42 am

gadj1976 wrote:
Q. wrote:Anyone with Santos shares considering taking up their Entitlement Offer?

Hey Q. I worked there recently. I don't know much about their situation however the boffins internally were expecting oil to stay around 35 dollars a barrel for the rest of the year because the market is flooded with oil from all over the globe. Santos apparently have sold their oil at a fixed price well above 35 dollars a barrel so despite the share price, they expect their profit margin to increase.

Not sure on the impact of the GLNG plant in Qld will have. They're producing but I don't know the exact numbers and I don't know if that's as per expectation or not. Their website would be able to tell you if production is as forecast.

Also, they were saying internally that the business is set up to work and be profitable at 70 bucks a barrel (oil price). They've undertaken huge cuts there and they have a new CEO starting 1 Feb. So all things considered, I don't think their price will return to 15 dollars any time soon, but you'd think 4 dollars a share is a bit low all things considered.

Much appreciated info. I think I'll buy a handful at the current price to hopefully offset the original purchase and bank on the price rising somewhere in between in the future. Then sell and put the money into something other than fossil fuels.
Q.
Coach

Postby The Bedge » Mon Dec 21, 2015 9:15 am

Entitlement offer for employees expired a bit over a week ago now, approx 57% of employees took up the offer.

Now is not a bad time to buy, anticipate seeing improve towards the back of 2016 towards Q2 2017.. If you're happy to hold on that long..
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3188 times
Been liked: 3989 times

Postby Q. » Mon Dec 21, 2015 9:39 am

Yeah, I'll hold until I can get out without losing.
Q.
Coach

Postby The Bedge » Mon Dec 21, 2015 9:50 am

gadj1976 wrote:Santos apparently have sold their oil at a fixed price well above 35 dollars a barrel so despite the share price, they expect their profit margin to increase.

Hmm yes and no..
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3188 times
Been liked: 3989 times

PreviousNext

Board index   General Talk  General Discussion