The 2015 Attendance Comparisons Thread

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: The 2015 Attendance Comparisons Thread

Postby csbowes » Wed May 20, 2015 12:44 am

Part 4.

Sturt Football Club posting on Facebook at 1339h on 15 May 15 :-

Let’s get on with it
In light of recent negative media regarding SANFL crowd figures and other issues, we thought we would take this opportunity to let you know our thoughts within the Club.
At Sturt, our crowds are consistent with last year and our away crowds have had a huge contingent of Sturt supporters, in particular at Noarlunga and Alberton where we looked to have outnumbered the locals.
Further to this, our membership numbers are above last years and our sponsorship is consistent with last year.
We are in good shape.
The experience at Peter Motley Oval with the variety of food (Vietnamese, Indian, BBQ, Thai & more traditional footy food), after match entertainment, Bluey Balfour, the mascot providing giveaways to children at each home match, the two children’s playgrounds, face painters, balloons, new picket fence, and renovated club rooms makes for a very entertaining day.
Add to this some excellent performances from the boys on their home deck and you have to ask: where would you rather be on a Saturday or Sunday afternoon! This morning’s edition of The Advertiser featured an article in which Garry Hocking, former AFL player and current Port Adelaide Magpie Coach notes that the competition is of a high standard and continues to improve.
Our players all attend after match presentations which is also very well attended by our supporters and is a great way to end a day at the footy.
Instead of focusing on the negatives or complaining about the competition, we strongly believe each club has a duty to see what they can do to make match day experiences better.
Sturt Football Club is committed to contributing positively to the SANFL competition today and in the future.
See you at Peter Motley Oval this Sunday!

I think its commendable that Sturt have gone public with a comment. Regardless of whether one agrees, disagrees, whatever with what has been stated, at least some sort of comment has been made.

I don't necessarily agree with the "but I'm alright Jack" response the above implies, but at least it's something. Even better if they had chosen to copy and paste that back to me, just to appear considerate.

Overall I think the clubs have been caught out by the poor crowds, but are not confident about coming out to defend their brand or their previous decisions. I think they're probably just hoping it will get better.

However, if people feel like I do, then I think the decision to bring the AFL teams in has killed the league. If they had been kicked out at the end of last year, I could forsee a recovery. But even if the teams are removed now, I think the fire and interest in some fans is already gone.

For myself, all I know is that I used to travel about 3,500km or more a year to see Sturt games. Now I see very few. At the same time, I don't miss a single A-League game anymore. Knock, knock Mr SANFL Marketing Person, any concerns here?
csbowes
League - Best 21

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 77 times

Postby on the rails » Wed May 20, 2015 12:53 am

Ohh good on Sturt for their comments and their proactively re match day experience but if they were struggling on field I can bet their numbers at matches and after would suffer as do all struggling clubs.
Piss weak SANFL and the CLOWNS who run it.
on the rails
League - Top 5

Has liked: 79 times
Been liked: 83 times

Postby heater31 » Wed May 20, 2015 9:41 am

on the rails wrote:Ohh good on Sturt for their comments and their proactively re match day experience but if they were struggling on field I can bet their numbers at matches and after would suffer as do all struggling clubs.

Well at least they are making hay whilst the sun shines.......with good on field performances can hopefully translate people sticking around when they are maybe not performing on the field.

Where the problem now lies is with the two bastard children of the league dragging the rest of the competition down.
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1259 times

Postby CUTTERMAN » Wed May 20, 2015 10:42 am

Good on you CS for going to the trouble of writing to all concerned. I've thought about writing to Sturt and Jake Parkinson about my concerns and direction of the comp. However once I heard the dribble that came from him and the SANFL regarding crowd numbers being down I wondered why the f*** anyone would bother. I had hoped that we had someone with a backbone and someone who would stand strong for the SANFL.
Obviously not.
'PAFC don't want any advantages in the SANFL. It would only take away from any achievements we earned.'
Keith Thomas ABC 891 Radio, 21/6/14.
CUTTERMAN
League - Top 5

Has liked: 213 times
Been liked: 124 times

Postby Pseudo » Wed May 20, 2015 12:22 pm

csbowes wrote:Glenelg

Did not respond.

[...]

In addition, I think it would have been courteous to at least tell me they cannot comment. Just ignoring my query, which I think was written pretty fairly and without much prejudice, is a bit unreasonable on their part.

Over the last couple of years I have sent a number of queries to Glenelg by email, either directly or via the interface on the club website. These emails have been fairly mundane: membership issues, enquiries about match-day facilities, etc. I have not had a reply to one of these queries. So don't take it personally; Glenelg appears to be as crap off the field as on it.
Clowns OUT. Smears OUT. RESIST THE OCCUPATION.
Pseudo
Coach

Been liked: 1553 times
Grassroots Team: Marion

Postby o five » Wed May 20, 2015 4:58 pm

csbowes wrote:Part 4.

Sturt Football Club posting on Facebook at 1339h on 15 May 15 :-

Let’s get on with it
In light of recent negative media regarding SANFL crowd figures and other issues, we thought we would take this opportunity to let you know our thoughts within the Club.
At Sturt, our crowds are consistent with last year and our away crowds have had a huge contingent of Sturt supporters, in particular at Noarlunga and Alberton where we looked to have outnumbered the locals.
Further to this, our membership numbers are above last years and our sponsorship is consistent with last year.
We are in good shape.
The experience at Peter Motley Oval with the variety of food (Vietnamese, Indian, BBQ, Thai & more traditional footy food), after match entertainment, Bluey Balfour, the mascot providing giveaways to children at each home match, the two children’s playgrounds, face painters, balloons, new picket fence, and renovated club rooms makes for a very entertaining day.
Add to this some excellent performances from the boys on their home deck and you have to ask: where would you rather be on a Saturday or Sunday afternoon! This morning’s edition of The Advertiser featured an article in which Garry Hocking, former AFL player and current Port Adelaide Magpie Coach notes that the competition is of a high standard and continues to improve.
Our players all attend after match presentations which is also very well attended by our supporters and is a great way to end a day at the footy.
Instead of focusing on the negatives or complaining about the competition, we strongly believe each club has a duty to see what they can do to make match day experiences better.
Sturt Football Club is committed to contributing positively to the SANFL competition today and in the future.
See you at Peter Motley Oval this Sunday!

I think its commendable that Sturt have gone public with a comment. Regardless of whether one agrees, disagrees, whatever with what has been stated, at least some sort of comment has been made.

I don't necessarily agree with the "but I'm alright Jack" response the above implies, but at least it's something. Even better if they had chosen to copy and paste that back to me, just to appear considerate.

Overall I think the clubs have been caught out by the poor crowds, but are not confident about coming out to defend their brand or their previous decisions. I think they're probably just hoping it will get better.

However, if people feel like I do, then I think the decision to bring the AFL teams in has killed the league. If they had been kicked out at the end of last year, I could forsee a recovery. But even if the teams are removed now, I think the fire and interest in some fans is already gone.

For myself, all I know is that I used to travel about 3,500km or more a year to see Sturt games. Now I see very few. At the same time, I don't miss a single A-League game anymore. Knock, knock Mr SANFL Marketing Person, any concerns here?

The club should be very happy because as I previously posted on another topic, they were one of the reasons we were told from our club that we must VOTE "YES" for the survival of them and West..
It`s all rosy when a club is winning on field and now miraculously off field..
Congratulations Sturt.
o five
Under 16s

Has liked: 219 times
Been liked: 39 times

Postby Aerie » Wed May 20, 2015 6:30 pm

They lost me at "match day experiences"..

If I wanted fancy food, big screen tv's etc. I can get that and I can watch the best players on offer at the AFL.

SANFL was all about being authentic. Plenty loved it. Unfortunately the SANFL now has a thick layer of bullshit which makes it stink.
Aerie
Coach

Has liked: 147 times
Been liked: 503 times

Postby Panther Pack » Wed May 20, 2015 10:09 pm

One thing I dont understand is why the Crows reserves have been given so many night games in the fixture.

Surely as they draw the smallest crowd they should be given the worst time slots.

South had both the crows reserves and power reserves scheduled to play night games at noarlunga would rather norwood, sturt, bays or north at night home games.
Panther Pack
Reserves

Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 137 times

Postby CUTTERMAN » Wed May 20, 2015 10:36 pm

Aerie wrote:They lost me at "match day experiences"..

If I wanted fancy food, big screen tv's etc. I can get that and I can watch the best players on offer at the AFL.

SANFL was all about being authentic. Plenty loved it. Unfortunately the SANFL now has a thick layer of bullshit which makes it stink.

To be fair it's only a curry stall at home games etc. no big deal and hardly anything even near over the top or fancy food. Jeez it's just another option of what to eat at a footy game instead of an over cooked steak sambo, crap sausage or an even worse pie.
'PAFC don't want any advantages in the SANFL. It would only take away from any achievements we earned.'
Keith Thomas ABC 891 Radio, 21/6/14.
CUTTERMAN
League - Top 5

Has liked: 213 times
Been liked: 124 times

Postby topsywaldron » Wed May 20, 2015 11:40 pm

o five wrote:The club should be very happy because as I previously posted on another topic, they were one of the reasons we were told from our club that we must VOTE "YES" for the survival of them and West..
It`s all rosy when a club is winning on field and now miraculously off field..
Congratulations Sturt.

Spot exactly f••king on.

'B-b-but if you don't support the AFL reserves in the SANFL you're effectively signing the DEATH WARRANT of the competition because seven of its clubs are on death row!!'

There is not one single argument put forward for their inclusion that has held up after less than two years.

Jake P didn't reply to my email, too busy polishing his magnifying glass to examine the claimed '3% increase' in membership I guess.

What a shower of merde this has become.
'People are not stupid. They know when they are being conned. And two reserves teams operating in a League competition will reduce it to a farce, a competition without a soul.'

Dion Hayman 24th July 2013
topsywaldron
Veteran

Has liked: 21 times
Been liked: 218 times

Postby csbowes » Wed May 20, 2015 11:50 pm

Norwood sent me a fantastic response today.

Will post in the morning.
csbowes
League - Best 21

Postby Tech1 » Wed May 20, 2015 11:54 pm

Pseudo wrote:

Did not respond.

[...]

In addition, I think it would have been courteous to at least tell me they cannot comment. Just ignoring my query, which I think was written pretty fairly and without much prejudice, is a bit unreasonable on their part.

Over the last couple of years I have sent a number of queries to Glenelg by email, either directly or via the interface on the club website. These emails have been fairly mundane: membership issues, enquiries about match-day facilities, etc. I have not had a reply to one of these queries. So don't take it personally; Glenelg appears to be as crap off the field as on it.

Totally agree with Pseudo. We are crap off the field at responding to emails. I have on two separate occasions years gone by i sent an email on some suggestions on how to improve the match day experience at the club (similar to what Sturt are currently doing), merchandise (which is terrible) and a couple of other questions and received no response.
Tech1
Rookie

Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 27 times

Postby csbowes » Thu May 21, 2015 8:08 am

Tech1 wrote:Totally agree with Pseudo. We are crap off the field at responding to emails. I have on two separate occasions years gone by i sent an email on some suggestions on how to improve the match day experience at the club (similar to what Sturt are currently doing), merchandise (which is terrible) and a couple of other questions and received no response.

Football clubs aren't alone in this area. I never understand how businesses / organisations can have email addresses and then never reply to them, its like they feel they have to have one to be "on the net", but then don't understand it means you have to write to people.

I've had tradies for example who I've written to every couple of months for a year and never got a response. Even when I've spoken to them on the phone and they've told me to email them again, nothing.
csbowes
League - Best 21

Postby csbowes » Thu May 21, 2015 8:13 am

Response from Norwood Football Club...

---------

Thanks for the email, I know that the SANFL supporters and Members have grave concerns over the current standings of the SANFL weekly attendances. I apologies for the delay in response but 4 Friday games in a row doesn’t leave a lot of spare time as you can appreciate.

I won’t comment for other clubs as I don’t know what they have put in place as far as lifting their attendances but I’m happy to comment from a NFC perspective.

The Club to date is actually quite pleased with both our home and away crowds. I have included some numbers below to show the comparison on the round 6 numbers. As you can see the only really worrying game is the ANZAC day match against Port, but I think that the weather truly did keep all but the most passionate supporter away.
Of the games that are comparable Round 1 was a positive increase on the previous year, with Sturt driving their supporters to attend the match.
Round 2 saw a great increase for Centrals with just under 700 extra attending the game
Round 3, 5 & 7 also were good increases for both Home & Away matches.

The Crows game was slightly disappointing but in saying that last year the NFC with the help of the AFC did a fairly Large Promo with players from both clubs leading into the match including a lot of giveaway tickets that we didn’t do this year as we have targeted another game for a similar Promo.

NFC Membership has seen a 22.5% increase this season as we have shifted a lot of the clubs marketing and promo focus into Membership having sustained a consistent number for the past 3 seasons. Last year 3150, this season 3860 so far.

From a NFC point of view the year to date for attendances and membership is very positive and whilst I understand we are the reigning Premiers x 3 I think to continue growth is a good thing.

From a League point of view, the SANFL has been very proactive with the clubs by pushing us in the right direction as well as delivering club focused membership advertising on Buses, Trams (wifi & Physical), and increase online presence and a wider spread media scope via radio on more than the traditional channels inc Fresh 92.7.
A lot of these mediums may not be seen by the “traditional” supporter but the clubs and league need to try and capture new supporters to compliment the traditional supporter.

The NFC is comfortable with the $14 admin fee as it stands, as a family of 4 can attend and SANFL match for $28 or less if concession apply,
plus food and non-alcoholic beverages are still able to be brought into SANFL grounds.
Many clubs struggle to break even at $14 so dropping the price to try and pick up an unknown attendance increase could be very dangerous.

We understand the all SANFL supporters both old and new are worried about the future of the league, but from a NFC point of view we believe that we still offer a great day out, that we are constantly trying to improve.

Hopefully I have answered a few of your questions where I have the relevant info?

Norwood 2015
Rd Day Opponent Ground Attendance Comparison to the same oppo from 2014.
1 Thursday (n) Sturt Coopers Stadium 6,927 2,071
2 Saturday Central District Playford Alive Oval 2,655 696
3 Sunday Eagles Maughan Thiem 2,855 567
4 Friday (n) Port Adelaide Adelaide Oval 5,526 - 4,488 Compared ANZAC Day not North
5 Friday (n) Glenelg Coopers Stadium 3,234 730
6 Friday (n) Adelaide Coopers Stadium 3,025 - 857
Total after rnd 6 24,222
7 Friday (n) South Adelaide Coopers Stadium 3,017 526

The table probably doesn't come out well when pasted, but as stated by NFC, only the ANZAC Day game was poor and weather was atrocious that day, so I certainly sympathise with their thinking.

I'm very pleased they sent me a response, still nothing from the other 7 clubs or the league. Hopefully I'll be surprised and get some more responses, maybe it is going to take some of them longer than I thought to write back.

I cross my fingers that that is the case...

In the end I don't think fans are looking to catch them out, a lot of us genuinely just want to be considered and spoken to and enlightened to the thinking of the club rather than just ignored except on occasions when they're getting money from us.

So my thanks to Norwood... showing the way to respond to the public I reckon.
csbowes
League - Best 21

Postby csbowes » Thu May 21, 2015 8:17 am

CUTTERMAN wrote:Good on you CS for going to the trouble of writing to all concerned. I've thought about writing to Sturt and Jake Parkinson about my concerns and direction of the comp. However once I heard the dribble that came from him and the SANFL regarding crowd numbers being down I wondered why the f*** anyone would bother. I had hoped that we had someone with a backbone and someone who would stand strong for the SANFL.
Obviously not.

Thanks... I do wonder why I bother at times too. I don't expect my club or any club to do everything their members want, but I do expect their to be consideration of views and a thoughtful response to concerns etc.

I expect there might be a reasonable amount of fans out there who just "whinge" about everything, my pie is too cold, my pie is too hot, what are you going to do about it, but on the other hand, there's also genuine concerns and genuine suggestions from fans.

We're not all from Mt.Druitt smoking ice and stealing cars...

A lot of us are well mannered, intelligent white and blue collar workers who should be given respect, just as they would expect us to respect them, but alas, I sometimes feel we're all thrown into the Mt.Druitt category.

The club knows better than us... sadly, in my experience, that's not been the case.
csbowes
League - Best 21

Postby puppet arms » Thu May 21, 2015 9:34 am

Tech1 wrote:
Pseudo wrote:

Did not respond.

[...]

Totally agree with Pseudo. We are crap off the field at responding to emails. I have on two separate occasions years gone by i sent an email on some suggestions on how to improve the match day experience at the club (similar to what Sturt are currently doing), merchandise (which is terrible) and a couple of other questions and received no response.

Wholeheartedly agree, although earlier this year I did get a response from them in regards to my son meeting his favourite player before a game for his birthday (Lachie Button, for the record). Very happy with the effort of the club and player. They really went above and beyond my expectations and my 8 year old lad reckons it was his best birthday EVER!!
This is the first time I have ever got a response from the club though. Hopefully it's a sign of improvement
puppet arms

Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 6 times
Grassroots Team: Glenunga

Postby csbowes » Wed May 27, 2015 9:13 am

Just to close this out... no response from the other 6 clubs (if you count Sturt as responding via Facebook, which is a 50-50 thing)...

No response from the SANFL either.

Interpret that as you like...
csbowes
League - Best 21

Postby spell_check » Fri Jun 05, 2015 11:08 pm

Updated to last round
Attachments
2015 crowd comparison.PNG
2015 crowd comparison.PNG (9.14 KiB) Viewed 2255 times
spell_check
Coach

Has liked: 45 times
Been liked: 178 times

Postby Dutchy » Mon Jun 08, 2015 8:24 pm

What has been the crowd on the Queens B'day for North V Glenelg in recent years compared to today?
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2311 times
Been liked: 3484 times

Postby spell_check » Mon Jun 08, 2015 8:46 pm

You will have to fill me in on today, but I'll give you all of the Glenelg matches of the same day, which became a fixture in 2003:

2003: vs Eagles, 4215
2004: vs Central, 3248
2005: vs West, 3881
2006: vs Norwood, 4395
2007: vs North, 4067
2008: vs Port, 7711
2009: vs Port, 6276
2010: vs North, 5260
2011: vs Norwood, 6763
2012: vs Eagles, 4647
2013: vs North, 4414
2014: vs North, 3868