Chris Judd Retires

Talk on the national game

Re: Chris Judd Retires

Postby Footy Smart » Tue Jun 09, 2015 4:54 pm

Booney wrote:
Jase wrote:
Jim05 wrote:Great player but will probably be remembered just as much for his multiple eye gouging and dirty acts.

Yeah, probably not...

:roll:

Yeah, the form Jim showed there is nearly as poor as the Bombers at the moment.

I doubt many people will think pressure point or chicken wing when the name Chris Judd is mentioned in years to come.

I will think of Fev on the Brownlow street talk, crown lager in hand trying the pressure points on the guests :D bring back Fev at the Brownlow

As for Judd, I will remember the explosive pace from contests, his running style with the ball (stiff shouldered), using the ball amazingly and being part of one of the better ever midfields.
Footy Smart
Coach

Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 118 times
Grassroots Team: Modbury

Postby Turbo » Tue Jun 09, 2015 5:00 pm

Jim05 wrote:Great player but will probably be remembered just as much for his multiple eye gouging and dirty acts.

Don't think so

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Turbo
League - Top 5

Has liked: 44 times
Been liked: 38 times
Grassroots Team: Cove

Postby MW » Tue Jun 09, 2015 5:10 pm

That would be like saying the Bombers will always be remembered as a drug cheating club...oh hang on
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2581 times
Been liked: 1822 times

Postby Jim05 » Tue Jun 09, 2015 5:28 pm

MW wrote:

That would be like saying the Bombers will always be remembered as a drug cheating club...oh hang on

Reckon thats a given just like Carlton being salary cap cheats despite it happening 20 years ago. Things like that do stick
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1125 times
Been liked: 3534 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby superlative steve » Tue Jun 09, 2015 5:32 pm

Jim05 wrote:
MW wrote:

Reckon thats a given just like Carlton being salary cap cheats despite it happening 20 years ago. Things like that do stick

Ive read some crap and written some crap on here, but this takes the cake. You reckon Chris Judd will be remembered for his dirty tactics ??? He will be remembered for being a Champion.
superlative steve
Under 16s

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 30 times

Postby Jim05 » Tue Jun 09, 2015 6:08 pm

Booney wrote:
Jase wrote:

Yeah, probably not...

I doubt many people will think pressure point or chicken wing when the name Chris Judd is mentioned in years to come.

Nothing is that poor, the only positive is we have already won enough games to finish ahead of Carlscum
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1125 times
Been liked: 3534 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby gadj1976 » Tue Jun 09, 2015 6:50 pm

Can't believe this has become a "my c*ck is bigger than yours" thread again. FFS... Grow up

Back on topic...

I must admit, as a Carlton supporter I'd forgotten how he used to split packs at the West Coast in the early 2000's till I saw the highlights packages this morning. He was an out and out freak. Inside ball winner and also able to use it extremely well. Unwavering ability to keep his feet under immense pressure and explode away from opposition tacklers. Fleet footwork and an amazing sense of balance.

As he said, to have two shoulder reconstructions by the age of 17 would normally spell an early end to a career, so my admiration for him grows when I see he managed 279 league games, not just as a 'decent player' but as an out and out star.

Unfortunately for Carlton, I think his best football was at West Coast but that doesn't dampen my enthusiasm of how much of a star he was. An out and out legend. Well done Juddy! And thanks.
gadj1976
Coach

Has liked: 795 times
Been liked: 849 times

Postby The Dark Knight » Tue Jun 09, 2015 9:28 pm

Fox Footy has the 2006 GF on their Chooseday Night Football. Such an epic battle, I forgot how good this game was. These West Coast and Sydney sides were two very different styled teams but were two very good teams that provided such a great advertisement for our game.
The Dark Knight
Coach

Has liked: 10299 times
Been liked: 1517 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby RustyCage » Tue Jun 09, 2015 10:41 pm

My first memory of Judd was in a Port v WC game at footy park, think it was his first season. Bounce in the middle of the ground, won by WC ruckman, assuming it was Cox, ball lands in the middle of a pack and all of a sudden this quick young guy grabs the ball, breaks his way through the pack in the centre circle, sprints towards the goals at the southern end, no one gets near him as he slots it through from 55. Thought to myself then "Wow, this kid could be anything!"
I'm gonna break my rusty cage and run
RustyCage

Has liked: 1260 times
Been liked: 933 times

Postby spell_check » Tue Jun 09, 2015 11:14 pm

RustyCage wrote:My first memory of Judd was in a Port v WC game at footy park, think it was his first season. Bounce in the middle of the ground, won by WC ruckman, assuming it was Cox, ball lands in the middle of a pack and all of a sudden this quick young guy grabs the ball, breaks his way through the pack in the centre circle, sprints towards the goals at the southern end, no one gets near him as he slots it through from 55. Thought to myself then "Wow, this kid could be anything!"

That's my first memory of Judd too, I was actually at this game. I reckon he kicked another goal similar to that in the same quarter.

http://afltables.com/afl/stats/games/20 ... 20505.html
spell_check
Coach

Has liked: 45 times
Been liked: 178 times

Postby Feenix » Wed Jun 10, 2015 9:01 am

Footy Smart wrote:I will think of Fev on the Brownlow street talk, crown lager in hand trying the pressure points on the guests :D bring back Fev at the Brownlow

Haha thats exactly what I thought of when hearing the word pressure point and I agree bring back Fev.

I wonder whats next for Juddy?
Feenix
Reserves

Has liked: 68 times
Been liked: 66 times

Postby Dogwatcher » Wed Jun 10, 2015 10:11 am

I heard he's opening up a martial arts dojo.
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed Jun 10, 2015 10:21 am

gadj1976 wrote:Can't believe this has become a "my c*ck is bigger than yours" thread again. FFS... Grow up

Back on topic...

I must admit, as a Carlton supporter I'd forgotten how he used to split packs at the West Coast in the early 2000's till I saw the highlights packages this morning. He was an out and out freak. Inside ball winner and also able to use it extremely well. Unwavering ability to keep his feet under immense pressure and explode away from opposition tacklers. Fleet footwork and an amazing sense of balance.

As he said, to have two shoulder reconstructions by the age of 17 would normally spell an early end to a career, so my admiration for him grows when I see he managed 279 league games, not just as a 'decent player' but as an out and out star.

Unfortunately for Carlton, I think his best football was at West Coast but that doesn't dampen my enthusiasm of how much of a star he was. An out and out legend. Well done Juddy! And thanks.

I don't even own a chicken.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

Postby bennymacca » Wed Jun 10, 2015 10:50 am

There isnt too many players in the history of the game that you would say, at a point in time that he was the best player in the comp and daylight was second, but Judd was one of those players.

As others have said he had the acceleration of a McLeod but also won his own ball and then all of a sudden he was in space.

The only player in the last 15 years that comes close to him is Ablett. And it is pretty hard to split them
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby FOURTH ESTATE » Wed Jun 10, 2015 1:26 pm

Booney wrote:
Jase wrote:

Yeah, probably not...

Awesome player wished Richmond got hold of him when the deals were being done to get him back to Melbourne, couldn't quite get it over the line
Will always be remembered on Brownlow night for Rebecca Twigleys's dress in 2005
2017, 2019 & 2020 PREMIERS
RICHMOND, RICHMOND, RICHMOND.

Let that be a lesson to you Sturt. You don't beat Glenelg 3 times in a row in Grand Finals and get away with it.
FOURTH ESTATE
Veteran

Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 128 times
Grassroots Team: Broadview

Postby The Dark Knight » Wed Jun 10, 2015 1:30 pm

FOURTH ESTATE wrote:
Booney wrote:
Jase wrote:

Yeah, probably not...

Awesome player wished Richmond got hold of him when the deals were being done to get him back to Melbourne, couldn't quite get it over the line
Will always be remembered on Brownlow night for Rebecca Twigleys's dress in 2005

Pretty sure that was 2004.
The Dark Knight
Coach

Has liked: 10299 times
Been liked: 1517 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby Gozu » Wed Jun 10, 2015 9:29 pm

jakovasaurus wrote:Judd at his peak was the best I've seen I reckon. His ability to hit top speed in a couple of steps (if that) and burst clear of a pack was incredible to watch. Champion of the highest order.

I agree at his peak at WC I've never seen a better midfielder than Judd. I always remember a game up at Brisbane where he was on fire, I still haven't seen such a dominant game by a midfielder before. Classy bloke too speaks well and is an ornament to the game. Thanking the Crows fans there at the MCG in his retirement press conference says everything about the class of the guy.

Must admit I had a tear in my eye when he was being taken off.
"The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment" – Warren Bennis
Gozu
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 659 times

Postby spell_check » Wed Jun 10, 2015 10:07 pm

spell_check wrote:
RustyCage wrote:My first memory of Judd was in a Port v WC game at footy park, think it was his first season. Bounce in the middle of the ground, won by WC ruckman, assuming it was Cox, ball lands in the middle of a pack and all of a sudden this quick young guy grabs the ball, breaks his way through the pack in the centre circle, sprints towards the goals at the southern end, no one gets near him as he slots it through from 55. Thought to myself then "Wow, this kid could be anything!"

That's my first memory of Judd too, I was actually at this game. I reckon he kicked another goal similar to that in the same quarter.

The goal I was thinking of was in the previous quarter; not from a centre bounce though (2:16). Both goals are here:
spell_check
Coach

Postby spell_check » Wed Jun 10, 2015 10:08 pm

spell_check wrote:
spell_check wrote:

The goal I was thinking of was in the previous quarter; not from a centre bounce though (2:16). Both goals are here:
spell_check
Coach

Postby carey » Thu Jun 11, 2015 10:23 pm

Champion.

The term gets used way to much and it pisses me off no end, But Chris Judd is an out and out champion.
you've gota keep on keep'n on .........
carey
Coach

Has liked: 2796 times
Been liked: 2985 times
Grassroots Team: Paralowie

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL