14%
Salisbury West
9%
St. Pauls
7%

Total votes : 56

Re: Ch9 AFL Division 7 - 2015

Postby Q. » Wed Jun 17, 2015 5:02 pm

How the **** do you hide Varcoe? He was the biggest signing before a ball had even been bounced and every coach would have mentally noted to pay him some attention.
Q.
Coach

Has liked: 970 times
Been liked: 2396 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

Postby The Bedge » Wed Jun 17, 2015 5:06 pm

BZB27 wrote:Thought id give this a decent crack been flicking through team lists and best players and working out what possie most play from what people have wrote.

F: Smiech(SP) McDonnell(MP) Gilling(HD)
HF: Vanhoren(AV) Nassereddine(SP) Gollan(AV)
C: Bradford(MP) Hincks(SP) Karpany(AV)
HB: Nihill(AU) Schuppan(MP) Walsak(MP)
B: T.Smith(SW) Bondio(AU) J.Currie(HD
R: C.Schutz(HD) Mcmurtrie(HD) J.Davis(HD)
I: Burgess(AV) Jones(SW) J.Adamo(SP)

Wasnt trying to be bias with the on ball brigade but i do think they are the best ive seen.

If using times in best players as a guide what about Gardner (AU) and Hains (FU) - both in the best players 6x times.
Alex Bray > Shannon Vanhoren statistically speaking also.
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3193 times
Been liked: 4001 times

Postby The Bedge » Wed Jun 17, 2015 5:06 pm

Q. wrote:How the **** do you hide Varcoe? He was the biggest signing before a ball had even been bounced and every coach would have mentally noted to pay him some attention.

The old "out of sight, out of mind" mentality :lol:
The Bedge
Coach

Postby The Bedge » Wed Jun 17, 2015 5:07 pm

morell wrote:Ahh rubbish. Would coaches really think that would make one iota of a difference?

I think we've found morell's myth number 11!!!!!

I know of several coaches who have gone down that path to name a different lot of best players in the paper.
Personally i think it's stupid - if you're the best player you deserve the recognition!
The Bedge
Coach

Postby morell » Wed Jun 17, 2015 5:21 pm

It's stupid because if any coach uses the newspaper to define their game plan and tactics they shouldn't be coaching, so it's a moot process.

I had to name the best for the paper from Saturday and it was a spare of the moment guess and an afterthought.

People take themselves and D7 football WAYYYYYY too seriously.

Anyone "hiding" players by not naming them in the best for the paper needs to take their hand off it.

Like wise for censoring posters on sa footy!!
morell
Coach

Has liked: 2017 times
Been liked: 1141 times
Grassroots Team: Mitchell Park

Postby BZB27 » Wed Jun 17, 2015 5:23 pm

Zartan wrote:
BZB27 wrote:Thought id give this a decent crack been flicking through team lists and best players and working out what possie most play from what people have wrote.

F: Smiech(SP) McDonnell(MP) Gilling(HD)
HF: Vanhoren(AV) Nassereddine(SP) Gollan(AV)
C: Bradford(MP) Hincks(SP) Karpany(AV)
HB: Nihill(AU) Schuppan(MP) Walsak(MP)
B: T.Smith(SW) Bondio(AU) J.Currie(HD
R: C.Schutz(HD) Mcmurtrie(HD) J.Davis(HD)
I: Burgess(AV) Jones(SW) J.Adamo(SP)

Wasnt trying to be bias with the on ball brigade but i do think they are the best ive seen.

If using times in best players as a guide what about Gardner (AU) and Hains (FU) - both in the best players 6x times.
Alex Bray > Shannon Vanhoren statistically speaking also.

I had Hains in there but took him out for Jones also must of missed Gardner

Also dont rate Bray ;)
BZB27
League - Best 21

Has liked: 216 times
Been liked: 173 times
Grassroots Team: Salisbury

Postby crabman » Wed Jun 17, 2015 5:32 pm

norm11 wrote:But bias but to nominate guys from my own club, Dudley up forward when he plays, bendesi as a crumbing forward goal kicker and Ryan Davis at full back. Couyer from sals west up forward with nazardene??? From Saint Paul's.

How often does Phil play? I heard mention previously somewhere that he his most recent suspension (round 2) tipped him into a life time ban level but can't find how many games he has missed through suspension.
crabman
Mini-League

Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 8 times
Grassroots Team: Flinders University

Postby crabman » Wed Jun 17, 2015 5:33 pm

morell wrote:
norm11 wrote:But bias but to nominate guys from my own club, Dudley up forward when he plays, bendesi as a crumbing forward goal kicker and Ryan Davis at full back. Couyer from sals west up forward with nazardene??? From Saint Paul's.
Gollan is deadly. Aside from Varcoe he's the one we would worry about the most I reckon.

From our point of view on the weekend Gollan was definitely the more deadly of the two. Was getting lazy and soccering the ball and getting frustrated giving away 25's or downfields.
crabman
Mini-League

Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 8 times
Grassroots Team: Flinders University

Postby norm11 » Wed Jun 17, 2015 5:54 pm

crabman wrote:

How often does Phil play? I heard mention previously somewhere that he his most recent suspension (round 2) tipped him into a life time ban level but can't find how many games he has missed through suspension.

Back for the Mitchell park game. He received 8 games.
Back to the creek it is.
norm11
League - Top 5

Has liked: 470 times
Been liked: 53 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed Jun 17, 2015 6:41 pm

Zartan wrote:
morell wrote:Ahh rubbish. Would coaches really think that would make one iota of a difference?

I think we've found morell's myth number 11!!!!!

I know of several coaches who have gone down that path to name a different lot of best players in the paper.
Personally i think it's stupid - if you're the best player you deserve the recognition!

I used to do it, it was funny watching my duds getting shut down for the first half and the opposition thinking they're doing a great job, a bit harder in the back 9 rounds though.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4346 times
Been liked: 7921 times

Postby Yank Man » Wed Jun 17, 2015 8:37 pm

Q. wrote:How the **** do you hide Varcoe? He was the biggest signing before a ball had even been bounced and every coach would have mentally noted to pay him some attention.

And I would suggest all coaches would flick through the SP team selections to see if he is playing. He was the catalyst in Angle Vales defeat on us. I was more impressed by his leadership and discipline. The team looks up to him and rightly so from what I saw just that once. Rate him.

On Ruckman, they don't win you too many games, sure you need one but back to Adel Uni again, they don't have what I consider a front ruck, so they would have had a ball last week as they did against us, because they are the best at setting up to crumb off the best rucks. Didn't see AU and Houghton play but just how I perceived it happening. Tommy won 70% of our hitouts and AU won 60% of the clearances. Yes we still have a lot of work to do to combat that but they run 8 plus through their middle and it's hard to get a handle on.
Yank Man
League - Top 5

Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 317 times
Grassroots Team: Edwardstown

Postby Yank Man » Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:59 pm

zedman wrote:
Zartan wrote:
fisho mcspaz wrote:
morell wrote:I haven't seen a better ruckman than Mitchell Park's Tom Roberts.

Tom Roberts is the best ruckman in the comp IMHO, but the Angle Vale ruckman would have to be a close second.

This Roberts lad must be pretty good to be considered better than Schutz :shock:

Out of interest, what is it that you think seperates him from the rest?

i saw roberts play on the long weekend for a half..it was a dismal looking game against FUFC with zero intensity from both sides as they went through the motions..mcdonnell just did whatever he wanted at FF with journeyman hyde running amok as well..but roberts was impressive albeit versus an inferior team..i think he would be a real inspirational leader as well and someone the boys will jump out of the trenches with..strong and gets his hand to the ball nicely and then works back when needed..schutz is good to but i havent seen him for a few years now..

Why on Gods earth would a coach of your stature Zed be bothered to come to MP to watch a half of footy on a June long weekend at Div 7 level. Guess we both know that answer, journeyman is having fun too thanks, and playing for free, that was his first game back for 4 weeks too. Zero intensity, nice, we thought different. How the hell do you have 52 shots at goal with zero intensity and being lacklustre. :roll:
Yank Man
League - Top 5

Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 317 times
Grassroots Team: Edwardstown

Postby zedman » Wed Jun 17, 2015 10:20 pm

Yank Man wrote:Why on Gods earth would a coach of your stature Zed be bothered to come to MP to watch a half of footy on a June long weekend at Div 7 level. Guess we both know that answer, journeyman is having fun too thanks, and playing for free, that was his first game back for 4 weeks too. Zero intensity, nice, we thought different. How the hell do you have 52 shots at goal with zero intensity and being lacklustre. :roll:

i went with some of chris' mates from lockleys to watch him play a few quarters yankman..whats the secret?

the crabs were rather undermanned and you had over 50 shots on goal and didnt have to raise a sweat to get your hands on the ball and score..i saw half the game..they offered little resistance and the game was dead as a contest after about 12 minutes..you killed it..i didnt say anything about the game being lacklustre although that is a cool word..the intensity of the game was just zero for me.. :)
zedman
Coach

Has liked: 1079 times
Been liked: 387 times

Postby human_torpedo » Thu Jun 18, 2015 10:39 am

Yank Man wrote:

And I would suggest all coaches would flick through the SP team selections to see if he is playing. He was the catalyst in Angle Vales defeat on us. I was more impressed by his leadership and discipline. The team looks up to him and rightly so from what I saw just that once. Rate him.

On Ruckman, they don't win you too many games, sure you need one but back to Adel Uni again, they don't have what I consider a front ruck, so they would have had a ball last week as they did against us, because they are the best at setting up to crumb off the best rucks. Didn't see AU and Houghton play but just how I perceived it happening. Tommy won 70% of our hitouts and AU won 60% of the clearances. Yes we still have a lot of work to do to combat that but they run 8 plus through their middle and it's hard to get a handle on.

Interesting thought.. Im of the belief that anyone who says ruckman don't win you too many games haven't had a good one in their side.. IMO a quality ruckman at any level will make as a big a difference as any other position on the ground.. Again, only my opinion
human_torpedo
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 371 times

Postby morell » Thu Jun 18, 2015 10:48 am

Ruckman are the most pivotal players on the ground IMO. Especially at this level.

Give me a great ruckman over cardboard cutout half bank flanker x234 any day of the week.

But a great ruck man doesn't just win taps, he moves around the ground, takes marks, kicks goals and helps out the defense. I see them more as mobile key position players.

A tap ruckman that doesn't do anything else, yeah I agree with Yanky, pretty useless. @Matthew Lobbe
morell
Coach

Has liked: 2017 times
Been liked: 1141 times
Grassroots Team: Mitchell Park

Postby Lightning McQueen » Thu Jun 18, 2015 11:09 am

morell wrote:Ruckman are the most pivotal players on the ground IMO. Especially at this level.

Give me a great ruckman over cardboard cutout half bank flanker x234 any day of the week.

But a great ruck man doesn't just win taps, he moves around the ground, takes marks, kicks goals and helps out the defense. I see them more as mobile key position players.

A tap ruckman that doesn't do anything else, yeah I agree with Yanky, pretty useless. @Matthew Lobbe

I agree, first hands on the ball dishing off to moving followers is paramount.
Umpiring in the APFL I've seen Simon Feast and Ben Dowdell displaying their craft in recent times, probably the two best tap ruckmen that I've been on the field with.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Dogwatcher » Thu Jun 18, 2015 11:11 am

In my time, some of the best ruckman I've seen - Ben Halliday, Mick Moss, Dave Francis, Robert Price, Jade Wright - all contribute massively to getting a result. Even if they don't get plenty of their own ball, you feel so much taller yourself knowing they know how to win the taps and give you first use.
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby Q. » Thu Jun 18, 2015 11:13 am

Yes, one of the best feelings in football is pulling off set plays at stoppages...and they start with winning the tap.
Q.
Coach

Has liked: 970 times
Been liked: 2396 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

Postby Lightning McQueen » Thu Jun 18, 2015 11:18 am

Dogwatcher wrote:In my time, some of the best ruckman I've seen - Ben Halliday, Mick Moss, Dave Francis, Robert Price, Jade Wright - all contribute massively to getting a result. Even if they don't get plenty of their own ball, you feel so much taller yourself knowing they know how to win the taps and give you first use.

Mossy wasn't much of a tap ruckman but if you hung around halfway between full forward and centre half slightly to right of centre half forward you could prosper from his power hits from the centre ball up.
I'd often hover around 25 metres away from a boundary throw in contest with my back turned to the play pretending to be disinterested in the contest and totally out of position, Mossy knew it and would bang it about 10 metres goal side of me so I could get there at full tilt.
He was one of the best players I've played with.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Dogwatcher » Thu Jun 18, 2015 11:21 am

He made a very big impression on me as a kid. Easy to get overawed when playing against him.
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Adelaide Footy League