9%
St. Pauls
7%

Total votes : 56

Re: Ch9 AFL Division 7 - 2015

Postby morell » Sun Jun 21, 2015 8:18 pm

Yank Man wrote:
morell wrote:
Q. wrote:So what was the secret behind keeping St Paul's to their lowest score for the year?
The inspiration of watching the defensive genius of the reserves beforehand.

More like the midfield genius who in working with the mids to stop supply.

On a serious note give it a rest fisho, we were in elite company last night with the doyen of umpiring Mr Barry Lewis officiating, I thought they were very good given the amount of pressure around the contests and strong tackling. Thanks to the St Paul's club for agreeing to play under lights which brought out a really good crowd. I feel a bit for them coming off the June bye followed by a bye then facing an in form MP. They now get another bye then an improving Flinders. To answer your question Q it's pretty hard scoring goals when you push 15 back inside your oppositions 50 leaving 5 or 6 opponents setting up in the middle and not being checked. Found that a bit odd considering they are such a young hard running team. :roll:
settle down grumpy bum.
morell
Coach

Has liked: 2017 times
Been liked: 1143 times
Grassroots Team: Mitchell Park

Postby marbles » Sun Jun 21, 2015 8:25 pm

werent stpauls the 2nd favourites, do we a new contender #‎RestoretheRoar‬
marbles
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 276 times
Been liked: 259 times

Postby morell » Sun Jun 21, 2015 8:29 pm

marbles wrote:werent stpauls the 2nd favourites, do we a new contender #‎RestoretheRoar‬

Still a long, long way to go for us... . We had a settled side and I think St Paul's had a few out.

Much better signs though!
morell
Coach

Postby marbles » Sun Jun 21, 2015 8:35 pm

morell wrote:
marbles wrote:werent stpauls the 2nd favourites, do we a new contender #‎RestoretheRoar‬

Still a long, long way to go for us... . We had a settled side and I think St Paul's had a few out.

especially in late june when most teams are on the down slide from peak summer form, you guys on the rise in late june is a tremendous sign, great work lions
marbles
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 276 times
Been liked: 259 times

Postby Yank Man » Sun Jun 21, 2015 8:47 pm

morell wrote:

That was a chuckle champ. I'm not grumpy I'm alive and well and smiling through my bum crack.
That was actually St Pauls best team for the year but they were rusty but. The best thing about our club is the massive work being done with the reserves. Much more structured, much more professional and much more exciting to watch. Bout time you accepted the fact morell that coaching is your future path. ;)
Yank Man
League - Top 5

Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 323 times
Grassroots Team: Edwardstown

Postby morell » Mon Jun 22, 2015 10:20 am

Yank Man wrote:That was a chuckle champ. I'm not grumpy I'm alive and well and smiling through my bum crack.
Just trying to keep a lid on it. If we cop a couple of injuries and play with the same sides as earlier in the year we will struggle again. Depth is a major issue. But thats OK! We're on the right track :)

Yank Man wrote:The best thing about our club is the massive work being done with the reserves. Much more structured, much more professional and much more exciting to watch. Bout time you accepted the fact morell that coaching is your future path. ;)
Ha I'm a magnet mover, not a coach. Alfie is doing the tough stuff week to week and deserves any and all credit for the improvement in the magoos.

But RE my sideline role. This is rare so you might want to put this in your signature - I was very wrong.

When playing I always thought I'd know what to do and that the moves were always really obvious. Different story on the sidelines when on occasion you've got 5 decisions to make in 30 seconds after someone has hurt themselves and blown apart your structure. You have to make the right calls, communicate them, effectively so the runner to understands them and then see it implemented correctly. I guess I imagined just picking players up and shifting them like some sort of board game.

It's so frustrating though, this is word for word from Satdee - "go and tell Smithy to always stay goal side and to be on his 45 with an arm on his hip at all times". Runner goes out, tells Smithy, he nods, proceeds to stand 10m in front of opponent. Drag Smithy. Tell Smithy personally and provide example of what I mean. Smithy acknowledges instructions, runs out and proceeds to stand 10m to the left of his opponent.

Then simple things that I've always just thought people knew - like not rush kicking into the corridor when under pressure in defence. Locking it in rather than spilling it out when they have numbers around the contest. Not leaving your man and rushing to an opponent when a team mate already has them under pressure. Staying down in the contest if you're a midget. Holding space when trying to read the contest as a rover rather than sprinting at it and being too close. Usually as a spectator I see these things and just turn off and accept it, but now as someone somewhat responsible I feel I have to tell them, but of course I can't send the poor runner out after almost every contest.

I can see why coaches have shorter life spans and I'm only dealing with 5% of it.

As an aside, how many runners are we able to have on the ground?
morell
Coach

Postby Mr Beefy » Mon Jun 22, 2015 10:30 am

morell wrote:

One, I think you can 2 runners but only one on the ground at anytime
Mr Beefy
Coach

Has liked: 407 times
Been liked: 651 times
Grassroots Team: Rosewater

Postby BZB27 » Mon Jun 22, 2015 10:33 am

Some of those things your saying Morell need to be taught during training not during a game because for some people it takes a while for it to actually work on the field and i guess getting told once will just make it go in one ear and out the other.
BZB27
League - Best 21

Has liked: 216 times
Been liked: 173 times
Grassroots Team: Salisbury

Postby morell » Mon Jun 22, 2015 10:43 am

Training? D7 Mitchell Park B Grade? You're having a laugh surely.

But yeah I know, but I would've thought a simple instruction like that would've been easily understood. Ah well, I am learning too!
morell
Coach

Postby morell » Mon Jun 22, 2015 10:44 am

Mr Beefy wrote:
morell wrote:

One, I think you can 2 runners but only one on the ground at anytime
What about a second runner who wears white and carries a drink bottle?
morell
Coach

Postby BZB27 » Mon Jun 22, 2015 10:56 am

morell wrote:Training? D7 Mitchell Park B Grade? You're having a laugh surely.

But yeah I know, but I would've thought a simple instruction like that would've been easily understood. Ah well, I am learning too!

Surely most get out once a week? Lol

I came from a higher level so most blokes know all the stuff you said coz it gets taught at a junior level but i understand and Div 7 level there are blokes there who just wanna get the ball whenever they see it even if it isnt the right time for them to get it.
BZB27
League - Best 21

Postby Robb_Stark » Mon Jun 22, 2015 11:07 am

Varcs from Angle Vale hurt his knee on the weekend limped to the side lines hope he didnt do to much damage... But i did have to chuckle a bit when i seen him get picked up and carried away by a big guy reminded me of the bodyguard movie all over a again :)
Robb_Stark
League - Best 21

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 155 times

Postby Q. » Mon Jun 22, 2015 12:11 pm

I was eavesdropping on his conversation with the trainer, didn't sound good and I don't think he'll suit up again this year.

I wanted to ask him if he could get Travis to sign a Collingwood guernsey for me, but it seemed like an inappropriate time.
Q.
Coach

Has liked: 970 times
Been liked: 2396 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

Postby morell » Mon Jun 22, 2015 12:18 pm

That's genuinely terrible news :( You want blokes of his quality playing. Hope its not as bad as that and he's just tweaked it.
morell
Coach

Postby BZB27 » Mon Jun 22, 2015 12:43 pm

Thats bad news.

He kicked the first goal of the game then pinned one of blokes holding the ball and missed the shot then didnt see him on the field after that.
BZB27
League - Best 21

Postby MW » Mon Jun 22, 2015 1:27 pm

morell wrote:
Yank Man wrote:That was a chuckle champ. I'm not grumpy I'm alive and well and smiling through my bum crack.
Just trying to keep a lid on it. If we cop a couple of injuries and play with the same sides as earlier in the year we will struggle again. Depth is a major issue. But thats OK! We're on the right track :)

Yank Man wrote:The best thing about our club is the massive work being done with the reserves. Much more structured, much more professional and much more exciting to watch. Bout time you accepted the fact morell that coaching is your future path. ;)
Ha I'm a magnet mover, not a coach. Alfie is doing the tough stuff week to week and deserves any and all credit for the improvement in the magoos.

But RE my sideline role. This is rare so you might want to put this in your signature - I was very wrong.

When playing I always thought I'd know what to do and that the moves were always really obvious. Different story on the sidelines when on occasion you've got 5 decisions to make in 30 seconds after someone has hurt themselves and blown apart your structure. You have to make the right calls, communicate them, effectively so the runner to understands them and then see it implemented correctly. I guess I imagined just picking players up and shifting them like some sort of board game.

It's so frustrating though, this is word for word from Satdee - "go and tell Smithy to always stay goal side and to be on his 45 with an arm on his hip at all times". Runner goes out, tells Smithy, he nods, proceeds to stand 10m in front of opponent. Drag Smithy. Tell Smithy personally and provide example of what I mean. Smithy acknowledges instructions, runs out and proceeds to stand 10m to the left of his opponent.

Then simple things that I've always just thought people knew - like not rush kicking into the corridor when under pressure in defence. Locking it in rather than spilling it out when they have numbers around the contest. Not leaving your man and rushing to an opponent when a team mate already has them under pressure. Staying down in the contest if you're a midget. Holding space when trying to read the contest as a rover rather than sprinting at it and being too close. Usually as a spectator I see these things and just turn off and accept it, but now as someone somewhat responsible I feel I have to tell them, but of course I can't send the poor runner out after almost every contest.

I can see why coaches have shorter life spans and I'm only dealing with 5% of it.

You're trying to get D7 reserves to play like this? :shock:
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2637 times
Been liked: 1865 times

Postby Footy Chick » Mon Jun 22, 2015 1:30 pm

one runner at a time.

We used two runners for a while.
Don't play games with a girl who can play 'em better...

Gatt_Weasel wrote:if they (Walkerville) dont win the flag ill run around the block of my street naked :) you can grab a chair and enjoy the view
Footy Chick

Has liked: 1744 times
Been liked: 2154 times

Postby morell » Mon Jun 22, 2015 2:17 pm

MW wrote:You're trying to get D7 reserves to play like this? :shock:
It's pretty simple stuff isn't it? Perhaps a lot is just games under the belt and experience.

It's not like we're trying to implement a rolling zone or forward press...
morell
Coach

Postby MW » Mon Jun 22, 2015 2:20 pm

morell wrote:
MW wrote:You're trying to get D7 reserves to play like this? :shock:
It's pretty simple stuff isn't it? Perhaps a lot is just games under the belt and experience.

It's not like we're trying to implement a rolling zone or forward press...

Nah agree with you mate, but having played D7 res before (10 years ago...) fair to say we had zero game plan (and won premierships)
but you're right...basic knowledge on where to stand and when to go to a contest is important.
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2637 times
Been liked: 1865 times

Postby morell » Tue Jun 23, 2015 10:11 am

Is anyone aware of a digital/online magnet mover? There used to be one called aflmagnets or something but I cant find it. Preferably compatible with an iPad...

If not I am tempted to build one.
morell
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Adelaide Footy League