Port Adelaide 2015

Talk on the national game

Re: Port Adelaide 2015

Postby Chuck Wepner » Sat Jun 20, 2015 11:52 pm

southee wrote:
FOURTH ESTATE wrote:Time for all Port people and the Media to realise that Port Adelaide is just not that good, they have been found out and wanting. Your season is over now go away!!!

When you have people like Rucci writing biased BS stories about Port in the Adelaide media ....We don't have a choice :(

Yes you do. Don't buy the paper.
I say no to drugs, but they don’t listen.
Chuck Wepner
Under 16s

Has liked: 46 times
Been liked: 23 times
Grassroots Team: United Yeelanna

Postby daysofourlives » Sun Jun 21, 2015 12:11 am

Chuck Wepner wrote:
southee wrote:
FOURTH ESTATE wrote:Time for all Port people and the Media to realise that Port Adelaide is just not that good, they have been found out and wanting. Your season is over now go away!!!

When you have people like Rucci writing biased BS stories about Port in the Adelaide media ....We don't have a choice :(

Yes you do. Don't buy the paper.

Or better yet don't believe everything you read, like the players obviously have
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
Spargo's Good Friday Cup Champion 2020
daysofourlives
Coach

Has liked: 2425 times
Been liked: 1663 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

Postby RustyCage » Sun Jun 21, 2015 2:52 pm

We are a lot better than what we are showing. Something isn't clicking and it's at the stage where it's almost too late to find it and have it count
I'm gonna break my rusty cage and run
RustyCage

Has liked: 1260 times
Been liked: 933 times

Postby Brodlach » Sun Jun 21, 2015 4:04 pm

Take out the great start last year they are 11 wins 16 losses from their last 27 games.
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4217 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby MW » Sun Jun 21, 2015 6:10 pm

I've listened to about 3 interviews on radio (5AA, Triple M and 5AA again) regarding the Port game, and all I hear is its the umpires fault and Gibbs fault that Port lost. Seems to be a pattern (umps) every loss.
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2633 times
Been liked: 1863 times

Postby stan » Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:17 pm

MW wrote:I've listened to about 3 interviews on radio (5AA, Triple M and 5AA again) regarding the Port game, and all I hear is its the umpires fault and Gibbs fault that Port lost. Seems to be a pattern (umps) every loss.

Yeah it sounds like the black birds.
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1255 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby MW » Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:19 pm

Of course it does.
MW
Coach

Postby kneedeepinthehoopla » Sun Jun 21, 2015 9:48 pm

I see Dom found a way to be an even bigger tosser yesterday. Typical.
kneedeepinthehoopla
Under 16s

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 54 times

Postby Booney » Mon Jun 22, 2015 7:18 am

kneedeepinthehoopla wrote:I see Dom found a way to be an even bigger tosser yesterday. Typical.

When was Cassisi ever a tosser? Gutsy player with limited ability made the most of his chances. Have a laugh mate, there's a reason Gibbs has a girls haircut, you know. :lol:
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7519 times
Been liked: 10817 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Mon Jun 22, 2015 9:47 am

Watching Kane Mitchell go about his craft hurts my eyes.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4348 times
Been liked: 7942 times

Postby Booney » Mon Jun 22, 2015 11:46 am

Well, where does one start after a performance like that?

I've had some pretty disappointing days in years gone by watching my side play, but I thought and believed those dark days of pre-2013 were gone. I certainly have more faith in this group of players than I did 4 years ago but my faith in the processes the coaching staff are adhering to is surely being questioned.

Whilst we didn't cop a hiding on Saturday there were so many, many facets of our game that have gone from being a mild concern 6 weeks ago to downright worrying now.

1 - Our skill level in the basics of the game. Marking the ball when clear of opponents, kicking the ball to an open team mate and hitting the player in front with hand balls to release and create run. Much of this is confidence based, the players who are making fundamental mistakes have shown they have the skills they are just not executing them at this point and it is killing us. Broadbent, Ebert, Hartlett, Jonas, Trengove to name a few on the weekend looked like players well below AFL standard and 2 of them, Broadbent and Hartlett are known competition wide for their skills, especially by foot.

First quarter, just outside Port's forward 50 and Ebert in space drops a ball about waist height that should be gobbled up. Turn over, Carlton goal.

2 - Our ability to use the ball under pressure, in fact, not even use the ball but simply get a handle on it ( see skills above ). Our skills under pressure have been terrible for several weeks, probably began in the Sydney game and were hidden by wins over Adelaide and Hawthorn before being found out against Richmond, Brisbane, West Coast, Geelong and now Carlton. When under any duress we just cough the ball up and concede goal after goal from turnovers.

3 - The most frustrating aspect of our current form. When we don't have the ball we are not working hard enough to win the ball back. This, as shown by Carlton on the weekend, is based on application and attitude and not talent. Intent to tackle, intent to chase and intent to compete has nothing to do with skill level and everything to do with mindset. Our mindset is the most disappointing part of the last few weeks for me. too many missed tackles, opposition players bursting from stoppages, defenders not creating body pressure in the one on one contests. All mind set.

4 - Now, all clubs pretty much know what all the others clubs do as far as game style goes. With scouts watching opponents, video analysis, heat maps etc etc it's very easy to identify how clubs like to play. No secrets that we play the corridor, our intent is to square up and run through the middle.

Well, folks, the opposition clubs are cluttering that space and outnumbering us in there yet we persist on tracking along that path. In the last 5-6 weeks the amount of times we have been without a target through half forward is downright worrying.

Defence and mids look to the corridor after 3 summers of training that way but the forwards are playing wide as they can see the space is filled with defenders! So, which one gives? The defenders and mids need to be aware that the forwards are leading to space they previously weren't, why can I see that and our back/mids cant?

A couple of positives before I get angry.

Chad v2.0 is delivering numbers up there with his AA season. Averaging more disposals, more marks and more goals. His last month has been electrifying after a slow but not poor start to the year. Perhaps the fact he's alone inside F50 at times is the reason for his increased goal scoring output.

Wines, Boak and Gray. Our three key mids are still in form and doing their fare share. 19 clearances between them on the weekend ( and Gray missed the second half ) means that are doing their bit. All still averaging high 20 possies per game.

Hombsch. Clearly our most reliable defender who through sheer desperation was sent forward on Saturday as he seems to be one of very few big men who are currently reading the ball in the air at Port. Sadly he had about 5 minutes forward before Henderson lost Carlile in traffic and Hombsch had to go back to shut down the Blues key forward. We didn't get a chance to see the ball in his area forward of centre to see if he could offer something.

Colquhoun - Sammy was an important part of the later half of 2013 and was one of our best the night Geelong beat us in the semi final in Melbourne. His return has been nothing short of spot on. Some solid games with the Magpies late last year and early this year with a deserved recall into the AFL side and he's been solid at worst since his return. A real positive.

On the flip side, Monfries is playing a defensive forward role that takes his most potent weapon of leading up and marking away from him and makes him chase/harass seemingly first and foremost, Westhoff is all out of sorts and struggling to take a grab in a goal scoring / dangerous position, all his best aerial work is down back, Schulz looks to be right out of touch ( Saturday and his wifes hospitalization aside - I hope she is ok ) and Jonas who has been very reliable has a dose of the fumbles.

Not sure what the coaches see in Mitchell, his "motor" is super so if he is picked then make him do a full shutdown role as his ability to kick to nobody is the likes of which I have never seen. Bagging your own is not something I'm happy to do, at SANFL level he tears it up and can actually use the ball. I'm not sure if it's lack of time at the top level or his skills are limited.

I really could just go on and on......
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby bennymacca » Mon Jun 22, 2015 11:52 am

Good points boon. Seems like teams just crowd the corridor now and port don't have a plan B and their structures are shot.
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby kneedeepinthehoopla » Mon Jun 22, 2015 12:10 pm

Booney wrote:
kneedeepinthehoopla wrote:I see Dom found a way to be an even bigger tosser yesterday. Typical.

When was Cassisi ever a tosser? Gutsy player with limited ability made the most of his chances. Have a laugh mate, there's a reason Gibbs has a girls haircut, you know. :lol:

He was a tosser when i met him. If it was anyone else, I wouldn't have bitten. It might even have been a fair call!
Awful haircut. Reckon he'll get weeks? For the tackle, not the hair.
kneedeepinthehoopla
Under 16s

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 54 times

Postby Booney » Mon Jun 22, 2015 12:12 pm

kneedeepinthehoopla wrote:
Booney wrote:

He was a tosser when i met him. If it was anyone else, I wouldn't have bitten. It might even have been a fair call!

One week for the tackle with a reprimand would be right IMO. No need to miss games as that sort of tackle happens all the time, just a warning shot to players to start to demonstrate a bit of care to the player you are tackling. Was reckless IMO. Once you've got a blokes arms pinned and you have control of his body and where it goes there's no need to bury him like that.

3 weeks for the hair cut. ;)
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Rik E Boy » Mon Jun 22, 2015 12:54 pm

Booney wrote:
kneedeepinthehoopla wrote:
Booney wrote:

One week for the tackle with a reprimand would be right IMO. No need to miss games as that sort of tackle happens all the time, just a warning shot to players to start to demonstrate a bit of care to the player you are tackling. Was reckless IMO. Once you've got a blokes arms pinned and you have control of his body and where it goes there's no need to bury him like that.

3 weeks for the hair cut. ;)

Tell that to Darren Milburn.

What you posted above Booney is pretty much the same as Geelong. We do the same thing. Corridor, Corridor, Corridor. Full of opposition players? Kick it there anyway! Bad luck mate you got the Geelong game plan and it' s been worked out.

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Has liked: 1699 times
Been liked: 1819 times

Postby MW » Mon Jun 22, 2015 1:24 pm

If you want to play down the wings, I hear Malthouse is out of work
MW
Coach

Postby bennymacca » Mon Jun 22, 2015 9:53 pm

Browny and dunstall giving Hinkley a fair grilling on the couch, he looks a bit uncomfortable, it might be the first time he has had this before, but seems to be handling it well
bennymacca
Coach

Postby helicopterking » Mon Jun 22, 2015 10:08 pm

bennymacca wrote:Browny and dunstall giving Hinkley a fair grilling on the couch, he looks a bit uncomfortable, it might be the first time he has had this before, but seems to be handling it well

It was good TV, I thought he was getting a little agitated.
helicopterking
Coach

Has liked: 298 times
Been liked: 670 times

Postby bennymacca » Mon Jun 22, 2015 10:17 pm

Yeah they certainly weren't holding back but Hinkley kept his cool well
bennymacca
Coach

Postby mal » Mon Jun 22, 2015 10:38 pm

3 weeks for the Gibbs tackle on Gray
No free kick paid to Port Adelaide
Should the logic be the umpire get a suspension ?
mal
Coach

Has liked: 1167 times
Been liked: 925 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL