2015 Frank Worral and Ashes Tours

First Class Cricket Talk (International and State)

Re: 2015 Frank Worral and Ashes Tours

Postby Grahaml » Wed Jun 17, 2015 12:57 pm

I think the big difference to the McGrath years is the spin bowling. IMHO the current seamers are the equal of McGrath/Gillespie in their peak and I reckon blokes missing are better than Brett Lee. The thing with McGrath as an individual was the longevity. He produced what Ryan Harris and Josh Hazlewood have in short periods over the course of more than a decade.

Johnson always had ability. Even the times he seemed to bowl badly he was picking up wickets. He was strong, robust, could bat and field. Just a shame nobody managed to unlock his full potential much sooner.
Grahaml
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 169 times

Postby Rik E Boy » Wed Jun 17, 2015 1:13 pm

Grahaml wrote:I think the big difference to the McGrath years is the spin bowling. IMHO the current seamers are the equal of McGrath/Gillespie in their peak and I reckon blokes missing are better than Brett Lee. The thing with McGrath as an individual was the longevity. He produced what Ryan Harris and Josh Hazlewood have in short periods over the course of more than a decade.

Johnson always had ability. Even the times he seemed to bowl badly he was picking up wickets. He was strong, robust, could bat and field. Just a shame nobody managed to unlock his full potential much sooner.

Johnson's a strange one. At his best he had that ability to swing the ball back in. I think he's gone back to scaring batsmen out and that is where he will stay. Regardless of his eventual wicket tally he'll behind plenty of Australian bowlers even thos who have taken much fewer wickets. When Johnson 'went off the rails' Australia's best ever scare bowler Jeff Thomson had his shoulder wrecked when he crashed into Allan Turner in 1976.

Dennis Lillee was at his peak when the WSC years were happening and the orignal Demon Frank Spofforth just didn't get to play that many tests. Loved Johnson's work in the 5-0 series against England but his best was when he swung that ball back in. Imagine facing that...ball swings away at 145 but every now and then one swings back CRASH. See ya.

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Has liked: 1698 times
Been liked: 1818 times

Postby tigerpie » Wed Jun 17, 2015 2:30 pm

If Johnson cant swing the duke then he wont play all 5 tests. Picking Harris is a big call. I hope he gets enough lead up cricket to be certain he's fit and bowling well.
tigerpie
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 500 times
Been liked: 431 times

Postby bennymacca » Wed Jun 17, 2015 2:37 pm

tigerpie wrote:If Johnson cant swing the duke then he wont play all 5 tests. Picking Harris is a big call. I hope he gets enough lead up cricket to be certain he's fit and bowling well.

Possible that they rest Harris during the series, particularly if they have back to back tests?
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby Footy Smart » Wed Jun 17, 2015 4:04 pm

Johnson's a strange one. At his best he had that ability to swing the ball back in. I think he's gone back to scaring batsmen out and that is where he will stay. Regardless of his eventual wicket tally he'll behind plenty of Australian bowlers even thos who have taken much fewer wickets. When Johnson 'went off the rails' Australia's best ever scare bowler Jeff Thomson had his shoulder wrecked when he crashed into Allan Turner in 1976.

Johnson's ability to scare batsmen while it may not add to his wicket tally. How many blokes would have survived his over and thought 'few ive survived that'. they then relax a bit and schnick off to ryno, hazelwood, siddle or even watson with his militaries
Footy Smart
Coach

Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 118 times
Grassroots Team: Modbury

Postby Grahaml » Wed Jun 17, 2015 4:49 pm

Harris won't need that much lead in cricket. His class and experience will see him through. Just a question of his body holding up.

Frightening to think that as good as Johnson is at his best Starc should be better and more consistent. Bowls with better height at the crease and seems to bowl faster with less effort while he seems the ball around more naturally than Johnson. Starc has the weapons to be our greatest quick ever. Just how much he cashes in remains to be seen.
Grahaml
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 169 times

Postby Rik E Boy » Thu Jun 18, 2015 11:06 pm

Footy Smart wrote:

Johnson's ability to scare batsmen while it may not add to his wicket tally. How many blokes would have survived his over and thought 'few ive survived that'. they then relax a bit and schnick off to ryno, hazelwood, siddle or even watson with his militaries

This is a good point. I've opened the batting many times and despite playing in the lower grades you would still come up against a nippy one every now and then. My nemesis was Culpitt of United Districts. Man he used to hit me all the time...but it was mate Lombardi who used to get me out.

A blast from the past for mal...he might remember those blokes.

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Has liked: 1698 times
Been liked: 1818 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Fri Jun 19, 2015 1:40 pm

Rik E Boy wrote:
Footy Smart wrote:

This is a good point. I've opened the batting many times and despite playing in the lower grades you would still come up against a nippy one every now and then. My nemesis was Culpitt of United Districts. Man he used to hit me all the time...but it was mate Lombardi who used to get me out.

A blast from the past for mal...he might remember those blokes.

regards,

REB

mal's nemesis was Victor Trumper.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4344 times
Been liked: 7921 times

Postby Jim05 » Fri Jun 19, 2015 4:30 pm

Starc needs to grow a pair and start rattling helmets, has some real potential but seems not to have real fire in his belly. He could be anything when he gets some mongrel in him
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1126 times
Been liked: 3552 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby bennymacca » Sat Jun 20, 2015 12:29 pm

Jim05 wrote:Starc needs to grow a pair and start rattling helmets, has some real potential but seems not to have real fire in his belly. He could be anything when he gets some mongrel in him

reckon we saw that in the world cup. Looks like he is translating that into the red ball version too
bennymacca
Coach

Postby The Dark Knight » Sat Jun 20, 2015 4:34 pm

bennymacca wrote:
Jim05 wrote:Starc needs to grow a pair and start rattling helmets, has some real potential but seems not to have real fire in his belly. He could be anything when he gets some mongrel in him

reckon we saw that in the world cup. Looks like he is translating that into the red ball version too

Yeah the signs are there he's definitely got more mongrel in him so hopefully he can take it into the Ashes
The Dark Knight
Coach

Has liked: 10331 times
Been liked: 1519 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby mal » Thu Jun 25, 2015 1:21 pm

Australia has devasTAITing left arm fast bowlers , Mitchell Johnson, Lightning Mcqueen and Mitchell Starc
England might be unleashing a great white hope , their left arm fast bowler Mark Footitt, who might make his Test debut in 2015

FOOTITT FIRST CLASS BOWLING
230 wickets
26.16 average
44.83 strike rate
3.50 economy

Mark Footitt has an excellent strike rate of 44.83
50 is a decent strike rate , 44 is exceptional , that strike rate is very Lightning Mcqueenesque
mal
Coach

Has liked: 1152 times
Been liked: 904 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Thu Jun 25, 2015 1:25 pm

mal wrote:Australia has devasTAITing left arm fast bowlers , Mitchell Johnson, Lightning Mcqueen and Mitchell Starc
England might be unleashing a great white hope , their left arm fast bowler Mark Footitt, who might make his Test debut in 2015

230 wickets
26.16 average
44.83 strike rate
3.50 economy

50 is a decent strike rate , 44 is exceptional , that strike rate is very Lightning Mcqueenesque

I've retired mate.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4344 times
Been liked: 7921 times

Postby carey » Thu Jun 25, 2015 1:27 pm

mal wrote:Australia has devasTAITing left arm fast bowlers , Mitchell Johnson, Lightning Mcqueen and Mitchell Starc

230 wickets
26.16 average
44.83 strike rate
3.50 economy

Lighting was a very handy left arm quick in his day. The prick terrorized me as a young opening batsman.
you've gota keep on keep'n on .........
carey
Coach

Has liked: 2808 times
Been liked: 2996 times
Grassroots Team: Paralowie

Postby heater31 » Thu Jun 25, 2015 1:45 pm

230 wickets
26.16 average
44.83 strike rate
3.50 economy

My Stats are better...... 161 @ 13.57 Strike 33.73 Econ 2.41 ;)
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1263 times

Postby Dogwatcher » Thu Jun 25, 2015 1:57 pm

carey wrote:

230 wickets
26.16 average
44.83 strike rate
3.50 economy

Lighting was a very handy left arm quick in his day. The prick terrorized me as a young opening batsman.

Terrorised me as a young team-mate. Although, his mates James Morris and Paul Cox probably had me more worried in the nets, at times ;)
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby The Dark Knight » Fri Jun 26, 2015 9:34 am

Australia started a tour match against Kent last night, at stumps Australia were 3 for 348.

Rogers 84
S. Marsh 114
Smith 71 not out
Clarke 56
Watson 8 not out

So a decent hit out for the top 4.

The rest of the team for this match is
M.Marsh
Haddin
Johnson
Harris
Siddle
Ahmed
The Dark Knight
Coach

Postby bennymacca » Fri Jun 26, 2015 10:14 am

still reckon the most interesting thing will be what our pace attack ends up looking like. Hazelwood got man of the series, and Starc is bowling super well too, so who do you drop for harris? Surely you cant drop Johnson, so i honestly dont know who they will go with.
bennymacca
Coach

Postby The Dark Knight » Fri Jun 26, 2015 10:49 am

bennymacca wrote:still reckon the most interesting thing will be what our pace attack ends up looking like. Hazelwood got man of the series, and Starc is bowling super well too, so who do you drop for harris? Surely you cant drop Johnson, so i honestly dont know who they will go with.

I'd go with Johnson, Harris and Hazlewood. Starc unlucky but I'm not quite convinced he's good enough at test match level just yet to knock one of them 3 out of the side. Although he will play at least one test IMO as they will rest Harris.

Siddle's chances of playing test cricket are becoming thinner.
Last edited by The Dark Knight on Fri Jun 26, 2015 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Dark Knight
Coach

Postby bennymacca » Fri Jun 26, 2015 10:49 am

Yeah I can easily see Harris only playing 3 tests.
bennymacca
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Other Sports  Cricket