The 2015 Attendance Comparisons Thread

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: The 2015 Attendance Comparisons Thread

Postby am Bays » Tue Jun 30, 2015 4:49 pm

Dutchy wrote:And the league has been blessed with a VERY dry winter, imagine if we had a normal winter?

But that is countered by above average rainfall in April and May.....
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 162 times
Been liked: 1809 times

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Tue Jun 30, 2015 4:51 pm

I don't remember too many wet weekends through april and may that would have had a real big impact on crowds
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11840 times
Been liked: 3598 times

Postby matt35 » Tue Jun 30, 2015 5:34 pm

I can name one significant one without even thinking; the night before Anzac Day! Absolute shocker of a night which would have had a significant impact on both games. That night we saw crowds of 5 and a half thousand at Adelaide Oval and around 2100 at Glenelg. I think double those crowds would have been realistically expected on an even half decent night.
No Surrender!
matt35
Under 18s

Has liked: 513 times
Been liked: 51 times
Grassroots Team: Boston

Postby Panther Pack » Tue Jun 30, 2015 6:43 pm

Dutchy wrote:
Panther Pack wrote:
Prob as much relevance as the Southern Footy Leagues grand final and South home game crowds have to each other bugger all......

Says more about South and their lack of engagement with their community

Not all clubs in Southern Football league in South's zone so a grand final between Brighton v Happy Valley really not relevant to South Adelaide crowds is it mate.

I noticed the crowd for the shield game at Glenelg Oval was small Glenelg Football Club really need to engage with cricket supporters better say a lot about Glenelg Football Club....
Panther Pack
Reserves

Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 139 times

Postby Wedgie » Tue Jun 30, 2015 8:27 pm

Just said on the weather that it was the driest June on record.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2042 times
Been liked: 3887 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby Wedgie » Tue Jun 30, 2015 8:35 pm

South do a great job in their zone, better than others I've been aware of, only problem down there is kids grow up only following their SFL side and an AFL side, even in the mid 90s people down there I played footy with thought I was crazy for still following a SANFL side as noone else did.
They got in there too late with an area that traditionally wasn't theirs.
I couldn't speak more highly of the work they did at my SFL club, my kids Auskick school and my son's primary school.
My son had mates in West and Glenelg's zones and they heard nothing but luckily for those kids South still looked after them.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Postby therisingblues » Tue Jun 30, 2015 9:01 pm

Agree that they moved down there too late. Very tough to win new fans in the SANFL since the circus came to town. The best clubs can hope for is to re-engage dormant fans, and their children, but I can't see anyone returning to the SANFL to switch alignment because a different side is having success. I doubt norwood's current run has drawn any new supporters to SANFL matches who weren't dormant norwood supporters already
Things are as they are and numbers will never increase beyond those allegiances made before the circus came to town.
I'm gonna sit back, crack the top off a Pale Ale, and watch the Double Blues prevail
1915, 1919, 1926, 1932, 1940, 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1974, 1976, 2002, 2016, 2017
therisingblues
Coach

Has liked: 369 times
Been liked: 514 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby dipper » Tue Jun 30, 2015 9:21 pm

Wedgie wrote:South do a great job in their zone, better than others I've been aware of,

I'm actually disappointed with South and the work in their zone. My son used to play football for his school a two seasons ago. He went to a training day at Noarlunga Oval when Power players were in attendance. Not one South player or official was seen. I would have thought they would be there helping out the young kids and giving out free (or at least two for one) tickets to their next home game.

He played a mini league game at half time in a league game (the school was only told a few days before the game). Each player was supposed to receive something after the game, they had nothing and were promised it would be sent to the school that week. Nothing showed up!

No AFL or SANFL players have ever been to the school in the 5 years my son has been at the school.

My son (like me) is a mad Norwood supporter, is a member and goes to all the SANFL games but has stopped playing footy all together! They keep talking about grass roots football but I see nothing happening locally.

My son now plays ten pin bowling and indoor cricket and probably won't go back to footy.
dipper
Mini-League

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time

Postby Dutchy » Tue Jun 30, 2015 10:19 pm

Panther Pack wrote:
Dutchy wrote:
Panther Pack wrote:
Prob as much relevance as the Southern Footy Leagues grand final and South home game crowds have to each other bugger all......

Not all clubs in Southern Football league in South's zone so a grand final between Brighton v Happy Valley really not relevant to South Adelaide crowds is it mate.

Well that is a tad embarassing considering Happy Valley is in South's zone :oops: :oops: :oops: says a fair bit in itself
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2322 times
Been liked: 3496 times

Postby Dutchy » Tue Jun 30, 2015 10:31 pm

Wedgie wrote:South do a great job in their zone, better than others I've been aware of, only problem down there is kids grow up only following their SFL side and an AFL side, even in the mid 90s people down there I played footy with thought I was crazy for still following a SANFL side as noone else did.
They got in there too late with an area that traditionally wasn't theirs.
I couldn't speak more highly of the work they did at my SFL club, my kids Auskick school and my son's primary school.
My son had mates in West and Glenelg's zones and they heard nothing but luckily for those kids South still looked after them.

I agree their work in recent years has been excellent, it was the previous 15 or so years when they needed to make a footprint in the South, which would have flowed through a generation, that was the issue. I coach some kids at South and West and South's program is clearly superior.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Postby Dutchy » Tue Jun 30, 2015 10:36 pm

am Bays wrote:
Dutchy wrote:And the league has been blessed with a VERY dry winter, imagine if we had a normal winter?

And that would suggest crowds would have improved in June, but haven't
Dutchy
Site Admin

Postby matt35 » Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:02 am

Actually, by my calculations, crowds are up June on June, it's just that we are now coming from a fair way behind! I get;

June 2014: 17 games, total crowd figure of 43,130; average 2537.
June 2015: 15 games, total crowd figure 43,195; average 2880.
No Surrender!
matt35
Under 18s

Postby mal » Wed Jul 01, 2015 1:07 am

am Bays wrote:

The only thing that really matters is the weather on the day of the games
How many times has anyone stood in the rain this season watching the games ?
How many times has anyone intending to go been put off by the weather this season ?

Ive been to 6 games this season
I got slightly wet at the North V Norwood game during the game , it did rain heavily about 10 minutes after the game finished
The other 5 games were in fine weather conditions
So in at least 6 rounds of football , the weather had not put me off attending

I did see a game on TV where it was wet though, that being a Eagles v Sturt game at Woodville oval
mal
Coach

Has liked: 1152 times
Been liked: 904 times

Postby Wedgie » Wed Jul 01, 2015 8:36 am

Dutchy wrote:
Panther Pack wrote:
Dutchy wrote:
Panther Pack wrote:

Well that is a tad embarassing considering Happy Valley is in South's zone :oops: :oops: :oops: says a fair bit in itself

Only as of this year, you're being a bit harsh.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Postby Dutchy » Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:54 am

My understanding is the suburb of Happy Valley has always been South, Aberfoyle Park (where HV Club is) was West and is now South.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Postby matt35 » Wed Jul 01, 2015 11:05 am

Can only think of one Glenelg game I have missed this year 100 percent due to weather, and that was the night I have already mentioned, Anzac weekend, and I know I certainly wasn't alone that night. I missed our game against Port at Alberton due to family commitments but do remember us driving in heavy rain that afternoon. Can think of a couple of ordinary nights where we still went, but it takes a lot to keep us away!

The point when it comes to weather is that April and May generally see our best weather and best crowds; that was not the case this year. We are now in an unusually good run of weather for this time of year and this looks likely to continue. We've made some ground up in June with crowds as I've mentioned with the June on June numbers; I hope this continues.
No Surrender!
matt35
Under 18s

Postby Booney » Wed Jul 01, 2015 11:26 am

Wedgie wrote:Just said on the weather that it was the driest June on record.

Driest June since 2006. I'm glad I can be here to inform.
Last edited by Booney on Wed Jul 01, 2015 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7491 times
Been liked: 10772 times

Postby Wedgie » Wed Jul 01, 2015 11:37 am

Dutchy wrote:My understanding is the suburb of Happy Valley has always been South, Aberfoyle Park (where HV Club is) was West and is now South.

Yes but he mentioned the club of Happy Valley which is in the middle of Aberfoyle Park.
Every kid I know in the suburb of Happy Valley plays for Reynella which is much closer than where the HV club play at.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Postby Wedgie » Wed Jul 01, 2015 11:45 am

At the end of the day no matter who's zones what or how much rain there's been only a completely brain dead person with no clue about the SANFL could deny the AFL reserves debacle has had a detrimental effect on crowds.
It is extremely obvious.
And that's with thousands of people now being eligible for free entry.
Time to review and scrap it.
They tried it, it failed, move on.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Postby Booney » Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:33 pm

No denying the impact has been massive, no denying it at all.

Do you think the SANFL clubs who were spineless in the first instance will have the back bone to stand up this time around?
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7491 times
Been liked: 10772 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL