Phil Walsh murdered

Talk on the national game

Re: Phil Walsh murdered

Postby bennymacca » Fri Jul 03, 2015 11:10 am

Titus O'Reily being serious for once. And his words are perfect really.

http://titusoreily.com/some-random-thou ... d-morning/

Some random thoughts on a bad morning
All we are really looking for in this life is a connection.

For all the brash talk sometimes of not needing anyone else, all we really want is some connection to other people, to something bigger than ourselves, to the broad mass of humankind.

It’s kind of the reason we follow sport as passionately as we do. Deep down on a some level we know it’s silly, pointless really in the scheme of things.

Yet it’s never really about a game where a bunch of people chase a ball around or arguing about whether one grown man properly disposed of the ball or held a mark long enough. It’s the human element, that connection to other people, often people we have never met.

It’s even people we’ve never heard about but we know are out there. That mass of footy fans out there, all riding the highs and lows, all pouring time into something that only has meaning because we all choose to give it meaning.

There are far better people than me to eulogise Phil Walsh. I imagine what we are all feeling is a very poor facsimile of what the people who actually knew him are currently feeling.

So why do the rest of us react to this like we do? To the passing of someone we didn’t even know? After all, it’s a sad fact of life that wonderful people pass away all the time, often to the ignorance of the majority of us.

I think we react like this because what we feel is the breaking of one of those connections.

Someone who cared about something we did, who shared experiences, probably admired people we did and shared the joy and frustrations of this game is gone.

We also sense something that is at the heart of much of life; that it often makes no sense. Searching for meaning where there is none is part of why we all feel a bit lost this morning.

The only comfort I can find in this is that so many others are feeling what I’m feeling today. We’re all connected because of football and we are lucky to be.

Vale Phil Walsh
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby Dogwatcher » Fri Jul 03, 2015 11:16 am

Underneath our tribal colours, we are all one - the football community. Condolences to all impacted by the tragic death of Phil Walsh.
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Fri Jul 03, 2015 11:19 am

The two teams play at geelong in the last round.

The match to be played this sunday should be played midweek before that match.
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11805 times
Been liked: 3582 times

Postby The Bedge » Fri Jul 03, 2015 11:29 am

Eerie, this was in an interview with Mark Robinson a couple of months ago:

“But have I been a good father? To my son, I had a disconnect because of footy."
“I just immersed myself, got consumed and was selfish with as much time I committed to footy. I’m basically talking about my 10 years at Port Adelaide, just the desperation to win a premiership and I thought it was all about me, when it’s all about the players."
"I lost that connection and I’m trying to reconnect with my son, which I have done."
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3188 times
Been liked: 3989 times

Postby Hondo » Fri Jul 03, 2015 11:30 am

My thoughts are also with his poor wife having to face the reality of a shattered family. Also any other siblings.

This will be something that will be with them for the rest of their lives.

She has lost a husband and in some way a son.

Really, really terrible. I can't quite process it still.
Last edited by Hondo on Fri Jul 03, 2015 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
In between signatures .....
Hondo
Coach

Has liked: 70 times
Been liked: 32 times

Postby Brodlach » Fri Jul 03, 2015 11:37 am

Unconfirmed reports the SANFL will not be played this weekend
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4206 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby whufc » Fri Jul 03, 2015 11:38 am

Zartan wrote:Eerie, this was in an interview with Mark Robinson a couple of months ago:

“But have I been a good father? To my son, I had a disconnect because of footy."
“I just immersed myself, got consumed and was selfish with as much time I committed to footy. I’m basically talking about my 10 years at Port Adelaide, just the desperation to win a premiership and I thought it was all about me, when it’s all about the players."
"I lost that connection and I’m trying to reconnect with my son, which I have done."

Reading that sent shivers up my spine!!!

Definatly spending the night spoiling my two princesses tonight, probably the only way as a football I can pay tribute to Phil Walsh, as possibly that's what he would want us to all do
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5565 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby whufc » Fri Jul 03, 2015 11:39 am

Brodlach wrote:Unconfirmed reports the SANFL will not be played this weekend

Fair enough as well if that's the deciscion that is made.
whufc
Coach

Postby Dutchy » Fri Jul 03, 2015 11:52 am

Only 2 weeks ago :(
Attachments
Screenshot_2015-07-03-10-49-24_resized.png
(767.59 KiB) Downloaded 26 times
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2311 times
Been liked: 3482 times

Postby Hondo » Fri Jul 03, 2015 11:55 am

Apparently he had a 22 year old daughter as well

The emotional repercussions for the family ongoing are awful to think about.
In between signatures .....
Hondo
Coach

Has liked: 70 times
Been liked: 32 times

Postby Ramrod » Fri Jul 03, 2015 11:56 am

i really dont want to sound harsh or anything like that. But in all fairness i dont think the whole SANFL should be cancelled and i dont think the AFL games should be cancelled either. If you are a player and you want to sit out this game 100% thats fine, but i dont think everything needs to be called off. Absolutely devestating news, but boys go out there and have fun with your mates, trust me it will be good for you.
Dont Hate me cause you Aint me.
Ramrod
Rookie

Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 10 times
Grassroots Team: Imperials

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Fri Jul 03, 2015 12:02 pm

Agreed

the matches involving adelaide to be cancelled
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11805 times
Been liked: 3582 times

Postby Ramrod » Fri Jul 03, 2015 12:07 pm

mighty_tiger_79 wrote:Agreed

the matches involving adelaide to be cancelled

I guess it purely comes down to the players. There might be some that would love to honour Phil by playing while others would prefer to sit out. Will be interesting to see what happens.
Ramrod
Rookie

Postby whufc » Fri Jul 03, 2015 12:08 pm

Ramrod wrote:i really dont want to sound harsh or anything like that. But in all fairness i dont think the whole SANFL should be cancelled and i dont think the AFL games should be cancelled either. If you are a player and you want to sit out this game 100% thats fine, but i dont think everything needs to be called off. Absolutely devestating news, but boys go out there and have fun with your mates, trust me it will be good for you.

Can definatly see where you coming from but the AFL community is in reality so small and most players would have known Phil Walsh or had a mate who was coached by him etc etc that they want to be there for

Agreed down to the individual players but I would think a fair portion would sit out
whufc
Coach

Postby JK » Fri Jul 03, 2015 12:13 pm

Ramrod wrote:i really dont want to sound harsh or anything like that. But in all fairness i dont think the whole SANFL should be cancelled and i dont think the AFL games should be cancelled either. If you are a player and you want to sit out this game 100% thats fine, but i dont think everything needs to be called off. Absolutely devestating news, but boys go out there and have fun with your mates, trust me it will be good for you.

IT would be because 2 clubs are (sadly) badly affected, so the easiest solution to keep the programme in check would be to postpone the entire round. It's only football, so probably not a bad idea.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4438 times
Been liked: 2985 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby Ramrod » Fri Jul 03, 2015 12:17 pm

whufc wrote:

Can definatly see where you coming from but the AFL community is in reality so small and most players would have known Phil Walsh or had a mate who was coached by him etc etc that they want to be there for

Agreed down to the individual players but I would think a fair portion would sit out

Being that there is nothing precedence for this it's hard to know what will happen. Similar scenario to the Phil Hughes Tragedy, Players decided it would be best to play. I suppose in that scenario there was a fair time between his death and the game. So we shall see. Speaking from Personal experiences the best thing i did was play cricket the day after one of my good mates passed in a freak accident. Everyones different though
Ramrod
Rookie

Postby human_torpedo » Fri Jul 03, 2015 12:22 pm

Everyone is different. And like you said its never happened before, especially in Australian sport, so its hard to know how people will react.. The Adelaide AFL/SANFL sides almost certainly wont play, and understandably the Port reserves players will be affected also.. Whether the SANFL will proceed with 2 games not being played is up for debate, time will tell..

Heart goes out to all affected by this, a terrible tragedy..
human_torpedo
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 371 times

Postby test » Fri Jul 03, 2015 12:33 pm

Dits just mentioned on Triple M exactly what I've been thinking about, his poor wife, laying there trying to comprehend and process how the f*** this could of happened... So tragic it's unbelievable.
test
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 143 times
Been liked: 31 times
Grassroots Team: Wallaroo

Postby Lightning McQueen » Fri Jul 03, 2015 12:36 pm

test wrote:Dits just mentioned on Triple M exactly what I've been thinking about, his poor wife, laying there trying to comprehend and process how the f*** this could of happened... So tragic it's unbelievable.

Absolutely, her life has just turned on it's end, how do you digest all of this??
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

Postby Wedgie » Fri Jul 03, 2015 12:39 pm

If Sundays game did go ahead it would be surreal as I have tickets, I think I'd cheer both teams wearing my Cats gear and perhaps even want the Crows to win.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2020 times
Been liked: 3862 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL