Boring to attacking ?

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Boring to attacking ?

Postby Bounce of the ball » Mon Jul 06, 2015 8:54 pm

I have always said the SANFL coaching is about 5 years behind AFL trends. Have a couple of clubs caught on that the boring slow down , block up, straggle , very defensive and protect an early lead game ,is beatable at SANFL level? West seem quite attacking whilst defensively good as do the Eagles ? Two of the top 3 clubs and have played 1 less game than some.
I think the landscape is changing and that's a good thing. Where to for some coaches if that's true.
Bounce of the ball
Reserves

Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 65 times

Re: Boring to attacking ?

Postby JK » Mon Jul 06, 2015 8:58 pm

In the main I agree with that .. I think the defensive style has been unlocked to a degree, but it still relies on numbers behind the ball, just quicker transition. Finals is always the litmus test though and traditionally (imho) defensive prowess has stood up better under more intense pressure. Will be interesting to see how it plays out in this major round.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4460 times
Been liked: 2988 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby heater31 » Mon Jul 06, 2015 8:59 pm

Bassett was the first to jump on the press bandwagon in 2010 and South were the last when Brad Gotch took over as coach...
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1263 times

Postby Jim05 » Mon Jul 06, 2015 9:23 pm

Press is a lot harder to do successfully in lower leagues including the SANFL. Needs everyone to buy into it and religiously adhere to it. As soon as there are a weak link or two it wont work.
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1126 times
Been liked: 3552 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby wild dog » Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:13 pm

I like these type of threads as it helps me to better understand the current state of the game. Most games these days I'm either looking out for kids or trying to fit in a quick can or 10. I think one of the best interviews I have read regarding this topic was with the late Phil Walsh. The article is found here http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/adelaide-crows-coach-phil-walsh-believes-footy-needs-to-go-back-to-its-roots/story-fni5f4l8-1227308414798 and really does demonstrate how astute he was. To paraphrase him, It used to be a positional game - netball without the lines where you beat an opponent, and then became an invasion game - like soccer.

I think Centrals were one of the last to really adopt the full zone game as we did master the one on one aggressive game and were reluctant to give it up. Where is it at now. In my eyes watching the Eagles and the way they manage to get it out of the zone and on the quick attack depends on the ability of the players and the freedom from the coach. Walsh said we all play a defensive shape and try to play an offensive shape. Skills, intuition, tactics, Im not sure how the Eagles do it but it is a good game to watch and sure beats watching 5 goals for the game.
wild dog
Under 18s

Has liked: 56 times
Been liked: 180 times
Grassroots Team: Smithfield

Postby spell_check » Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:56 pm

wild dog wrote:I like these type of threads as it helps me to better understand the current state of the game. Most games these days I'm either looking out for kids or trying to fit in a quick can or 10. I think one of the best interviews I have read regarding this topic was with the late Phil Walsh. The article is found here http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/adelaide-crows-coach-phil-walsh-believes-footy-needs-to-go-back-to-its-roots/story-fni5f4l8-1227308414798 and really does demonstrate how astute he was. To paraphrase him, It used to be a positional game - netball without the lines where you beat an opponent, and then became an invasion game - like soccer.

I think Centrals were one of the last to really adopt the full zone game as we did master the one on one aggressive game and were reluctant to give it up. Where is it at now. In my eyes watching the Eagles and the way they manage to get it out of the zone and on the quick attack depends on the ability of the players and the freedom from the coach. Walsh said we all play a defensive shape and try to play an offensive shape. Skills, intuition, tactics, Im not sure how the Eagles do it but it is a good game to watch and sure beats watching 5 goals for the game.

I'm glad you found that article for me, because that's one thing I remember Walsh talking about and I thought, I like that thinking. If only somehow we could get a coach who could win a flag by that thinking, then everyone else would be trying to do it, but better.
spell_check
Coach

Has liked: 45 times
Been liked: 178 times

Postby holden78 » Tue Jul 07, 2015 9:57 am

Jim05 wrote:Press is a lot harder to do successfully in lower leagues including the SANFL. Needs everyone to buy into it and religiously adhere to it. As soon as there are a weak link or two it wont work.

Godden was asked by his club at the end of last season to go against his beliefs/ thinking, to modernise the Eagles gamestyle especially after four finals losses in three years.

Our success though isn't so much down to this, it's having done some recruiting in the last two years that has solved specific areas of
weakness while fighting fire with fire tactically on gameday!

The Eagles only point of difference really is talent...... and if the workrate isn't there we get rolled over on like everyone else,
that's modern footy....
holden78
League - Best 21

Has liked: 37 times
Been liked: 55 times

Postby wild dog » Wed Jul 15, 2015 7:45 pm

spell_check wrote:I'm glad you found that article for me, because that's one thing I remember Walsh talking about and I thought, I like that thinking. If only somehow we could get a coach who could win a flag by that thinking, then everyone else would be trying to do it, but better.

Yes its a good article. Glad you enjoyed it.

Another article in the same mould, which laments the passing of Phil Walsh as a man ahead of his time. The article from the fine Guardian newspaper discusses modern tactics and is basically a book review for a new book Time and Space: the tactics that shaped Australian Rules football and the players and coaches who mastered them by James Coventry. Definitely on my list which tries to explain the current tactics, zones etc.... Seems to discuss more than just the Victorians, and intriguing for North Fans, references Ken Farmer as vastly underrated as a pivotal coaching legend in the development of the game.

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2015/jul/15/understanding-afl-tactics-russell-jackson
wild dog
Under 18s

Has liked: 56 times
Been liked: 180 times
Grassroots Team: Smithfield

Postby holden78 » Mon Jul 27, 2015 9:26 am

Why is it that tackling a forward before the ball gets to him is just ignored and considered normal, thus play on?

Anyone???
holden78
League - Best 21

Has liked: 37 times
Been liked: 55 times

Board index   Football  SANFL