29%
Trinity OS
3%
West Croydon
15%

Total votes : 68

Re: Ch9 AFL Division 6 - 2015

Postby giffo » Mon Jul 06, 2015 11:03 am

Zartan wrote:Always interesting to see which sides have used what number of players:

A Grade
47 - Brahma Lodge
42 - Ingle Farm
38 - Fitzroy
38 - West Croydon
37 - Trinity OS
36 - Lockleys
36 - Smithfield
35 - Mawson Lakes
32 - Central United

B Grade
55 - West Croydon
54 - Fitzroy
54 - Lockleys
52 - Ingle Farm
52 - Mawson Lakes
48 - Brahma Lodge
45 - Smithfield
45 - Trinity OS
44 - Central United

We've also used 58 in the C grade as well.
giffo
Reserves

Has liked: 67 times
Been liked: 34 times
Grassroots Team: Lockleys

Postby The Bedge » Mon Jul 06, 2015 11:08 am

human_torpedo wrote:Seriously massive round coming up this week, all games have a big bearing on ladder positions, as well as the much anticipated 1 v 2, with Lockleys in serious form of late and Smithfield continually churning out massive wins.. IF v Fitzroy will go a long way to deciding 5th.. TOS need to win to maintain 3rd and ML need to get out of 9th.. CU win could give them breathing space from 9th and BL could be thrown right into the battle for 9th with a loss..

Absolutely!
Lockleys v Smithfield - Many would anticipate this could be the GF preview, Lockleys are really beginning to fire of late while no one seems even in the same league as Smithfield - smaller ground at Lockleys this will be an absolute belter of a contest! A Lockleys win would go a long way to securing a top 2 finish, where as a Smithfield win will all but lock away top spot - 2x games clear with 5x to play. In the magoos, there will be plenty of clubs hoping Smithfield can continue on their merry way to keep Lockleys on 5x wins but equally TOS and Brahma will be eager for a Demons upset so they can potentially jump Smiffies.

Fitzroy v Ingle Farm - Welcome to Grand Final in Rd 13. Ingle Farm must win this game or their chances for a finals spot take a serious hit. The Farmers finish the season with arguably 3x of the toughest tests - TOS, West Croydon (Away), Smithfield. With Fitzroy having Lockleys, Smithfield and the bye in the coming weeks to close out the season, a win here would edge them into the 5 on % and would be tough to peg back from there. Equation is simple - winner here plays finals, loser preps for cricket. In the B grade Fitzroy have shown to be quite competitive and wouldn't be without hope heading into this clash. For Ingle Farm, as was pointed out earlier, it's tight in the middle of the ladder and sides just cant afford to drop any games - especially when you have a poor percentage like the Farmers.

Central United v Brahma Lodge - Another contest within a contest - Units desperate to get out of the bottom 2, playing good footy with a never say die attitude - showed again on Saturday vs Ingle Farm they're capable but gave the 'Dogs too much of a lead early. Brahma have struggled but are a proud club, would still want to have an impact on this competition this season. In the B grade it'll be Brahma by how much, and Lehman how many - from what I saw Saturday I don't think Units have a player capable of stopping him, I'm backing a dozen from the big fella.

Mawson Lakes v Trinity OS - A game where so many sides would be hoping the Lakes can pull off a famous upset. If they can beat Trinity it really closes up the game between 3rd and 5th, and adds some pressure to the Tossers, would also be reward for effort for Mawson Lakes who like Central United have battled gallantly all season without much luck. In the B grade TOS will hold onto top spot for another week, and will effectively book their spot in finals - going 5x wins clear of 6th place.

West Croydon - Will be hoping for upsets and injuries everywhere :lol:
Last edited by The Bedge on Mon Jul 06, 2015 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3193 times
Been liked: 4005 times

Postby The Bedge » Mon Jul 06, 2015 11:11 am

giffo wrote:We've also used 58 in the C grade as well.

Highlights just how much depth is out at Lockleys! 58x players through the C grade and still sitting 3rd in C4! It must be a comforting position to be in to know you have players in lower grades that can be called on in times of need to bolster stocks.
The Bedge
Coach

Postby scottroo » Mon Jul 06, 2015 11:52 am

Zartan is there a quick way to find out players used? Wouldn't mid doing it for div 5
scottroo
League - Best 21

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 172 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby LaughingKookaburra » Mon Jul 06, 2015 11:56 am

Go to the ammos website, click on division, then on a club and check the player roster for that division. Haven't checked our 2's but our A's are 45 and C's are 60. Interesting reading through the divisions.
Can you bring a man to his feet when defeat is on repeat?
LaughingKookaburra
Coach

Has liked: 73 times
Been liked: 741 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

Postby The Bedge » Mon Jul 06, 2015 12:06 pm

scottroo wrote:Zartan is there a quick way to find out players used? Wouldn't mid doing it for div 5

How I did it for all sides was:

saafl.asn.au > Competitions > Fixtures & Resuts > D6 > Results > Season Stats > View Full List

Then I just copied the data, pasted into an excel spreadsheet, removed hyperlinks.

Insert Pivot Table > Add 'Team' to row and add Count of Names to Values

*edit* - CLG 43 used in A Grade. BOS least amount with 31 and Woody South the most with 49
The Bedge
Coach

Postby morell » Mon Jul 06, 2015 12:23 pm

Might as well do it for D7 too Zartan. Thanks in advance.
morell
Coach

Has liked: 2017 times
Been liked: 1141 times
Grassroots Team: Mitchell Park

Postby The Bedge » Mon Jul 06, 2015 2:39 pm

We may not be seeing The Milky Bar Kid on here for a while.. Congrats young pup on the birth of your daughter this morning :D
The Bedge
Coach

Postby Q. » Mon Jul 06, 2015 9:00 pm

whufc wrote:
Q. wrote:Miles ahead? How many ammo footy games have you played lately? At the end of every game, teams and umps shake hands and usually have a bit of good-natured banter, and many clubs put on free drinks for an away side.

What about during the game, like I said the rugby guys smash the living suitcases out of each other yet you won't see one punch, headbutt, brawl, king hit, compare that to an ammo footy game.

Umpires simply do not get abused and its to the point only the captain is allowed to or will ever speak to the ref, they are even still refereed to as sir

The overwhelming majority are played in good spirit. Bad news always gets publicity and with about fifty games a weekend alone in the SAAFL, it only takes one out of fifty to get noticed.
Q.
Coach

Has liked: 970 times
Been liked: 2396 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

Postby morell » Tue Jul 07, 2015 9:56 am

whufc wrote:Good stuff guys

I find it interesting recently taking up rugby union the level of respect they have for fair play.

Haven't seen a punch up in the 50 games I have watched, also after each game the home team will forward a guard of honour for the away team to walk through and then the away team form a guard for the home team to walk through, while both teams still do the old 3 cheers to the ref, on getting back to the changerooms there is always a few jugs of beer and soft drink (non drinkers and drivers)

It's really miles ahead of what u see at an amatuer footy game
It's a completely different culture. Having been brought up in a Rugby Union household and playing Rugby as a kid and teenager, I've struggled from day dot to understand some of Australian football's idiosyncrasies. And it gets me in trouble on here too! I'm often seen as a whinger because I have a dramatically different understanding on what sort of behaviours one should exhibit when participating in sport.

Rugby Union has a history and culture built on respect, courtesy and sportsmanship. It's a the gentleman's game after all. Australian Football is built on more of a gladiatorial, rebellious, ruthless and win at all costs type history. A legend of our football club used to get so angry at me for talking to my opponent - don't talk to them! he is your enemy!

Rugby Union have a code of conduct and understanding on how to ensure your opponents safety is protected, you're taught it as soon as you lace on a boot. Australian Football have a code of conduct and understanding on how you can hurt your opponent fairly, you're taught it as soon as you lace on a boot - I couldn't believe my ears the first time a coach said to me to make sure when you tackle, you should make them hurt.

Another classic example are the conniptions the general AFL fan had in reaction to the Gibbs and Schulz tackles. It's part of the game! It was a good hard tackle! AFL has gone soft! Rugby has had rules in place around how to protect peoples head, neck and spine for decades (centuries?) and constantly tune it without nary a cry - Rugby Union players and fans understand that someone's lifestyle and health is more important than protecting the "tough" image of the sport.

But there are plenty of things Australian rules do much, much better as well, both have strengths and weaknesses, Rugby Union's culture around respect and expected behaviour on game day is very good and I agree, miles ahead of Australian Football in general.
morell
Coach

Has liked: 2017 times
Been liked: 1141 times
Grassroots Team: Mitchell Park

Postby The Bedge » Tue Jul 07, 2015 10:33 am

There are still some thugs and grubs in Rugby (Union & League), but they don't usually last too long and yes for the larger part there is a greater respect between all parties including the official.

I still find myself calling Aussie Rules umpires 'Sir' out of habit..

Some reasons I think it's a little different based on my experiences as a player/coach/official:
1. The restrictions around tackling etc. are quite simple - don't tackle above shoulders, don't lift and now don't shoulder charge (although you were never allowed in union). On top of this, kids are taught as soon as they start playing to tackle, are taught technique etc. and it becomes the norm - in aussie rules kids aren't even allowed to touch an opposition player or stand a mark until u/9's or u/10's or something silly like that. Very rarely does a player take offence to a tackle because there is not often a tackle is illegal and the player knows what to expect.
2. Referees speak to both captains and sometimes teams before the game, lay down expectations etc, wish them luck and away they go.
3. Referees allow themselves to be approachable during the game at a suitable time if the captain has any grievances.
4. Yellow/Red cards - this seriously hurt sides if a player receives one, no side wants to cross a line and be a man down.
5. Further to that, in league in particular, the 3rd person into any "melee" gets in the most trouble and always gets sin binned - their involvement only serves to fuel the incident.

Then there are some other factors:
1. AFL used to promote itself as a feral sport on TV - you could get away with hitting and yelling at umpires etc.. they created a feral culture from that and some people are stuck in those ages.
2. In a game of Rugby (Union & League), you are generally more often than not involved in the game, it's a constant flowing game up and down the field - there is little time to worry about doing stupid stuff, where as in aussie rules, the larger grounds there is generally a bit of down time in different possies.
3. Standing opposite - difficult to king hit your direct opponent from 15-20m away.. aussie rules though you stand next to them all day.
The Bedge
Coach

Postby jo172 » Tue Jul 07, 2015 10:35 am

If I could take anything from any sport to add to Australian Rules Football it would be the ironclad rule regarding communication with an Umpire in Rugby Union.

If umpires solely communicated through each team's captain (on the penalty of carding) I think this would significantly reduce behavioral problems.
jo172
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1199 times
Been liked: 725 times

Postby The Bedge » Tue Jul 07, 2015 10:36 am

Oh and of course in Rugby the games aren't officiated by volunteers from the clubs competing, and the touch judges have greater power to inject themselves if they see something untoward.
The Bedge
Coach

Postby human_torpedo » Tue Jul 07, 2015 11:08 am

Most interesting round of the season coming up and we are talking about rugby freaking union..

Give me a spell
human_torpedo
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 371 times

Postby The Bedge » Tue Jul 07, 2015 11:26 am

human_torpedo wrote:Most interesting round of the season coming up and we are talking about rugby freaking union..

Give me a spell

:lol: Blame WHUFC :lol:
The Bedge
Coach

Postby Mr Beefy » Tue Jul 07, 2015 11:27 am

whufc wrote:
Q. wrote:Miles ahead? How many ammo footy games have you played lately? At the end of every game, teams and umps shake hands and usually have a bit of good-natured banter, and many clubs put on free drinks for an away side.

What about during the game, like I said the rugby guys smash the living suitcases out of each other yet you won't see one punch, headbutt, brawl, king hit, compare that to an ammo footy game.

Umpires simply do not get abused and its to the point only the captain is allowed to or will ever speak to the ref, they are even still refereed to as sir

Mr Beefy
Coach

Has liked: 406 times
Been liked: 651 times
Grassroots Team: Rosewater

Postby Q. » Tue Jul 07, 2015 11:28 am

^^^Rugby is clearly a thug's game
Q.
Coach

Has liked: 970 times
Been liked: 2396 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

Postby The Bedge » Tue Jul 07, 2015 11:32 am

Q. wrote:^^^Rugby is clearly a thug's game

And aussie rules is perfect...
The Bedge
Coach

Postby Arch44 » Tue Jul 07, 2015 12:08 pm

Zartan wrote:
Q. wrote:^^^Rugby is clearly a thug's game

And aussie rules is perfect...

It is until you play certain clubs....
Hogg Shield Div IV 2018 Winner
Arch44
League - Top 5

Has liked: 717 times
Been liked: 272 times

Postby The Bedge » Tue Jul 07, 2015 1:21 pm

Arch44 wrote:It is until you play certain clubs....

As with any sport I would imagine
The Bedge
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Adelaide Footy League