Re: Points System Is Crucifying Country Footy

Talk on any country footy league or club from the SA Country area

Re: Re: Points System Is Crucifying Country Footy

Postby OnSong » Fri Jul 10, 2015 1:17 pm

I'm on the senior committee of my club. I also captain the A grade team. I also manage the player and coach budget, I'm on the recruiting committee, and handle the APPS allocation. And I'm happy to submit three player payment summaries a year. I would rather see more funds directed into junior development or club facilities to help make it a sustainable place to be for my kids when they're old enough to play.
We've never got close to the player payment cap coming in. We probably never will. If it means working a bit harder to make sure we comply by doing the right thing, I'll do it.
Right in front of me. RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME!
OnSong
Coach

Has liked: 524 times
Been liked: 543 times

Postby OnSong » Fri Jul 10, 2015 1:31 pm

cracka wrote:
Bag & Sledge wrote:Player Points System and a Salary Cap with plenty of ridiculous guidelines will drive Country Associations to leave the Community Football League and go Independent.

Well that's what most forum users involved in country leagues want, isn't it? (which I often find is different to what their actual clubs want)

I'm pretty sure going independent would also mean players can't get picked up from those clubs to go into the SANFL pool, due to not being affiliated with CFL.

But I have heard talk some Barossa comp leaders have mentioned going that way in recent times.
OnSong
Coach

Postby shoe boy » Fri Jul 10, 2015 2:21 pm

OnSong wrote:I'm on the senior committee of my club. I also captain the A grade team. I also manage the player and coach budget, I'm on the recruiting committee, and handle the APPS allocation. And I'm happy to submit three player payment summaries a year. I would rather see more funds directed into junior development or club facilities to help make it a sustainable place to be for my kids when they're old enough to play.
We've never got close to the player payment cap coming in. We probably never will. If it means working a bit harder to make sure we comply by doing the right thing, I'll do it.

Shit ONSONG ,
Do you have support from the rest of committee on these roles ?

As for the comment" complying doing the right thing" that is debatable !!
shoe boy
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 488 times
Been liked: 209 times

Postby morell » Fri Jul 10, 2015 2:39 pm

OnSong wrote:I'm on the senior committee of my club. I also captain the A grade team. I also manage the player and coach budget, I'm on the recruiting committee, and handle the APPS allocation. And I'm happy to submit three player payment summaries a year. I would rather see more funds directed into junior development or club facilities to help make it a sustainable place to be for my kids when they're old enough to play.
=D> =D> =D>
morell
Coach

Has liked: 2017 times
Been liked: 1141 times
Grassroots Team: Mitchell Park

Postby heater31 » Fri Jul 10, 2015 3:03 pm

I see the coach of Padthaway is very anti SACFL on this issue on social media.

Don't agree with the salary cap but do agree with getting the ATO involved. You can no longer class Country/Amateur footy as a hobby. Only need to threaten both club and player personal audits to make sure the everything is above board and actually follow through with it.
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1263 times

Postby OnSong » Fri Jul 10, 2015 3:17 pm

shoe boy wrote:

Shit ONSONG ,
As for the comment" complying doing the right thing" that is debatable !!

You can comply while also doing the wrong thing, such as handing out brown paper bags etc, exploiting all the exploitable loopholes.
Cash is pretty much untraceable, but if you want to risk crippling your club for the next two to three years on the odd chance you get caught, be my guest
OnSong
Coach

Postby shoe boy » Fri Jul 10, 2015 3:36 pm

As for the comment" complying doing the right thing" that is debatable !![/quote]
You can comply while also doing the wrong thing, such as handing out brown paper bags etc, exploiting all the exploitable loopholes.
Cash is pretty much untraceable, but if you want to risk crippling your club for the next two to three years on the odd chance you get caught, be my guest[/quote]

Or you can question Authority !
shoe boy
Assistant Coach

Postby OnSong » Fri Jul 10, 2015 3:38 pm

Or people can just play amateur footy for less money. If it's more money you want, go earn it at the professional levels.
OnSong
Coach

Postby Look Good In Leather » Fri Jul 10, 2015 3:48 pm

I have been told that there is going to be more information to come regarding the "Marquee Player". A regulation for 2016 (to be reviewed at the end of the season) will be implemented that defines a marquee player as someone who has played 20 AFL games or 100 SANFL games.
Effectively, if you have not played a significant amount at a high level, the SANFL is trying to ensure the only place a player can get good money is in the AFL Reserves competition.

I love how in the presentation they make a big deal about how they are saving the clubs money. They do not acknowledge, however, that they are restricting clubs from using the main tool they have to attract quality footballers. Who the hell is going to want to travel to a place like Lameroo, Bordertown, Port Pirie, Jamestown or Loxton if they cannot earn some good money in the process. Might as well play for an Amateur league club for the same money and have a sleep in.

They keep claiming this is about saving clubs, I cannot see much of a future for clubs in the Mallee, South East, Mid North, North East etc without the ability to spend a bit to attract good players. These are not the same population centres they once were, centralisation of the population means these regions do not have a lot of young families to draw from, they rely on people who are prepared to travel from the city to keep their clubs viable. Closure of bank branches, railways, regional offices, etc mean there are not as many young men relocating to the areas for work. The football club is usually the main (if not only) entertainment within these towns, the locals provide their disposable income here for their entertainment as they do not have the nightclubs, major sports, restaurants etc that their city counterparts have. How dare the SANFL pull the rug out from under these communities just to protect the AFLSA league and the Channel 9 league.
Look Good In Leather
League - Best 21

Has liked: 150 times
Been liked: 284 times
Grassroots Team: Christies Beach

Postby shoe boy » Fri Jul 10, 2015 4:14 pm

Last night I was involved in a conversation with 3 senior country coaches that made comment that sides in their leagues will fold under new laws the SACFL are attempting to force upon us.

Not enough local players is just one issue.
But I still get back to my issue . Who the f--k do the think they are to tell my club ,members , sponsors how to run my club!!! [-X
shoe boy
Assistant Coach

Postby sideview » Fri Jul 10, 2015 4:37 pm

The Sub Committee who decided in their wisdom to introduce the salary cap in conjunction with the APPS.

• Mr Graeme Wandel – Chair of the Subcommittee and SACFL Board Director and RFAC Member
• Mr David Shipway – Chair SACFL Board and Deputy Chair SANFL Commission
• Mr John Kernahan – CEO Ch9AFL
• Mr Chris Davies then replaced by Mr Adam Kelly – GM Football SANFL
• Mr Richard Allen – Accountant, new SACFL Board Director, SANFL Commissioner
• Mr Phil Brand – Yorke Peninsula FL Secretary
• Mr Mick O’Hara – River Murray FL President
• Mr Michael Mourbey – Kowree-Naracoorte-Tatiara FL, President
• Ms Leeanne Grantham – SACFL GM

I'm sure the 4 country reps would have had to have some serious concerns about the introduction of the salary cap given they could possibly loose 10 / 20 % of their teams. Even if teams were struggling the APPS and Salary cap will not introduce any more players to country football. Quite the opposite hence the inevitable closure of many country teams.
sideview
Mini-League

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 4 times
Grassroots Team: Meadows

Postby daysofourlives » Fri Jul 10, 2015 5:49 pm

How bout the SANFL lift their salary cap and pay reserves players more to keep them interested
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
Spargo's Good Friday Cup Champion 2020
daysofourlives
Coach

Has liked: 2423 times
Been liked: 1660 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

Postby Dogwatcher » Fri Jul 10, 2015 5:51 pm

SANFL doesn't set the salary cap, as far as I'm aware.
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby Jim05 » Fri Jul 10, 2015 6:00 pm

daysofourlives wrote:How bout the SANFL lift their salary cap and pay reserves players more to keep them interested

Or just scrap the reserves.
Guys that dont get picked in the league side go back to their local clubs for the weekend.
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1126 times
Been liked: 3552 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby cracka » Fri Jul 10, 2015 6:26 pm

sideview wrote:The Sub Committee who decided in their wisdom to introduce the salary cap in conjunction with the APPS.

• Mr Graeme Wandel – Chair of the Subcommittee and SACFL Board Director and RFAC Member

I'm sure the 4 country reps would have had to have some serious concerns about the introduction of the salary cap given they could possibly loose 10 / 20 % of their teams. Even if teams were struggling the APPS and Salary cap will not introduce any more players to country football. Quite the opposite hence the inevitable closure of many country teams.

I think Glen Sickerdick is also on that committee.
cracka
Veteran

Has liked: 460 times
Been liked: 566 times
Grassroots Team: Onkaparinga Valley

Postby oyster » Fri Jul 10, 2015 6:51 pm

cracka wrote:
sideview wrote:The Sub Committee who decided in their wisdom to introduce the salary cap in conjunction with the APPS.

I think Glen Sickerdick is also on that committee.

It sounds like they had Mickey Mouse, Donald Duck, Road Runner and Bugs Bunny sitting on the same committee. Even if they drafted in Batman, Robin, Superman and Spiderman, the country clubs will take no notice of their findings, or the committee. It won't happen, so nobody get too worried about the proposal being mooted. Either the country clubs will do as they want and use one of the many tricks to pay the players what they want, or the leagues will disband from the SA Fantasy Football Board
oyster
Rookie

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 20 times

Postby Look Good In Leather » Fri Jul 10, 2015 7:59 pm

Jim05 wrote:
daysofourlives wrote:How bout the SANFL lift their salary cap and pay reserves players more to keep them interested

Or just scrap the reserves.
Guys that dont get picked in the league side go back to their local clubs for the weekend.

Yeah I don't know why you need a reserves comp for a reserves comp
Look Good In Leather
League - Best 21

Has liked: 150 times
Been liked: 284 times
Grassroots Team: Christies Beach

Postby oldbomber » Fri Jul 10, 2015 8:02 pm

Hit the nail on the head! If small country clubs with volunteers and sponsors can raise money to survive why cant these big sanfl clubs do it?

Yes player payments should be capped somewhere along the line...but 500 bux to drive to bordertown for example plus 250 fuel money for an extra 5-6 hours in the car or 500 to play in town? Know what most guns for hire will choose..country footy needs players willing to travel and needs ways to make quality footballers want to play out in the country instead of town to ensure its survival. Country and metro clubs are in direct competition against each other with reguard to recruiting players for survival, the country is winning bigtime and those city b#@tches dont like it! Imstead of trying to improve they whinge and change rules.

Hopefully remote leagues with small communities go their own way from the cfl at this rate...if this s#×t isnt sorted soon the powers that be are actually creating a war between country and metro footy...some country towns survival is almost dependant upon having a footy club for entertainment.

Furthermore, country football clubs despite not having big population bases as a whole are more successful at fund raising and ensuring club survival than our metro counterparts hence why these bulls#@t rules are coming in. If push comes to shove country footy has the more passionate volunteers and funding required to run a business and that is going to seriously impact the saafl in particular. Can see 8 divs of metro going back to 6 or so in a just few years if these w@&$#rs try and force country clubs to fold. Country footy all the way :) end of rant!
oldbomber
Rookie

Has liked: 41 times
Been liked: 33 times

Postby gadj1976 » Fri Jul 10, 2015 8:04 pm

As per normal, a decision that is for the good of all but is impossible to implement. If they were to hire 20 people to investigate salary cap issues, they might catch someone. The only way I see it working, is if people from opposition clubs dob someone in. I think it'll bring in a new level of deception amongst clubs.

Imagine the scenario where my club is investigated. What club official will dob the club in, IF they are doing the wrong thing? It's all well and good bringing in these hair brained schemes but seriously, work out the ramifications all the way through before bringing it in.

Complete waste of time IMO. Oh, the other thing - what's to stop the ACTAFL, WAFL, VFL, VFA snaffling players disgruntled with match payments here?
gadj1976
Coach

Has liked: 796 times
Been liked: 850 times

Postby Q. » Fri Jul 10, 2015 8:36 pm

^^^I think what the system is banking on is, that when one club gets caught, the penalty is so severe that all other clubs decide it's not worth the risk.

Basically, deterrence factor.
Q.
Coach

Has liked: 970 times
Been liked: 2396 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Country Footy