Re: Points System Is Crucifying Country Footy

Talk on any country footy league or club from the SA Country area

Postby heater31 » Fri Jul 10, 2015 8:45 pm

Q. wrote:^^^I think what the system is banking on is, that when one club gets caught, the penalty is so severe that all other clubs decide it's not worth the risk.

Basically, deterrence factor.

Yep all it will take is a perceived big spender along with their star players to get a tap on the shoulder from both the SACFL and ATO and every other club in the state will run for the hills...
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1259 times

Postby Jim05 » Fri Jul 10, 2015 8:52 pm

heater31 wrote:
Q. wrote:^^^I think what the system is banking on is, that when one club gets caught, the penalty is so severe that all other clubs decide it's not worth the risk.

Yep all it will take is a perceived big spender along with their star players to get a tap on the shoulder from both the SACFL and ATO and every other club in the state will run for the hills...

Yeah right, just like the idle threats against SANFL clubs who still flaunt the salary cap.
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1125 times
Been liked: 3534 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Re: Re: Points System Is Crucifying Country Footy

Postby gadj1976 » Fri Jul 10, 2015 8:55 pm

My club will make stuff up, so your club gets in trouble. The 20 employees will be running around chasing red herrings.
gadj1976
Coach

Has liked: 795 times
Been liked: 849 times

Postby daysofourlives » Fri Jul 10, 2015 9:05 pm

heater31 wrote:

Even the ATO isnt going to worry about a guy earning 10 or 20k tax free, not worth the effort to investigate for the return they get.
SACFL will have no power when leagues disaffiliate.
Clubs get nothing now from AFL/SANFL that they couldnt do without.
Go suck a fat one i say.
The only clubs that will adhere to it are amateur league clubs but thats only becauses they wouldnt have any idea how to raise more than 3k a week anyway
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
Spargo's Good Friday Cup Champion 2020
daysofourlives
Coach

Has liked: 2415 times
Been liked: 1657 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

Postby cracka » Fri Jul 10, 2015 9:23 pm

daysofourlives wrote:
heater31 wrote:

Even the ATO isnt going to worry about a guy earning 10 or 20k tax free, not worth the effort to investigate for the return they get.
]SACFL will have no power when leagues disaffiliate.
Clubs get nothing now from AFL/SANFL that they couldnt do without.
Go suck a fat one i say.
The only clubs that will adhere to it are amateur league clubs but thats only becauses they wouldnt have any idea how to raise more than 3k a week anyway

If leagues do disaffiliate then some costs will rise, insurance just to name one.
cracka
Veteran

Has liked: 458 times
Been liked: 560 times
Grassroots Team: Onkaparinga Valley

Postby gadj1976 » Fri Jul 10, 2015 9:38 pm

You blokes are kidding yourselves. The ATO? I think they might have bigger fish to fry than the country footballer earning a few quid.
gadj1976
Coach

Has liked: 795 times
Been liked: 849 times

Postby CouchExpert » Fri Jul 10, 2015 9:58 pm

I think it is a coincidence that player payments went through the roof with the introduction of the points system.What caused it is the dwindling player numbers in almost every country league in the state.Most clubs need 3 or 4 good quality imports to be competitive. & with heaps of demand for their services the top players can almost name their price. A salary cap won't stop player payments, all it will do is drive it underground & Community Football won't have the resources to try & track every club that "cheats' They tried a salary cap I think around 10 years ago at the request of the SANFL but that didn't last long as clubs be came quite inventive in the way they "payed" their recruits.I agree that the agenda this time is being driven by the SANFL & the SAAFL to try and wrestle back players & has nothing at all to do with looking after country football.If they were really serious about doing something they would have had a far reaching inquiry into what is happening in Country Football in this state.
In the South East all it is going to take is one team to leave the Western Border League which is on the cards& you will see a ripple effect right throughout the South East & yet no-one in Adelaide seems to give a stuff!!!
One other thing-it takes two to tango,if a club gets caught breaching the salary cap & is fined etc, what happens to the player/players?Surely they are equally guilty & should be dealt with accordingly IE deregistration .There seems to be no mention of this in the new rules.
CouchExpert
Mini-League

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 8 times
Grassroots Team: Bordertown

Postby OnSong » Fri Jul 10, 2015 10:44 pm

12 month deregistration and fine for players in breach as well.
Right in front of me. RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME!
OnSong
Coach

Has liked: 524 times
Been liked: 543 times

Postby Dogwatcher » Fri Jul 10, 2015 11:25 pm

I've been told that when this was discussed with league delegates, only one league stood up and said they were against it. Where were the rest?
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby Look Good In Leather » Sat Jul 11, 2015 2:29 am

Dogwatcher wrote:I've been told that when this was discussed with league delegates, only one league stood up and said they were against it. Where were the rest?

Our league doesn't get a delegate. Great Southern attend for both of us, seems to be working great...
Look Good In Leather
League - Best 21

Has liked: 150 times
Been liked: 284 times
Grassroots Team: Christies Beach

Postby cracka » Sat Jul 11, 2015 3:33 am

Don't know why anyone's complaining, if ever a club is accused on here of spending mega dollars on a player or players, someone from that club will "know for a fact" its no where near the figure quoted. :D
$3k a game x 18 rounds works out to $54k a year, again if any clubs is accused on here of spending that much someone from that club will "know for a fact" that it's not correct.
cracka
Veteran

Postby am Bays » Mon Jul 13, 2015 9:59 am

Look Good In Leather wrote:
Dogwatcher wrote:I've been told that when this was discussed with league delegates, only one league stood up and said they were against it. Where were the rest?

Our league doesn't get a delegate. Great Southern attend for both of us, seems to be working great...

Well you are the minor league when it comes to playing standard, Exhibit A: interleague results....
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 162 times
Been liked: 1804 times

Postby Tiger83 » Mon Jul 13, 2015 10:22 am

am Bays wrote:

Well you are the minor league when it comes to playing standard, Exhibit A: interleague results....

Interleague results not withstanding, EVERY league should have a representative at meetings that have the potential to affect the integrity of every league. LGIL does the SFL choose not to have a delegate or as usual, were they too lazy get organised a supply one??? Potentially these new changes may see alot of former SFL players return to the league next year so i would think its in the SFL best interest to at least be present at these meetings??
Tiger83
Under 18s

Has liked: 48 times
Been liked: 20 times

Postby qwerty » Mon Jul 13, 2015 10:28 am

Tiger83 wrote:
am Bays wrote:

That could all change pretty quickly if the salary cap comes in, why would someone drive to Langhorne Creek, Victor Harbour etc when they could drive 10 or 20min down the road for the same $$$, GSFL might have a quick change of opinion then hey because I am sure most of those guys play down there for the love of it
qwerty
Under 16s

Been liked: 4 times

Postby Look Good In Leather » Mon Jul 13, 2015 12:05 pm

qwerty wrote:
Tiger83 wrote:
am Bays wrote:
Look Good In Leather wrote:[quote="Dogwatcher"]I've been told that when this was discussed with league delegates, only one league stood up and said they were against it. Where were the rest?

That could all change pretty quickly if the salary cap comes in, why would someone drive to Langhorne Creek, Victor Harbour etc when they could drive 10 or 20min down the road for the same $$$, GSFL might have a quick change of opinion then hey because I am sure most of those guys play down there for the love of it[/quote]
The SFL does stand to be the major beneficiary in all this. Better atmosphere than the Channel 9 league and no longer having to compete with the GSFL, RMFL, KNTFL & MFL on payments. The standard price has now been set for a recruit at $500, match that and the lesser travel becomes the winner.

Does not make it right though.
Look Good In Leather
League - Best 21

Has liked: 150 times
Been liked: 284 times
Grassroots Team: Christies Beach

Postby WellPlayed#9 » Mon Jul 13, 2015 9:05 pm

That could all change pretty quickly if the salary cap comes in, why would someone drive to Langhorne Creek, Victor Harbour etc when they could drive 10 or 20min down the road for the same $$$, GSFL might have a quick change of opinion then hey because I am sure most of those guys play down there for the love of it[/quote]

The argument that players wont travel because they can get the same money closer to town doesnt stack up. The $3k/wk cap and the points system means that players will still have to travel to further out leagues.
Football aint for the faint hearted, anonymous blogging is!
WellPlayed#9

Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 10 times
Grassroots Team: Tanunda

Postby daysofourlives » Mon Jul 13, 2015 9:22 pm

WellPlayed#9 wrote:That could all change pretty quickly if the salary cap comes in, why would someone drive to Langhorne Creek, Victor Harbour etc when they could drive 10 or 20min down the road for the same $$$, GSFL might have a quick change of opinion then hey because I am sure most of those guys play down there for the love of it

The argument that players wont travel because they can get the same money closer to town doesnt stack up. The $3k/wk cap and the points system means that players will still have to travel to further out leagues.[/quote]

Yeah so the shitter players will have to travel to get their coin.
Id love to see an alteration to the points rather than the salary cap. If a prospective new points player was at his previous club for only one year he should be an additional point and if he had 2 clubs in the previous 2 years be an additional 2 points and so on. Something along those lines to slow the movement of players from club to club thus potentially driving the payments down.
Thoughts?
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
Spargo's Good Friday Cup Champion 2020
daysofourlives
Coach

Has liked: 2415 times
Been liked: 1657 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

Postby Tiger83 » Mon Jul 13, 2015 9:23 pm

WellPlayed#9 wrote:That could all change pretty quickly if the salary cap comes in, why would someone drive to Langhorne Creek, Victor Harbour etc when they could drive 10 or 20min down the road for the same $$$, GSFL might have a quick change of opinion then hey because I am sure most of those guys play down there for the love of it

The argument that players wont travel because they can get the same money closer to town doesnt stack up. The $3k/wk cap and the points system means that players will still have to travel to further out leagues.[/quote]

Not if they return to their junior clubs.. Whether that is in the city or a different country league.. They will be more valuable (in a zero pointer way, not a $$$ way), and leagues that require alot of travel wont 'waste' money on a handful of recruits, they will use it all on their designated 'marquee' player and one other..
Tiger83
Under 18s

Has liked: 48 times
Been liked: 20 times

Postby CouchExpert » Mon Jul 13, 2015 9:41 pm

Tiger 83-Wrong. A marquee player can only be paid $1000 per game so clubs cannot spend all their cap on this player.The other interesting thing is that if the definition of a marquee player is strictly enforced a lot of clubs may struggle to recruit one, meaning the most they can pay per player is $500 plus traveling.
CouchExpert
Mini-League

Been liked: 8 times
Grassroots Team: Bordertown

Postby cracka » Mon Jul 13, 2015 10:21 pm

daysofourlives wrote:Id love to see an alteration to the points rather than the salary cap. If a prospective new points player was at his previous club for only one year he should be an additional point and if he had 2 clubs in the previous 2 years be an additional 2 points and so on. Something along those lines to slow the movement of players from club to club thus potentially driving the payments down.
Thoughts?

I like it, brilliant idea, especially from someone so against the APPS.
cracka
Veteran

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Country Footy