Grade Cricket

Local cricket is the go here. Any talk about local comps, grade cricket, etc.

Re: Grade Cricket

Postby Eagles2014 » Thu Jul 09, 2015 9:21 pm

Tony Clifton wrote:
The Hound wrote:
Footy Smart wrote:Any confirmed player movements?

Believe Pt A are increasing their wicket keeping stocks!

From Glenelg way?

Spot on there! Targeted by Port, needed an A Grade keeper. Is an exceptional keeper, been playing B's for four years, and with Alex Carey in A's he is no chance of going up. Adelaide targeted him last year, in hindsight he should have gone, as Darling would be the worse keeper in the comp. Saw him drop four sitters in an hour against us last year, got so bad Raph and the other slips were not even reacting when the catches were dropped, as if they were expecting it!

Last year Port targeted Burridge from us to be there A Grade keeper, he ended up in the B's. They now realise he is not up to keeping at that level. A shame really, as the year before his batting was starting to blossom at that level, and went backwards this year. Would love to see him return as we could do with another batter as wont see Kelvin much this coming season.
Eagles2014
Veteran

Has liked: 124 times
Been liked: 526 times

Postby Tony Clifton » Thu Jul 09, 2015 11:17 pm

Brilliant pick up for Port. Ripping kid, as good a pure keeper as I've seen come through probably in the last five or six years or longer. Not much you can do. I'm sure he would have loved to stay at Glenelg but Alex Carey would walk into any A Grade team and is an absolute jet.
This is Tony Clifton! A name to respect! A name to fear!
Tony Clifton
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1462 times
Been liked: 244 times
Grassroots Team: Adelaide University

Postby heater31 » Thu Jul 09, 2015 11:23 pm

Where is Alex Carey at? Keep hearing he is looking for greener pastures.....
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1263 times

Postby Eagles2014 » Fri Jul 10, 2015 12:04 am

Tony Clifton wrote:Brilliant pick up for Port. Ripping kid, as good a pure keeper as I've seen come through probably in the last five or six years or longer. Not much you can do. I'm sure he would have loved to stay at Glenelg but Alex Carey would walk into any A Grade team and is an absolute jet.

Agree, top lad. Best keeper I have seen at this age. He lives way down south, will get sick of travelling all the way to Port! Needs to work on his batting probably also.

If Ludeman was injured, who would they pick? Davey the obvious next best (was picked in Matador Cup last year), but Carey is the one. Excellent keeper and can bat.

Surely they would not go Harry Neilson, handed a rookie contract because "Daddy" was involved in picking them, but would not be in top six keepers in A Grade what I have seen, and never made Grade century, couple of half centuries at best, batting needs lots of work. Give me Alex Carey any day!
Eagles2014
Veteran

Postby Eagles2014 » Fri Jul 10, 2015 12:05 am

heater31 wrote:Where is Alex Carey at? Keep hearing he is looking for greener pastures.....

Not what Damon Kerr was told, hence his tough decision to leave Bays. Think Alex will be staying at Glenelg for sure.
Eagles2014
Veteran

Postby Tony Clifton » Fri Jul 10, 2015 12:22 am

Think Carey had a few clubs in his ear last year but stayed put. Can't see him leaving Glenelg.

Davey and Carey haven't really progressed as I thought they would. Davey tied up with footy now so doesn't even play a lot of premier league. If he does play he rarely keeps.

Harry Nielsen can play. Gloves them really well, made some runs last year. A late call up for one of those Cricket Australia tour games and made runs. Reckon he got a few in Futures too. Perception will always be that his dad plays a role in any team he gets picked for. Tough burden to carry.
Tony Clifton
League - Top 5

Postby EldersUniSA » Fri Jul 10, 2015 5:52 pm

Tony Clifton wrote:
EldersUniSA wrote:Adelaide Uni are seeking to have 8 Men's teams this season, must be the biggest club in SA. Also has huge influx of players 18-21 years of age. Why would you want to remove such a club from SACA?

They get a lot of international students and new arrivals to Australia playing for them which is fantastic but they could fill this role equally well in Adelaide Turf. And they do anyway - four of those teams are in Adelaide Turf already.

The whole point of grade cricket is it is not about running huge clubs with tons of players - that's what Adelaide Turf and the hard wicket competitions are for. Grade Cricket is meant to be the elite cricketers who are trying to play at a higher level.

In my opinion we're looking at the glass half empty. If they are competitive at Grade Level, why would they go down? Only to come and dominate Turf.
Elders Cricket Club Est 1931 UniSA/SAIT Cricket Club Est 1974
Elders UniSA Cricket Club 1999
Mawson Lakes Cricket Club 2010
EldersUniSA
Rookie

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 3 times
Grassroots Team: Mawson Lakes

Postby heater31 » Fri Jul 10, 2015 9:40 pm

EldersUniSA wrote:
Tony Clifton wrote:
EldersUniSA wrote:Adelaide Uni are seeking to have 8 Men's teams this season, must be the biggest club in SA. Also has huge influx of players 18-21 years of age. Why would you want to remove such a club from SACA?

They get a lot of international students and new arrivals to Australia playing for them which is fantastic but they could fill this role equally well in Adelaide Turf. And they do anyway - four of those teams are in Adelaide Turf already.

The whole point of grade cricket is it is not about running huge clubs with tons of players - that's what Adelaide Turf and the hard wicket competitions are for. Grade Cricket is meant to be the elite cricketers who are trying to play at a higher level.

In my opinion we're looking at the glass half empty. If they are competitive at Grade Level, why would they go down? Only to come and dominate Turf.

Where do they get their 'Elite' players from? certainly not from a junior structure.
heater31

Postby Bulls forever » Sat Jul 11, 2015 1:38 pm

Tony Clifton wrote:Think Carey had a few clubs in his ear last year but stayed put. Can't see him leaving Glenelg.

Davey and Carey haven't really progressed as I thought they would. Davey tied up with footy now so doesn't even play a lot of premier league. If he does play he rarely keeps.

Harry Nielsen can play. Gloves them really well, made some runs last year. A late call up for one of those Cricket Australia tour games and made runs. Reckon he got a few in Futures too. Perception will always be that his dad plays a role in any team he gets picked for. Tough burden to carry.

TC, not quite sure your facts are what they should be. Davey has kept every PL game for the edge until called up for Matador Cup last year or required for footy duties at Modbury, might be a clash this year at start of PL, but understand he is playing PL again. Your thought on Harry are not shared by many in GC and I believe they actually watch the games unlike many that choose to comment. But appears he is the chosen one down the track. What is more interesting is that Nielsen came out last year and announced that SACA focus would be on the development of SA talent, interesting change after 10 years of promoting average interstate talent. Conflict, you decide for yourself!
Bulls forever
Reserves

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 9 times
Grassroots Team: Tea Tree Gully

Postby Bulls forever » Sat Jul 11, 2015 1:44 pm

heater31 wrote:
EldersUniSA wrote:
Tony Clifton wrote:

Where do they get their 'Elite' players from? certainly not from a junior structure.

Uni also have the largest senior footy club in SA, but they don't play in SANFL. I am not a believer in axing Uni, even though not a fan. They do their GC COMMITMENTS BETTER THAN SOME clubs IMO. They have explored lots of angles to incorporate juniors into their set up, not sure it is ever going to work.
Bulls forever
Reserves

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 9 times
Grassroots Team: Tea Tree Gully

Postby heater31 » Sat Jul 11, 2015 1:52 pm

Bulls forever wrote:
heater31 wrote:
EldersUniSA wrote:
Tony Clifton wrote:[quote="EldersUniSA"]Adelaide Uni are seeking to have 8 Men's teams this season, must be the biggest club in SA. Also has huge influx of players 18-21 years of age. Why would you want to remove such a club from SACA?

Uni also have the largest senior footy club in SA, but they don't play in SANFL. I am not a believer in axing Uni, even though not a fan. They do their GC COMMITMENTS BETTER THAN SOME clubs IMO. They have explored lots of angles to incorporate juniors into their set up, not sure it is ever going to work.[/quote]
Correct Uni aren't stupid and are clearly looking at all angles, but if you can't supply talent to your Top team then you are in strife. This also includes clubs that have juniors but are struggling to get their full compliment. If you are one of those then you should be more worried...
heater31

Postby Tony Clifton » Sat Jul 11, 2015 2:25 pm

Bulls forever wrote:
Tony Clifton wrote:Think Carey had a few clubs in his ear last year but stayed put. Can't see him leaving Glenelg.

TC, not quite sure your facts are what they should be. Davey has kept every PL game for the edge until called up for Matador Cup last year or required for footy duties at Modbury, might be a clash this year at start of PL, but understand he is playing PL again. Your thought on Harry are not shared by many in GC and I believe they actually watch the games unlike many that choose to comment. But appears he is the chosen one down the track. What is more interesting is that Nielsen came out last year and announced that SACA focus would be on the development of SA talent, interesting change after 10 years of promoting average interstate talent. Conflict, you decide for yourself!

The new SA Cricket Director says that he wants to promote South Australian players and this is an ulterior motive?

This is the sort of paranoia that exists in grade cricket unfortunately. Harry will always carry that burden because so many people in grade cricket have a grudge against SACA. It won't ever matter how well he does - in some people's eyes he only will have got games because of his dad and it should have been someone from THEIR club who got picked.

Davey had a sore groin from footy last year, kept the first couple of premier league games then played as a batter and Young from Kensi wicket kept. I was wrong about him missing games altogether, thought he had. Not sure about this year. But yeah, if Modbury football duties are a factor, then he's not on any radar. A few years back he gave football away completely and had a genuine crack. I guess he thinks his chance has passed which is a shame.
Tony Clifton
League - Top 5

Postby Tony Clifton » Sat Jul 11, 2015 2:28 pm

EldersUniSA wrote:
Tony Clifton wrote:

They're perennially mid-table at grade level and only get there by taking players from other grade clubs or topping up with UK recruits.

They perform no role of any value to the pointy end of SA cricket.

Where they can (and do) play a key role is providing an avenue for students and people new to SA/Aus to play the game at medium and lower levels. I don't think they'd dominate turf because their handful of quality players would leave.
Tony Clifton
League - Top 5

Postby the star » Tue Jul 14, 2015 11:47 am

I am led to believe the Jets announced a coach last night.
the star
Under 16s

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 13 times
Grassroots Team: Tasman

Postby Footy Smart » Tue Jul 14, 2015 12:13 pm

the star wrote:I am led to believe the Jets announced a coach last night.

and the winner is???? cmon mate spill it :D
Footy Smart
Coach

Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 118 times
Grassroots Team: Modbury

Postby beef » Tue Jul 14, 2015 1:05 pm

Footy Smart wrote:
the star wrote:I am led to believe the Jets announced a coach last night.

and the winner is???? cmon mate spill it :D

I'd like to know as well. I know they had a few turn it down
beef
League - Best 21

Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 255 times

Postby Tony Clifton » Wed Jul 15, 2015 1:14 am

Chris Duval?
Tony Clifton
League - Top 5

Postby Homer J » Wed Jul 15, 2015 9:51 am

John Lonergan
Homer J
Rookie

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 43 times

Postby heater31 » Wed Jul 15, 2015 12:01 pm

Jake Weatherald added to the Futures Squad according to the NT News report I read last week up there.... Apparently tearing the Darwin comp a new one averaging 106 from 9 hits and 5 tons
heater31

Postby The Bedge » Wed Jul 15, 2015 12:04 pm

heater31 wrote:Jake Weatherald added to the Futures Squad according to the NT News report I read last week up there.... Apparently tearing the Darwin comp a new one averaging 106 from 9 hits and 5 tons

Couple of big hundreds too including a 195*.
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3192 times
Been liked: 3999 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Other Sports  Regional Cricket Comps