Crows 2015

Talk on the national game

Re: Crows 2015

Postby AFLflyer » Mon Jul 06, 2015 12:41 pm

MW wrote:Couldnt even go a week without bringing Dangerfield into it and selling leaving the club even with the passing of Walsh...you are a disgrace Advertiser and further reasons why I will never buy your rag again.

http://www.news.com.au/national/patrick-dangerfield-decision-just-one-of-many-difficult-calls-to-be-made-after-loss-of-phil-walsh/story-e6frfkp9-1227429566097

this a Herald sun story? although i agree, much too soon.
AFLflyer
League - Best 21

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 3 times

Postby Grahaml » Mon Jul 06, 2015 1:44 pm

I quite like Worsfold coming in. They couldn't go outside the current group for a head coach and Camporeale seems the right type. I like how he sticks to his guns when he thinks he's right. Couldn't help but laugh at McDermott's suggestion that Riccuito takes over. If he thinks you can go from the media straight into coaching with no other experience doing it then it would explain his own coaching performances.
Grahaml
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 169 times

Postby Footy Smart » Mon Jul 13, 2015 2:10 pm

Well it was the game we had to show up for, we had to get through and one that no one will forget. I sat on the couch watching the lads play, we had a crack as we have each game this year, we still turned the ball over by foot and we still had patches of brilliance. I watched the end of the game commemorations and the heart wrenching slow walk from the middle of Subiaco which seemed to take an eternity yet seem so fitting. I look back on the game now and really it’s a blur, I can’t even begin to imagine what the players felt in preparing for a game they knew at the end was going to be highly emotional. Wondering how they would react, how would they play and how would the public view their performance (the fear of failure would have been immense IMO).
But from the blur I find things we can take from the game and we can certainly salvage this season. We won 2 qtrs yet got belted in 2, our best and our worst are miles apart.
Positives:
Charlie Cameron while only having 10 or so touches is starting to kick multiple goals
Jake Lever is improving each game and shows some real promise
Riley Knight playing his first game and performing admirably
Dangerfield busting his ass in and under to get the team going Forward (yes his disposal wasn’t great), his leadership was awesome.
Rory Laird and Matt Crouch both having 30 possies, still burnt it a bit but they are developing nicely
Concerns:
VB disposal was horrendous
Walker is clearly carrying an injury, once the ball hits the deck he is out of the contest
Thomo got smashed defensively had his worst game for the year
Footy Smart
Coach

Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 118 times
Grassroots Team: Modbury

Postby bennymacca » Mon Jul 13, 2015 2:15 pm

Good summary there.

Heard a juicy rumour, that Dangerfield has re-signed with the club, did it a few weeks ago, and it will be announced in a week or so.
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby GWW » Mon Jul 13, 2015 2:17 pm

Probably would make sense given that Hawkins signed a contract extension recently, so presumably the Cats would have known what they could offer him, if PD had re-signed with the Crows.
GWW

Has liked: 816 times
Been liked: 166 times

Postby Footy Smart » Mon Jul 13, 2015 2:21 pm

I havent heard anything like that, hoping it is true. He isnt playing like someone who is leaving or undecided IMO. Hoping he stays. If we can get Brad Crouch up and running with Sloane, danger, M Crouch, Douglas, Laird, B Smith we have some midfield depth.
Footy Smart
Coach

Postby Booney » Mon Jul 13, 2015 2:22 pm

Personally, and for the sake of the players, I would have liked last weekend to have been the final public display of arm in arm type tributes to Walsh.

The players would be experiencing such unimaginable emotional twists and turns and I think heading into this weekends game would have liked to have resumed to normality (whatever that is) as soon as possible.

However, the looming Showdown will clearly have tributes to Walsh with the impact he had upon both clubs. I just feel for the players having to go on another emotional roller coaster on Wednesday at the memorial, again on Sunday with the Showdown and then most likely at the first Crows home game the following weekend.

I know there is no right or wrong here, just giving my views on the events that we see unfolding in front of us and thinking about how the players would feel going into or through tributes, slide shows, minutes silence etc.

Each time they see or do that it will build and build.

Really feel for them.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7487 times
Been liked: 10772 times

Postby Booney » Mon Jul 13, 2015 2:28 pm

GWW wrote:Probably would make sense given that Hawkins signed a contract extension recently, so presumably the Cats would have known what they could offer him, if PD had re-signed with the Crows.

Hawkins would have never been doing anything but signing with Geelong. Local lad, premiership player, long term deal, they'd have know what he was going to be on.

Dangerfield, IMO, is going.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7487 times
Been liked: 10772 times

Postby Footy Smart » Mon Jul 13, 2015 2:29 pm

Booney wrote:Personally, and for the sake of the players, I would have liked last weekend to have been the final public display of arm in arm type tributes to Walsh.

The players would be experiencing such unimaginable emotional twists and turns and I think heading into this weekends game would have liked to have resumed to normality (whatever that is) as soon as possible.

However, the looming Showdown will clearly have tributes to Walsh with the impact he had upon both clubs. I just feel for the players having to go on another emotional roller coaster on Wednesday at the memorial, again on Sunday with the Showdown and then most likely at the first Crows home game the following weekend.

I know there is no right or wrong here, just giving my views on the events that we see unfolding in front of us and thinking about how the players would feel going into or through tributes, slide shows, minutes silence etc.

Each time they see or do that it will build and build.

Really feel for them.

Yeah i think after last weekend (the crows players from all reports wanted to experience the arm in arm tribute) its time to move on. Rob Chapman did say that the showdown will be shown on screens along the torrens. I do like that idea, but don’t want anything official involving the players. Maybe something could be done before or after just for the fans? both AFC and PAFC fans have had the opportunity to reflect on Walsh. Lets just play footy now and enjoy the game, rivalry and all that comes with it.
Footy Smart
Coach

Postby GWW » Mon Jul 13, 2015 2:32 pm

Yeah, I doubt Hawkins was leaving, but he would have wanted to see how much the Cats could offer him for his next contract, which could have been assigned by PD signing with the Crows.

I have no idea whether he has re-signed with the Crows, but given recent events, it may be more likely that he does sign - if he hasn't already - than what it was, a month ago.

It may be in his interests to sign for a short period, until he's an unrestricted free-agent, and then he will be able to move to the cats without as much hassle, although obviously there would still be media/fan speculation. But if the Crows are in greater shape than Geelong when he is out of contract again, he may then become a one club player.

Not that I have any real concern one way or the other, but just for the sake of discussion.
GWW

Has liked: 816 times
Been liked: 166 times

Postby Dogwatcher » Mon Jul 13, 2015 2:38 pm

AFLflyer wrote:
MW wrote:Couldnt even go a week without bringing Dangerfield into it and selling leaving the club even with the passing of Walsh...you are a disgrace Advertiser and further reasons why I will never buy your rag again.

http://www.news.com.au/national/patrick-dangerfield-decision-just-one-of-many-difficult-calls-to-be-made-after-loss-of-phil-walsh/story-e6frfkp9-1227429566097

How is it any different to prognosticating on an upcoming game? Or who might be taking the coach's seat in the interim?
Seems a bit of an OTT reaction to me. It is a difficult decision to make. A bloody difficult one.
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby bennymacca » Mon Jul 13, 2015 2:42 pm

The rumour I heard said he signed a few weeks ago, obviously before the passing of Walsh. That would make sense given the flurry of signings we had.

What doesn't make sense is why they didn't announce it then.

Having said that I can see if he signed just recently but still before Phils passing that they would hold off on the announcement for a while though.
bennymacca
Coach

Postby TEX07 » Mon Jul 13, 2015 2:49 pm

Booney wrote:
GWW wrote:Probably would make sense given that Hawkins signed a contract extension recently, so presumably the Cats would have known what they could offer him, if PD had re-signed with the Crows.

Hawkins would have never been doing anything but signing with Geelong. Local lad, premiership player, long term deal, they'd have know what he was going to be on.

Dangerfield, IMO, is going.

A few weeks back I thought so to, but after the events I am not sold on this now. If he does go then there isnt a supporter that could say he isnt giving his all to the club right now.

Would not be surprised if he signs on for a two year extension, sticks with the club over the next really tough period and goes to Geelong at 27/28 a free agent to finish his career.
hola acabo de hacer que el yo se resuelve lo que este los medios en español
TEX07
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 140 times
Been liked: 49 times
Grassroots Team: Golden Grove

Postby MW » Mon Jul 13, 2015 3:12 pm

Dogwatcher wrote:
AFLflyer wrote:

How is it any different to prognosticating on an upcoming game? Or who might be taking the coach's seat in the interim?
Seems a bit of an OTT reaction to me. It is a difficult decision to make. A bloody difficult one.

Um you think an article making reasons for PD to still leave the Crows even though Walsh passed away, only days after the passing, wasnt in bad taste? Right....
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2598 times
Been liked: 1844 times

Postby whufc » Mon Jul 13, 2015 6:51 pm

Did i hear right that there are still 22 players on the Crows list who were there when Neil Craig was coach.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5586 times
Been liked: 2527 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby TEX07 » Mon Jul 13, 2015 7:34 pm

whufc wrote:Did i hear right that there are still 22 players on the Crows list who were there when Neil Craig was coach.

Probably considering it was only end of 2011 he quit
TEX07
League Bench Warmer

Postby TEX07 » Tue Jul 14, 2015 12:23 am

whufc wrote:Did i hear right that there are still 22 players on the Crows list who were there when Neil Craig was coach.

Actually got me thinking who and checked and there is 18 still on the list

Sloane
Walker
Douglas
Van Berlo
Thompson
Wright
Talia
Jacobs
Brodie Smith
Dangerfield
Jaensch
Reilly
Mackay
Otten
Lyons
Shaw
Martin
Henderson

At least 12-14 worth keeping IMO. Add to that last season of Craigs tenure - Tippett, Gunston, Maric and Davis we had a decent list.
TEX07
League Bench Warmer

Crows 2015

Postby bennymacca » Tue Jul 14, 2015 1:01 am

Besides shaw and Martin and probably Lyons they are all decent footballers.

It's also basically saying people on our list older than 23
bennymacca
Coach

Postby stan » Tue Jul 14, 2015 10:08 am

TEX07 wrote:

Probably considering it was only end of 2011 he quit

Thats turning over half the list in say years. Probably not too different from all other teams. You certainly wouldn't want to be doing more than that. Unless your Melbourne.
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1253 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby Dogwatcher » Tue Jul 14, 2015 10:39 am

MW wrote:
Dogwatcher wrote:
AFLflyer wrote:

Um you think an article making reasons for PD to still leave the Crows even though Walsh passed away, only days after the passing, wasnt in bad taste? Right....

I don't see how it's any different to the points I made above. It certainly is fair to discuss: the death of the coach, who Dangerfield, seemed to respect greatly, would put a new spin on any decision Dangerfield makes. It would make it very tough. Do you think it hasn't come into the club's and player's minds?
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL