Club Payments Crackdown

Adelaide Footy League Talk

Re: Club Payments Crackdown

Postby BigB » Fri Jul 17, 2015 9:18 am

Gee Jetters... you know how to upset folks. (insert disclaimer here ;) )
My two bobs worth:
- No club with aspirational objectives can get away without payments given everyone else is and it's a competition.
- The salary cap is in my view great in principle for many reasons but will be near nigh impossible to police for the other many reasons already laid out by other respondents.
- To make it work, the penalties for clubs found breaching the rules need to be so great that it won't be worth the risk... this may have to be the Al Capone factor, ie hung out by the Tax office + other penalties such as suspension / relegation etc.
- at present, what a club is prepared to pay is up to them and should not be the source of derision by others. The question for the club is; should we be spending money building a club where people want to play rather than forking out so much to players that we have nothing left for the "club building" strategy, such as junior developement etc?
- how little UMJ pay players would surprise many - we have a large core of ex-juniors, college graduates and their mates who want to play with us because we have a good club culture and an ongoing strategy to maintain it. Some of these lads have been together since under 9's. We have 98% volunteer players, with many of our A Grade who could be earning big money elsewhere just wanting to play for the jumper. Neither do they mind the odd marquee player pulling a few bucks. (and don't tell me I don't know what I am talking about because I most certainly do.) We have got where we are through a strategic planned approach and a lot of hard work off field rather than just throwing money at chaps and crossing the fingers.

So my view is if a Div 7 club or anyone else for that matter, wants to pay players, that's up to them, but if they think thats all they need to do to bring long term success, think again.
BigB

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 38 times
Grassroots Team: Unley

Postby GWW » Fri Jul 17, 2015 9:30 am

3k a week is simply too low.

If it was something like 4k a week, plus a marquee player able to earn 1k, but not included in the cap, then thats approx 100k a year, and it may be considered about right.

But as it is, these changed are way too drastic, and if implemented it would be a case of going from one extreme to another.
GWW

Has liked: 816 times
Been liked: 166 times

Postby human_torpedo » Fri Jul 17, 2015 10:43 am

Wouldn't the country leagues no longer be affiliated with SANFL clubs if they broke away? Would that mean none of the kids from any of those leagues will be eligible to play in the SANFL? Or am I reading that wrong? If clubs broke away and played under there own rules from the "Fantasy Football League" as Oyster puts it, would that mean no one affiliated can play SANFL footy, and in terms have no chance of playing AFL because there club didn't want to adhere to a salary cap? Again, if im wrong here please tell me. Im just curious as to what would happen to clubs who don't adhere to the cap implementation
human_torpedo
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 371 times

Postby morell » Fri Jul 17, 2015 10:49 am

BigB wrote:Gee Jetters... you know how to upset folks. (insert disclaimer here ;) )
My two bobs worth:
- No club with aspirational objectives can get away without payments given everyone else is and it's a competition.
- The salary cap is in my view great in principle for many reasons but will be near nigh impossible to police for the other many reasons already laid out by other respondents.
- To make it work, the penalties for clubs found breaching the rules need to be so great that it won't be worth the risk... this may have to be the Al Capone factor, ie hung out by the Tax office + other penalties such as suspension / relegation etc.
- at present, what a club is prepared to pay is up to them and should not be the source of derision by others. The question for the club is; should we be spending money building a club where people want to play rather than forking out so much to players that we have nothing left for the "club building" strategy, such as junior developement etc?
- how little UMJ pay players would surprise many - we have a large core of ex-juniors, college graduates and their mates who want to play with us because we have a good club culture and an ongoing strategy to maintain it. Some of these lads have been together since under 9's. We have 98% volunteer players, with many of our A Grade who could be earning big money elsewhere just wanting to play for the jumper. Neither do they mind the odd marquee player pulling a few bucks. (and don't tell me I don't know what I am talking about because I most certainly do.) We have got where we are through a strategic planned approach and a lot of hard work off field rather than just throwing money at chaps and crossing the fingers.

So my view is if a Div 7 club or anyone else for that matter, wants to pay players, that's up to them, but if they think thats all they need to do to bring long term success, think again.
Excellent post.
morell
Coach

Has liked: 2017 times
Been liked: 1141 times
Grassroots Team: Mitchell Park

Postby Dogwatcher » Fri Jul 17, 2015 11:25 am

I think Oysters' throwing some pie in the sky threats out there.
He's certainly overplaying the position of football leagues in this situation.
Again, from my understanding there was plenty of consultation prior to the announcement and only one league stood against it at the time - the BL&G.
For mine, most people agree there's an issue that needs to be sorted, it's just that the SACFL needs to tweak its proposal better.
Most of the anger is based on the low cap which they say, and I agree, is low and needs to be reinvestigated.
The system also needs to better accommodate those clubs that are in competitions further from the city.
The concept is good, but needs a little extra work.
Last edited by Dogwatcher on Fri Jul 17, 2015 11:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby morell » Fri Jul 17, 2015 11:55 am

I think oyster needs a good shucking.
morell
Coach

Postby Mr Beefy » Fri Jul 17, 2015 12:05 pm

oyster is being very shellfish
Mr Beefy
Coach

Has liked: 406 times
Been liked: 651 times
Grassroots Team: Rosewater

Postby Jetters » Fri Jul 17, 2015 12:07 pm

BigB wrote:Gee Jetters... you know how to upset folks. (insert disclaimer here ;) )
My two bobs worth:

Look @BigB, I don't know if you've read the forum rules, but it's actually stipulated that in each post you must call someone an idiot or at least take cheap shots at their club. Moderators please^^
Jetters
Reserves

Has liked: 106 times
Been liked: 119 times

Postby Footy Chick » Fri Jul 17, 2015 12:08 pm

@BIgB

Can you please call Jetters an idiot

:lol:
Don't play games with a girl who can play 'em better...

Gatt_Weasel wrote:if they (Walkerville) dont win the flag ill run around the block of my street naked :) you can grab a chair and enjoy the view
Footy Chick

Has liked: 1738 times
Been liked: 2146 times

Postby BigB » Fri Jul 17, 2015 12:18 pm

He means well :D
BigB

Been liked: 38 times

Postby morell » Fri Jul 17, 2015 12:22 pm

Mr Beefy wrote:oyster is being very shellfish
His posts don't contain many pearls of wisdom.
morell
Coach

Postby Footy Chick » Fri Jul 17, 2015 12:23 pm

I reckon he's slimy.
Don't play games with a girl who can play 'em better...

Gatt_Weasel wrote:if they (Walkerville) dont win the flag ill run around the block of my street naked :) you can grab a chair and enjoy the view
Footy Chick

Has liked: 1738 times
Been liked: 2146 times

Postby Mr Beefy » Fri Jul 17, 2015 12:30 pm

Should probably clam up
Mr Beefy
Coach

Has liked: 406 times
Been liked: 651 times
Grassroots Team: Rosewater

Postby morell » Fri Jul 17, 2015 12:43 pm

He really does have no Ostreo-idea
morell
Coach

Postby laser » Fri Jul 17, 2015 2:34 pm

Too much tabasco on the oyster methinks!
laser
Under 16s

Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 45 times

Postby cracka » Fri Jul 17, 2015 3:09 pm

Hope he doesn't get angry & do anything crazy like kill patrick. Thanks for coming, I'm here all week, try the veal
cracka
Veteran

Has liked: 462 times
Been liked: 567 times
Grassroots Team: Onkaparinga Valley

Postby morell » Fri Jul 17, 2015 3:11 pm

Ahhh thats a winner! What a cracka
morell
Coach

Postby oyster » Sat Jul 18, 2015 11:49 pm

Was told tonight at the footy club that the BLG have definitely voted against the FFL proposal. That's 3 leagues total who have voted against it. Thankfully our league over here are one. They said 4 of the other big leagues closer to the city are also going to say no to the FFL proposal. That makes 7 leagues now who are in opposition. Only the ammos and 4-5 leagues in agreement they said tonight. Looks like no hope of the current draft getting up across all the leagues. The only way these leagues will say yes according to our club gurus is if the minimum is lifted to $100,000 a year.
oyster
Rookie

Been liked: 20 times

Postby FOURTH ESTATE » Mon Jul 20, 2015 6:56 am

Name the 3 leagues who have said no and the 4 close to the city who are going to say no as well
2017, 2019 & 2020 PREMIERS
RICHMOND, RICHMOND, RICHMOND.

Let that be a lesson to you Sturt. You don't beat Glenelg 3 times in a row in Grand Finals and get away with it.
FOURTH ESTATE
Veteran

Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 128 times
Grassroots Team: Broadview

Postby sideview » Fri Jul 24, 2015 3:43 pm

Had an interesting comment passed onto me today in regards to Salary Cap and APPS.
The Salary Cap / APPS committee are expecting a number of country clubs to fold due to the new salary cap regulations. Hence I would suggest there will be no discussion in regards to a phase in period or adjustment of the salary cap for any affiliated leagues.
They are expecting clubs in regional South Australia including the South East, Mallee, Riverland, Adelaide Plains and other regional areas to not be able to continue due to lack of numbers. Obviously these people have no affiliation with country towns who's only source of social interaction is through sport on the weekends. Almost ruling football by abolishing freedom of choice, causing social exclusion for regional communities.
I think all people agree a salary cap is required but to submit clubs to a ridiculous amount along with the APPS is both unwarranted and unproductive in what the CFL is trying to achieve.
Leanne Grantham commented 90% of presidents agreed with salary cap I would like to see that list and I would also like to see what response those 90% would have at the proposed changes. I think now that people have had a chance to study the proposal would agree the changes are to severe and probably at least a three year phase in period was warranted. All the CFL will achieve now is to drive payments under the table even further.
The other predicament the CFL will find themselves in relates to the APPS points being used as punishment. How can this be unless directed solely at the SAAFL as they are the only league who have every team on the same points (15). Every other league that I know of have varied points. 3 years ago pretty sure Tanunda was on 1 point so how does taking all there APPS points away equate to the same as taking all of Kingston's 20 points away. I would have thought all APPS points would have to be equal to use as punishment.
To Leanne Grantham and David Shipway you have yelled from the rafters how good the Country Championships were, and how good football is in our state, so why are we looking to make such monumental changes. Agree we needed changes but the sledgehammer approach wreaks of desperation. A last ditch effort to save the SANFL and what a bonus for the SAAFL pity about everybody else.
sideview
Mini-League

Been liked: 4 times
Grassroots Team: Meadows

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Adelaide Footy League