Grade Cricket

Local cricket is the go here. Any talk about local comps, grade cricket, etc.

Re: Grade Cricket

Postby heater31 » Wed Jul 15, 2015 12:08 pm

Zartan wrote:
heater31 wrote:Jake Weatherald added to the Futures Squad according to the NT News report I read last week up there.... Apparently tearing the Darwin comp a new one averaging 106 from 9 hits and 5 tons

Couple of big hundreds too including a 195*.

Yet his club are sitting 6th and bowled the top side Darwin out for 69 then went and got the runs 7 down on a perfect day for cricket :shock:
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1259 times

Postby The Bedge » Wed Jul 15, 2015 12:13 pm

heater31 wrote:
Zartan wrote:
heater31 wrote:Jake Weatherald added to the Futures Squad according to the NT News report I read last week up there.... Apparently tearing the Darwin comp a new one averaging 106 from 9 hits and 5 tons

Yet his club are sitting 6th and bowled the top side Darwin out for 69 then went and got the runs 7 down on a perfect day for cricket :shock:

Hahaha! It's outrageous :lol:

Is it just me or does it seem more players are inclined to head to Darwin to play cricket during the winter lately as opposed to heading over to England?
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3188 times
Been liked: 3989 times

Postby heater31 » Wed Jul 15, 2015 12:19 pm

Zartan wrote:
heater31 wrote:
Zartan wrote:

Is it just me or does it seem more players are inclined to head to Darwin to play cricket during the winter lately as opposed to heading over to England?

Well for starters Airfares are cheaper :lol: Its probably an untapped market for players. The Holy Grail is probably head to England but from what I could see Darwin offers an Aussie alternative. Drove past Warratahs ground Gardens Oval and it didn't look out of place as a Grade ground in Sydney with a pristine outfield and picket fence around the boundary.
heater31

Postby Footy Smart » Wed Jul 15, 2015 12:41 pm

Zartan wrote:
heater31 wrote:
Zartan wrote:

I would think England still has 95+% of South Aussies wanting to play during winter. Each grade clubs probably have 3-5 players heading OS. I think i can only recall 2 players heading to Darwin from TTGDCC and that was probably 5+ years ago.
Footy Smart
Coach

Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 118 times
Grassroots Team: Modbury

Postby heater31 » Wed Jul 15, 2015 12:57 pm

Footy Smart wrote:
Zartan wrote:

I would think England still has 95+% of South Aussies wanting to play during winter. Each grade clubs probably have 3-5 players heading OS. I think i can only recall 2 players heading to Darwin from TTGDCC and that was probably 5+ years ago.

Yeah we have our first one in Darwin for a long time this year also. One other is over for his 3rd time in Scotland.

However, whilst I was up there it wasn't a bad feeling, 30 degress sinking Aussie Cold beer and watching the Footy on TV.
heater31

Postby Footy Smart » Wed Jul 15, 2015 1:24 pm

heater31 wrote:
Footy Smart wrote:
Zartan wrote:

Yeah we have our first one in Darwin for a long time this year also. One other is over for his 3rd time in Scotland.

However, whilst I was up there it wasn't a bad feeling, 30 degress sinking Aussie Cold beer and watching the Footy on TV.

yep the blokes i know have done it loved it. not sure of the standard compared to some of the english leagues the lads play in?
Footy Smart
Coach

Postby The Angry Bull » Wed Jul 15, 2015 4:03 pm

Darwin was a great experience and highly recommend it for a number of reasons. The standard while I was up there was quite good, during that period NT Cricket had reached an agreement with CA and a number of rookie contracted players from all states were basically drafted off to clubs, akin to the DLCA here.
You also get a lot of Kiwis who play first class or are border line such as the Cachopa's x3, De Boorder and Culkin... some of the Palmerston faithful still talk about B. McCullum smacking 200 in no time and some of my teammates from Waratah still had nightmares from facing Shane Bond a few years earlier.
The Angry Bull
Under 16s

Has liked: 50 times
Been liked: 11 times
Grassroots Team: Central Augusta

Postby Bulls forever » Wed Jul 15, 2015 5:20 pm

The Angry Bull wrote:Darwin was a great experience and highly recommend it for a number of reasons. The standard while I was up there was quite good, during that period NT Cricket had reached an agreement with CA and a number of rookie contracted players from all states were basically drafted off to clubs, akin to the DLCA here.
You also get a lot of Kiwis who play first class or are border line such as the Cachopa's x3, De Boorder and Culkin... some of the Palmerston faithful still talk about B. McCullum smacking 200 in no time and some of my teammates from Waratah still had nightmares from facing Shane Bond a few years earlier.

TAB, you keeping well I hope. You and I both know that the best thing about Darwin was learning how to drink properly. But how could you go past the UK for a 5-6 month cricket experience. We have 4 over there at the minute playing cricket and 4 doing the touring bit in Europe. From Darwin you can visit Kakadu, from the UK you can visit anywhere you want, no contest mate. You back this year, need some quality runs to put a bit of pressure on. Red can sales were down last year although Maxie did his best.
Bulls forever
Reserves

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 9 times
Grassroots Team: Tea Tree Gully

Postby heater31 » Wed Jul 15, 2015 5:28 pm

Bulls forever wrote:earlier.

TAB, you keeping well I hope. You and I both know that the best thing about Darwin was learning how to drink properly.[/quote]

Their Pints & Schooners confused the shit out of me :oops:
heater31

Postby Bulls forever » Wed Jul 15, 2015 5:36 pm

Tony Clifton wrote:
Bulls forever wrote:
Tony Clifton wrote:Think Carey had a few clubs in his ear last year but stayed put. Can't see him leaving Glenelg.

Davey and Carey haven't really progressed as I thought they would. Davey tied up with footy now so doesn't even play a lot of premier league. If he does play he rarely keeps.

Harry Nielsen can play. Gloves them really well, made some runs last year. A late call up for one of those Cricket Australia tour games and made runs. Reckon he got a few in Futures too. Perception will always be that his dad plays a role in any team he gets picked for. Tough burden to carry.

TC, not quite sure your facts are what they should be. Davey has kept every PL game for the edge until called up for Matador Cup last year or required for footy duties at Modbury, might be a clash this year at start of PL, but understand he is playing PL again. Your thought on Harry are not shared by many in GC and I believe they actually watch the games unlike many that choose to comment. But appears he is the chosen one down the track. What is more interesting is that Nielsen came out last year and announced that SACA focus would be on the development of SA talent, interesting change after 10 years of promoting average interstate talent. Conflict, you decide for yourself!

The new SA Cricket Director says that he wants to promote South Australian players and this is an ulterior motive?

This is the sort of paranoia that exists in grade cricket unfortunately. Harry will always carry that burden because so many people in grade cricket have a grudge against SACA. It won't ever matter how well he does - in some people's eyes he only will have got games because of his dad and it should have been someone from THEIR club who got picked.

Davey had a sore groin from footy last year, kept the first couple of premier league games then played as a batter and Young from Kensi wicket kept. I was wrong about him missing games altogether, thought he had. Not sure about this year. But yeah, if Modbury football duties are a factor, then he's not on any radar. A few years back he gave football away completely and had a genuine crack. I guess he thinks his chance has passed which is a shame.

TC, no it doesn't and I think you missed my point and what I have been saying for years. SA cannot compete purely on home grown players, we do at underage but that is largely based on 1 or 2 players of outstanding talent, ie Head when we won 19's for two years. Every time we have won the shield, we have had interstate players, but quality ones and the other ones were made to prove their talent in GC. 81/82 - Inverarity, Crowe J, Wright. 95/96 - Siddons, MacIntyre, Brayshaw and in the 60's a bloke called Sobers who they tell me could play was there. We need quality from interstate to assist with our home grown talent. But don't select the average interstate player over the local talent that has been happening over the last X number of years.

As for the keeping side of things, haven't seen enough of Roach to comment, but if he is talented then needs to be playing A Grade. Would have thought Adelaide or Sturt might have been the options, certainly Port would have been last on my list. I think Davey playing PL cause he still thinks he has to, which might be right, not sure Nielsen is ready yet. As for Carey, well the next big thing, has disappointed big time, has been provided with every opportunity you could wish for and produced nothing, time to move on I think, he would have to be 24/25 now, certainly not over the hill, but just give him a year or two at Glenelg without any SACA involvement and see the character of the young fellow, has been spoon fed ever since the Giants flicked him. Has enough talent, but does he actually want it bad enough.
Bulls forever
Reserves

Postby Tony Clifton » Wed Jul 15, 2015 8:27 pm

Bulls forever wrote:TC, no it doesn't and I think you missed my point and what I have been saying for years. SA cannot compete purely on home grown players, we do at underage but that is largely based on 1 or 2 players of outstanding talent, ie Head when we won 19's for two years. Every time we have won the shield, we have had interstate players, but quality ones and the other ones were made to prove their talent in GC. 81/82 - Inverarity, Crowe J, Wright. 95/96 - Siddons, MacIntyre, Brayshaw and in the 60's a bloke called Sobers who they tell me could play was there. We need quality from interstate to assist with our home grown talent. But don't select the average interstate player over the local talent that has been happening over the last X number of years.

Well I'm not sure what you're saying sorry. On our list currently we have Zampa, Cooper, Ludemann, Mennie, Ross, Worrall, Winter plus Richardson and Andrews from NT and lost Hughes during last season. We have a dozen South Aussies in our squad of 21.

Are you saying that we need 2-3 top line interstate players instead of this larger group of good, medium or fringe interstaters? If so that's fine but it would likely mean MORE local players in the 21, not less.

As for the keeping side of things, haven't seen enough of Roach to comment, but if he is talented then needs to be playing A Grade. Would have thought Adelaide or Sturt might have been the options, certainly Port would have been last on my list. I think Davey playing PL cause he still thinks he has to, which might be right, not sure Nielsen is ready yet. As for Carey, well the next big thing, has disappointed big time, has been provided with every opportunity you could wish for and produced nothing, time to move on I think, he would have to be 24/25 now, certainly not over the hill, but just give him a year or two at Glenelg without any SACA involvement and see the character of the young fellow, has been spoon fed ever since the Giants flicked him. Has enough talent, but does he actually want it bad enough.

I think Damon Kerr is the Glenelg player being referred to.
This is Tony Clifton! A name to respect! A name to fear!
Tony Clifton
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1462 times
Been liked: 244 times
Grassroots Team: Adelaide University

Postby C Horse » Wed Jul 15, 2015 11:49 pm

Well I'm not sure what you're saying sorry. On our list currently we have Zampa, Cooper, Ludemann, Mennie, Ross, Worrall, Winter plus Richardson and Andrews from NT and lost Hughes during last season. We have a dozen South Aussies in our squad of 21.

I don't really feel that Redbacks are clogging up their list with average interstate players.
Going through the blokes above:
Zampa - young leggie, went OK last year (more so with bat than ball, but has promise)
Cooper - proven gun and international
Luderman - excellent wk and solid bat one of SA best over last 3 yrs
Mennie - performed real well when not injured - definitely at the level and still young
Ross - ACT junior, has to play somewhere - shown glimpses of ability
Worrall - I must be missing something with this guy because he looks average and strikes me as a knob
Winter - ACT junior, has to play somewhere - however doesn't appear up to it
Richardson - international rep, born in SA, came back from NT as a 17 year old = LOCAL
Andrews - Born in Darwin, went to school down here at PAC = LOCAL

So aside from Worrall and Winter (both who have had limited game time it must be said), the 'interstate' players are good.
If anything it's been the poor recruitment decisions around senior players from interstate (McDonald, letting Klinger & Lyon go) along with Hughes tragedy that has shaped the list.
6-7 years ago the list was full of average interstate players, but not so much now.
Lehmann, Benton etc. debuted in Shield last year, Head chosen as captain..... I think they are on the right track.
C Horse
Rookie

Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 12 times

Postby The Bedge » Thu Jul 16, 2015 10:34 am

C Horse wrote:Ross - ACT junior, has to play somewhere - shown glimpses of ability
Winter - ACT junior, has to play somewhere - however doesn't appear up to it.

ACT are part of NSWCA - they can play for NSW if they're good enough.
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3188 times
Been liked: 3989 times

Postby Tony Clifton » Thu Jul 16, 2015 10:48 am

There's two parts of Shield cricket
1) Success in the Sheffield Shield competition
2) Producing Australian players

The two goals conflict with each other at times. Eg if NSW has bunch of players picked for Australia then this hampers their Shield success aspirations. On the flip side, states that are full of mature players who will be 'Shield only' cricketers and help them win games there will find it harder to produce Australian players.

I'm not sure where SA's priorities have been in the past. We haven't been successful in either. It's seemed there hasn't been a clear direction or priority.

SA is a smaller state which carries some disadvantages in terms of talent pool but there should be some advantages too. It should be easier for us to identify our standout talents earlier and do extra work with those players. In larger states talented players get lost in the mix simply because there are so many. Also standout young players in SA should get opportunities to play Shield and Futures cricket earlier than equivalently skilled players in other states.

I feel that by stocking up on so many 'handy' interstate players over the years that we're actually undoing the one advantage smaller states possess.

I'm thrilled this year that there is a crop of talented SA youngsters in our squad, a number of whom will/could be in the Shield XI (Head, Smith, Sayers, Lehmann, Gregory, Benton, Valente, Nielsen). We've had Shield matches previously where there has only been two South Aussies in the XI! And still finished bottom...
Tony Clifton
League - Top 5

Postby Footy Smart » Thu Jul 16, 2015 10:57 am

Tony Clifton wrote:There's two parts of Shield cricket
1) Success in the Sheffield Shield competition
2) Producing Australian players

The two goals conflict with each other at times. Eg if NSW has bunch of players picked for Australia then this hampers their Shield success aspirations. On the flip side, states that are full of mature players who will be 'Shield only' cricketers and help them win games there will find it harder to produce Australian players.

I'm not sure where SA's priorities have been in the past. We haven't been successful in either. It's seemed there hasn't been a clear direction or priority.

SA is a smaller state which carries some disadvantages in terms of talent pool but there should be some advantages too. It should be easier for us to identify our standout talents earlier and do extra work with those players. In larger states talented players get lost in the mix simply because there are so many. Also standout young players in SA should get opportunities to play Shield and Futures cricket earlier than equivalently skilled players in other states.

I feel that by stocking up on so many 'handy' interstate players over the years that we're actually undoing the one advantage smaller states possess.

I'm thrilled this year that there is a crop of talented SA youngsters in our squad, a number of whom will/could be in the Shield XI (Head, Smith, Sayers, Lehmann, Gregory, Benton, Valente, Nielsen). We've had Shield matches previously where there has only been two South Aussies in the XI! And still finished bottom...

I think TC you also have to add 'developing shield cricketers' SACA has failed at this step which inturn leads to lack of success. We have had plenty of talented juniors, no more or less talented than other states. We simply havent been able to develop and nurture talent in the high performance programs like the other states.
Footy Smart
Coach

Postby Tony Clifton » Thu Jul 16, 2015 1:20 pm

I'm not sure they've really tried to be honest.

There was that joke about the SA coaching staff at national junior carnivals - they just watch the NSW team to work out who to recruit next.

Hopefully the current climate sees a change in attitude.
Tony Clifton
League - Top 5

Postby The Angry Bull » Thu Jul 16, 2015 4:14 pm

heater31 wrote:

TAB, you keeping well I hope. You and I both know that the best thing about Darwin was learning how to drink properly.

Their Pints & Schooners confused the shit out of me :oops:[/quote]

It sure does but you learn to live with it Heater :partyman:

BF... I have been well thanks. Hope all is well down there. Would love to come back down however a 6 hour round trip to the bullring is a bit of a stretch... particularly with a few red cans under the belt! Maxie comes from good stock, put does need some improvement :lol:
I hope the preparations are coming along nicely for next season, would be great to see the boys go back to back... we certainly have earned some two day success (I purely blame myself for this one, as soon as I go... BANG! Flag!!! :lol: )
The Angry Bull
Under 16s

Has liked: 50 times
Been liked: 11 times
Grassroots Team: Central Augusta

Postby Bulls forever » Thu Jul 16, 2015 5:56 pm

The Angry Bull wrote:
heater31 wrote:

TAB, you keeping well I hope. You and I both know that the best thing about Darwin was learning how to drink properly.

Their Pints & Schooners confused the shit out of me :oops:

It sure does but you learn to live with it Heater :partyman:

BF... I have been well thanks. Hope all is well down there. Would love to come back down however a 6 hour round trip to the bullring is a bit of a stretch... particularly with a few red cans under the belt! Maxie comes from good stock, put does need some improvement :lol:
I hope the preparations are coming along nicely for next season, would be great to see the boys go back to back... we certainly have earned some two day success (I purely blame myself for this one, as soon as I go... BANG! Flag!!! :lol: )[/quote]

Yes mate, only won 6 A Grade premierships in your time. Celebrated in style, didn't seem to matter to the boys they were short form. How many were u part in starting 11.
Bulls forever
Reserves

Postby Footy Smart » Fri Jul 17, 2015 12:39 pm

Tony Clifton wrote:I'm not sure they've really tried to be honest.

There was that joke about the SA coaching staff at national junior carnivals - they just watch the NSW team to work out who to recruit next.

Hopefully the current climate sees a change in attitude.

Exactly, alot get says about grade cricket like its the sole reason for SA poor results. Everyother state pumps money into the HP set up as thats where players go from being good players to first class players.
Footy Smart
Coach

Postby heater31 » Tue Aug 11, 2015 9:02 am

Herald Sun Reporting that Alex Keath is moving to Adelaide to try resurrecting his cricket career with Prospect. If that fails the Crows are keen to list the former Gold Coast VFL player.
heater31

PreviousNext

Board index   Other Sports  Regional Cricket Comps