R14: Eagles v Port - Saturday 18 July @ Woodville

All discussions to do with the SANFL

R14: Eagles v Port - Saturday 18 July @ Woodville

Postby Dutchy » Fri Jul 17, 2015 10:33 pm

EAGLES
Woodville-West Torrens has strengthened its defensive options ahead of Saturday’s contest against Port at Maughan Thiem Hyundai Oval.
Running defender Matthew Goldsworthy has recovered from a minor hamstring strain while former Magpie Aseri Raikiwasa has also been added to the extended interchange bench.
Eagles coach Michael Godden must cut two players from his 23-man squad before the bounce.
Utility Jarred Allmond will play his 100th SANFL match after making his debut in 2009.

League
F: Thurlow, Wundke, McGregor
HF: N. Hayes, Ainger, Lewis
C: Poole, Schwarz, Martyn
HB: Allmond, Von Bertouch, Jarrad
B: P. Raymond, Thompson, Giuffreda

R: Borholm, Rowntree, Petrenko
INT: Batley, Rowland, C. Hall, Goldsworthy, Raikiwasa
IN: Goldsworthy, Raikiwasa

Reserves
F: Whittlesea, J. Hayes, M. Raymond
HF: Press, Dunstan, Minney
C: Lloyd, Appleton, Ellis
HB: Elsworthy, Templeton, Sinor
B: Woods, Heinjus, Firns

R: Mullins, Haylock, Enright
INT: Lodge, Gaffney, Comitogianni, Westbrook

Under-18
Hawkins, T. Stengle, Wilson, Slade, Gaffney, Jolly, Westbrook, Blumson, Cox, Georgeson, Pengilly, McPherson, Broadwood, Slack, Baqeri, Lee, Comitogianni, Gameau, Cardone, A. Stengle, Hoare, L. Hayes, Hoyle, Traeger, Wood.

PORT
Port Adelaide could potentially blood two players for its match against the Eagles at Maughan Thiem Hyundai Oval on Saturday.
Magpie products Ciaran Hollingworth-Hughes and Sean Davidson could play their first league match at Woodville.
They have been joined in the Magpies’ 23-man squad by former Carlton rookie Luke Reynolds, ruckman Jonathon Ross, Jack Haarsma and key forward Mitch Harvey.
Four players – Andrew Moore, Nathan Krakouer, Aaron Young and Jesse Palmer – have all been called up for AFL action at this stage.

League
F: Reynolds, Butcher, Harvey
HF: Russell, Wagner, Howard
C: T. Gray, Summerton, Mitchell
HB: Biemans, Masters, Byrne-Jones
B: Colquhoun, Austin, Hollingworth-Hughes

R: Redden, S. Gray, Logan
INT: Sawford, Ross, Davidson, Frampton, Haarsma
IN: Hollingworth-Hughes, Reynolds, Ross, Davidson, Haarsma, Harvey
OUT: A. Young (Power), Moore (Power), Palmer (Power), Krakouer (Power)

Reserves
F: Deeley-Godfrey, Coulson, Phelps
HF: Miller, Cooper, Mahney
C: J. Foster, Proude, Cook
HB: J. Williams, M. Williams, Halkias
B: Ginever, Corcoran, Clarke

R: Gordon, Hawkins, Bienke
INT: Jenner, R. Foster
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2322 times
Been liked: 3495 times

Re: R14: Eagles v Port - Saturday 18 July @ Woodville

Postby CENTURION » Sat Jul 18, 2015 9:41 am

Eagles by 8 goals.
NO AFL IN THE SANFL!!
Member No. 988 & PROUD to sponsor The CDFC!!
CENTURION
Coach

Has liked: 204 times
Been liked: 112 times
Grassroots Team: Salisbury

Postby Ian » Sat Jul 18, 2015 10:08 am

Eagles by plenty
North Adelaide F C : Champions of Aust 1972 : Premiers 1900, 02, 05, 20, 30, 31, 49, 52, 60, 71, 72, 87, 91
Ian

Has liked: 312 times
Been liked: 93 times
Grassroots Team: Lockleys

Postby goddy11 » Sun Jul 19, 2015 11:22 am

I'm not sure what happened to the Eagles today. Until half way through the last quarter they controlled the game and bad kicking stopped them being in front by more. Wundke's poor attempt at a checkside from 20m out and Out on full result appeared a turning point as Port took the resultant inbound kick down for a goal. The Eagles stopped.
goddy11
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 564 times
Been liked: 211 times
Grassroots Team: Myponga-Sellicks

Postby holden78 » Sun Jul 19, 2015 1:00 pm

We've been only just doing enough on and off for a while now, and finally came up against someone who didn't stop for a whole game....
PAP fitness levels have to be admired and we just couldn't keep going.... no surprise really when one team has to work for a living.
Good time though for a setback and gives everyone a chance to reset for last part of the season.
Eagles will need a harder edge in finals to overcome PAP's as we clearly are carrying a few too many passengers.
Time to see what's so good in the Reserves..... :twisted:
holden78
League - Best 21

Has liked: 37 times
Been liked: 55 times

Postby Mr Fuller » Sun Jul 19, 2015 2:12 pm

goddy11 wrote:I'm not sure what happened to the Eagles today. Until half way through the last quarter they controlled the game and bad kicking stopped them being in front by more. Wundke's poor attempt at a checkside from 20m out and Out on full result appeared a turning point as Port took the resultant inbound kick down for a goal. The Eagles stopped.
goddy11 wrote:I'm not sure what happened to the Eagles today. Until half way through the last quarter they controlled the game and bad kicking stopped them being in front by more. Wundke's poor attempt at a checkside from 20m out and Out on full result appeared a turning point as Port took the resultant inbound kick down for a goal. The Eagles stopped.

Spot on. It was a tight struggle but the eagles should have been in front at half time by 3-4 goals. But we kicked poorly and were not able to get a break. Wundke's idiotic attempt to emulate Stevie J from 20m out on a simple angle definitely was the turning point.

I think the difference this week to previous weeks was that Port matched our gameplan but with better footskills an superior fitness were better able to pull it off. They also forced us wide which conttibuted to many of our missed shots on goal.

No need to panic though. Yes there are a couple of guys living on the edge but as a team we have shown in past weeks that we can beat most other teams.
Mr Fuller
Reserves

Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 123 times

Postby goddy11 » Sun Jul 19, 2015 3:10 pm

On a good note and I only watched the last 1/4 of the reserves was a player Matthew Raymond. I don't know anything about him but he sure impressed me. I see he had 6 goals for the game. Don't know his stats.
Last edited by goddy11 on Sun Jul 19, 2015 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
goddy11
League Bench Warmer

Postby Mark_Beswick » Sun Jul 19, 2015 3:33 pm

Anyone know the attendance?
Mark_Beswick
Reserves

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 13 times

Postby Mr Fuller » Sun Jul 19, 2015 3:42 pm

Mark_Beswick wrote:Anyone know the attendance?

Don't know exactly. I would guess around 2200 which would be a little disappointing. Port supporters well down from previous matches including since they became the Power. Eagles supporters greatly outnumbered them yesterday.
Mr Fuller
Reserves

Postby scott » Sun Jul 19, 2015 3:45 pm

Crowd: 2,272
scott
Veteran

Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 124 times

Postby saintal » Sun Jul 19, 2015 6:22 pm

Ainger a late withdrawal?
SAFC- 60 years...
StKFC- 58 years..
saintal
Coach

Has liked: 346 times
Been liked: 429 times

Postby scott » Sun Jul 19, 2015 7:12 pm

goddy11 wrote:On a good note and I only watched the last 1/4 of the reserves was a player Matthew Raymond. I don't know anything about him but he sure impressed me. I see he had 6 goals for the game. Don't know his stats.

Kicked 6.1 with 1 goal assist from 17 disposals and 7 marks.
scott
Veteran

Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 124 times

Postby Columbo » Sun Jul 19, 2015 8:38 pm

scott wrote:
goddy11 wrote:On a good note and I only watched the last 1/4 of the reserves was a player Matthew Raymond. I don't know anything about him but he sure impressed me. I see he had 6 goals for the game. Don't know his stats.

Kicked 6.1 with 1 goal assist from 17 disposals and 7 marks.

4 of those 6 in the last qtr.
Trust the process.
Columbo
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 29 times

Postby wedgetail » Sun Jul 19, 2015 9:22 pm

saintal wrote:Ainger a late withdrawal?

Correct, gastro and vomiting I believe. Above comments sum up things well about the game although I thought Power Reserves intensity and tackling around the ball forced us into ball handling errors, something other sides haven't been able to do consistently over 4 quarters.
Can anyone shed some light on qualification for the SANFL finals on PAP reserves players with the likelihood of PAP missing the AFL finals?
That PAP reserves side could do some damage in the finals with the quality and quantity of AFL players they had in it on Saturday.
Luck is where opportunity meets preparation
wedgetail
Under 18s

Has liked: 245 times
Been liked: 83 times

Postby goddy11 » Sun Jul 19, 2015 9:29 pm

I think they will be allowed to play anyone they like. They control SANFL agenda. I remember in 2013 they stopped qualified players playing in SANFL finals.
goddy11
League Bench Warmer

Postby Mr Fuller » Sun Jul 19, 2015 10:17 pm

Redden monstered Bornholm and Thurlow at the hit-outs which was a big reason why Moore and Mitchell, in particular, ripped us apart. In the last half we barely won a centre clearance.

There are probably only two of our players out who would normally be in our strongest side - Boyd and Ainger. I think both would make a tonne of difference to our side.

During last week Boyd was listed as being out for 6 weeks. If this goes according to plan he would be back for the first week of the finals. Of course if we finish top we would have the week off.
Mr Fuller
Reserves

Postby stan » Mon Jul 20, 2015 9:19 am

goddy11 wrote:I think they will be allowed to play anyone they like. They control SANFL agenda. I remember in 2013 they stopped qualified players playing in SANFL finals.

With Ports seniors season over I would expet a few to go for surgery and that crap which means there reserves will get weaker. I reckon some of there more fringe AFL players may not play SANFL finals but some of there spuds like Mitchell will probably play.
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1253 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby holden78 » Mon Jul 20, 2015 9:26 am

Boyd still hobbling along so I'd say finals will be his next outing, but we were also exposed by our younger players lack of input and probably have been for a while now.
Hayes, Batley, Schwarz and Dunston need to influence the game more then they are for us to improve.
holden78
League - Best 21

Has liked: 37 times
Been liked: 55 times

Postby tnt » Mon Jul 20, 2015 9:57 am

wedgetail wrote:
saintal wrote:Ainger a late withdrawal?

Correct, gastro and vomiting I believe. Above comments sum up things well about the game although I thought Power Reserves intensity and tackling around the ball forced us into ball handling errors, something other sides haven't been able to do consistently over 4 quarters.
Can anyone shed some light on qualification for the SANFL finals on PAP reserves players with the likelihood of PAP missing the AFL finals?
That PAP reserves side could do some damage in the finals with the quality and quantity of AFL players they had in it on Saturday.

I think the finals qualifications for AFL clubs are :

If they are playing AFL finals/Last round then no qualification restrictions.

If the AFL club is not involved in AFL finals a player must have played either:
- The majority of his football at SANFL level or;
- Three of the last five games at SANFL level to qualify.

The first week of SANFL finals is the last round of AFL Home and Away so first week of SANFL finals no restrictions
tnt
Rookie

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 11 times

Postby johntheclaret » Mon Jul 20, 2015 10:17 am

holden78 wrote:We've been only just doing enough on and off for a while now, and finally came up against someone who didn't stop for a whole game....
PAP fitness levels have to be admired and we just couldn't keep going....

Dumb statement.
They are a full time professional outfit FFS. You'd expect them to have much higher fitness levels.
Why on earth would you want to admire a club who have such an unfair advantage and are using your league as training matches for their first team :roll:
johntheclaret
Coach

Has liked: 409 times
Been liked: 580 times

Next

Board index   Football  SANFL