Crows 2015

Talk on the national game

Re: Crows 2015

Postby MW » Mon Jul 20, 2015 5:11 pm

I know its a national comp, I find it ironic that a victorian club supporter would need to stress this to get his club noticed. Not sure what premierships have to do with it but play on...
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2609 times
Been liked: 1850 times

Postby Booney » Mon Jul 20, 2015 5:15 pm

MW wrote:I know its a national comp, I find it ironic that a victorian club supporter would need to stress this to get his club noticed. Not sure what premierships have to do with it but play on...

It's the only true measure of how national the comp is, comparing media coverage is like comparing who has the biggest thumb. It makes no odds. ;)

It's an Adelaide paper, so I'm not sure what he really expects anyway.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7494 times
Been liked: 10780 times

Postby woodublieve12 » Mon Jul 20, 2015 5:15 pm

Happens every week mate... If we get more than 2 minutes on a show I am rapt
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Has liked: 3025 times
Been liked: 2401 times

Postby Corona Man » Mon Jul 20, 2015 5:20 pm

I think you may have missed my point.... I would have thought "some" Adelaide footy people would have at least modest interest in the Hawthorn Vs Sydney game given their relative positions (3 & 4) on this years premiership table..... for it to not rate a mention at all is.... well typical. The 2 SA clubs ARE part of a National Comp....and the game on Saturday night was a display of what was happening at the "pointy end of the comp..... No disrespect to the situation here in SA, but yesterday game (while very important to the 2 sets of supporters) was 9th playing 13th.....
1961, 1971, 1976, 1978, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 2008, 2013, 2014, 2015.... And don't you forget it!
Corona Man
Coach

Has liked: 1279 times
Been liked: 3488 times
Grassroots Team: Echunga

Postby MW » Mon Jul 20, 2015 5:25 pm

I understand what you are saying but the showdown is always going to get more press than 3 v 4, esp. with the tribute to Walsh. Best thing is to not consider the advertiser for your information! (or 5AA...or Triple M....). Sorry you are screwed lol
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2609 times
Been liked: 1850 times

Postby Corona Man » Mon Jul 20, 2015 5:26 pm

Yes I know I am screwed... thank god for Foxtel!
1961, 1971, 1976, 1978, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 2008, 2013, 2014, 2015.... And don't you forget it!
Corona Man
Coach

Has liked: 1279 times
Been liked: 3488 times
Grassroots Team: Echunga

Postby cracka » Mon Jul 20, 2015 5:27 pm

Was there much written about the Hawks/Swans game in the Sunday Mail. Not sure what you're expecting from a Monday advertiser the day after a Sunday showdown, not to mention it being so close to & the first one since the Phil Walsh tragedy & his links to both clubs.
cracka
Veteran

Has liked: 462 times
Been liked: 567 times
Grassroots Team: Onkaparinga Valley

Postby bennymacca » Mon Jul 20, 2015 6:06 pm

Corona Man wrote:I think you may have missed my point.... I would have thought "some" Adelaide footy people would have at least modest interest in the Hawthorn Vs Sydney game given their relative positions (3 & 4) on this years premiership table..... for it to not rate a mention at all is.... well typical. The 2 SA clubs ARE part of a National Comp....and the game on Saturday night was a display of what was happening at the "pointy end of the comp..... No disrespect to the situation here in SA, but yesterday game (while very important to the 2 sets of supporters) was 9th playing 13th.....

Go read the herald sun and watch 360 like the rest of us!

Surely you expect an SA paper the day after SAs biggest game to cover mostly that.

And also that a casual supporter in sa will mostly want to know about that. Us diehards might want to know more but we have those avenues available.
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby heater31 » Mon Jul 20, 2015 6:42 pm

Why is this minor issue clogging up a thread about the Adelaide Crows? Build a bridge and get over it.....I bet New York fans (any sport) have the same issue in Baltimore :roll:
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1263 times

Postby daysofourlives » Mon Jul 20, 2015 6:43 pm

Had a thought that maybe Dangerfield signed when all the others did and they were keeping the announcement back until the lead up to the showdown to steal some thunder from the port home game. Reckon that has been done before hasnt it? Obviously the Walsh events changed all that
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
Spargo's Good Friday Cup Champion 2020
daysofourlives
Coach

Has liked: 2423 times
Been liked: 1660 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

Postby stan » Mon Jul 20, 2015 9:46 pm

Or maybe just maybe he waiting to see if the hawks will sti be good at the end of the year [WINKING FACE]

Sent from my GT-I9197 using Tapatalk
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1253 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby stan » Mon Jul 20, 2015 9:47 pm

Thr winking face appears not to work lol

Sent from my GT-I9197 using Tapatalk
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1253 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby bennymacca » Mon Jul 20, 2015 9:48 pm

daysofourlives wrote:Had a thought that maybe Dangerfield signed when all the others did and they were keeping the announcement back until the lead up to the showdown to steal some thunder from the port home game. Reckon that has been done before hasnt it? Obviously the Walsh events changed all that

That's my theory
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby hawks21 » Tue Jul 21, 2015 9:44 am

daysofourlives wrote:Had a thought that maybe Dangerfield signed when all the others did and they were keeping the announcement back until the lead up to the showdown to steal some thunder from the port home game. Reckon that has been done before hasnt it? Obviously the Walsh events changed all that

My theory - He has told the club he wants to stay a few weeks ago, hasn’t signed just yet but negotiations underway.
He isn’t playing like a player that wants to leave and his embrace with Campo after the game says a lot IMO.

A lot of Journos have gone from “He’s gone, signed with Geelong” to “he hasn’t made his mind up yet” a lot of back tracking happening.

However, until I hear it from Danger I’m not confident haha Reckon we will know more over the next week, it will get out a signing is imminent or it will be its an emotional time and he’s still thinking = gone.
hawks21
Reserves

Has liked: 85 times
Been liked: 37 times

Postby Booney » Tue Jul 21, 2015 9:54 am

hawks21 wrote:

My theory - He has told the club he wants to stay a few weeks ago, hasn’t signed just yet but negotiations underway.
He isn’t playing like a player that wants to leave and his embrace with Campo after the game says a lot IMO.

A lot of Journos have gone from “He’s gone, signed with Geelong” to “he hasn’t made his mind up yet” a lot of back tracking happening.

However, until I hear it from Danger I’m not confident haha Reckon we will know more over the next week, it will get out a signing is imminent or it will be its an emotional time and he’s still thinking = gone.

If his thinking a month ago was to leave at years end not only would he be rethinking his stance but he would be taking his time in doing so.

I doubt the Walsh events would have made him change his mind in an instant if and I say IF he was going. It would have been a huge decision to leave based on fiance, family, lifestyle etc and if he had arrived at that decision there is no way he would do a back flip, regardless of the extraordinary circumstances the club has just been/going through.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Dutchy » Tue Jul 21, 2015 12:00 pm

At the end of the day if he was hellbent on staying he would have signed by now.

With being a restricted free agent and Crows being able to match Geelongs offer is there any rules around the tenure of the contract? i.e. If Geelongs offer is 5 years and the Crows match it does that mean he is a Crows player for the full 5 years or only until he becomes an unrestricted free agent?
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2324 times
Been liked: 3504 times

Postby Ron Burgundy » Tue Jul 21, 2015 12:13 pm

Dutchy wrote:At the end of the day if he was hellbent on staying he would have signed by now.

With being a restricted free agent and Crows being able to match Geelongs offer is there any rules around the tenure of the contract? i.e. If Geelongs offer is 5 years and the Crows match it does that mean he is a Crows player for the full 5 years or only until he becomes an unrestricted free agent?

For some (perhaps more) staying at the football club is no longer an emotional decision.

An employee at a business may string their employer on for some time to maximise their own benefit. And if Danger has done this then so be it.
Not as much love in elite football clubs as there once was.
Ron Burgundy
League - Best 21

Has liked: 174 times
Been liked: 137 times

Postby Booney » Tue Jul 21, 2015 12:35 pm

Dutchy wrote:At the end of the day if he was hellbent on staying he would have signed by now.

Not sure there.

What if :

Geelong offer to sign him to a 2 year deal worth $2.0m. Then 6 months in sign him to a 3 year extension at $500k P.A meaning it's $3.5 over 5 years = $700k P.A

Adelaide would only be obliged to match the initial 2 year $2.0m contract to keep him (as the 3 year extension could be hidden) , unlikely. If they were to have to match $700k P.A for 5 years they'd do it easily.

Further to Dutchy's question, is there a minimum contract length for restricted free agents?

Anyway, my gut feel is that he's staying now, it wasn't up until the last week or two.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Booney » Tue Jul 21, 2015 12:39 pm

1 ( My question answered )

MATCHING OFFERS

A contract offer is matched if the football payments and ASAs are equivalent under the offer and the contract proposed by the player’s current club. To qualify as a matching offer, the player’s current club must make an offer on the same terms as the new offer tabled by the player including:

• Contract length;
• Base payments;
• Total match payments;
• Total ASA payments;

Total performance incentives based on AFL awards or honours, club best and fairest finish or games played (not including finals). Any incentives for team performance do not have to be matched. A player cannot table an offer to be matched for less than a two-year contract length.

http://www.afl.com.au/afl-hq/the-afl-ex ... ree-agency

So Geelong, or indeed any other club chasing a restricted free agent, could do the same thing.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Booney » Tue Jul 21, 2015 12:40 pm

RESTRICTED FREE AGENTS

Players who are in the top 25 per cent of salaries at their club (that is, in the club’s top nine-10 paid players) are eligible for restricted free agency the first time they are out of contract, if they have served at least eight years with the club.

For example, a player who is contracted after his seventh year for one, two, three, four or five years will be eligible for restricted free agency when next out of contract having completed either eight, nine, 10, 11 or 12 seasons respectively.

A top 25 per cent player is eligible for unrestricted free agency when next out of contract, provided a player can never be an unrestricted free agent until completing at least 10 years’ service at one club.

For example, a player who signs a one-year contract after his eighth season is not eligible for unrestricted free agency until he has completed at least 10 years’ service.

Restricted free agents have the right to move to a club of their choice, subject to the current club’s right of first refusal over their services. That is, if the current club can ‘match’ the offer from a suitor club, the player must stay or enter the draft. The tabled offer includes only football payments and Additional Service Agreements (ASA) amounts.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL