General tv discussion thread - good, bad, axings etc etc

Movies, TV Shows, Fringe, etc.

Re: General tv discussion thread - good, bad, axings etc etc

Postby Gozu » Wed Jul 08, 2015 11:39 pm

This new show Glitch starting tomorrow night on the ABC sounds like it might have some promise like an Aussie version of The Returned:

http://www.tvtonight.com.au/2015/06/glitch.html

Good to hear the 12 Monkeys TV series is going to be shown on SBS2 too starting with a double episode on Friday 17th July

http://www.tvtonight.com.au/2015/07/air ... eys-2.html

"The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment" – Warren Bennis
Gozu
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 660 times

Postby woodublieve12 » Tue Jul 14, 2015 10:12 am

i struggled through the first 3 seasons of Breaking Bad, but the fourth season was a beauty and i just finished watching the first episode of the second half of season 5... Brilliant viewing, i am glad i gave it another chance.
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Has liked: 3026 times
Been liked: 2401 times

Postby Dogwatcher » Tue Jul 14, 2015 10:35 am

Any y'all watched Friday Night Lights?
I'm thrashing my way through it at the moment. There are times when I love it, mostly when it's based around the football, and times when I loathe its soppy over sentimentalism.
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby bennymacca » Tue Jul 14, 2015 10:37 am

woodublieve12 wrote:i struggled through the first 3 seasons of Breaking Bad, but the fourth season was a beauty and i just finished watching the first episode of the second half of season 5... Brilliant viewing, i am glad i gave it another chance.

Probably the one show i know of where each season is better than the last.

Starts of well enough but probably if you watch it now knowing the hype around the show you would wonder what the fuss is all about, becasue its really not until season 3 the show hits its stride
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby Dogwatcher » Tue Jul 14, 2015 10:48 am

See, for me, season one was fantastic - there was more football-related storyline, less drama.
Two was rubbish, due to the series needing to be wrapped up quickly because of the writers' strike.
Three and four, I thought were 'meh".
So many loose ends throughout.

* Landry/Tyra's big, big storyline is mistreated, not dealt with and almost forgotten.
* In season four, threats are made to Vince, which never actually seem to be dealt with - he breezes away as if they were never made.
* How do Smash and Tyra fare?
* What happened to Santiago?
* Luke parent's keep coming to games and cheering their son, despite what's happened between them; Coach never really talks to him about it.
* A central character gets an amazing job, yet you never hear of him again, not even via his best mate.
* In the final season, there's a storyline happening around Becky, with no explanation as to how it's occurred.

I dunno, maybe I'm being too forensic.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Postby JK » Tue Jul 14, 2015 10:59 am

Dogwatcher wrote:See, for me, season one was fantastic - there was more football-related storyline, less drama.
Two was rubbish, due to the series needing to be wrapped up quickly because of the writers' strike.

* Landry/Tyra's big, big storyline is mistreated, not dealt with and almost forgotten.
* In season four, threats are made to Vince, which never actually seem to be dealt with - he breezes away as if they were never made.
* Luke parent's keep coming to games and cheering their son, despite what's happened between them; Coach never really talks to him about it.
* A central character gets an amazing job, yet you never hear of him again, not even via his best mate.
* In the final season, there's a storyline happening around Becky, with no explanation as to how it's occurred.

I enjoyed the show, thought it was great escapism. There were plot holes for sure, and apparent mid story directional changes, but it didn't affect things to much for me, just enjoyed watching the relationships between characters, and favourite characters like Riggins, Coach, Buddy etc.

Agreed the first season was the best, but once the eye candy effect of Lyla wore off and her acting ability came to the fore, I couldn't wait for her to get the boot.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4461 times
Been liked: 2988 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby Wedgie » Wed Jul 15, 2015 9:14 pm

Dogwatcher wrote:Any y'all watched Friday Night Lights?
I'm thrashing my way through it at the moment. There are times when I love it, mostly when it's based around the football, and times when I loathe its soppy over sentimentalism.

One of my fav shows of all time.
PIty that sesaon 2 missed the last two episodes due to the writers strike you mentioned.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2050 times
Been liked: 3894 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby Wedgie » Wed Jul 15, 2015 9:15 pm

Finished the latest season of Orange is the New Black, bit disappointed in it as stuff all happened in it, nothing hard core, nothing scary, etc. I know its not supposed to be a hard core drama but the first two seasons had more edge.
Anyway, onto the latest season of Wentworth now to get my fix of drama.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2050 times
Been liked: 3894 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby JK » Thu Jul 16, 2015 12:45 am

Wedgie wrote:Finished the latest season of Orange is the New Black, bit disappointed in it as stuff all happened in it, nothing hard core, nothing scary, etc. I know its not supposed to be a hard core drama but the first two seasons had more edge.
Anyway, onto the latest season of Wentworth now to get my fix of drama.

A
You won't be disappointed then
FUSC
JK
Coach

Postby Gozu » Sat Jul 18, 2015 12:27 am

I watched the first two episodes of 12 Monkeys tonight and safe to say I'm hooked.

If anyone is interested SBS2 are repeating both episodes on Tuesday night at 10:30pm
"The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment" – Warren Bennis
Gozu
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 660 times

Postby HH3 » Sat Jul 18, 2015 12:44 pm

Im up to the third episode of The Killing. Not usually into police dramas, but this one seems decent so far
I TOLD YOU SO

2013/14 NFL Tipping Comp Champion
HH3
Coach

Has liked: 3301 times
Been liked: 2433 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby Dogwatcher » Wed Jul 22, 2015 3:50 pm

JK wrote:
Dogwatcher wrote:See, for me, season one was fantastic - there was more football-related storyline, less drama.

I enjoyed the show, thought it was great escapism. There were plot holes for sure, and apparent mid story directional changes, but it didn't affect things to much for me, just enjoyed watching the relationships between characters, and favourite characters like Riggins, Coach, Buddy etc.

Agreed the first season was the best, but once the eye candy effect of Lyla wore off and her acting ability came to the fore, I couldn't wait for her to get the boot.

Okay, well I just completed season five last night and FNL won me back in a big way.
I've been feeling a sense of loss today that I had no new episodes to watch and no more watching Connie Britton.
I just wish seasons 2/3 could've been as good as 1/5. 4 was ok.
And...a few of my points from the above post were dealt with (some with an almost sense). But I think there were still a few plot holes.
I liked the growth of one of the integral characters in the last series - it was good to see him shine.
I was also enjoyed the depth of one of the female characters, linked to the above one - she became more sympathetic.
The scenes between coach and Vince were also good.
Despite his occasional truculence, don't we all wish we had a Coach Taylor in our lives?
Dogwatcher
Coach

Postby Dogwatcher » Wed Jul 22, 2015 3:51 pm

Okay, now Friday Night Lights is done, I need a new show to watch.
Something I can watch while I'm on the exercise bike/stretching, so something with a bit of life in it.

Any thoughts?
Dogwatcher
Coach

Postby bennymacca » Wed Jul 22, 2015 3:57 pm

Dogwatcher wrote:Okay, now Friday Night Lights is done, I need a new show to watch.
Something I can watch while I'm on the exercise bike/stretching, so something with a bit of life in it.

Any thoughts?

parks and rec?
bennymacca
Coach

Postby JK » Wed Jul 22, 2015 3:59 pm

Dogwatcher wrote:Okay, now Friday Night Lights is done, I need a new show to watch.

Any thoughts?

Arrested Development?
FUSC
JK
Coach

Postby woodublieve12 » Wed Jul 22, 2015 4:00 pm

brooklyn nine nine
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Has liked: 3026 times
Been liked: 2401 times

Postby bennymacca » Wed Jul 22, 2015 4:01 pm

woodublieve12 wrote:brooklyn nine nine

have seen the first season, loved it. (Interestingly on Aus netflix but not on the US one)
bennymacca
Coach

Postby helicopterking » Wed Jul 22, 2015 4:07 pm

woodublieve12 wrote:brooklyn nine nine

Yep,great show.
helicopterking
Coach

Has liked: 298 times