Re: Points System Is Crucifying Country Footy

Talk on any country footy league or club from the SA Country area

Re: Re: Points System Is Crucifying Country Footy

Postby OnSong » Thu Jul 23, 2015 5:15 pm

Useless wrote:
OnSong wrote:Just follow the rules and you won't have a problem.

I think you are missing the point. You obviously do a lot for your club so well done, but unfortunately some clubs cannot find the people with the time to be able to do this as you.

I would think that your club would be in the minority in not only reporting correctly to the ATO, but in that they have minimal payments (not syaing this is a bad thing). some clubs need the extra players to be competitive and have to pay to get these. Success breeds success so you try and re-build a club around winning games. Its very hard to improve with out recruitment.

You have the advantage of being the biggest town in your league so the ability to gain juniors as well as other players is alot easier. This isnt just an attack on you or your club but just trying to argue my point.

How do you think teams in your league like hamley, united and perhaps virginia are going to survive if they cant pay players more than they can get at a club down the road from where they live. I find it hard to see under the new system how teams get better.

Yes there are some clubs that have not paid there players under a sustainable model. I feel if your club can generate the revenue and do it sustainably then they should be able to spend what they want or what ever they see fit.

Looking at Hamley as an example why did the league give them more points? they gave them enough rope to hang themselves. as much blame should be on the league as there is on the club.

another argument is to put the money into juniors, what can you honestly spend to gain juniors? do we start paying them? spare me. you gain juniors by winning games. you run football clubs to win games and premierships.

You can define a club's success with flags, but the one with the flag at the moment ain't having so much success now is it?
So by your reckoning, success breeds success, I think that's not entirely true, otherwise everyone would be at Hamley Bridge still, right?
I think by bringing in the cap, the exorbitant price players are asking will come down.
Every club will come under the cap, I feel there will be plenty of players out there not able to get money at metro clubs and seek country opportunities.
If anything, I would think the points system is far more restrictive, as club's are effectively punished for their success by limiting the number of players they can recruit.
You used the word sustainable. Problem is there are people out there who chase short term success at the cost of the sustainability of their club.
Sure, we're the biggest town in the area, but we also have two satellite clubs hacking into the population, as Mallala probably does too.
Mallala is the most successful in terms of flags but I'd consider their junior and senior depth as more of a reason for their success, than out and out recruitment of guns etc. Easy to say I guess. I accept there are other perspectives to it. Just want to see it in action before we declare it a failure.
Right in front of me. RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME!
OnSong
Coach

Has liked: 524 times
Been liked: 543 times

Postby Jim05 » Thu Jul 23, 2015 5:49 pm

All clubs will follow the rules id imagine, just might mean local business' will have to "employ" a few extra staff over winter ;)
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1125 times
Been liked: 3534 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby Useless » Thu Jul 23, 2015 5:59 pm

OnSong wrote:
Useless wrote:

I think you are missing the point. You obviously do a lot for your club so well done, but unfortunately some clubs cannot find the people with the time to be able to do this as you.

I would think that your club would be in the minority in not only reporting correctly to the ATO, but in that they have minimal payments (not syaing this is a bad thing). some clubs need the extra players to be competitive and have to pay to get these. Success breeds success so you try and re-build a club around winning games. Its very hard to improve with out recruitment.

You have the advantage of being the biggest town in your league so the ability to gain juniors as well as other players is alot easier. This isnt just an attack on you or your club but just trying to argue my point.

How do you think teams in your league like hamley, united and perhaps virginia are going to survive if they cant pay players more than they can get at a club down the road from where they live. I find it hard to see under the new system how teams get better.

Yes there are some clubs that have not paid there players under a sustainable model. I feel if your club can generate the revenue and do it sustainably then they should be able to spend what they want or what ever they see fit.

Looking at Hamley as an example why did the league give them more points? they gave them enough rope to hang themselves. as much blame should be on the league as there is on the club.

another argument is to put the money into juniors, what can you honestly spend to gain juniors? do we start paying them? spare me. you gain juniors by winning games. you run football clubs to win games and premierships.

You can define a club's success with flags, but the one with the flag at the moment ain't having so much success now is it?
So by your reckoning, success breeds success, I think that's not entirely true, otherwise everyone would be at Hamley Bridge still, right?
I think by bringing in the cap, the exorbitant price players are asking will come down.
Every club will come under the cap, I feel there will be plenty of players out there not able to get money at metro clubs and seek country opportunities.
If anything, I would think the points system is far more restrictive, as club's are effectively punished for their success by limiting the number of players they can recruit.
You used the word sustainable. Problem is there are people out there who chase short term success at the cost of the sustainability of their club.
Sure, we're the biggest town in the area, but we also have two satellite clubs hacking into the population, as Mallala probably does too.
Mallala is the most successful in terms of flags but I'd consider their junior and senior depth as more of a reason for their success, than out and out recruitment of guns etc. Easy to say I guess. I accept there are other perspectives to it. Just want to see it in action before we declare it a failure.

The league should have stepped in to stop Hamley being one year wonders, they should have made them try to build a team over a period of time creating loyalty. Thats happened so be it. I just dont think you should punish teams who are trying to building and cant do it for under 3000 a week.

why run a footy club if its not to win premierships.

With this introduction mallala and balak wont have to worry about satellite towns and there teams cause they will fold. so they will have to find a new league.
Useless

Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 8 times

Postby RooShootOhh » Fri Jul 24, 2015 2:39 pm

Useless wrote:The league should have stepped in to stop Hamley being one year wonders, they should have made them try to build a team over a period of time creating loyalty. Thats happened so be it. I just dont think you should punish teams who are trying to building and cant do it for under 3000 a week.

why run a footy club if its not to win premierships.

2011 - Spoon (7 In a row I think)
2012 - Started building as you suggested, finished 5th
2013 - Kept most of 2012 plus added some more 3rd
2014 - Kept base level squad, did change a few imports from 2013 bud didnt add to their import numbers PREMIERS

So while its easy for people to sit back and say Hamley bought a flag in 2014, its easy to forget that they did it over a 3 yr period just like most clubs, yours included by the sound of it...

Easy to forget the junior program they set up over those 3 years which ended up in a colts team in a GF last year also right???

Then you say why run a footy club if its not to win flags, yet your upset Hamley won one...

But don't let that get in the way of a good yarn.

Now no-one wants to see whats happening now, but its the reality, if there no core locals to base a club around (Hamley, United, HWE in the Plains alone let alone other comps) they can ONLY strike when a local group presents the opportunity to support any paid locals, and thats runs true FOR EVERY country footy team.
RooShootOhh
Under 16s

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 40 times
Grassroots Team: Waikerie

Postby sideview » Fri Jul 24, 2015 3:44 pm

Had an interesting comment passed onto me today in regards to Salary Cap and APPS.
The Salary Cap / APPS committee are expecting a number of country clubs to fold due to the new salary cap regulations. Hence I would suggest there will be no discussion in regards to a phase in period or adjustment of the salary cap for any affiliated leagues.
They are expecting clubs in regional South Australia including the South East, Mallee, Riverland, Adelaide Plains and other regional areas to not be able to continue due to lack of numbers. Obviously these people have no affiliation with country towns who's only source of social interaction is through sport on the weekends. Almost ruling football by abolishing freedom of choice, causing social exclusion for regional communities.
I think all people agree a salary cap is required but to submit clubs to a ridiculous amount along with the APPS is both unwarranted and unproductive in what the CFL is trying to achieve.
Leanne Grantham commented 90% of presidents agreed with salary cap I would like to see that list and I would also like to see what response those 90% would have at the proposed changes. I think now that people have had a chance to study the proposal would agree the changes are to severe and probably at least a three year phase in period was warranted. All the CFL will achieve now is to drive payments under the table even further.
The other predicament the CFL will find themselves in relates to the APPS points being used as punishment. How can this be unless directed solely at the SAAFL as they are the only league who have every team on the same points (15). Every other league that I know of have varied points. 3 years ago pretty sure Tanunda was on 1 point so how does taking all there APPS points away equate to the same as taking all of Kingston's 20 points away. I would have thought all APPS points would have to be equal to use as punishment.
To Leanne Grantham and David Shipway you have yelled from the rafters how good the Country Championships were, and how good football is in our state, so why are we looking to make such monumental changes. Agree we needed changes but the sledgehammer approach wreaks of desperation. A last ditch effort to save the SANFL and what a bonus for the SAAFL pity about everybody else.
sideview
Mini-League

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 4 times
Grassroots Team: Meadows

Postby qwerty » Fri Jul 24, 2015 4:08 pm

Some great posts and discussion on this thread, I wonder if the 'SACFL' and I use that term loosely have taken the time to read any of this?

It would appear based on the large majority that they should at least seek feedback from clubs, not leagues, as many on here are upset by the representation or lack thereof they are being provided with.

The fact that this is supposed to work in conjunction with the APPS is even more baffling.
qwerty
Under 16s

Been liked: 4 times

Postby Look Good In Leather » Fri Jul 24, 2015 4:13 pm

qwerty wrote:Some great posts and discussion on this thread, I wonder if the 'SACFL' and I use that term loosely have taken the time to read any of this?

It would appear based on the large majority that they should at least seek feedback from clubs, not leagues, as many on here are upset by the representation or lack thereof they are being provided with.

The fact that this is supposed to work in conjunction with the APPS is even more baffling.

Their focus is club rationalisation. Too much competition for AFLSA.
Look Good In Leather
League - Best 21

Has liked: 150 times
Been liked: 284 times
Grassroots Team: Christies Beach

Postby Bag & Sledge » Fri Jul 24, 2015 4:38 pm

sideview wrote:Had an interesting comment passed onto me today in regards to Salary Cap and APPS.
The Salary Cap / APPS committee are expecting a number of country clubs to fold due to the new salary cap regulations. Hence I would suggest there will be no discussion in regards to a phase in period or adjustment of the salary cap for any affiliated leagues.
They are expecting clubs in regional South Australia including the South East, Mallee, Riverland, Adelaide Plains and other regional areas to not be able to continue due to lack of numbers. Obviously these people have no affiliation with country towns who's only source of social interaction is through sport on the weekends. Almost ruling football by abolishing freedom of choice, causing social exclusion for regional communities.
I think all people agree a salary cap is required but to submit clubs to a ridiculous amount along with the APPS is both unwarranted and unproductive in what the CFL is trying to achieve.
Leanne Grantham commented 90% of presidents agreed with salary cap I would like to see that list and I would also like to see what response those 90% would have at the proposed changes. I think now that people have had a chance to study the proposal would agree the changes are to severe and probably at least a three year phase in period was warranted. All the CFL will achieve now is to drive payments under the table even further.
The other predicament the CFL will find themselves in relates to the APPS points being used as punishment. How can this be unless directed solely at the SAAFL as they are the only league who have every team on the same points (15). Every other league that I know of have varied points. 3 years ago pretty sure Tanunda was on 1 point so how does taking all there APPS points away equate to the same as taking all of Kingston's 20 points away. I would have thought all APPS points would have to be equal to use as punishment.
To Leanne Grantham and David Shipway you have yelled from the rafters how good the Country Championships were, and how good football is in our state, so why are we looking to make such monumental changes. Agree we needed changes but the sledgehammer approach wreaks of desperation. A last ditch effort to save the SANFL and what a bonus for the SAAFL pity about everybody else.

Well said Sideview!
Maybe its time for a change at the top?
Are the current board members the same group that introduced a player points system that has not worked and continues to have 'one rule for your league and one rule for another league' along with making sure no one implements a sliding scale APPS for the precious SAAFL competition??
For the CFL to believe that bringing in a Salary Cap will save the SANFL or SAAFL it sounds delusional.
A Salary Cap will not attract players back to the SANFL or SAAFL, what it will do is drive the quality players over the border to Victoria where they can still earn their $$ and under the table payments will start to be a regular thing at some clubs.
As for the Salary Cap helping country footy, well I can guarantee a Salary Cap will never help.
Clubs that currently struggling to field a B Grade team rely heavily on 5-6 recruits in the A Grade to bolster numbers for both senior teams, these clubs will no longer be able to recruit more than 2 players due to the salary cap, so this will only mean clubs will shut the doors on a sport that that dominates most country communities.
Bag & Sledge
Under 18s

Has liked: 40 times
Been liked: 31 times

Postby cracka » Fri Jul 24, 2015 6:23 pm

qwerty wrote:Some great posts and discussion on this thread, I wonder if the 'SACFL' and I use that term loosely have taken the time to read any of this?

In the past I have found that some opinions on here are in total contradiction to their own clubs views.
cracka
Veteran

Has liked: 458 times
Been liked: 560 times
Grassroots Team: Onkaparinga Valley

Postby oyster » Fri Jul 24, 2015 11:49 pm

If you read the terms and conditions of rules that this group on the Fantasy Football Board, you can see that they are either arrogant or have NFI. Firstly they don't understand these rules will cripple small country clubs who rely on imports to field a side. You don't get players to Murrayville and Peake without spending more than $3,000 a game. Then the rules state that you are guilty until innocent if charged with a breach of the rules. Clubs will have to to prove their innocence, if dobbed in by another club for breaking any laws. That is just comedy gold. These people are writing laws, that are not even permissible under the laws of the land. Guilty until proven innocent. Thankfully 5 leagues have already decided that they will tell them to shove it where the sun doesn't shine. More leagues will then follow the leaders, as their clubs players will get raided for 0 points, by the leagues not joining
oyster
Rookie

Been liked: 20 times

Postby Dogwatcher » Sat Jul 25, 2015 8:09 am

They are, don't you worry. :?
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby CouchExpert » Sun Jul 26, 2015 10:36 am

The thing that makes me laugh is that SACFL have said that player payments are putting volunteers under stress & causing them to become disillusioned.How much more disillusioned do you think they are going to become with all the extra paperwork that the Salary Cap will bring?It has been bad enough this year with the introduction of the online player registration system (absolute nightmare & joke) I know for a fact of clubs loosing volunteers over this issue alone.
The other thing is that the new Salary Cap rules are so vague in places that they would not stand up to a court challenge.You would think that people would have learnt after the Echunga fiasco!
CouchExpert
Mini-League

Been liked: 8 times
Grassroots Team: Bordertown

Postby WellPlayed#9 » Sun Jul 26, 2015 11:49 pm

Its funny how so many clubs are saying this is terrible for country footy yet go on to say it wouldnt affect them based on what they are doing this year! I wonder howmany clubs would be prepared to fully open up their books to an auditor firstly get a clear picture of what clubs are currently doing, and then from there possibly model what will happen under the new regime.
Football aint for the faint hearted, anonymous blogging is!
WellPlayed#9

Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 10 times
Grassroots Team: Tanunda

Postby Pag » Mon Jul 27, 2015 9:14 am

Bag & Sledge wrote:
sideview wrote:Had an interesting comment passed onto me today in regards to Salary Cap and APPS.

Well said Sideview!
Are the current board members the same group that introduced a player points system that has not worked and continues to have 'one rule for your league and one rule for another league' along with making sure no one implements a sliding scale APPS for the precious SAAFL competition??
For the CFL to believe that bringing in a Salary Cap will save the SANFL or SAAFL it sounds delusional.
A Salary Cap will not attract players back to the SANFL or SAAFL, what it will do is drive the quality players over the border to Victoria where they can still earn their $$ and under the table payments will start to be a regular thing at some clubs.
As for the Salary Cap helping country footy, well I can guarantee a Salary Cap will never help.
Clubs that currently struggling to field a B Grade team rely heavily on 5-6 recruits in the A Grade to bolster numbers for both senior teams, these clubs will no longer be able to recruit more than 2 players due to the salary cap, so this will only mean clubs will shut the doors on a sport that that dominates most country communities.

Remind me again why the SAAFL needs saving?
Pag
Coach

Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 498 times

Postby Bag & Sledge » Mon Jul 27, 2015 9:31 am

Pag wrote:
Bag & Sledge wrote:

Well said Sideview!

Remind me again why the SAAFL needs saving?

Ask your leader John Kernahan and then ask the SACFL?
Bag & Sledge
Under 18s

Postby cracka » Mon Jul 27, 2015 9:34 am

Bag & Sledge wrote:
Pag wrote:Remind me again why the SAAFL needs saving?

Ask your leader John Kernahan and then ask the SACFL?

Pretty sure he's asking you.
cracka
Veteran

Has liked: 458 times
Been liked: 560 times
Grassroots Team: Onkaparinga Valley

Postby Jim05 » Mon Jul 27, 2015 9:45 am

cracka wrote:Pretty sure he's asking you.

Seems to be the SAAFL clubs that are kicking up the most stink about losing players to the country leagues.
These measures are being put in place to try and prevent players leaving the ammos, has nothing to do with saving clubs in the country.
Luckily the country clubs have plenty of savvy people in charge who will find ways around it
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1125 times
Been liked: 3534 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby daysofourlives » Mon Jul 27, 2015 6:08 pm

Are coaches exempt from the salary cap?

Is Barossa District appointing joint coaches the 1st of many to go down that path?
Will clubs appoint 2 or 3 or 4 joint coaches if they avoid the salary cap?
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
Spargo's Good Friday Cup Champion 2020
daysofourlives
Coach

Has liked: 2415 times
Been liked: 1657 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

Postby OnSong » Mon Jul 27, 2015 6:18 pm

daysofourlives wrote:Are coaches exempt from the salary cap?

Is Barossa District appointing joint coaches the 1st of many to go down that path?

Don't think so but I'd have to read up on it again.
Right in front of me. RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME!
OnSong
Coach

Has liked: 524 times
Been liked: 543 times

Postby Bag & Sledge » Mon Jul 27, 2015 6:44 pm

OnSong wrote:
daysofourlives wrote:Are coaches exempt from the salary cap?

Don't think so but I'd have to read up on it again.

SENIOR COACHES
means a senior coach of the Clubs A Grade Team and does not include assistant coaches, coaches of the reserves/B grade teams or junior coaches
Playing Senior Coaches
1. A Playing Senior Coach’s portion of payments in relation to his ‘player payment’ is deemed to be $300 per week and it must be included in the total player maximum payments of $3,000 per match.
After significant discussion it was decided to only assess the Club’s Senior Playing Coach’s portion of salary to play at $300 per week. This was lower than may have been expected but it was deemed appropriate to encourage quality individuals to Community Football Clubs and the long term benefits to Clubs. It was decided that the $300 deemed payment for playing should be included in $3,000 maximum payment as most Playing Coach’s would normally be paid more than $300.
2. Any Coach being paid to play must sign an official player contract for the payments made as a player. The contract must also provide the amount paid to the Coach as the Senior Coach (coaches fee)
The Club Coach requires a contract to manage the agreement and payment and to discourage coaches from making additional payments to players under their coaching remuneration.
Bag & Sledge
Under 18s

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Country Footy