wubsy's Sydney thread

Talk on the national game

Re: Sydney Swans 2015

Postby Jim05 » Wed Jul 29, 2015 10:31 am

Zartan wrote:
whufc wrote:Mundine is another one who rubs people up the wrong way and is very much unliked, yet compared to Ben Cousins his close to a saint.

Mundine does it for the publicity, he draws the crowd and he essentially brings Australian Boxing and Aboriginality to the forefront..

Unless you're a little outspoken, the Australian public don't want to know about a hard working successful Aboriginal lad - look at all the people who seem to make headlines or gain support - they're either "battlers/underdogs" or outspoken.

How many people would've heard of Daniel Geale before he fought Mundine? Another proud Aboriginal lad but quiet about his business.
What about Rocky Jerkic? Could potentially be the greatest Aboriginal boxer Australia has ever produced but I doubt anyone knows who he is.

What frustrates me the most with people who jump on the Mundine and/or Goodes hate wagon is the fact most don't even seem to know why they dislike them - they're just sheep following the crowd.. Sure they throw out the same repetitive comments they read everywhere "he's a knob, he talks crap, he brings it on himself, he's a sook" - but challenge those people to provide examples and they're lost.

So Mundine saying the destruction of the Twin Towers was deserved by Americans is ok?
Even his old man pulled him on that
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1125 times
Been liked: 3534 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby Footy Smart » Wed Jul 29, 2015 10:35 am

woodublieve12 wrote:Ben Cousins - drug addict, brakes the law - loved, given chance after chance
Shane Warne (who i am a fan off) - cheats on his missus, banned from his sport for taking a band substance, carrying on like a pork chop, does do alot for charity - as above

Cathy Freeman - proud of her heritage, outspoken regarding aboriginal issues, wore aboriginal flag after winning gold (slammed), won australian of the year (people said she only won it because the colour of her skin), lit the couldron for the 2000 olympics (people gave the same reason for the AOTY award), a great role model for kids around the country - loathed by many

Adam Goodes - proud of his heritage, outspoken regarding aboriginal issues, won australian of the year (people said she only won it because the colour of his skin), tremendous amount of charity work, ambassador for domestic violence - loathed

i understand why people dislike goodes, do i agree with it no, as i pointed out with the brief examples above people have done far worse than him but are aussie hero's... i feel there is something wrong with that.

Goodes' contribution to society far outways the few dirty things he has done on the footy field and the 'luck' he has had with the tribunal.
Footy Smart
Coach

Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 118 times
Grassroots Team: Modbury

Postby The Bedge » Wed Jul 29, 2015 10:36 am

Jim05 wrote:So Mundine saying the destruction of the Twin Towers was deserved by Americans is ok?
Even his old man pulled him on that

Didn't say everything he says or does is ok? No.

Point I'm making is people are sheep - they hate or like someone because the masses do.. To continue using Mundine as an example, an extremely talented Rugby League player, in South Australia those who know, understand and follow Rugby League are few and far - yet everyone always seems to throw out the "He was a w@nker in the NRL, outspoken etc blah blah blah"

They don't even know what he was outspoken about or if it were accurate -they just hear a bunch of other people throw out those lines and jump onboard.

All a pack of sheep
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3188 times
Been liked: 3989 times

Postby The Bedge » Wed Jul 29, 2015 10:43 am

What angers me the most about people who are on the anti-Goodes wagon.. have a conversation you're guaranteed to get one of if not all of the following responses from them:

a) He's a knob. (Why? See answer c) )
b) He's a sook. (Why? Because he complains about being booed)
c) He gets looked after. (He must be alone in the AFL in that boat :roll: )
d) He won AOTY because he picked on a 13yo girl for calling him an Ape. (Completely wrong, and no doubt just heard another mate say that or read it somewhere)
e) He does look like an Ape.(But if I call you a halfwit bet you'd get offended.)
f) Booing has always happened, he should get over it.(Does that make it right though? He's expressed he doesn't like it, so shouldn't that be enough to stop? It's just harassment and bullying to continue and to intensify those boos because you know he doesn't like it.)
g) I've never liked him. (So that's a legit reason to continue to harass a bloke? I don't like plenty of people, I don't like Lleyton Hewitt but I don't go to the tennis and boo him)
h) I'm not racist - I have a mate whose aboriginal (Ok so that makes it ok? If you have a mate whose aboriginal then surely you'd be more cultural aware and sensitive?)
The Bedge
Coach

Postby Booney » Wed Jul 29, 2015 10:49 am

Been interesting speaking to family and friends about this.

( In a general sense )

The majority of over 60's I've spoken to have said "Get over it and move on, sook"

The majority of 40/50's have said "I think they've made too much of a fuss, it's not helping the matter and I think it's time to move on"

The majority of teens/20/30's have said "It's really poor and needs to stop."

I think generational change is taking place, I think Australia is moving forward, but I think it's a long way from being what I think most of us wish it was. It will never be perfect ( in terms of racial harmony ) but I believe that the generation I am in (at 39) and my children are in, in the main, are changing things for the better.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed Jul 29, 2015 10:51 am

Zartan wrote:What angers me the most about people who are on the anti-Goodes wagon.. have a conversation you're guaranteed to get one of if not all of the following responses from them:

d) He won AOTY because he picked on a 13yo girl for calling him an Ape. (Completely wrong, and no doubt just heard another mate say that or read it somewhere)
e) He does look like an Ape.(But if I call you a halfwit bet you'd get offended.)
f) Booing has always happened, he should get over it.(Does that make it right though? He's expressed he doesn't like it, so shouldn't that be enough to stop? It's just harassment and bullying to continue and to intensify those boos because you know he doesn't like it.)
g) I've never liked him. (So that's a legit reason to continue to harass a bloke? I don't like plenty of people, I don't like Lleyton Hewitt but I don't go to the tennis and boo him)
h) I'm not racist - I have a mate whose aboriginal (Ok so that makes it ok? If you have a mate whose aboriginal then surely you'd be more cultural aware and sensitive?)

Ease up Turbo, everyone has their own opinions and you just have to accept that.

I used to like him, I don't any more, I don't boo individuals at any level so I can't relate to it but I don't think he's done himself any favours.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

Postby bennymacca » Wed Jul 29, 2015 10:58 am

not doing himself any favours is not a justification for continual harassment.
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby whufc » Wed Jul 29, 2015 11:01 am

Zartan wrote:What angers me the most about people who are on the anti-Goodes wagon.. have a conversation you're guaranteed to get one of if not all of the following responses from them:

Agree with most of that though I do believe he really needs to get over the whole booing thing.

One of the reasons he gets paid the millions he does is because he performs in front of crowds in the thousands. While I don't agree with why the crowds are booing he is not the first or last person to ever be booed on a sporting field.

From what I have read he has made this whole issue about 'him' being booed, I could understand his argument if he and his club had also said they had an issue with booing with the umpires, sledges towards opposition players, talked about players previously who had been subject to this etc etc but it is all about him.

Booing is such an uneducated bogan thing to do but the second you start telling fans they can't support or make comments within reason for the $50 ticket they buy to the footy is when people stop going, when people stop going so does the money these footballers recieve.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5565 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby whufc » Wed Jul 29, 2015 11:01 am

bennymacca wrote:not doing himself any favours is not a justification for continual harassment.

Does the same apply to umpires who are booed almost every game they leave AO!
whufc
Coach

Postby The Bedge » Wed Jul 29, 2015 11:03 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:Ease up Turbo, everyone has their own opinions and you just have to accept that.

I'm happy for people to have an opinion - as long as they've formed that opinion themselves and not just going with what the majority of people are saying.

The other thing that I'm a little lost with is where this perception that Goodes pulling the race card with the booing..

I could be wrong (often am lol), but I've never heard him actually come out and say the people who boo him are racist.

I've heard him express disappointment and dislike but that's it.

Lumumba and Jetta do a war cry and everyone puts it back on Goodes being a sook pulling the race card for being booed :shock:

He's played a few weeks with constant booing, said nothing and Jetta comes out and sticks up for him and everyone has a crack at Goodes again?! :shock:

I'm lost
The Bedge
Coach

Postby bennymacca » Wed Jul 29, 2015 11:07 am

whufc wrote:
bennymacca wrote:not doing himself any favours is not a justification for continual harassment.

Does the same apply to umpires who are booed almost every game they leave AO!

That certainly isnt limited to AO.

And I have yelled at umpires like the next man, but that doesnt make it right and im not about to say piss off i can boo umpires if i want. Ideally we all wouldnt do it, and if complaining turned into vitriol about umpires i would say something. Booing really is lowest common denominator stuff, there is no nuance there, so people have no right to be offended when they get lumped with the lowest common denominator (i.e the racists)
bennymacca
Coach

Postby The Bedge » Wed Jul 29, 2015 11:09 am

When has anyone booed an umpire? :shock: I've heard people complain about umpires but never boo them?
The Bedge
Coach

Postby whufc » Wed Jul 29, 2015 11:18 am

Zartan wrote:When has anyone booed an umpire? :shock: I've heard people complain about umpires but never boo them?

Lol

Almost every game at AO ends with the umpires walking down the tunnel to a sea of boos
whufc
Coach

Postby The Bedge » Wed Jul 29, 2015 11:19 am

whufc wrote:
Zartan wrote:When has anyone booed an umpire? :shock: I've heard people complain about umpires but never boo them?

Lol

Almost every game at AO ends with the umpires walking down the tunnel to a sea of boos

:lol: :lol: I'm probably too drunk by then and more concerned with other stuff to notice
The Bedge
Coach

Postby Dogwatcher » Wed Jul 29, 2015 11:24 am

I think it's interesting that so many people say Goodes should get over it and yet those who boo Goodes clearly haven't gotten over it themselves. What 'it' is, I don't know and I'm not even sure the booers do either.
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby Q. » Wed Jul 29, 2015 11:29 am

I think people are enjoying tearing down a prominent figure because they are insecure about their uninteresting and uninspiring lives, and that's why it's reached this level of premeditated bullying.
Q.
Coach

Has liked: 970 times
Been liked: 2396 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

Postby Footy Smart » Wed Jul 29, 2015 11:33 am

Q. wrote:I think people are enjoying tearing down a prominent figure because they are insecure about their uninteresting and uninspiring lives, and that's why it's reached this level of premeditated bullying.

correct, tall poppy syndrome at its finest
Footy Smart
Coach

Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 118 times
Grassroots Team: Modbury

Postby whufc » Wed Jul 29, 2015 11:34 am

Footy Smart wrote:
Q. wrote:I think people are enjoying tearing down a prominent figure because they are insecure about their uninteresting and uninspiring lives, and that's why it's reached this level of premeditated bullying.

correct, tall poppy syndrome at its finest

Yep it's alive an well in Oz still
whufc
Coach

Postby bennymacca » Wed Jul 29, 2015 11:35 am

Its the Australian way
bennymacca
Coach

Postby whufc » Wed Jul 29, 2015 11:36 am

Dogwatcher wrote:I think it's interesting that so many people say Goodes should get over it and yet those who boo Goodes clearly haven't gotten over it themselves. What 'it' is, I don't know and I'm not even sure the booers do either.

I'm not a big Goodes fan but I would never boo him!!

Seems an extremely pointless exercise to me when I could be drinking beer
whufc
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL