wubsy's Sydney thread

Talk on the national game

Re: Sydney Swans 2015

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed Jul 29, 2015 11:46 am

Zartan wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:Ease up Turbo, everyone has their own opinions and you just have to accept that.

I'm happy for people to have an opinion - as long as they've formed that opinion themselves and not just going with what the majority of people are saying.

The other thing that I'm a little lost with is where this perception that Goodes pulling the race card with the booing..

I could be wrong (often am lol), but I've never heard him actually come out and say the people who boo him are racist.

I've heard him express disappointment and dislike but that's it.

Lumumba and Jetta do a war cry and everyone puts it back on Goodes being a sook pulling the race card for being booed :shock:

He's played a few weeks with constant booing, said nothing and Jetta comes out and sticks up for him and everyone has a crack at Goodes again?! :shock:

I'm lost

You're always going to be lost if you try to understand humans, the most complicated specie going around.

I don't like him because I think he handled the girl incident poorly, I don't like the special treatment he gets from the umpires/AFL judicary, I didn't like his rant over him being a sub player and I don't like the clumsy way he plays the game or the general persona on the field.

On the same token, I wouldn't boo him.

FWIW, I think Lumumba is a bigger flog, Goodesy should try and blank it out and kick some goals.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4346 times
Been liked: 7926 times

Postby The Bedge » Wed Jul 29, 2015 11:57 am

whufc wrote:Seems an extremely pointless exercise to me when I could be drinking beer

AMEN!
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3193 times
Been liked: 4003 times

Postby woodublieve12 » Wed Jul 29, 2015 12:25 pm

the booing says a lot more about the people doing it than the person being booed.
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Has liked: 3026 times
Been liked: 2401 times

Postby whufc » Wed Jul 29, 2015 12:38 pm

woodublieve12 wrote:the booing says a lot more about the people doing it than the person being booed.

Too a point I agree, people are sheep, they like the latest faze that's how many clubs were created like the Crows, they were the new big shiny toy. The AFL thrive on these people

I think through a combination of the AFL, the media, social media etc the AFL now has created heroes and villain characters similar to WWE!

The fact people now pay $30 plus a ticket makes them feel like they have a 'right' to act how they want which I don't automatically agree with especially when it comes to racism, personal abuse.

I do think though as a professional sportsmen you are going to get abused, booed, critised publically and unfortunatly its those people doing that who are essentially paying your inflated wages.

Just a thought- would you be upset more by a group of people booing you because they don't like your character or persona they see or would you prefer to be harshly critised (comments like past his best, should retire, gone on to long) by main stream media personalities who may have never played the game at a level beyond ammos.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5589 times
Been liked: 2531 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby cracka » Wed Jul 29, 2015 12:42 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:
You're always going to be lost if you try to understand humans, the most complicated specie going around.

I don't like him because I think he handled the girl incident poorly, I don't like the special treatment he gets from the umpires/AFL judicary, I didn't like his rant over him being a sub player and I don't like the clumsy way he plays the game or the general persona on the field.

FWIW, I think Lumumba is a bigger flog, Goodesy should try and blank it out and kick some goals.

I thought he handled that situation well. He didn't know she was only 13 at the time she racially abused him (must admit she looked older than it to me at the time). Once he found out how old she was he held a press conference saying it's not her fault & would like to sit down & chat with her to tell her why being called an ape is offensive to indigenous.
First person I've heard of having to apologise to the abuser for being racially abused. F@*! Me.
cracka
Veteran

Has liked: 462 times
Been liked: 567 times
Grassroots Team: Onkaparinga Valley

Postby stampy » Wed Jul 29, 2015 12:44 pm

now jason mifsud has joined in, why he is still holding the position he does is beyond me, should have been sacked by the afl back in 2012 instead of andy d refusing his resignation for creating and spreading rumours regarding mark neeld and the melbourne fc.,

the bloke is a disgrace
Go The Tiges!!!
stampy
Coach

Has liked: 66 times
Been liked: 334 times
Grassroots Team: Christies Beach

Postby Jim05 » Wed Jul 29, 2015 12:48 pm

bennymacca wrote:
Q. wrote:I think people are enjoying tearing down a prominent figure because they are insecure about their uninteresting and uninspiring lives, and that's why it's reached this level of premeditated bullying.

Its the Australian way

Not just the Australian way.
We have nothing on the Poms or Yanks :D
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1126 times
Been liked: 3552 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby whufc » Wed Jul 29, 2015 12:48 pm

cracka wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:

I thought he handled that situation well. He didn't know she was only 13 at the time she racially abused him (must admit she looked older than it to me at the time). Once he found out how old she was he held a press conference saying it's not her fault & would like to sit down & chat with her to tell her why being called an ape is offensive to indigenous.
First person I've heard of having to apologise to the abuser for being racially abused. F@*! Me.

Agree but I think people got upset that she has now been labelled a racist and put through hell when (potentially) her comments had zero racist motives.

Only she will ever know what her motives were. I wouldn't be surprised either way
whufc
Coach

Postby whufc » Wed Jul 29, 2015 12:52 pm

Jim05 wrote:
bennymacca wrote:
Q. wrote:I think people are enjoying tearing down a prominent figure because they are insecure about their uninteresting and uninspiring lives, and that's why it's reached this level of premeditated bullying.

Its the Australian way

Not just the Australian way.
We have nothing on the Poms or Yanks :D

The yanks are even dumber sledges.

Last year I saw a game between Lakers and Rockets at the Staples Centre it happened to be ex highly paid Laker Dwight Howard's first game versus the Lakers.

The booing there was out of this world, nothing like I've heard before. It coincided with the imaginative HOWARD SUCKS, HOWARD SUCKS repetitive chant.

Howard didn't complain he went on to score 20 odd points leading the rockets to a very comfortable 20 plus point victory with him using a mixture of badge kissing, hush motions, hands to the ears to irritate the crowd back

Was great entertainment
whufc
Coach

Postby Dogwatcher » Wed Jul 29, 2015 12:55 pm

That's theatre. This booing is not the same as theatre. Adam Goodes is not a former player of any other club.
All booing is not the same - there is a context to every boo.
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby batmanbegins » Wed Jul 29, 2015 12:55 pm

I don't like the booing of Adam as there probably some people that are doing it for racist motives but I feel as if this is being massively over blown. The booing had died down for the previous few weeks but when u go over to perth they always get a bit feral and there was bound to be some booing. The few weeks they didn't talk about it, he was hardly booed but the more you bring it up and tell people what to do the more likely they are to do it. It's human nature for people to be hate being told what to do when they are paying to go to the games.
I find it hard to dislike someone when u don't know them but goodes annoys me on the footy field by the way he plays just like I don't like Ballantyne or maxwell when he played but that adds to the theatre of footy and it has nothing to do with race. The media and AFL trying to help the issue are actually making it a bigger problem in my opinion. Nowadays when you go to the footy when you hear a racist comment pretty much everyone gets on that person to shut the hell up as it's wrong and the majority know that. I think there's a reason why only 1 of the 72 aborigines in the league gets booed and the majority don't do it for racial reasons. It's kind if sad that goodes after an amazing career is getting booed in his final year but he certainly doesn't help himself in my opinion.
batmanbegins
Reserves

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 187 times

Postby cracka » Wed Jul 29, 2015 12:56 pm

whufc wrote:
cracka wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:

Agree but I think people got upset that she has now been labelled a racist and put through hell when (potentially) her comments had zero racist motives.

Only she will ever know what her motives were. I wouldn't be surprised either way

I reckon that's what he said at the time that she will be unfairly labelled a racist.
cracka
Veteran

Has liked: 462 times
Been liked: 567 times
Grassroots Team: Onkaparinga Valley

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed Jul 29, 2015 12:58 pm

cracka wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:

The actual incident, not the wash up.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed Jul 29, 2015 1:00 pm

whufc wrote:

I think there are plenty of worse remarks that could be made if she intended to be racist.

If it wasn't for the Andrew Symonds thing I wouldn't have known it was a racist remark.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby whufc » Wed Jul 29, 2015 1:07 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:
whufc wrote:

I think there are plenty of worse remarks that could be made if she intended to be racist.

If it wasn't for the Andrew Symonds thing I wouldn't have known it was a racist remark.

Agree I tend to think her comments werent racially motivated but in fairness to Adam Goodes he may not have known her age and in his own right may have been very emotional after hearing to his ears a racist comment.
whufc
Coach

Postby therisingblues » Wed Jul 29, 2015 1:09 pm

I see the advertiser has gone for the politically correct standard that anyone who boos Goodes is a racist.
Personally, even if I were to attend this weekend's game, I wouldn't boo him, and I think people shouldn't boo him. So that puts me somewhere inbetween, because I also think he's invited all of it.
In the 70's classroom I attended both parties would have been made to face the corner.
How some media outlets focus exclusively on Goodes' race and completely ignore his actions and hence any responsibility he has in this sad dance just reinforces the idea that he's a blameless victim. Just about any act he commits now will be justified following on from that thinking. Likewise, such thinking inevitably brands Australia with an undeserved title.
I think crows fans would most likely not boo Goodes, given their own recent suffering. But I see this media campaign as masking a large portion of the cause here, and if people's voices are ignored, they'll be expressed eventually,and historically this has ugly results.
I'm gonna sit back, crack the top off a Pale Ale, and watch the Double Blues prevail
1915, 1919, 1926, 1932, 1940, 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1974, 1976, 2002, 2016, 2017
therisingblues
Coach

Has liked: 369 times
Been liked: 514 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby bennymacca » Wed Jul 29, 2015 1:16 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:
whufc wrote:

Thats not your call to make, thats Adams.
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby therisingblues » Wed Jul 29, 2015 1:19 pm

bennymacca wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:
whufc wrote:

Thats not your call to make, thats Adams.

Yep, no right to comment unless you agree with him.
I'm gonna sit back, crack the top off a Pale Ale, and watch the Double Blues prevail
1915, 1919, 1926, 1932, 1940, 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1974, 1976, 2002, 2016, 2017
therisingblues
Coach

Has liked: 369 times
Been liked: 514 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby bennymacca » Wed Jul 29, 2015 1:21 pm

What?

I am saying what you think is offensive is irrelevant to what he thinks is offensive
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby woodublieve12 » Wed Jul 29, 2015 1:21 pm

Nope, it's still Adams... We can't assume what offends someone and what doesn't...
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Has liked: 3026 times
Been liked: 2401 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL